Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The PS5 and Xbox 2 thread - it's happening

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Yeah, I can imagine buying a PC to play PC games, that one's easy.

The Decline

Arcane
Tbh I'm really happy I lack imagination to even try putting myself into mind of someone who would buy an xbox console and then try playing win98 games on it.

It's mostly about the fun of modding and the idea that you should be able to do what you want with the hardware you purchased. The PS4 can run Linux btw.

tommy heavenly6

Learned

The PS5 is slaying NetflixBawks despite still having supply-side issues.

I wish I could understand the obsession Europeans have with the Playstation brand, despite only playing normie multiplatform titles like FIFA and CoD. Must be a status thing at this point.

Caim

Arcane
Let's break out the list again, shall we?

So we got:

- A tech demo (Astro's Playroom)
- Twisted Metal for zoomers (Destruction Allstars)
- Remake of a game whose original was a cult hit and spawned a new genre (Demon's Souls)
- Two VR games (Dark Pictures and Horizon, both based on existing franchises)
- Two Final Fantasy games, one remake and the upcoming one (VII and XVI)
- A sequel to the big Spider-Man game of a few years back, and a spiritual sequel to that starring Wolverine. Also includes a game made by the same studio that made them a big name on the Playstation from the PS2 era onwards (Spider-Man, Wolverine, Ratchet & Clank)
- Two weeb spectacle fighters made by Korean and Japanese coomers respectively (Stellar Blade and Rise of the Ronin, the latter being made by the Dead or Alive people)

That's a dozen games, half of which aren't even out yet. Only games I'd even be interested in are Demon's Souls and Ratchet & Clank, and I have a machine powerful enough to emulate the first one.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I own one (PS5), and I am happy with my purchase. I still tell people that it doesn't really have many exclusives. This is not 100%, but in general, I play Jap games on PS5/Switch, and Western games on PC.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
I wish I could understand the obsession Europeans have with the Playstation brand, despite only playing normie multiplatform titles like FIFA and CoD. Must be a status thing at this point.
Playstation this side of the ocean are generally preferred over the XBox, for the simple reason that the PS2 was a mega success
Success which was due to in great part to the PS1 and the massive advertising investment Sony put in the PS2 over here

I hear about PS5 sales, but I rarely hear anything about games selling on it. The only numbers they’ve announced for Demon’s Souls was 1.4 million, (almost a year after it came out) which seems kind of low for a remake of a hyped up FromSoftware game in 2020.

Caim

Arcane
I hear about PS5 sales, but I rarely hear anything about games selling on it. The only numbers they’ve announced for Demon’s Souls was 1.4 million, (almost a year after it came out) which seems kind of low for a remake of a hyped up FromSoftware game in 2020.
Might have something to do with when the game came out not a lot of people had a PS5 yet.

SlamDunk

Arcane
EXCLUSIVE – PS5 Pro in Development, Could Release Late 2024 - Insider Gaming

Insider Gaming previously reported that a new PlayStation 5 with a detachable disc drive is scheduled to release later this year. It’s understood that this new model will phase out the current PlayStation 5 to cut down on production and shipping costs. In spite of the widespread reports, this is not the PS5 Pro model.

This is “just the beginning of new hardware coming to PlayStation users this generation”, said one source when talking about the detachable disc drive console.

As for what the PS5 specs will entail, details are limited. However, a recently-published patent by PlayStation architect Mark Cerny (spotted by @Onion00048) suggests that Sony Interactive Entertainment is looking to “accelerate” ray tracing performance in video games.

Elttharion

Learned
Microsoft insiders dropped the nuclear bomb today that apparently all/most (?) Xbox games will be ported to PS5. Xbox fans are in full meltdown and the speculation is that MS will either become a third part publisher and abandon the console market or heavily downscale their harware division. MS hasnt said anything until now but the drama is quite funny, there is even talk of this being a death blow to Xbox or that Sony won, etc. Lots of people are worried that if MS doesnt release any new consoles their digital libraries are now worthless.

lycanwarrior

Scholar
Microsoft insiders dropped the nuclear bomb today that apparently all/most (?) Xbox games will be ported to PS5. Xbox fans are in full meltdown and the speculation is that MS will either become a third part publisher and abandon the console market or heavily downscale their harware division. MS hasnt said anything until now but the drama is quite funny, there is even talk of this being a death blow to Xbox or that Sony won, etc. Lots of people are worried that if MS doesnt release any new consoles their digital libraries are now worthless.

It makes MSFT's decision to buy ActiBlizz all the more bizarre. Like, what was even the point of that acquisition if they are no longer going to have exclusives???

Tehdagah

Arcane
Sony as the only console maker in the industry is a bit of a scary thought*. They aren't exactly humble, especially when they feel unbeatable.

*Nintendo doesn't count since they have mobile hardware

Zeriel

Arcane
Yeah, as memeworthy as competition of a duopoly is, things like the Kinect or Playstation's various fuckups may have never been reversed if they had no alternative to make them step back and care what the consumer thinks.

It makes MSFT's decision to buy ActiBlizz all the more bizarre. Like, what was even the point of that acquisition if they are no longer going to have exclusives???

To further build up Xbox Game Pass, which they never wanted to be exclusive to the Xbox to begin with. Some of those Activision Blizzard titles were never going to be exclusive anyways, like Call of Duty Warzone makes a few billion a year, even if many of the Activision Blizzard titles were exclusive to Xbox and PC, Call of Duty never would’ve been because they make too much money by having it on everything. Minecraft is in that situation with Microsoft as well. Now if they’d of made these moves back during the 360 days when they were ahead they could’ve kept it all exclusive to themselves because the 360 was essentially the de facto home of many of these games anyways...but that could also be why they never made moves to buy anyone, even though that’s when they should’ve been buying people up. But they fucked themselves with the Xbox One before it was even out and basically sat the whole generation out.

Where Microsoft is at now with their video game system, they’d make more money with Xbox Game Pass on the PS4, PS5, Switch, and the Switch 2. And in a few more years you’ll probably just be able to play Xbox Game Pass off a smart TV, off of a Microsoft Surface or something, and by plugging some Xbox Game Pass Stick into your TV.

Sony as the only console maker in the industry is a bit of a scary thought*. They aren't exactly humble, especially when they feel unbeatable.

*Nintendo doesn't count since they have mobile hardware

Nintendo is kicking everyone’s ass with the Switch right now. At the moment it’s the third best selling system of all time. Nintendo is so kicking everyone’s ass at the moment I almost can’t believe the new systems Sony and Microsoft released weren’t also just powerful handhelds that get a performance boost when docked into something to play on your television.

The Switch 2 is going to come out, be the same thing the Switch is but more powerful, and despite being the weakest of the new consoles will continue to destroy everyone else.

Microsoft could actually take Sony on again if they did an Xbox system that was just the same thing the Switch is but more powerful. But if that was something they did, by the time they got around to doing it Sony would be doing it too.

Elttharion

Learned
Microsoft insiders dropped the nuclear bomb today that apparently all/most (?) Xbox games will be ported to PS5.
What kind of exclusives would that be? The new Halo that nobody liked?
Starfield, Hellblade 2, Halo MCC, High Fi Rush, Indiana Jones, etc. They arent great or even good games but its more about the fact that MS gave up on trying to compete. I dont really care about consoles but otoh I absolute hate Sony so seeing they become virtually a monopoly in the high end console space.

Some bullet points from another leaker

• Tim has heard that Call of Duty may not be coming to game pass.
  • Hardware sales have not met the projected sales and the CFO got spooked.
  • In the last three months of last year, they had consoles for $350 and no one cared.
  • Xbox One was more wanted than Series consoles.
  • They said the hardware is dead, and they are seeing declines in hardware year over year.
  • Game pass is unsustainable; the market they have is not enough to offset the cost.
  • Tim heard from someone at Microsoft that you may not like Xbox when they get Activision. They want ROI.
  • He heard that Xbox has an insane showcase with tons of games, but everyone is going to be saying asterisks.
  • The leaks happened because a Microsoft employee who didn't want this to happen leaked it, so there would be a public outcry.
  • Microsoft now has no problem buying more companies in the future if all games go to all platforms.
  • Tim thinks they will go all-digital, with ads on game pass (pre-roll or at the end of a chapter e.g. Like a Dragon) and AI community managers.
Source

If Microsoft really wanted to move consoles they’d just give them away for free with a 2 or 3 year subscription to Xbox Game Pass. That’s where they make their money anyways. That’s the thing they want all their users signed up to.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom