Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Secret World

Codex Year of the Donut
Honestly pretty angry at Funcom. I want to throw money at them but I know it won't be used to improve the game anyways.

Codex Year of the Donut
Part of an investigation mission :M
qXd7rj3.png

Cromwell

Arcane
Link to thread/article about this huge crime they supposedly committed.

to make what rusty said even more clear, they fucked age of conan and they fucked secret world. They fucked that game ind evelopment by listening to retards that wanted WoW and since that wasnt enough because the content was so good it still found a dedicated audience despite its (very many) shortcomings they decided to rape it again let it die and use what was there to produce some retarded hunchback clone of it... just to kill that too. Such retardedness doesnt come naturally, it takestalent and a lot of dedication, you have to constantly work on yourself to become this deranged and useless.

Codex Year of the Donut
I can see why people who played the original would be very angry at Funcom. They relaunched the game -- and in doing so, got their hopes up and convinced them to spend more money -- just to kill it again nearly immediately. Basically a giant scam.

I have trouble believing that they weren't making enough to continue development at some level considering I still see a bunch of people in Agartha when I go there and its been years since the debacle. Did you know Everquest 2 still gets regular annual expansions? Fucking EQ2. SWL was most likely something that was just purposely killed because it wasn't making what they expected, not that it wasn't making money.

Cromwell

Arcane
I can see why people who played the original would be very angry at Funcom. They relaunched the game -- and in doing so, got their hopes up and convinced them to spend more money -- just to kill it again nearly immediately. Basically a giant scam.

I have trouble believing that they weren't making enough to continue development at some level considering I still see a bunch of people in Agartha when I go there and its been years since the debacle. Did you know Everquest 2 still gets regular annual expansions? Fucking EQ2. SWL was most likely something that was just purposely killed because it wasn't making what they expected, not that it wasn't making money.

Its not only that they killed it again. You were expected to do all the content again and they didnt even have tokyo ready when legends was released so you couldnt even finish it. They also promised some fundamently better combat and it was largely the same shit (although I didnt look into it to long since I have finished the original story and couldnt muster the strength to do it all again in the vague hope they bring more content). The idea to overhaul the systems wasnt a bad one since the floaty tab target combat was one of the biggest negatives of the game, instead they managed to dumb down other systems like the skillwheels and put in a combat system which was also utter shit. On top of some atrocious free to play mechanics. All the hours and money they must have invested just for this abortion to be released.

they could have instead just released content for a fixed amount of money every so often and called it a day, people would have bought it.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So ... they kept the old game running for the die hard :obviously:s, and also released a simpler redesign in the hopes of revitalizing interest the franchise, which it did.
THE MONSTERS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously man, if these are the worst criminals you can ever imagine in your life, leave your house once in a while.

Last edited:

Cromwell

Arcane
So ... they kept the old game running for the die hard :obviously:s, and also released a simpler redesign in the hopes of revitalizing interest the franchise, which it did. THE MONSTERS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its an MMO, if it doesnt get new content its dead. the last new content was 4 years ago. So they gutted the game people were playing to release some dumbed down version, it doesnt have all the content of the original (some lairs, raids etc seem to be still missing, it has awful cash shop mechanics) and of the promised new exiting content nothing was delivered. I dont mean nothing as in "its bad" I mean literally nothing was released, for 4 years.

Delterius

Arcane
So ... they kept the old game running for the die hard :obviously:s, and also released a simpler redesign in the hopes of revitalizing interest the franchise, which it did. THE MONSTERS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously man, if these are the worst criminals you can ever imagine in your life, leave your house once in a while.
I don't mean the other posters itt but a lot of secret world diehards are salty because funcom pulled a feargus. The money made by tsw itself was supposedly funneled into other projects, including attempts at viral trend chasing with secret world themed spin offs like the park. As such the game didn't so much fail on its own but fail to reach the potential that Conan did, so it was murdered. The idea being that tsw's audience would have delivered a tidy profit all the way to the story's proper ending. All the support given to tsw and swl was calculated to milk a niche audience of whales with the lowest investment possible.

To what degree this is warranted I do not know. I don't have any evidence for the allegations. But I can see this being one factor out of many that led to the downfall of Secret World, including the challenges of delivering a story driven experience in an MMO and selling an unique unconventional setting to an audience notoriously hard to pry away from generic fantasy.

I used to dream of a CD project made game set in TSW with the Alice and bob people back to make puzzles. But then cyberpunk happened. Urban fantasy is cursed.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
Thanks for reasonably reporting the facts and backing off the PURE EVIL DESERVE TO DIE hysteria.
Again, I have trouble believing the game wasn't making a profit due to the devoted fanbase it had(and still has.) The same thing has happened before with MMOs many times — City of Heroes, Warhammer, SWG, so on and so forth. Games killed not because they aren't profitable, but because they aren't profitable enough to meet expectations.
Games that could have been kept alive and had enough profit to continue content creation for a long time.

Companies deserve to suffer for moves they make that actively hurt their most devoted customers to appease their shareholders/publishers/owners.
Otoh, Devs like Darkpaw that keep EQ & EQ2 alive decades later with regular annual expansions should be applauded. They make a small but decent profit(check EG7's earnings reports), and are happy with it.

So, no they aren't "PURE EVIL", but they don't care in the least about their customers therefore they don't deserve your support and especially not your money.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So, no they aren't "PURE EVIL", but they don't care in the least about their customers therefore they don't deserve your support and especially not your money.
Uhhhhhhh. So what about all the great writers and artists working for Funcom? They don't care either, right? After providing years of brilliant content, including the best MMO missions you've ever played by your own testimony, they all deserve to starve too I guess because upper management are pricks and their 10 year plan didn't work out.

Next you're going to say they should all just get jobs at companies run by angels? Because that's so easy for anyone working in a creative field.

Cromwell

Arcane
Uhhhhhhh. So what about all the great writers and artists working for Funcom? They don't care either, right? After providing years of brilliant content, including the best MMO missions you've ever played by your own testimony, they all deserve to starve too I guess because upper management are pricks and their 10 year plan didn't work out.

you cant be serious.

Codex Year of the Donut

Next you're going to say they should all just get jobs at companies run by angels? Because that's so easy for anyone working in a creative field.
AFAICT, most of them were fired.
If I could support this game, I would. But it just exists. Giving money to them would not give money to the people who created it.

Codex Year of the Donut
I think what puts the missions above what you'd see in other games is that it has no issue expecting you to figure out things on your own using the internet, encyclopedia, etc., which allows for really creative problems that make sense in context.
And I suppose it does make sense that your character would have access to the internet ingame.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I think they're just talented but bumbling developers.

Everything they've made has been consistently creative, sometimes exceptionally so, but uneven in terms of implementation and delivery.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom