Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
The companion quest to get that shy lesbian mechanic out of her shell to find love with an older woman really grinds my gears.
You can just tell her to stick to her job and not have to do that quest at all.
That is what I did, but the narrative damage is done.

"Parvati that's such a beautiful name!", "I'll contact you about tech related things on the email (wink wink)", "My grandmother brought use here safely, my mother took care of the ship after her, but I'm afraid the line will end with me (dun dun dun!)",

"Oh Captain uh that woman just sent me a poem and it is making me feel weird in my chest area", "I think the engine she's talking about fondling is me", etc.

This and more was already vomited at me long before I had the chance to tell her to shut up about this stupid plot and get back to work.

I am massively disappointed that a companion quest is a romantic quest. What the fucking fuck.

The player-centric romantic quests in Bioware games were annoying and stupid, but they were not the companion quests. Even those degenerate shits didn't make companion quests about getting your sidekick laid.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Someone made a list years ago that contained the people who worked on FONV and around 74% of them are no longer at Obsidian.
There you go. But I can't find that list anymore.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
I don't even remember other companions other than first two and the robot. The others seemed so insufferable from the first line of dialogue that I didn't even recruit them.
irk the two I recruited at the space station, I can't even remember their names, but how they were recruited is just baffling.

One just sits in front of your ship and expects you to pick him up like a stray puppy for no reason what so ever. You don't need another crewmember, he doesn't do anything useful — he's a dockworker and a bit of a moron — and his pitch to you is "I'm not bad at taking orders, just bad at taking stupid orders".

Wow. Look, he's vegetable-adjacent in the noggin already, and he's going to be the judge of what is a stupid order? lmao

The other one, whose name I also just can't remember, is equally difficult to understand. She wants to join your crew because she owes you one. That's it. You do her a small favor by checking up on her friend — and she's like "oh well, I guess I'll just have to join your crew now to repay you". What.. just happened?

Even doing her that favor felt awkward. She was standing in the reception of a medical facility demanding to see a patient who she claimed was her friend. So nobody ever would inject themselves into that conversation in a hospital. It's just not your business — and sure you can skip it all, but then you're out of a companion. Not that it matters because the game actually rewards you for not having any companions with some of the best perks.

I can see how this kind of sidequest would have been set up so you'd have to be the most nosy and annoying type of person to even consider doing it, but this is not just a sidequest, this is to get a companion.

So after Dollarhyde, one of the writers of this game is Chris L'Etoile, formerly at Bioware writing for Mass Effect and ME2. He wrote characters like Ashley (ME1 Ashley) and Legion (ME2), but he also wrote Thane and EDI — point being they have a veteran of Mass Effect on the main writing staff and they're making a pseudo Mass Effect game. And they fail at writing companions.

How terrible is this Dollaryde bitch?

Someone made a list years ago that contained the people who worked on FONV and around 74% of them are no longer at Obsidian.
That is to be expected after over a decade, the main problem is who those people were replaced with and that's mostly deranged leftist dangerhair loonies.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
I don't see how this is damage. People do things like this.
You didn't read my post. It was a short post Why are you then replying?

I'll quote the relevant part:

The player-centric romantic quests in Bioware games were annoying and stupid, but they were not the companion quests. Even those degenerate shits didn't make companion quests about getting your sidekick laid.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I don't see how this is damage. People do things like this.
You didn't read my post. It was a short post Why are you then replying?

I'll quote the relevant part:

Yeah, I don't see a problem with this. A lot of people liked this quest. In that regard, it was a success.

In Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines one quest involves getting a prostitute for a cemetery caretaker. Did you froth and seethe over that as well?

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
In Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines one quest involves getting a prostitute for a cemetery caretaker. Did you froth and seethe over that as well?
Was that a companion quest?

Why no it wasn't. Did you fap over that as well?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Jesus jumping Christ, this game is an ugly, mechanically drab pice of currentyear shit written by SoCal dangerhairs, how can ya'll take it seriously enough to talk about what's a problem or not? Are we on Codex or Reddit?

It's like seriously discussing the merits and flaws of Marvels or nuGhostbusters or a new gender studies textbook. Fuck this gay Earth, seriously.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
What difference does that make?
There's an entire universe out there. Worlds to explore.

Mysteries to solve. You just woke up in that universe and you team up with a person who has lived her whole life there. She's seen things you've never seen, heard things you've never heard. She's one of your gateways into this universe.

But no. She just wants to get laid. Oi. Can u help?

That's the difference it makes.

Jesus jumping Christ, this game is an ugly, mechanically drab pice of currentyear shit written by SoCal dangerhairs, how can ya'll take it seriously enough to talk about what's a problem or not? Are we on Codex or Reddit?

It's like seriously discussing the merits and flaws of Marvels or nuGhostbusters or a new gender studies textbook. Fuck this gay Earth, seriously.

There is plenty of potential in this game, it's just ruined by [current year] bullshit. I like Ultima V, I don't mind if it is ugly or mechanically drab. It's an RPG (cRPG whatever) so things like graphics are really not very important.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

Mysteries to solve. You just woke up in that universe and you team up with a person who has lived her whole life there. She's seen things you've never seen, heard things you've never heard. She's one of your gateways into this universe.

She had a mundane existence in a backwater and joining your crew is the first time she's done anything exciting. Getting into a romantic relationship is one of those new things.

Also she's asexual, she doesn't want to have sex with the other lesbo.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron

She had a mundane existence in a backwater and joining your crew is the first time she's done anything exciting. Getting into a romantic relationship is one of those new things.

Also she's asexual, she doesn't want to have sex with the other lesbo.
Bruh. Don't headcanon me. This isn't a simulator, it's a story-based RPG. If her life is mundane and oh-so-boring, that's the fault of the writers.

They're telling a story and (ostensibly) trying to entertain with that story.

She was working for one of the corporations, their main technician in fact. Like her father. Could he have seen something unusual while she was away, told her about it after she returned from school and right before he died? He could have, but that sounds like work. Not something [current year] writers are into. Evidently.

Nah she's just a cipher for "a mundane existence" and her side quest is completely out of left field. There was no narrative lead into this. No setup. That's some shoddy writing.

She never talked about wanting a relationship with anyone before. I not trying to hate on this game, but this is a companion quest. That's one of the major quest types in a game like this.

Clearly you were personally very happy with it. Great, but it is still a shit companion quest and a waste of opportunity to flesh out the character.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
If her life is mundane and oh-so-boring, that's the fault of the writers.
You're getting mad that a game made narrative choices that you didn't want. It is impossible for someone who isn't you to make a game where all the content is equally appealing to you.

They're telling a story and (ostensibly) trying to entertain with that story.
And they succeeded. A lot of people loved Parvati.

Nah she's just a cipher for "a mundane existence" and her side quest is completely out of left field. There was no narrative lead into this. No setup. That's some shoddy writing.

She never talked about wanting a relationship with anyone before. I not trying to hate on this game, but this is a companion quest. That's one of the major quest types in a game like this.
You meet a guy with a crush on her early on and she is not into him.

Companions and companion quests in The Outer Worlds are not important. You can skip all of them and take no companions. They're just more content which you can choose to do or not do.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
You're getting mad that a game made narrative choices that you didn't want. It is impossible for someone who isn't you to make a game where all the content is equally appealing to you.
Oh I remember that soy-logic when the NuStarWars was released, it didn't apply there and it doesn't apply here either. It's not a narrative choice I don't like, it's the lazy and poorly executed writing I don't like. It's objectively bad in other words. Lazy writing isn't a narrative choice.

And they succeeded. A lot of people loved Parvati.
That may be true in your circle of friends, but come on. Generally, she's much like this game. Unremarkable and already forgotten. People still obsess and discuss characters from Mass Effect lmao but this one is not discussed. What's there to discuss?

You meet a guy with a crush on her early on and she is not into him.
If anything that's extremely unremarkable and something everyone ever has experienced personally. Do you know a person who had a crush on anther person, but that person wasn't interested? Have you heard such a tale?

Did that mean the uninterested party was hinting at being asexual or homosexual? lmao of course not.

Narratively that was a setup for nothing. Narratively she should have had some relationship with that guy, e.g. told you he kissed her but she just didn't feel right about it. Something other than the most normal thing in existence which everyone has experienced.

Companions and companion quests in The Outer Worlds are not important. You can skip all of them and take no companions. They're just more content which you can choose to do or not do.
And that's a good thing™?

No. That's a bad thing. If you are doing companion quests, do them well. Or don't do companion quests at all, that's fine too. Just don't do them badly. Which they did in this case.

Quillon

Arcane
A lot of people loved Parvati.

if players "loved" parvati its only because she's a cute innocent mechanic girl and that's thanks to bioware dude, anything else/woke shit slapped onto her as content doesn't matter at all

also defending the lame fetch quests to get Parvati not-laid... you don't have to defend everything just cos you said you liked the game lol

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Oh I remember that soy-logic when the NuStarWars was released, it didn't apply there and it doesn't apply here either. It's not a narrative choice I don't like, it's the lazy and poorly executed writing I don't like. It's objectively bad in other words. Lazy writing isn't a narrative choice.
No, the nu-trilogy is full of bad, nonsensical writing. The writing choices they made with Parvati's character seem sensible enough to me. As Tim Cain says in his videos, something that doesn't appeal to you doesn't make it "bad" it means it's not for you.

That may be true in your circle of friends, but come on. Generally, she's much like this game. Unremarkable and already forgotten. People still obsess and discuss characters from Mass Effect lmao but this one is not discussed. What's there to discuss?
They're not my friends, and you're wrong. She's the character people talked about the most. Here you are bringing her up years later.

If anything that's extremely unremarkable and something everyone ever has experienced personally. Do you know a person who had a crush on anther person, but that person wasn't interested? Have you heard such a tale?

Did that mean the uninterested party was hinting at being asexual or homosexual? lmao of course not.

Narratively that was a setup for nothing. Narratively she should have had some relationship with that guy, e.g. told you he kissed her but she just didn't feel right about it. Something other than the most normal thing in existence which everyone has experienced.
This is an "I am on the spectrum and need everything spelled out for me in no uncertain terms immediately" complaint. Most people don't write things that way.

No. That's a bad thing. If you are doing companion quests, do them well. Or don't do companion quests at all, that's fine too. Just don't do them badly. Which they did in this case.
"Well and "bad" are very subjective in this case, because the date night quest is extremely popular with a lot of the people who liked The Outer Worlds. To paraphrase Dr. Frank-N-Furter, they didn't make it for you.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
if players "loved" parvati its only because she's a cute innocent mechanic girl and that's thanks to bioware dude, anything else/woke shit slapped onto her as content doesn't matter at all

also defending the lame fetch quests to get Parvati not-laid... you don't have to defend everything just cos you said you liked the game lol
https://www.vice.com/en/article/3kx...parvati-the-surprise-star-of-the-outer-worlds

When Dollarhyde was handed control of writing Parvati, a few essential parts of the character were already in place from L’Etoile, including the fact that Parvati identified as ace.

Why would you think a Bioware writer wasn't woke? That place is Ground Zero for wokeness in RPGs.

Quillon

Arcane

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Why would you think a Bioware writer wasn't woke? That place is Ground Zero for wokeness in RPGs.
I knew that already
so Chris defined her as asexual and this is a coincidental self-insert...
which still doesn't change
if players "loved" parvati its only because she's a cute innocent mechanic girl and that's thanks to bioware dude
"Players" includes a lot of people. Lefties, libs, queers. Not everyone is You.

Quillon

Arcane
"Players" includes a lot of people. Lefties, libs, queers. Not everyone is You.
Overwhelming majority is ME

So what you are trying to imply(that players "loved" her cos of her asexuality related content) is more "wrong" than what I'm doing :)

Butter

Arcane
Patron
This is a circuitous way of saying the game was made for Reddit, but even Reddit doesn't think too highly of this slop.

Butter

Arcane
Patron

Quillon

Arcane

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom