Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Secret World

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
So you are saying only one kind of MMO should exist to appeal to your rampant MMO autism?
You gotta realize, the best games ever made also happen to be the games that @**** was playing the week he learned to touch himself to orgasm. Nothing created since then can ever compare to the perfection of the games that existed that wonderful, melancholy week 20 years ago. It's just science.
Wait.... are you are on RPGcodex trying to argue that old games are not as good as people say?

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I want to experience this story, because it is great.
Then they should have made a book. Could have saved 99% of their budget and achieved the same thing.
But they didn't make a book. We have to deal with what we got.
Yeppers! And you have to deal with me saying it was weak. I know millennials really struggle with this concept of people not liking something, it is so alien to people raised in a world of trophies for showing up.

Delterius

Arcane
Secret World is a fun-haver's storytiem game with swell puzzles. If you're playing it as an actual MMO, it means you're one of the 500 people who keep grinding their daily challenges in hopes that the sheer power of our Choyinese Overlords somehow resurrects this thing.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Hahahahahaha!!!!! I love this kind of autism. Totally incapable of seeing other peoples points of view.

Then they should have made a book. Could have saved 99% of their budget and achieved the same thing.
Yeppers! And you have to deal with me saying it was weak. I know millennials really struggle with this concept of people not liking something, it is so alien to people raised in a world of trophies for showing up.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
People are too busy playing WoW cause the combat is so refined.
I'd definitely play WoW Classic for its combat and levelling experience. If Secret World didn't have its setting, storytiem and puzzles I would have never played it.

I would play WoW Classic for the roleplaying personally. I think a lot of people tend to skip that key feature of the genre due to lack of imagination.

Delterius

Arcane
I'd definitely play WoW Classic for its combat and levelling experience. If Secret World didn't have its setting, storytiem and puzzles I would have never played it.

I would play WoW Classic for the roleplaying personally. I think a lot of people tend to skip that key feature of the genre due to lack of imagination.
I disagree, most people roleplay characters like Captain Jack Jackson of the Stormwind Guard, who travels the world as a Questing Knight defending the interests of the Grand Alliance.

Bigg Boss

Arcane

I disagree, most people roleplay characters like Captain Jack Jackson of the Stormwind Guard, who travels the world as a Questing Knight defending the interests of the Grand Alliance.

I am simply saying roleplaying servers are not as heavily populated because most people want to just kill shit.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Hahahahahaha!!!!! I love this kind of autism. Totally incapable of seeing other peoples points of view.

Wait what do you think I am not seeing? Also that's not what autism is by the way.

Delterius

Arcane

I am simply saying roleplaying servers are not as heavily populated because most people want to just kill shit.
Roleplaying servers are just goldshire sex cruisers bro.

Last edited:

Stokowski

Arcane
Remember when that mendacious shill from Funcom thread-squatted and told everyone how wonderful everything at Funcom now was and how awesome their games were going to become? And people wanted to fellate him because The Secret World once held potential?
Oh, the good old days.

:shitposting:

DeepOcean

Arcane
Egypt is great.
Nah, you go from dealing with a Cthulhu invasion, solving demonic puzzles to open a gate to hell on a dirty hotel, investigating Iluminati dirty secrets, investigating a haunted mansion on three diferent time lines and high as fuck native americans fighting a spirit war to contain some crazy shit on a mountain to go to Egypt and kill uninspired fantasy shit in it.

Only the Black Pharaoh bit and the weird shit happening on the pyramid is kinda cool but even there it mostly resumes with: kill shit until getting to the black pharaoh and kill him too. There are no interesting characters on Egypt with the exception of the edgy Djinn, everything else is lame as fuck. One day I will summon the courage to play through Egypt to play the rest of the game, hope it happens before they close the game down.

Reinhardt

Arcane
you go from dealing with a Cthulhu invasion, investigating Iluminati dirty secrets, investigating a haunted mansion on three diferent time lines and high as fuck native americans fighting a spirit war to contain some crazy shit on a mountain
+funniest fight in the game so far - orochi killteam vs doggos vs me

Delterius

Arcane
Egypt is great.
Nah, you go from dealing with a Cthulhu invasion, solving demonic puzzles to open a gate to hell on a dirty hotel, investigating Iluminati dirty secrets, investigating a haunted mansion on three diferent time lines and high as fuck native americans fighting a spirit war to contain some crazy shit on a mountain to go to Egypt and kill uninspired fantasy shit in it.

Only the Black Pharaoh bit and the weird shit happening on the pyramid is kinda cool but even there it mostly resumes with: kill shit until getting to the black pharaoh and kill him too. There are no interesting characters on Egypt with the exception of the edgy Djinn, everything else is lame as fuck. One day I will summon the courage to play through Egypt to play the rest of the game, hope it happens before they close the game down.
i like indiana jones and desert war places and ancient tombs with dark secrets and time travelling and puzzles in desert towns and you're wrong

Reinhardt

Arcane
Egypt is great.
Nah, you go from [one setting and tone] to [a different setting and tone]
... which is part of what makes the overall setting and worldbuilding so fascinating. Wishing for every zone to be like the last one except with bigger bags of hit points is sad.
Except in Egypt you just fight different types of cultists. BORING! I want more interesting monsters with interesting lore, not just some towelheads. If i want to play something about ded pharaoh i can replay wizards & warriors.

Delterius

Arcane
Egypt is great.
... which is part of what makes the overall setting and worldbuilding so fascinating. Wishing for every zone to be like the last one except with bigger bags of hit points is sad.
Except in Egypt you just fight different types of cultists. BORING! I want more interesting monsters with interesting lore, not just some towelheads. If i want to play something about ded pharaoh i can replay wizards & warriors.
i liked the anubis and the golems and the mummies and the big insta kill mummies and the filth monsters we fight all the time and the cultists were nice too

wish it was mesopotamia though, tbh

DeepOcean

Arcane
Egypt is great.
Never said that, I was sleeping at Egypt, only thing I wanted was an area that wasnt boring to the point of pushing me off from the game, I didnt want Solomon Island 2.0, just something good. The lack of interesting characters and the barely developed lore of the filth cult you are fighting in Egypt in comparison with the whole Draug ecology on Solomon Island is one example why Egypt lore felt lacking.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
The setting was interesting. The story and dialogue was abysmal but it is in most games. I don't really care about any of that. I enjoyed running around shooting creatures and doing quests, it was aight. My issue is that the combat was just badly designed and shallow. It seems awesome at first with that big wheel full of stuff to try out, but in most MMOs you would get a whole new wheel for each class... TSW is one wheel for everyone in the entire game. So you're either a jump around healing shit guy, jump around stabbing shit guy, or jump around shooting shit guy, or a mixture that just uses the same abilities. (Other earlier games can have a dozen very different and unique feeling classes, so this was really sub-par.)

And the abilities themselves aren't very interesting, and the combat was too easy solo. At some point it opposite of a survival game, you have to run through whole areas and get as many enemies as possible and then explode them all in one easy go. Just... lame. And grindy. The second problem is the dungeons. They were way too rigid, 100% repetitive, not enough of them, and that lockout timer was maybe the most retarded development choice in gaming history.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Egypt was actually the breaking point for me, I really liked the story and everything but I just couldn't slog through more bad combat. Too dull.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I think that's probably when I quit too. But if the dungeons were repeatable and more interesting and maybe I could solo in them later on or something... then I would have played it for a long time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom