Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter The Warlock of Firetop Mountain - Fighting Fantasy gamebook adaptation

The Fish

Arcane
Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/warlockks/fighting-fantasy-the-warlock-of-firetop-mountain

https://fightingfantasyapps.com/books/the-warlock-of-firetop-mountain/

EtANr17.jpg

j27fTXx.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Way under the radar for me but looks good. I just picked up Rimworld so I'll be busy for a while. Love the art direction.

Now... just IMAGINE if Pierre Beague licensed the engine.

Thonius

Arcane
Well I got this game from KS campaign. It`s graphic version of Tin Man CYOA Games with some combat thrown in.
Can not decide if I like combat or not.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
This fantasy solo RPG

What a shame. But maybe someone else will take this style and make a proper party-based adventure.
Well, it's a gamebook conversion. I don't think many of those are suited towards a full party.

Belated, but I find it funny that this is second video game conversion of the same gamebook.
FFScreens1.jpg

Doctor Sbaitso

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
It does look awesome. I instantly thought of KoTC2 or some FRUA modules in this engine. Can you even imagine that shit?

mondblut

Arcane
It does look awesome. I instantly thought of KoTC2 or some FRUA modules in this engine. Can you even imagine that shit?

:whatho:

It has HeroQuest (not the QFG one) written all over it. Which was okay for ZX Spectrum, I guess, until I tried the first proper RPG.

Paul_cz

Arcane
I remember playing this book as a kid. The nostalgia..dammit.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
There's quite a lot of material in the Fighting Fantasy universe that awaits untapped for anyone lucky enough to make a popular conversion:

FF_Collection.jpg

Warlock of Firetop Mountain is book 1 right on the bottom left there. I had a copy once, no idea if I still do. One I know I do have is the Monster Manual, the one to the right of the bright red book on the top left. It has some great art in it as well as some wonderful monsters.

I'd like to play this for nostalgia's sake at some point.

Doctor Sbaitso

Patron

:whatho:

It has HeroQuest (not the QFG one) written all over it. Which was okay for ZX Spectrum, I guess, until I tried the first proper RPG.

I'm not sure you understood what I was saying, unless you don't think KoTC or POR (meaning their content, systems and mechanics) in this engine would look good?

mondblut

Arcane
I'm not sure you understood what I was saying, unless you don't think KoTC or POR (meaning their content, systems and mechanics) in this engine would look good?

Depends what did you imply by "engine". In a wide (and proper) sense, anything from an fps to 4x game can be made on the same engine, and it bears zero effect to how the game looks (beyond bling like HDR and shit) and plays (unless it requires some advanced physics or something). It's just a ready-made framework to output your graphics on screen and take your mouse input. Would you say "KOTC would look great in Unity/Unreal/Gamebryo"?

And if you meant something more specific like people tend to, as in, "let's take this very thing and slap D&D on top of it", then no, KOTC or POR would suck in these tiny rooms and one-character-wide passages.

Last edited:

Doctor Sbaitso

Patron
:nocountryforshitposters:

Let's make believe for a second that KoTC could be presented in this manner, yet miraculously all systems and maps are in tact. Does that help?

mondblut

Arcane
:nocountryforshitposters:

Let's make believe for a second that KoTC could be presented in this manner, yet miraculously all systems and maps are in tact. Does that help?

KOTC would benefit from being presented in any manner all the way back to diablow/fallout age of graphics. He had no budget for higher fidelity art, so the point is moot.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom