Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Stop defending this shit you spastic

9ted6

Educated
Boyarsky is not anti-capitalism. He's anti-corporation and who wouldn't be? Even corporations are anti-corporation.
To reddit Fallout's known as the definitive anti-capitalist game. They're wrong but that's its reputation and at this point it's what the writers say too.

Alot of TOW's fanfare came from the same people who praised it for, in their eyes, going back to Fallout's roots, that aren't actually, and pushing a capitalism bad message.

Silverfish

Arbiter
pushing a capitalism bad message.

And even that would have been fine (put aside Epic / Microsoft / Walmart for a second), but you can't even get into TOW on that front since it's also desperately trying to be funny. A critique of capitalism, or more accurately corporate overreach as Roguey pointed out, albeit from a aging gen x'er and rainbow-haired dyke millennial perspective, that took their perceived issues at least somewhat seriously would have gone down far smoother. There's a place for Das Kapital and a place for Dan Harmon sitcoms, but never together.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
No, the nu-trilogy is full of bad, nonsensical writing.
So is the Outer Worlds.

The writing choices they made with Parvati's character seem sensible enough to me.
And yet they don't make any sense even though it seems that way to you, the choices are objectively stupid. This isn't a matter of taste.

As Tim Cain says in his videos, something that doesn't appeal to you doesn't make it "bad" it means it's not for you.
That's exactly what R*ddit and other shitlibs told people who didn't like the NuStarWars. Verbatim.

They're not my friends, and you're wrong. She's the character people talked about the most. Here you are bringing her up years later.
I'm playing the game now :lol: Kind of makes sense to talk about this now from my perspective.

This is an "I am on the spectrum and need everything spelled out for me in no uncertain terms immediately" complaint. Most people don't write things that way.
No, "They're not my friends, and you're wrong." is an "I am on the spectrum and need everything spelled out for me in no uncertain terms immediately" comment. I have no idea who your friends are, it was a rhetorical comment — you know made by people who aren't
crazyrobot.gif

Your interpretation is just bizarre. Not normal. Sorry bro. I don't know why you want to die on this hill.

"Well and "bad" are very subjective in this case, because the date night quest is extremely popular with a lot of the people who liked The Outer Worlds. To paraphrase Dr. Frank-N-Furter, they didn't make it for you.
Deservedly rated retarded for this comment since that's exactly what nu-trilogy sycophants screeched for years. "They didn't make it for you".

You realize the nu-trilogy is full of bad, nonsensical writing. This is the same. I don't know who they made it for, nor do I care. I don't have to be the target audience to appreciate good writing and reject bad writing.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
And yet they don't make any sense even though it seems that way to you, the choices are objectively stupid. This isn't a matter of taste.
You're not even trying to make your argument. You're just making statements backed up by nothing. "It's bad because I say it is and I'm being objective." No, you're not.

I'd wish that rating meant something, but almost any functional AAA game gets 80+. Steam rating system is getting close to Metacritic, where even trash games are getting 6-8 out of 10.
Metacritic is an average of scores, Steam is a simple up/down vote. No surprise that slop that's meant to be popular is popular with the masses.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
You're not even trying to make your argument. You're just making statements backed up by nothing. "It's bad because I say it is and I'm being objective." No, you're not.
lmao Why would I try to make my argument again, I already did and in "response" you made some personal attacks about autism and didn't address my argument at all. It's right there if you want to address it and if not then fine, but don't complain I didn't make an argument. That's very dishonest.

Gargaune

Magister
You're not even trying to make your argument. You're just making statements backed up by nothing. "It's bad because I say it is and I'm being objective."
New to the Codex?

The Otter Worlds is bad.

Because I say it is.

I'm being SUPER objective.

Quillon

Arcane
Roguey's argument is based on TOW being a well liked mainstream game like NV, Skyrim, Mass Effect etc and saying "yo its not made for you" to the prestigious codex. To re-state the obv: TOW is mediocre/shit(even for mainstream) and people elevated it to the level of such games for a limited time only because they hated Bethesda/F76 at the time.

Just taking a peek at concurrent player data for such games & TOW says it all.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Roguey's argument is based on TOW being a well liked mainstream game like NV, Skyrim, Mass Effect etc and saying "yo its not made for you" to the prestigious codex. To re-state the obv: TOW is mediocre/shit(even for mainstream) and people elevated it to the level of such games for a limited time only because they hated Bethesda/F76 at the time.

Just taking a peak at concurrent player data for such games & TOW says it all.
You can also look at Steam achievement data to get an idea of its attrition rate. A quarter of players give up on the game before even finishing Edgewater.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

Just taking a peek at concurrent player data for such games & TOW says it all.
By February 2020, the game had sold over two million units. By May 2021, the game had sold over three million units. By August 2021, the game had sold over four million units.

It's now at five. I'm sure a lot of publishers wish their terrible games could have such a great long tail.

Quillon

Arcane
It's now at five. I'm sure a lot of publishers wish their terrible games could have such a great long tail.
They got lucky with the reason stated, everyone and their grandmother jumped on the bandwagon; game had a good rep from the get go and no one have a good reason/cares enough to even shit on it, result is people still buying and not playing evidently. 5 mil sold and under 450 concurrent players on steam, even outer wilds, that game people confused with this gaym has 5x+ of that lmao

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
They got lucky with the reason stated, everyone and their grandmother jumped on the bandwagon; game had a good rep from the get go and no one have a good reason/cares enough to even shit on it, result is people still buying and not playing evidently. 5 mil sold and under 450 concurrent players on steam, even outer wilds, that game people confused with this gaym has 5x+ of that lmao
Seems likely it's more popular on console than PC.

Yosharian

Arcane
Alright bros I have finished Murder on Eridanos, achieved maximum level and I am ready to dump the game since I have zero interest in playing Peril on Gorgon again nor completing the rest of the main quest.

So did the two mods I used make the game fun to play? Eh. Meh. Kinda. So unfortunately the mods weren't as polished as I'd hoped, and the weapon overhaul mod overtuned the Shrink Ray which resulted in it doing over 11k DPS. I killed the queen boss at the end of MoE in about 3 seconds. On a companion-focused build.

Anyway, I still enjoyed the journey of playing the game way more than I did originally with my no-companion stealth sniper, but I can't really say that the gameplay was all that interesting overall. It was just 'ok'. Encounter design and monster variety in this game is pretty awful. Mostly I only had to think at all when there were large packs of enemies, and even then it was pretty trivial to kill them. And this was with enemies having ten times their usual HP. Developers have to stop copy pasting enemies all over the map and calling it a day. And they have to develop more interesting gameplay for enemies to display. It's just sad.

The game's other flaws obviously can't be fixed with mods, and... boy. They still suck as hard as I remembered. The tone of this fucking game.. it's all over the place. I can't take the game seriously, which is a shame because it's clearly trying hard to tell some interesting stories at times. MoE's whole thing with the parasites wasn't a terrible plotline, and there was real potential here. But the sheer goofiness of the game just constantly detracts from anything it tries to do.

MoE's 'murder mystery' approach was a refreshing change of pace, but it was mostly wasted potential yet again because there isn't really any different ways to solve these quests that are meaningful. You are just exploring the linear paths that the devs created, in order to arrive at the end and fight the boss. This is terribly disappointing. To think that this company once made FNV... again, it's just sad.

So yeah, I still can't really recommend the game on any basis. Mods can't fix it. It's just bad. I'm glad I tried out Murder on Eridanos though. It was interesting to see Obsidian really trying hard to do something different. And falling flat on their arses. How the mighty have fallen.

KVVRR

Learned
I think a good way to view how popular a product actually is in either the public eye or in it's own fanbase is genuinely just going by how many memes you see out there. For example, despite being an indie game commonly confused with this one, I've seen a lot of memes and videos talking about Outer Wilds, even just funny clips that pop up every now and then. The DLC they did a few years ago brought a new wave of content with it as well.

I've yet to see a single meme from any of the DLCs for Outer Worlds, or any for the base game that isn't comparing Phineas with Rick Sanchez.

9ted6

Educated
I think a good way to view how popular a product actually is in either the public eye or in it's own fanbase is genuinely just going by how many memes you see out there. For example, despite being an indie game commonly confused with this one, I've seen a lot of memes and videos talking about Outer Wilds, even just funny clips that pop up every now and then. The DLC they did a few years ago brought a new wave of content with it as well.

I've yet to see a single meme from any of the DLCs for Outer Worlds, or any for the base game that isn't comparing Phineas with Rick Sanchez.
I don't know of anyone discussing anything about Outer Worlds on a regular basis whereas faction arguments about New Vegas and even FO4 are common to this day.

Latelistener

Arcane
Cain explains his retirement as a desire for freedom: "There are games I want to make … I’ve been promised too many times, 'You’ll have final say, we’ll take care of you, this will all be great,' and that didn’t happen. I’m unwilling to believe it for the eighth time."
Doesn't look like he's all happy with Outer Worlds.

Wesp5

Arcane
Cain explains his retirement as a desire for freedom: "There are games I want to make … I’ve been promised too many times, 'You’ll have final say, we’ll take care of you, this will all be great,' and that didn’t happen. I’m unwilling to believe it for the eighth time."
Doesn't look like he's all happy with Outer Worlds.
I'm playing the DLCs right now and I can understand it. There are almost no technical bugs, so Tim as a programmer did a great work! The art direction from loading screen advertisements to the overall future-as-expected-in-the-past is fantastic too, which is probably what Leonard was responsible for. But the writing, the characters and the story! Most journals and emails are just boring, not funny at all. Most of the characters look ugly, not only the women, and are forgettable or completely woke as well. Just take a quick look at the Llama quest! Both DLCs basically have the same background: bad companies create bad products in an inhumane way. The murder investigation was more interesting at least, but if you think it through, the story makes no sense at all because the company would kill of all its customers in the long run. Also they couldn't decide it this was to be a parody or a horror game. They clearly were missing a competent writer like Mitsoda or Avellone...

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom