Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The PS5 and Xbox 2 thread - it's happening

lycanwarrior

Scholar
A portable PS4 would be nice.

You just described Steam Deck but worse.

He's aching to get charged to play online and be confined to Sony's torture chamber walled garden.
I already have a PS4, being able to play the same games on a portable system would be nice.

So a Steam Deck ?
Steam Deck doesn't have the PS+ service, also some japanese PS4 games weren't released on PC.
EA's NHL and UFC games aren't on PC either.

ind33d

Learned
i went to a gamestop to buy a ps5 controller and they "didn't have one"

bitch, that's your only job. how the fuck

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
miqlw22wm4o51.jpg

911 Jumper

Learned
I read that piece earlier today. It's sounds as if there's going to be less focus on interesting gameplay mechanics.

“In terms of gaming’s future, I envision games becoming more personalised due to advances in technology and AI, enabling customized experiences for each player,” he said.

“Moreover, technological advancements will enhance emotional depth in games by allowing characters to be much more emotive and expressive, fostering more evocative storytelling.
“That’s going to help a whole generation of creators be able to just create so much more emotion in the stories. The focus is going to shift from graphics or visuals to immersive narratives that resonate long after the controller is set down.”

Qizilbash, who’s tasked with transforming PlayStation’s gaming brands into global entertainment franchises, also said AI will enable the creation of “more personalised experiences and meaningful stories”.

“For instance, NPCs (Non Player Characters) in games could interact with players based on their actions, making it feel more personal.

“Emotional depth”
“Immersive narratives”

911 Jumper

Learned
Some guy named “Neil Druckmann” recently made these comments

Neil Druckmann says AI will ‘push the boundaries of storytelling
The Last of Us creative director Neil Druckmann says he thinks AI technology will “revolutionise” the way content is created, its issues aside.

Druckmann was interviewed on the Sony website as part of its ‘Creative Entertainment Vision’ presentation, which it describes as its long-term vision for where it “wants to be in 10 years, with an eye towards future technological advances”.

Asked how he envisions the fusion of storytelling and technology over the next 10 years, Druckmann said he thinks it’s getting easier for people with no technical ability to fully realise the ideas in their head
“This broadening of possibilities is fueled by increasingly accessible tools that allow even non-technical people to use their imagination and create worlds and narratives to their heart’s content.”

Druckmann then specifically cited AI as an example of this, stating that while it has its problems which have to be resolved, the technology itself can be used to expand what is capable in game development.
“AI is really going to revolutionise how content is being created, although it does bring up some ethical issues we need to address,” he explained.
“With technologies like AI and the ability to do motion capture right from home, we’re reducing both costs and technical hurdles, opening the door for us to take on more adventurous projects and push the boundaries of storytelling in games.

“This evolution is truly empowering creators to bring their visions to life without the traditional obstacles.”

Elsewhere in the interview, Druckmann said Naughty Dog’s next title could “redefine mainstream perceptions of gaming”.

Last year, he suggested the studio would reveal its next game game closer to its release than has previously been the case, in a bid to combat “work-life balance issues” that arose from announcing what it was working on too soon.
Source: VGC

ind33d

Learned
Sony should just make controllers and put the PS library on Steam. PS5 controller is legit incredible

Ravielsk

Magister

PlayStation exec predicts focus will ‘shift from graphics to immersive narratives’​

https://www.videogameschronicle.com...-shift-from-graphics-to-immersive-narratives/

A top PlayStation executive has predicted that technological advancements in gaming will see the focus “shift from graphics or visuals to immersive narratives” over the coming decade.
That is really cute but unless they are putting those games out before June 2025 I don't think it will matter much. At the rate they are currently going any policy shift now will not be felt before the PS6 hits the market and by that time I can easily see people just ignoring it out of sheer indifference for the brand.

Ravielsk

Magister
To add to this the only real advantage Sony has over Microsoft is that Microsoft is insanely hostile to its customers in all but price, and even that only in terms of the game pass.

I recently traded a monitor for an xbox one x and in terms of user experience its a universally worse experience than anything I had with the PS3 or PS4. The main dashboard is polluted with ads with game being give the smallest icons of all, you literary have to fiddle with groups to keep some level of access to your games on the main dash(or pin them but that is capped at 10 and still puts them underneath the ads).
You cannot touch your own save games, they are all in the cloud and you cannot even really use a USB for backing anything up unless its 1280gb+ and 3.0. Meaning that if you want to backup and transfer 20gb of data you do not get to use your 32gb stick, no you have to get yourself at least a brand new 128gb one.
Many apps and features are not part of the console by default so for example media player is something you have to download when you first time try to play some media off of your usb.
Oh, and the whole interface is sluggish as all hell. By which I mean that even with a SSD it feels like its running at half the speed the of PS3 interface running off of the factory HDD(5400 RPM if you are curious). Everything feels like its always lagging and the boot up(again with the SSD) takes a solid minute, sometimes more.

In short its a bundle of dumb inconveniences that require constant internet connection to even properly function. Yeah, I know the xbox one x is no longer the "current machine" but when its not even really comparable to the fucking PS3(nevermind the xbox360) that means there is a serious problem there. The playstation is the better choice simply because it does not actively try to make my experience shit but that is a thin fucking ice to be walking on. If neither company gets their shit together by the end of 2025 I can very easily see both going under or just turning into welfare game pass stations.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

PlayStation exec predicts focus will ‘shift from graphics to immersive narratives’​

https://www.videogameschronicle.com...-shift-from-graphics-to-immersive-narratives/

A top PlayStation executive has predicted that technological advancements in gaming will see the focus “shift from graphics or visuals to immersive narratives” over the coming decade.

Consoles finally giving up lmao.

In case anybody is actually genuinely confused about this. There will be no immersive narratives. It's going to be the exact same slop we have now just with cheaper graphics.

911 Jumper

Learned
Rumour: Xbox May Be Adding A 'Consistent Social UI' To Games On All Platforms
With more Xbox games hitting other platforms these days, it comes as no surprise that Microsoft might be looking at ways to bring all these versions together - and one of the ways of doing that could be with a "consistent social UI".

This was mentioned on the latest episode of the Xbox Two podcast this week, where Windows Central's Jez Corden advised that it may take the form of a "mini Xbox guide" that appears no matter where you're playing these Xbox titles:

"I actually have some details on exactly what 'Xbox on every screen' looks like now. And I think what it is, is that every Xbox game will have a consistent social UI across all the games... so like, if you're playing Sea of Thieves for example on a PlayStation, you'll be able to bring up a mini Xbox guide or something like that, kinda like [Activision Blizzard's] Battle.net sort of."

"I've even got a codename for it, I think it's... is it Roseway?"

Another way that Xbox is merging these different versions together is through crossplay, with Sea of Thieves supporting online multiplayer across Xbox, PC and PlayStation 5, for example. In fact, Sea Of Thieves also requires you to use an Xbox account in order to play, so a mini guide doesn't sound like an unrealistic target for Microsoft.
Source: Pure Xbox

Tehdagah

Arcane
Rumour: Xbox May Be Adding A 'Consistent Social UI' To Games On All Platforms
With more Xbox games hitting other platforms these days, it comes as no surprise that Microsoft might be looking at ways to bring all these versions together - and one of the ways of doing that could be with a "consistent social UI".

This was mentioned on the latest episode of the Xbox Two podcast this week, where Windows Central's Jez Corden advised that it may take the form of a "mini Xbox guide" that appears no matter where you're playing these Xbox titles:

"I actually have some details on exactly what 'Xbox on every screen' looks like now. And I think what it is, is that every Xbox game will have a consistent social UI across all the games... so like, if you're playing Sea of Thieves for example on a PlayStation, you'll be able to bring up a mini Xbox guide or something like that, kinda like [Activision Blizzard's] Battle.net sort of."

"I've even got a codename for it, I think it's... is it Roseway?"

Another way that Xbox is merging these different versions together is through crossplay, with Sea of Thieves supporting online multiplayer across Xbox, PC and PlayStation 5, for example. In fact, Sea Of Thieves also requires you to use an Xbox account in order to play, so a mini guide doesn't sound like an unrealistic target for Microsoft.
Source: Pure Xbox
"In fact, Sea Of Thieves also requires you to use an Xbox account in order to play"

This sucks because linking Microsoft accounts is permanent. I can't think of any other account linking that can't be reversed.

911 Jumper

Learned
Sony's Marvel Factory wants more LGBT

“We Need To Pull Every Lever We Have” - Insomniac's Narrative Director Discusses Lack Of LGBTQ Content in Video Games
Mary Kenney, an associate narrative director at Insomniac Games, opened up to me to give her opinion on the "heartbreaking" state of LGBTQ representation amid GLAAD's report.
Kenney, who started her career as a journalist, has written for some of the industry's most popular video games. From Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales and Batman: The Enemy Within to The Walking Dead: The Final Season and the upcoming Marvel’s Wolverine. Kenney has helped construct some of gaming's most diverse characters, like Clementine and Violet from Telltale's The Walking Dead, but freely admits that more needs to be done in game development to make LGBTQ people feel like they are an important part of video game structure now and also its future.

In a moment of reflection, Kenney credits the late great Danielle Bunten Berry, a trans woman and pioneer game developer who created one of the first successful multiplayer games on the Atari platform, M.U.L.E., Kenney says that Berry's influence on the game industry was a powerful presence as she often "spoke about video games as a means to create connection" due to her unwavering advocacy for online community spirit. "In the decades since, this has proven true in fan communities, conventions, and multiplayer games," says Kenney.

Delving into GLAAD's latest report, Kenney offers up two important insights. While one is a positive and welcoming outlook as often the LGBTQ community wants to seek out safe spaces so they can feel accepted, the other is extremely worrying and disheartening. "The GLAAD report tells us something key - games are a way for LGBTQ people to socialize. But it also tells us something heartbreaking: that LGBTQ gamers don't feel that developers are thinking of them when they design games."
Source: DualShockers

deuxhero

Arcane
I am so glad Sony doesn't remember Wild Arms 3 or its lesbian protagonist.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom