Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Secret World

Incendax

Augur
The story of SW was enjoyable as hell. It definitely would have made a great single player game.
Shame the MMO elements crap it up. Like a urban fantasy Kingdoms of Amalur.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
There's a lot of shitty quest design in the game, people tend not to complain about the countless kill quests because they have some interesting characters and dialogue behind them.

The biggest issue for me is the lack of agency by the player. The quests almost always involve long winded monologues by npcs while you stand there dumbfucked listening, and a lot of the time those monologues have fuck all to do with the Quest objectives.

J1M

Arcane
Secret World has an interesting setting, but it puts an MMO between it and the player. I have a few points in autism and I couldn't even finish the second zone. There's definitely something they could do with what they have to provide a tighter 30-hour experience instead of a 300-hour one.

Last edited:

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The quests almost always involve long winded monologues by npcs while you stand there dumbfucked listening, and a lot of the time those monologues have fuck all to do with the Quest objectives.
Yeah. I very much got the feeling of "Here's a scene from a disjointed movie, enjoy! Now go kill 10 wolves. Now here's another scene from that movie!" In general I liked the cutscenes - I feel the writing is good, the story structure is fine, the performances are good - but they're more a barrier between me and the game than a motivating force.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
The quests almost always involve long winded monologues by npcs while you stand there dumbfucked listening, and a lot of the time those monologues have fuck all to do with the Quest objectives.
Yeah. I very much got the feeling of "Here's a scene from a disjointed movie, enjoy! Now go kill 10 wolves. Now here's another scene from that movie!" In general I liked the cutscenes - I feel the writing is good, the story structure is fine, the performances are good - but they're more a barrier between me and the game than a motivating force.
It's not clarified anywhere, but it's consistent throughout the game that being a "bee" means you're a bit retarded socially and you can't speak. You become a battlesuit for the bee, but not all connections are working :)

I liked the NPC monologues, because usually they're self-important assholes and wackos that provide unsolicited exposition about anything that's on their mind. Then you have to figure out yourself what was the problem.

Lhynn

Arcane
No, if i remember correctly you meet other bees and they can speak just fine. They went with the silent protagonist but never gave a reason why in the narrative.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I liked the NPC monologues
Don't get me wrong. I enjoyed the worldbuilding, dialogue, characterization, performances, direction, you name it ... what I didn't like was the pacing. Sitting watching long disjointed cutscenes just didn't work well with this type of gameplay (does it ever?) and it was doubly bad because the content so rarely had anything to do with your objectives.

bylam

Funcom
Developer
Most of the cutscenes were written before the missions. I spent a lot of time pulling *anything* out of those cutscenes for mission designs.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
It failed because whoever is in charge of the design is a fucking moron. Someone should name and shame those dipshits, whoever thought it was a good idea to make the best items in the game come from the same 6 dungeons and make it so you get locked out of each dungeon until the next day, even if your group fails and falls apart along the way. Also the story faggery was off the scales, every shitty MMO quest wanted to try to justify itself with a spoken intro that was always cringe and bad. Also it had puzzles that were supposed to be like little investigations but were just a chore and nobody had the patience to do them so just googled the answers or just asked someone to blurt it out in chat. Also there was no way near enough content. They had this one big talent tree but that was it for every character and every class. It allowed a few different builds but that was it for the entire game. Everyone you ever met was one of those few builds and it is all anyone could be.

It could have been a really popular single player game but they tried to make it work as an MMO and it was way off. And then the Legends thing was even more clueless.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
was a good idea to make the best items in the game come from the same 6 dungeons and
lol who cares
Everyone that plays it? What a retarded argument... Everyone in the game got to the point in a week that the only progress they could make was from running the same 6 instances over and over. It is a game without levels so you get better gear or you have nothing to do. Compare that to my favorite MMO where there are probably 100 dungeons or more. No wonder games can get away with being so shit when there are so many mongs like you.

was a good idea to make the best items in the game come from the same 6 dungeons and
lol who cares
Everyone that plays it? What a retarded argument... Everyone in the game got to the point in a week that the only progress they could make was from running the same 6 instances over and over. It is a game without levels so you get better gear or you have nothing to do. Compare that to my favorite MMO where there are probably 100 dungeons or more. No wonder games can get away with being so shit when there are so many mongs like you.

what's your favorite mmo?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom