Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The PS5 and Xbox 2 thread - it's happening

Ezekiel

Arcane
I think two playthroughs was enough Bloodborne for me. Not as good as Dark Souls or Demon's Souls, nor as inventive as Sekiro.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Bloodborne is really tightly designed, but I think for it to really work, you have to buy into the setting. If the visuals and setting don't appeal to you, then it will probably feel more like "Dark Souls 3 but with less weapon, build, and item variety."

deuxhero

Arcane
Allegedly there's a new revision of the PS5 spotted in the wild. Nothing big, just somewhat lighter and uses a screw that can be tightened by hand for the base instead of needing a screwdriver.

L'ennui

Magister
There's also a new version of the Xbox Series consoles. It's all the Xbox One consoles in the world that will be playing next-gen games through XCloud. I wonder if Microsoft's streaming architecture will handle it well, could be a significant development for the console market going forward.

ferratilis

Magister
I decided to sell my Xbox Series S that I got as a gift a while back since there's not much use for it. All the Xbox games run on PC without any problems, it's just another device that collects dust in the household. Someone who plays mostly cRPGs, retro shooters etc. will not find it useful tbh. And the only game I'd ever consider getting an Xbox for, Forza, runs really well on PC. But I must admit that it's a decent little gaming device for kids or casual gamers, and you can even connect mouse and keyboard for games like Gears Tactics.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Does PS5 still have no games?

Seems so. It has that one free platforming game with the little robot that looks kind of interesting, a Demon's Souls remake that I don't even want anymore because of distasteful revisionism (and the original that I still own being totally playable on emulators now) and some non-exclusives playable on a computer.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/qvb0nw/elder_scrolls_6_will_release_for_xbox_and_pc_only/

LOLOLOL Soyny ponys in full suicide watch !!!!!!

images

Wasn't Skyrim on release an even bigger shitshow on the PS3 than it was on other platforms?

Yeah, it had some weird file size issue that caused massive slow down when you saved games. It may have also had less detail like the PS3 version of Oblivion, but I can't remember on that one; that' Oblivion thing is despite Oblivion coming out a year later on the PS3 too.

When it comes to consoles the Elder Scrolls games have always run better on Microsoft systems; they've basically been Microsoft games since Morrowind, and the one generation where that could've probably changed Bethesda somehow missed because they were jerking off for seven years or something.

deuxhero

Arcane
Allegedly there's a new revision of the PS5 spotted in the wild. Nothing big, just somewhat lighter and uses a screw that can be tightened by hand for the base instead of needing a screwdriver.

I realized I never mentioned this here: It turned out the reason it was lighter is they made the heat sink much smaller. I haven't heard of anyone's PS5 frying itself because of this in the months since, but I also haven't heard of anyone playing a PS5.

Venser

Erudite
I turn on my PS5 maybe once or twice a month just to watch Netflix or play PS4 PSVR game. Still haven't played a single PS5 game aside from Astro's Playroom.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've played a few.

Astro's Playroom
Bugsnax
Maquette
Maneater
Yakuza: Like A Dragon
Lost Judgment

I'm expecting Ratceht & Clank, Sackboy's Big Adventure, and a few more games to get price drops very soon.

Other than those, I have mostly played PS4 games with better performance.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I've played a few.

Astro's Playroom
Bugsnax
Maquette
Maneater
Lost Judgment

I'm expecting Ratceht & Clank, Sackboy's Big Adventure, and a few more games to get price drops very soon.

What did you think of like a dragon? I'm out of games to play and I heard this was a proper Tb rpg.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've played a few.

Astro's Playroom
Bugsnax
Maquette
Maneater
Lost Judgment

What did you think of like a dragon? I'm out of games to play and I heard this was a proper Tb rpg.
It's a really fun game. I don't know how much you know or care about the Yakuza series, but it has all the ingredients that you can expect, but with action combat removed, and turn-based combat replacing it.

It is indeed a proper turn-based, party-based jrpg. It's got very serious moments, it's got silly moments, and it's got who-the-fuck-comes-up-with-this-shit-I-should-hate-this-but-I-unironically-love-it moments. The characters are fun, and there are unexpected turns of events behind every corner. There are lots of optional min-games. The combat uses a job system, has summons, and you can also press timed button presses during regular attacks to deal extra damage, or avoid very high damage from enemies. I usually don't like this, but I haven't had many issues with combat. I lost one encounter while exploring a higher level area(enemies were twice my levels). Upon death, you lose half your gold. There are a fair amount of sub stories to do, which I have to say are mostly fun.

One thing that can be annoying is that there are many enemies that spawn on the map. That means that your encounter rate can be high. The setting is also not your usual jrpg setting, but that one is obvious.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
^The PS5 is selling copies at a record pace. All three console manufacturers are all having record years, showing great reports, and seem to be in a healthy, economical state.

Sony have shipped almost 13 million PS5s, the Switch is selling gangbusters, and while the Xbox Series has sold less, Microsoft seem to be happy with Gamepass. PC gaming seems to have grown the last few years. In general, gaming seems to be more alive than ever. If gaming the way the codex wants it to be alive is another question.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom