Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Devil Spire, first-person roguelite dungeon crawler inspired by King's Field and Heretic:

ss_2f8cbe86e36443d8f1e746847dce0469779f48a4.600x338.jpg
ss_a2cd0c562d9989c18cbc0a6ac1ac40a5d24c4893.600x338.jpg

My Familiar, some kind of JRPG-like:

ss_ed69e99f0af1d8b2012585f15dc5a85c69441a39.600x338.jpg
ss_b7d8fbe387646d895003a7bb438ad4fe71f72634.600x338.jpg

Galactic Dreams, re-release of 2007 RTS published by Strategy First:

ss_c983586103cc7787db771ff70adefe3bf7c6e2e2.600x338.jpg
ss_45f96188a161ae9eda50fb5898c4a1edbe841749.600x338.jpg

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Only got a single game in Autumn sale cuz I was completing stuff in my existing backlog. Now I can safely do irresponsible vidya gaem purchases. All of these for 36 bucks.

jNp1IV0.png

hnZw3hg.png

Might pull the trigger on this even if it's not on sale

Harthwain

Magister
Galactic Dreams, re-release of 2007 RTS published by Strategy First:

ss_c983586103cc7787db771ff70adefe3bf7c6e2e2.600x338.jpg
ss_45f96188a161ae9eda50fb5898c4a1edbe841749.600x338.jpg

I remember there was a similarly looking RTS with a significant logistic component (for RTSes) I enjoyed playing a lot. I wonder if this is that game...

Harthwain

Magister
submarine titans? earth 2150? homeworld?
Thanks for the suggestions, but it was a space game so it can't be Submarine Titans or Earth 2150 and it wasn't as big as Homeworld (which is kind of why I forgot the title).

Last edited:
I've recently sold some Dota rubbish on the marketplace and I have around 60 bucks to spend before the sale is over. What to get? Is BG3 a steaming pile of shit?

Never spend 60 dollars on a game.
I'm buying Elden Ring, sue me (on PS5 though since my RL friends are console heathens)

It can be a recommendation for various games too. I was thinking of getting the remaining Yakuza games I don't own (I only have 0), but I don't think I'll ever get around to actually playing them.

Dexter

Arcane
Btw. stumbled upon these using the Discovery Queue Feature, anyone played them?:

First one looks very McGee's Alice in style and presentation, second seems to be some sort of beautifully hand-painted Walking Sim/RPG hybrid still in Early Access.

Also upcoming F2P ARPG and Dune 4X that might suck but look somewhat intriguing:

newtmonkey

Arcane
Is Stygian even worth playing? I heard it's very obviously unfinished.
It's alright, if you know going in that it's unfinished. It has an ending, etc., but the last portion of the game was clearly rushed due to I suppose lack of funds. The early-mid game is pretty fun with some decent "dungeons" and a good survival horror mechanic (limited resources). That all goes away toward the middle as you become more powerful, but I still enjoyed it for what it is.

My issues with the game:
- The game initially feels nonlinear with lots of choice & consequences, but most if not all of it is a sham. You do have some leeway in tackling major quests, but you ultimately have to complete all of them to finish the game.
- Combat is really slow, even when set to maximum speed.
- Magic seems to be completely useless.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Btw. stumbled upon these using the Discovery Queue Feature, anyone played them?:

First one looks very McGee's Alice in style and presentation, second seems to be some sort of beautifully hand-painted Walking Sim/RPG hybrid still in Early Access.

Also upcoming F2P ARPG and Dune 4X that might suck but look somewhat intriguing:

I started a thread awhile back for Book of Travels. They just went Early Access and laid off like 2/3 of their staff because of the poor showing for EA. It looks like a very pretty game, but a lot of the reviews seem to indicate that people don't know what they're supposed to be doing.

Codex Year of the Donut
turkey's answer to X or Elite came out of early access today. it's not bad at all tbh

https://store.steampowered.com/app/732240/SpaceBourne/
apparently I bought this game about a year ago, completely forgot
I'll play it for a while and let you guys know how it is
...Pretty good.
Starts off laughably bad with terrible voice acting and a bad translation, but just stick with it. Turn "invert Y axis" for the ground controls on in the settings.
The ship gameplay is lodsa fun and has decent music.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
turkey's answer to X or Elite came out of early access today. it's not bad at all tbh

...Pretty good.
Starts off laughably bad with terrible voice acting and a bad translation, but just stick with it. Turn "invert Y axis" for the ground controls on in the settings.

Thanks for the recommendation, got it. They also announced SpaceBourne 2:

Codex Year of the Donut

...Pretty good.

That's what reminded me to check it out.
Hard recommend, especially for $3 atm. Impressive for being made by one guy(? AFAICT?)

Curratum

Now that the Steam sale is over, I spent about 100 EUR, exclusively on Call of Duty DLC for all 3 Black Ops games and Ghosts. Got CoD MW Remastered too and have been having a blast with all the new maps, both online and with bots! Hope you nerds are triggered! :D

...Pretty good.

Hard recommend, especially for $3 atm. Impressive for being made by one guy(? AFAICT?)

i have this fetish i must play everything with spaceships. i remember i played this, i flown once or twice, it was such an absurd mess of bugs, terrible interface and absolute cheapness of everything i ditched it as soon as possible, never looked back and actually forgot almost everything about it to safeguard my sanity.

Codex Year of the Donut

...Pretty good.

i have this fetish i must play everything with spaceships. i remember i played this, i flown once or twice, it was such an absurd mess of bugs, terrible interface and absolute cheapness of everything i ditched it as soon as possible, never looked back and actually forgot almost everything about it to safeguard my sanity.

I'm taking a break right now to make dinner but plan on going back to playing it, I'm having fun.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
i like how spacebourne has diverse mission design and the game has a somewhat shocking amount of depth, but the sound design is sorta dogshit; some of the sounds are mastered terribly and i remember getting spooked by some loud sound just randomly bugging out lol

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Now that the Steam sale is over, I spent about 100 EUR, exclusively on Call of Duty DLC for all 3 Black Ops games and Ghosts. Got CoD MW Remastered too and have been having a blast with all the new maps, both online and with bots! Hope you nerds are triggered! :D

wrong thread

Talked myself down to just Sinking City, AI Somnium Files, and Mirror's Edge Catalyst. Been wanting Sinking City for ages, AI seems like it'll be something I'll enjoy (Though I do fear potential weebery waifu uuuuuuuuuuuu teach me this human emotion called love), and Catalyst was $2 and I liked the first game so fuggit.

Jumped through the hoops of DLC fuckery and (Supposedly) latest version fuckery by downloading 16 gigs of files to toss into the game folder for Sinking City and it appears everything's working though I don't know if the DLC's showing up or not since I'm barely into it. Was also getting a strange graphical issue where a line along the bottom of the screen (Roughly like the Windows task bar) wasn't having post processing shit applied to it. Performance was a little weird too since the framerate seemed okay but it was still sputtering a bit like it was struggling to load stuff fast enough which is odd since I put it on my SSD. Might be having issues due to my limited memory so I may bump down texture quality or something.

Yeoman

Educated

CoD games are legitimately excellent for bot play.

CoD Ghosts in particular has well-designed bots that know how to flank you and camp from time to time, and the game's complex map designs make fighting them less predictable than in other games. I find that playing against veteran bots and with lowered player counts (4v4) makes for a nice tactical shooter-lite experience that is equal parts comfy and tense.

Curratum

CoD games are legitimately excellent for bot play.

CoD Ghosts in particular has well-designed bots that know how to flank you and camp from time to time, and the game's complex map designs make fighting them less predictable than in other games. I find that playing against veteran bots and with lowered player counts (4v4) makes for a nice tactical shooter-lite experience that is equal parts comfy and tense.

As an added bonus, in anything past BOps 1, you get bots that can play any mode, so you can actually play SnD, domination and FFA and all those other fun modes that are never populated with people.

I find Ghosts and BOps 1 Veteran bots a bit cheap and too wallhacky, but Hardened is just right. Sadly, bots took a bit of a nosedive in newer games and in BOps 3 and MW Remastered, even Veteran bots aren't nearly as quick to kill you as most humans in lobbies, but it's still very close.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom