Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I meant ME as in straight male who'd like that character for some reason rather than that other reason, not as ME in every taste.
No one caters to this audience anymore. It's seen as low status, gauche.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
if players "loved" parvati its only because she's a cute innocent mechanic girl and that's thanks to bioware dude, anything else/woke shit slapped onto her as content doesn't matter at all

also defending the lame fetch quests to get Parvati not-laid... you don't have to defend everything just cos you said you liked the game lol
https://www.vice.com/en/article/3kx...parvati-the-surprise-star-of-the-outer-worlds

When Dollarhyde was handed control of writing Parvati, a few essential parts of the character were already in place from L’Etoile, including the fact that Parvati identified as ace.

Why would you think a Bioware writer wasn't woke? That place is Ground Zero for wokeness in RPGs.

People like Parvati because they know they're supposed to like her, and they know they're supposed to trumpet that they like her, because she's a diverse Pajeet and a "cute" lesbian. It's just people seeking easy brownie points and social standing by proclaiming their adherence to current dogma. None of the characters are well written, even Vicar Max, the most vaguely interesting, is incoherent.

Wesp5

Arcane
The problem I had with Parvati and her quest is that a) it looked like they basically tried to cram as much diverse groups into one character as possible from a check list and b) while the whole colony is dying the player takes the time to buy soap and clothes, which probably any female would have more taste in than somebody who has been frozen for hundreds of years anyway ;).

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
"Players" includes a lot of people. Lefties, libs, queers. Not everyone is You.
Overwhelming majority is ME
https://store.steampowered.com/app/578650/The_Outer_Worlds/ 84% positive
Otter Worlds on Steam is an IQ test. The people who bought it there were too stupid to see how shitty it was from its promotional materials AND from the year it spent as an EGS exclusive.
Mostly yes. Smarter gaymers first tried it through the Xbox Pass.

But more importantly many gaymers are on the spectrum and can't really perceive things like writing quality, cultural nuances, social cues etc. In TOW you can run around semi-open worlds, shoot guns, do quests, collect items. Watch numbers go up.

That's what's important for many people, that's the only thing they see. Wokeness? Nonsensical world building? Boring NPCs? Hidden agendas? What are you talking about? There's text, I click text, I get objective, I shoot things, get the item, quest completed, XP gained. What agenda?

Parvati? Pretty face. I like pretty faces. Thumbs up on Steam.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
You know, it might also be that Parvati is one of only a few females in the game without that haircut.

iu

Wesp5

Arcane

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Yeah, Whedon is nothing if not cunning, he knew what would get the lower-body nerd blood flowing.

Alas, the reality is there are very few female mechanics and even fewer that are cute. And none of them is interested in anyone with a dick.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Sure, but why do I want to see that in a video game?
I keep saying this content isn't for people like you. It's for the Dollarhyde-crowd. You can tell her to shut up and get back to work and the quest concludes, leaving you to go on to do the things you want to do.

Silverfish

Arbiter
Yeah, I get that, but I don't need people to buy my games to avoid being shut down by Microsoft, do I?

9ted6

Educated
"Players" includes a lot of people. Lefties, libs, queers. Not everyone is You.
Overwhelming majority is ME
https://store.steampowered.com/app/578650/The_Outer_Worlds/ 84% positive
Well yeah. To review a game on Steam you need to buy it. People who weren't interested in Outer Worlds either because of its pozzed writing or dumbed down and shallow gameplay or some other reason didn't buy it so they didn't review it, so of course the reviews you get are going to be from people who didn't have issues with what kept others who would make more negative reviews from buying it.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Yeah, I get that, but I don't need people to buy my games to avoid being shut down by Microsoft, do I?
Simple. To review a game on Steam you need to buy it. People who weren't interested in Outer Worlds either because of its pozzed writing or dumbed down and shallowgameplay or some other reason didn't buy it so they didn't review it.
Tim Cain says TOW is his best selling game by far and it was very profitable.

Meanwhile Starfield may have sold significantly more copies, but it is doing far worse on the user score front https://store.steampowered.com/app/1716740/Starfield/

All that matters is making profit while pleasing your target audience. Perhaps they may screw that up with the sequel, we'll see.

9ted6

Educated
Simple. To review a game on Steam you need to buy it. People who weren't interested in Outer Worlds either because of its pozzed writing or dumbed down and shallowgameplay or some other reason didn't buy it so they didn't review it.
Tim Cain says TOW is his best selling game by far and it was very profitable.

All that matters is making profit while pleasing your target audience. Perhaps they may screw that up with the sequel, we'll see.
I remember that they said it didn't meet expectations and longterm interest in it died out quickly but I could be wrong. Cain hasn't worked on a major title in over 20 years so obviously this new AAA release is gonna be his most profitable game yet but I'm not sure that's saying much.

All that matters is profit and catering to your demographic yes, but that doesn't mean it's a good game in any way.

Lhynn

Arcane
Jesus jumping Christ, this game is an ugly, mechanically drab pice of currentyear shit written by SoCal dangerhairs, how can ya'll take it seriously enough to talk about what's a problem or not? Are we on Codex or Reddit?

It's like seriously discussing the merits and flaws of Marvels or nuGhostbusters or a new gender studies textbook. Fuck this gay Earth, seriously.

Full analsys, very well done, fairly interesting to watch, far more interesting than the game itself. Very informative about what NOT to do in storytelling.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
^ Yep, seen those. Mainly focusing on the gameplay and the individual worlds.

This one is absolutely spot on about the cringe writing tho, which for me is the biggest problem with the game.

9ted6

Educated
^ Yep, seen those. Mainly focusing on the gameplay and the individual worlds.

This one is absolutely spot on about the cringe writing tho, which for me is the biggest problem with the game.

I forgot how ugly this game is. They clearly wanted it to look like Borderlands then gave up after making the environments and tried to make the NPCs look realistic but instead they look uncanny and repulsive.

It's annoying how TOW's writers and Fallout's and their fans think that showing off corrupt corporations is an epic dunk on capitalism when capitalism and corporate economics aren't always mutually inclusive. In a way powerful corporations dictating labor from the top down is a different system and is in some senses itself anticapitalistic.

Instead of a nuanced view though they look at a boss being mean or Vault Tec being shady and use that as proof why capitalism never works and is completely evil. The fans miss the point and the writers miss it even more.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
They clearly wanted it to look like Borderlands then gave up after making the environments and tried to make the NPCs look realistic but instead they look uncanny and repulsive.
It's just the evolution of Boyarsky's style. Some unsung female artist tried to explain how wrong and un-Fallout it was, but he refused to listen.

It's annoying how TOW's writers and Fallout's and their fans think that showing off corrupt corporations is an epic dunk on capitalism when capitalism and corporate economics aren't always mutually inclusive.
Boyarsky is not anti-capitalism. He's anti-corporation and who wouldn't be? Even corporations are anti-corporation.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom