Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The PS5 and Xbox 2 thread - it's happening

Tehdagah

Arcane
This will kill Gamepass. Its biggest appeal was being able to play games day-1 without having to pay $70 for each game.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
>later stage
>of a phone charger and streaming device that has 4
>4 exclusives
GGTX7skWgAEjYNG

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This is the shittiest and most worthless console generation that ever came out. At this point a GameBoy Color seems to be way more useful and fun than PS5/XboxXS

Baron Dupek

Arcane
and on top of that PS4 emulation got major progress recently
soon the Bloodbourne machine will be useless beside serving overpriced cinematic slop

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This is the shittiest and most worthless console generation that ever came out. At this point a GameBoy Color seems to be way more useful and fun than PS5/XboxXS
It's also the most confusing one. Considering how many versions of Xbox are out there, the naming convention, and the overall horrible planning from both companies.

Machocruz

Arcane
Objectively better library. Link's Awakening alone is better than anything on those two

This will kill Gamepass. Its biggest appeal was being able to play games day-1 without having to pay $70 for each game.

There is no fucking appeal in this. Games you love you'll always want to own, and the rest is just shovelware. Philly's Netflix for Games model was deeply flawed to begin with.

Most people rented most of the games they played when that was an easy option. Needing to own all the games you play is a fairly new thing all things considered, it’s a post 2011 death of Blockbuster and smaller movie rental places thing.

deuxhero

Arcane
Funny you say that. GBC was released in October 1998. Its final official NA release (Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets) was in November 2002 (4 years+1 month). Just a quick scroll of a list that says which are GBC only shows the following I know are worth a play and I am hardly an expert on the platform.
Mario Golf GBC
Mario Tennis GBX
Wario Land 3
Shin Megami Tensei Devil Children: Shiro no Shou
Mega Man Xtreme 2
Pokémon Card GB2
Magi Nation
The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages
The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons
Pokémon Crystal Version (an enhanced port)
Metal Gear: Ghost Babel (it's an original top down Metal Gear game, not a port)
Shantae

Compared to PS5 whose only exclusive in 4 years are Destruction All Stars, pack in tech demo Astro's Playroom, and a vastly inferior remake of a PS3 game that ruins everything people loved about the original. (There's also two or three PSVR exclusives, which might as well count as its own hardware.)

DemonKing

Arcane
Games you love you'll always want to own, and the rest is just shovelware. Philly's Netflix for Games model was deeply flawed to begin with.
Yes but with Gamepass you can play new releases on Day 1 and then later down the track buy them on deep discount if you really love them instead of forking out big bucks on Day 1 and then finding out something's not for you.

Based on Microsoft's efforts in recent years I can't think of any 1st party titles they've released that I'd want to pay for later on anyway.

Nothing about his generation makes any sense at all. They both launched too early. I still can’t believe Sony released a PS5 when they did, abandoning the market lead they had. What I figured they’d do years ago is wait a few years long, and try to capture the VR market with a VR focused PS5 like they leveraged their previous consoles to push media formats they’d created. But they didn’t do that, and now it seems like they may be too late to really take that market like they could have if they were entering it this year in a much bigger way than having PSVR2 be an optional thing to get. Like a VR focused PS5 coming out this year would just steamroll Meta and Apple in this VR race that seems like it’s actually just now kind of really gearing up.

It would be funny if Switch 2 is VR and ended up just kind of taking the VR market out of nowhere. Some Switch 2 with augmented reality capabilities that comes packed with Pokémon Go would probably help move systems. Nintendo is in a funny place with the oncoming VR race, because they can actually sell it with nostalgia by marketing a VR glove as a Power Glove 2.

Last edited:

antimeridian

Learned
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I still can’t believe Sony released a PS5 when they did, abandoning the market lead they had.
So far this gen Sony is even further ahead. PS4 120 mil, Xbone 60 mil. PS5 50 mil, Xbox Series 20 mil. I think they also announced recently the PS5 is just as successful as the PS4 was, after being out for the same amount of time.
I agree this gen sucks but I'm not sure it cost Sony anything to release when they did.

The best selling game on the PS5 has half the sales of the best selling PS4 game. Maybe there’s something on PS5 that’s sold better than Spider-Man 2, and we just don’t have official numbers, but Spider-Man 2 has sold ten million less than Spider-Man on PS4. And Spider-Man 2 is the only PS5 game with numbers released specifically that has sales anywhere close to ten million. The second best selling PS5 game with numbers is Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart with a little under four million.

Sony announced back in December of last year that the PS4 and PS5 have a monthly active PSN user count of 123 million. The vast majority of those users are on the PS4. Despite comparable sales for the same time period, PS5 users don’t seem to be buying games at the same rate they did on the PS4.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Nothing about his generation makes any sense at all. They both launched too early. I still can’t believe Sony released a PS5 when they did, abandoning the market lead they had. What I figured they’d do years ago is wait a few years long, and try to capture the VR market with a VR focused PS5 like they leveraged their previous consoles to push media formats they’d created. But they didn’t do that, and now it seems like they may be too late to really take that market like they could have if they were entering it this year in a much bigger way than having PSVR2 be an optional thing to get. Like a VR focused PS5 coming out this year would just steamroll Meta and Apple in this VR race that seems like it’s actually just now kind of really gearing up.

It would be funny if Switch 2 is VR and ended up just kind of taking the VR market out of nowhere. Some Switch 2 with augmented reality capabilities that comes packed with Pokémon Go would probably help move systems. Nintendo is in a funny place with the oncoming VR race, because they can actually sell it with nostalgia by marketing a VR glove as a Power Glove 2.
I think it suffered from modern 'management' where there is no market research, no waiting for appropriate time, no userbase examination, just push the product out as soon as possible to maximize short term and not care about later (after all, we'll just change jobs if it fails).

I still can’t believe Sony released a PS5 when they did, abandoning the market lead they had.
So far this gen Sony is even further ahead. PS4 120 mil, Xbone 60 mil. PS5 50 mil, Xbox Series 20 mil. I think they also announced recently the PS5 is just as successful as the PS4 was, after being out for the same amount of time.
I agree this gen sucks but I'm not sure it cost Sony anything to release when they did.
They might be on a profit, idk, but consoles do not generate profits (unless their strategy changed, but I doubt it), it's the overpriced games that make the return of the investment. They might have sold gillions of consoles, but to be profitable they also have to sell a lot of games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom