Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Most notable thing in the interviews is that they actually began development on this expansion in January 2019. Then because the game was successful, they decided to restart development and make it much bigger. At RPGSite they say it has about the same amount of content as Monarch.

Here's a few more interviews:
https://www.mmorpg.com/the-outer-wo...y-player-response-to-original-game-2000118863
https://audioboom.com/posts/7638969-the-outer-worlds-peril-on-gorgon-interview
https://checkpointmagazine.com/interview-obsidian-on-the-outer-worlds-peril-on-gorgon-dlc/
https://www.shacknews.com/article/1...orgon-interview-from-pulp-sci-fi-to-pulp-noir

Last edited:

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
They're calling it an expansion, not a DLC, so I expect more than 5h of content. But otherwise yeah, lack of improvements on the mechanical side is a massive disappointment so far. What good is a higher level cap if there's nothing interesting to gain from the levels anyway.

But now you can pick new perks, like +3% to walk speed or +5 to science weapons damage!

I fixed your typos.

That's actually reasonable.

I think this is the priece if you use game pass (10% discount). The base price is $14,99.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
After Outer Worlds, i'm not looking forward to this.
I pretty much ignored that one and didn't read the thread. Was it just boring, or was it incredibly buggy to top it all off?
I didn't encounter any bugs in my short time with Outer Worlds. I wouldn't even say it was boring exactly, just lackluster and undercooked.

I quit when a group of raiders took a hostage, and you could overhear them talking about how much of a ransom they could get, and how they wished they could get this over with. But there was no way to bargain or negotiate with them, sneak past them or distract them to save the hostage - the only way to continue that mission was to walk towards them while left clicking.

Outer Worlds is the most solidly meh game I've played this year.

Flou

Arbiter
First of two projects huh? Maybe this will be the “Hearts of Stone” sized one and then there will be a larger “Blood and Wine” type expansion? Didn’t expect them to do two, I honestly only expected one and for them to then move on to the sequel.

They are on pre-production with TOW2. They don't have the staff to fully staff it right now, with Avowed taking bulk of the work force. Once Avowed starts ramping down, they will throw staff at TOW2.

Anyways, it's better that they take their time with the 2nd one. Cain and Boyarsky aren't stupid, give them time and resources and they should be able to make a way better game than the original.

Flou

Arbiter
As expected, a 5 hour DLC that'll probably cost 30 bux and offers one big tube map (because consoles still can't handle open spaces) and half a dozen items.

That's GamePass for you. They need steady stream of new content from their studios. When you have studios like Obsidian, you will want to expand their games with DLCs.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
I can't wait to pay $8.99 for the Definitive Enhanced Special Edition GoTY version during the summer 2021 steam sale.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Well, naturally. The DLC is where they make the real money, after all.

Apparently The Outer Worlds not only exists and was indeed released, but costs $60 when not on sale. Now, I'm usually the last person to price-haggle, but uh... the developers themselves have said that this was a relatively low-budget initial effort, and it's generally agreed to be 20-30 hours long.

I paid Styg over $200 for Underrail by buying lots of copies and giving them away for free. I paid $250 for Pillars of Eternity (oof) and $1,000 for Numanuma (finally learned my crowdfunding lesson there). I'm not a damned beggar. That said, in this industry, how do you justify charging $60 (and $30? for DLC) for a small-scale, limited-budget effort? I don't understand.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
That said, in this industry, how do you justify charging $60 (and $30? for DLC) for a small-scale, limited-budget effort? I don't understand.

Because how a product is priced has nothing to do with the cost production but more on customer prespective the product (and how that affect sales adn relted investment project matrix e.g. how much to reach BEP, etc).

Most indie games are cheap not (only) due to relatively low production cost but also because nobody would pay 30 USD+ for relatively unknown indie games. A strong example is Rimworld: it is indie games with massive breakout success. While the pricing is still on the indie level, it is one of the few indie games with nearly no sales at all in Steam. The dev knows that most people today know that it is a very good "DF lite" and know they can get away with their pricing strategy (namely having no discount at all).

It is also why Apple products that is made in China can be more expensive than phone made in countries with more expensive production cost than China (e.g. Samsung).

While no concrete data on revenue and dev cost exist for TOW it is generally accepted that TOW is a financial and critical success for Obsidian. It is for all intent a and purposes a "good game" in the mainstream and thus can be sold for higher price point. DLC for such game of course, follow the same strategy.

Flou

Arbiter

Brians Heins hinted about this in one of the MattChats. He is working as a Content Director currently with a very small team on a new large project that is in pre-production. Sawyer's Missouri has been in the works long enough for it to leave pre-production, so it's not that and the scope for that game is small, so definitely not Project Missouri.

Heins worked on The Outer Worlds and Cain & Boyarsky are clearly up to something since Carrie Patel and most likely Brandon Adler took over reins for the two TOW DLCs.

The game was commercially successful. They will make a sequel to it, sooner than later. So few staff members working on it makes perfect sense, so once production on other projects ramps down (the DLCs and Avowed), they have the guidelines for the staff members ready.

With Avowed and Outer Worlds both being "the big projects" at Obsidian, it would seem likely that a sequel to TOW is next in line, rather than them coming up with a 3rd IP.

Wunderbar

Arcane
With Avowed and Outer Worlds both being "the big projects" at Obsidian, it would seem likely that a sequel to TOW is next in line, rather than them coming up with a 3rd IP.
they are still going to follow in someone elses footsteps.

bioware: mass effect - dragon age - mass effect - dragon age - mass effect ...
bethesda: fallout - TES - fallout - TES - fallout ...
CDPR: witcher - CP77 - witcher (?) - CP77 (?) ...

Obsidian: TOW - FPS POE - TOW - FPS POE ...

RepHope

Savant
They are on pre-production with TOW2.

Source?
MS has said they want to turn TOW into a franchise. We’ll probably know if they actually will if we hear that MS has bought out Take-Two’s right of first refusal with TOW2. There’s no way MS is letting TOW2 release on PS and no way Take-Two would allow Obsidian ignoring the largest console base. So if Obsidian wants to make a sequel MS will have to buy out Take-Two when it comes to the IP.

Duraframe300

Arcane
They are on pre-production with TOW2.

Source?
MS has said they want to turn TOW into a franchise. We’ll probably know if they actually will if we hear that MS has bought out Take-Two’s right of first refusal with TOW2. There’s no way MS is letting TOW2 release on PS and no way Take-Two would allow Obsidian ignoring the largest console base. So if Obsidian wants to make a sequel MS will have to buy out Take-Two when it comes to the IP.

Was it ever confirmed that they even have first refusal rights for OW2?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom