Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

The PS5 and Xbox 2 thread - it's happening

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Makabb, Mar 22, 2018.

1. Abu Antar Prestigious Gentleman Tweet, tweet Patron

Abu Antar
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    They aren't doing well Japan, but are doing fine in the rest of the world. They are fine.

Anyway, added three more PS5 games to my backlog.

R&C: Rift Apart
    Sackboy: A Big Adventure
    Tales of Arise

To be honest, I don't care how many PS5s Sony sells. I just want games to play.

Maybe you guys are right, and it is mostly scalped consoles.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. ferratilis Magister

ferratilis
    Funny thing about the new consoles is that they went from loading games for more than two minutes to almost instant loading. I wanted to try Yakuza Like a Dragon on the game pass for console, and they explain some mechanics on the loading screen, through lengthy paragraphs. But the thing is, you can barely read a sentence. Also, when playing Halo Infinite, it loads the map after a second or two and then you have to wait for all the other players. Whether it's PC players with SATA SSDs/HDDs or people with slow internet, I'm not sure. But times have definitely changed.

^ Top  
  3. mediocrepoet First disciple of Mediocrites Patron

mediocrepoet
    Codex 2012 MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
    This is what I was getting at before. Stores have rows of PS5 games and peripherals and shit. I've never seen a console. Even on threads devoted to finding them on sale, the things are still selling through in minutes of going up.

It'd be funny if the scalpers got stuck holding the machines, but some retard is always willing to pay.

Personally, with almost everything coming to PC anyway for a better experience, I doubt I'll be picking up anymore consoles except maybe Nintendo things. I was interested in possibly getting a PS5 a year ago, but the lack of availability changed what would have been a hype fuelled impulse purchase to a slow and considered one and that's never good for these sorts of things. I mean, I'll probably die before getting through my backlog as it is.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  4. Caim Arcane

Caim
    Pretty much. I've seen the Series S on sale here and there, but without a disc drive that's a no-go for me. I never got a PS4 even though there's a few games on it that I'd like to try eventually, but I would not be surprised if most of those got PC releases between now and a few years.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. TheDiceMustRoll Game Analist

Self-Ejected
    Xbox One players and PC players with shit HDDs.

• How about this as a button How about this as a button x 1
    • Racist Racist x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. hpstg Savant

hpstg
    What if you can afford PCIe4.0 SSDs for everything. What then.

• retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. TemplarGR Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Bethestard

TemplarGR
    SSDs are overrated. Yes they seek,access, and read, fast. But PC users have MOAR RAM. I bought 32GB of DDR4 3200mhz RAM for a mere 108 euros last week. And it is general purpose ram, not for graphics.... Graphics have moar vram. And guess what: RAM IS FASTER THAN SSDs.

In a few years, we are going to preload whole vidya games into RAM. Try to beat that with your console ssds, plebs.

• not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Gerrard Arcane

Gerrard
    Nothing. You can't even make full use of an NVMe SSD's speed due to memory/CPU bottlenecks.

^ Top  
  9. fizzelopeguss Arcane

fizzelopeguss

They'll do it. It's a way for them to reintroduce a premium/full priced SKU 2-3 years down the line without starting a whole new generation.

I do think this gen will have a length similar to the 360/PS3 though due to the supply chain issues.

^ Top  
  10. ferratilis Magister

ferratilis
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Abu Antar Prestigious Gentleman Tweet, tweet Patron

Abu Antar
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    That's par for the course. Happened with PS3 and PS4, too. Took longer than expected, tbh.

^ Top  
  12. TheDiceMustRoll Game Analist

Self-Ejected
    imagine dying and being in any afterlife ever and having to explain to your ancestors that you died trying to scalp a ps5

• Funny Funny x 1
    • honk honk! honk honk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. TemplarGR Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Bethestard

TemplarGR
    Well, it is not illegal, it is a living.... They died in the line of work.

^ Top  
  14. TheDiceMustRoll Game Analist

Self-Ejected
    who cares if its legal

its legal to make money by filming yourself shoving sharpie pens up your asshole while paying two men to nut in your hair screaming "SHAMPOO SHAMPOO YOU'RE GONNA GET DAMPOO" while you scream "OOKIE POOKIE STAPLES DOOKIE" in most countries but you still do it every week and you're still a fucking moron for doing it, you and JamesDixon both

Last edited: Dec 1, 2021
    • Edgy Edgy x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. TemplarGR Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Bethestard

TemplarGR
    I am sorry, was i a bit too rough on your mom's ass last night and you got angry with me?

^ Top  
  16. aweigh Arcane

aweigh
    Play Tales of Arise on PC, because on PC you can use this mod https://www.nexusmods.com/talesofarise/mods/5?tab=description to disable the built-in Sharpening Filter that the devs put in the game which ruins the graphics. The game's default Sharpening Filter causes moire, noise and aliasing and shimmering, and makes everything look deep-fried. With the filter disabled via the mod (read the comments/instructions, you have to change a value in the mod's .ini file to '0') the game looks absolutely stunning, with zero aliasing or shimmering.

^ Top  
  17. Markman da Blitz master Patron

Markman
    Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Thank fuck for Gamepass cause this price hiking shit is getting on my nerves.
    Always fun to see AAA publishers charging over 100 euros for cross-gen bundle or whatever. Like who the fuck with the sane mind would click buy on that.

I spent most of my gaming time this year playing through Yakuza collection, played some AoE4, tried the Ascent, wanna play Forza 5 but aint got time, same for Halo, didnt even install it yet.
    Wanna play AoE4 more, it got that nostalgic feel to it but wanna finish Yakuza first, got a few hours in 5 to do then onto 6 to finish off the series.

It seems situation with the availability of the consoles is worse than last year when they released, I know like 3 people that have PS5. There is no way to order it either, like put me in a queue and guarantee my delivery in a few months but no can do.
    No wonder noone buys games on it cause there is no people that play it. Its like scalpers bought 90% of available consoles.
    When it comes to Xbox, there is some S model in the stores, there was even a sale for black friday, 3000 SEK(~280 euros) for S and Fifa 21 bundle.
    The X model I saw it last time in a store like 6 months ago, there should be some but nowhere to be found.

I still think its an awesome machine,with reduced loading times, FPS boosts, the Quick Resume feature is the best thing Im still pleasantly suprised by almost every time I boot up the machine.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. oddech_wymarlych_swiatow Arcane

oddech_wymarlych_swiatow
    For those who suffer from hardware shortage there may be an interesting alternative:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Fishy Fishy x 2
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. aweigh Arcane

aweigh

• Funny Funny x 1
    • popamole popamole x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. aweigh Arcane

aweigh

• WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    • Disgusting! Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Jrpgfan Erudite

Jrpgfan
    That guy is gonna get fired and could even lose his medical license. I'm pretty sure you can't publicly show not even a strand of hair of your patient without his consent.

Enviado de meu SM-G780G usando o Tapatalk

^ Top  
  22. Ezekiel Arcane

Ezekiel
    Shantae: Risky's Revenge is 172 MB on the PS5, but on a 66 GB Blu-ray disc. It can only play 66 and 100 GB game discs, apparently.

^ Top  
  23. ciox Arbiter

ciox
    Aren't console game discs always padded with junk data to maximum capacity? Even PS2 had this if I recall.

Some game rippers will give a damn and try to provide an option so you can download a rip without the padding, and add the padding yourself with a program, others won't and will just share one giant file with padding included.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.