Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Secret World

Codex Year of the Donut
I'm wondering who are you talking about. As far as I remember, MSQ mainly has your handler as a recurring character. The rest are bound to their places on the map mostly, except Beaumont and his chick and they're part of the zone story. Same with Egypt and Transylvania, and I still need to play Tokyo.
That's mostly my point. Why are they bound to a specific place?
e.g., it's implied that the Kingsmont police are for the entire island if you look into how the surviving ones avoided the fog. Why not have them as a recurring part of the entire island story then?
The guy you first meet coming out of Agartha does nothing else beyond your first quest despite him seemingly being important.
Then you meet his buddy in the next area and the same thing happens. Surely they should be working with you to clean up the mess?

It's just a bunch of new characters that get a bit of screentime then you forget they exist. Definitely one of the parts I didn't like. I actually thought the guy outside Agartha and his buddy were the same character at first because they're pretty similar to the point it made me wonder why they bothered adding a second character instead of just reusing him.

infidel

StarInfidel
Developer
Strap Yourselves In
That's mostly my point. Why are they bound to a specific place?
I'd guess because they're really just quest givers, they're not supposed to catch your attention all that much but they just happen to have great designs, backstory and these excellently acted quest intros, sometimes by known cult actors (like Hayden Montag, for example). Some re-appear in the DLCs which were integrated in the main game in SWL and I think the plan was to keep pumping them out adding more stories but it didn't work out. BTW, I'm assuming you're playing SWL, I think you'd like TSW even more. Just look at that beauty (the ability wheel):
001.png

Codex Year of the Donut
Know what else is depressing about Secret World? Once it's gone it's gone. You probably won't be able to find cutscenes and the like on youtube either. That's how dead the whole thing is.
I'd support a law that required devs to release the server software for commercial games when they stop functioning.
Hoping some dev risks his career to leak it isn't working out too great.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Know what else is depressing about Secret World? Once it's gone it's gone. You probably won't be able to find cutscenes and the like on youtube either. That's how dead the whole thing is.
As long as any Funcom property still exists, Secret World will still exist. They've continued to support Anarchy Online for 20 years for chrissake.

Delterius

Arcane
As long as any Funcom property still exists, Secret World will still exist. They've continued to support Anarchy Online for 20 years for chrissake.
funds are safe

I'm wondering who are you talking about. As far as I remember, MSQ mainly has your handler as a recurring character
doesn't matter, it's been axed in this new version, along with A LOT of other content. you meet the handler after tutorial, he says about half of what he said before, and that's it, you never meet him again or ever hear him speak.

Codex Year of the Donut
I'm wondering who are you talking about. As far as I remember, MSQ mainly has your handler as a recurring character
doesn't matter, it's been axed in this new version, along with A LOT of other content. you meet the handler after tutorial, he says about half of what he said before, and that's it, you never meet him again or ever hear him speak.
I report back to him after each major storyline, and during the hub-specific quest, then after it again.

Delterius

Arcane
i played it shortly after relaunch and swear to god there was nothing like that.
yes there was. the only thing swl lacked was some of the faction quests. which they added 'recently' with silly gear requirements that require you to treat swl as anything but a 'play it once on a character for the story' type of deal.

Delterius

Arcane
no they weren't.
As far the Illuminati is concerned the Kirsten Geary cutscenes were all in. Missions like Due Dilligence were in as well, only integrated into the main plot. So you got to do them after finishing each zone. What wasn't in are missions such as those that involve the Pyramidion.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
you can use
Code:
/setoption SplashScreenFadeOutTime 0
to get rid of the annoying fade when you zone/teleport
the option saves between loads btw

infidel

StarInfidel
Developer
Strap Yourselves In
I'd support a law that required devs to release the server software for commercial games when they stop functioning.

I've thought about this from time to time and as far as I can speculate, all the MMOs that are dead died completely when the publisher pulled the plug or it was licensed content with contract likely specifying when the owner will pull the plug or the developer closing doors due to the lack of funding. Because, really, what do you need to keep an old MMO server going? A 50$/month machine in the cloud and a dude who will do the routine database maintenance once a month. Which is pretty much what anybody with a job and some IT experience can do. Moreover, Covid brought resurgence to the genre, a lot of past their prime older MMOs started doing content and patches. Judging by TSW history Funcom has all the rights for the game so TSW/SWL's servers will shutdown only when the close. Which is nowhere close with Conan Exiles success. This is the same reason Shroud of the Avatar will probably be kept going until Garriott dies. It costs peanuts to maintain and he's a rich man. I think that any MMO that managed to survive until 20212 will be kept going forever (that is for the next 20 years when the owners will start dying of old age).

TSW still exists? :what:
You can click something in the account page on the website or in the launcher or something. And it installs TSW instead of SWL. Basically no players though so you can only solo.

People in the Reddit thread said they even coordinate raids/dungeons in their Discord. According to them you can get into a group (I think that was singular - a group :D) either weekly or daily in the US evenings. So it's not dead, it's undead with a small community. If Funcom pulls their thumbs out of their asses and does "Secret World Classic", that would be even better, of course. And by that I mean release it on Steam alongside SWL.

I don't think so. I've played TSW extensively and SWL up until Translyvania second zone and the only content difference I saw was that DLC content was integrated into the MSQ flow and made easier. Well, everything was made easier in SWL but nevermind that. Can you give an example of what you've found missing?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom