Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 1 Thread

BosanskiSeljak

Learned
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
TW1 combat actually felt like fighting as a Witcher with an internal clock, not the dark souls knockoff movement in Witcher 2 and 3.

It's better than the later installments while also being more true to the setting.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Witcher 1 combat is even better when the game is played from isometric perspective as it was designed. Over the shoulder view is shit, except maybe if you want to sight see here and there.
Overall the game looks and plays much better isometric.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
TW1 combat was pretty simplistic, but functional. Also quite deadly on the Hard difficulty.

Group combat style was pretty awesome.

And yeah, at least it had identity and style - unlike TW2 rollfest & TW3 combat.

Also loved TW1 atmosphere, dialogues, lore, books and Alchemy.

Steep decline in the following entries to the series...

BosanskiSeljak

Learned
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Group combat style was pretty broken because you didn't have to hit multiple enemies for the damage multiplier, they just had to be within the vicinity IIRC. Which means you could 1v1 enemies and destroy them with it.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Group combat style was pretty broken because you didn't have to hit multiple enemies for the damage multiplier, they just had to be within the vicinity IIRC. Which means you could 1v1 enemies and destroy them with it.
In case of this game about a professional, magically and genetically altered master swordsman murder machine, I'm not sure you need fine balance to have fun.
Certainly didn't enjoy roll-playing in TW2.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Aren't witchers professional, magically and genetically altered murder machines in order to stand toe to toe with the monsters of the world, not turn them into mince meat immediately? Balance should be expected.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Perhaps. But Group Style is mostly useful versus... groups of weaker enemies, duh. Such a witcher can butcher quite effortlessly (unless cought unaware by a pitchfork mob, I suppose).
Not single Alpha monsters.

Ryzer

Prophet
Vatnik
Witcher 1 combat is a joke, this is revisionism. It was never satisfying or enjoyable. Witcher 1 is good for the story, the atmosphere, the environment, the quests, the quest design but certainly not for the gameplay.

BosanskiSeljak

Learned
Patron
Witcher 1 combat is a joke, this is revisionism. It was never satisfying or enjoyable. Witcher 1 is good for the story, the atmosphere, the environment, the quests, the quest design but certainly not for the gameplay.
Oh, so you're a mind reader and know exactly what I was thinking back then?

Either way, nice reading comprehension you got there. Let's review:
TW1 combat was pretty simplistic, but functional. Also quite deadly on the Hard difficulty.

Group combat style was pretty awesome.

And yeah, at least it had identity and style - unlike TW2 rollfest & TW3 combat.

TW1 combat actually felt like fighting as a Witcher with an internal clock, not the dark souls knockoff movement in Witcher 2 and 3.

It's better than the later installments while also being more true to the setting.

Witcher 1 combat is even better when the game is played from isometric perspective as it was designed. Over the shoulder view is shit, except maybe if you want to sight see here and there.
Overall the game looks and plays much better isometric.

1. Talking about it being simplistic and functional, having identity and style (it did).

2. All about being true to the setting/lore stuff, or at least feeling that way

3. Talking about Witcher 1 in isolation, that isometric is better than third person.

Now where, Ryzer, is the revisionism? I think you'd fail a 10th grade literacy test like all the niggers with the level of reading comprehension you've showcased here. Which makes it even funnier that you're wrong and the combat was enjoyable for what it was.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Well, I was of a similar opinion initially.

...then Witcher 2 was released and I started appreciating TW1 combat more.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Witcher 1 combat is a rhythm game.
Witcher 2 combat is lite Dark Souls but with a broken hit detection.
Witcher 3 combat is just meh.

Witcher 1 has the least amount of queen/rolling so it is automatically the best.

Last edited:

BosanskiSeljak

Learned
Patron
Which makes it even funnier that you're wrong and the combat was enjoyable for what it was.
And that's wrong even for what it was, take off your rose-tinted nostalgia goggles.
No nostalgia, I played this game 2 years ago and enjoyed it even more. But good to know you're at least aware at how none of the previous posts talked about what you were claiming. Or do I need to give you another English lesson?

BosanskiSeljak

Learned
Patron

Wither 1 has the least amount of queen/rolling so it is automatically the best.
A rhythm game which is more true to the setting, and you get to watch how different Geralt fights vs. the common fighter and enjoy those oh so wonderful animations

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron

A rhythm game which is more true to the setting, and you get to watch how different Geralt fights vs. the common fighter and enjoy those oh so wonderful animations
Not to mention that in TW1 combat character stats matter more than player skill. In an RPG. Shocking, rite?

Ryzer

Prophet
Vatnik

Not to mention that in TW1 combat character stats matter more than player skill. In an RPG. Shocking, rite?
Doesn't matter, in the end all stats are pumped to the max very quick.

BosanskiSeljak

Learned
Patron

Doesn't matter, in the end all stats are pumped to the max very quick.
The only skills you can max full are Bronze. So, again, you are wrong.

BosanskiSeljak

Learned
Patron

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron

Ryzer

Prophet
Vatnik
So, again, you are wrong.
Pliz no bully Ryzer. He's special.
Being special here is enjoying a gameplay which is all about clicking the left click at the right time, many fun!!!
And yet you fail to make a single argument, while both posts you've made were factually incorrect against this so called combat.
In what ways? I can't say much about a gameplay which is all about timing your click, it's the level 0 of a combat system. Do I really need to praise the pre-buffing section with potions? Please every games do that, it's nothing extraordinary. Also about leveling, I repeat that the game allows you to quickly raise all stats up to the limits allowed by the chapter.

BosanskiSeljak

Learned
Patron
In what ways? I can't say much about a gameplay which is all about timing your click, it's the level 0 of a combat system. Do I really need to praise the pre-buffing section with potions? Please every games do that, it's nothing extraordinary. Also about leveling, I repeat that the game allows you to quickly raise the stats up to the limits allowed to the chapter.
Your first post brought up things no one was talking about.

As for stats, like I said, the only stats you can fully max for everything by end game are bronze.

Those were your two points, so bring something to the table.

Also "nothing extraordinary" doesn't mean it can't be enjoyable.

Ryzer

Prophet
Vatnik
In what ways? I can't say much about a gameplay which is all about timing your click, it's the level 0 of a combat system. Do I really need to praise the pre-buffing section with potions? Please every games do that, it's nothing extraordinary. Also about leveling, I repeat that the game allows you to quickly raise the stats up to the limits allowed to the chapter.
As for stats, like I said, the only stats you can fully max for everything by end game are bronze.
According to the wiki:
Talent Points
  • Total
    • By level 50, from level progression alone, you get 92 Bronze Talents, 76 Silver Talents, and 23 Gold Talents.
    • An additional 2 Bronze, 3 Silver and 2 Gold Talents can be acquired from Mutagenic Potions. You must kill the Striga in Chapter 5 in order to make one of the potions. This mod lets you buy the required ingredient instead.
    • 1 Silver Talent Point is obtained by completing the Ripples quest.
    • The modified total is therefore 94 / 80 / 25.
  • Selection
    • There are 111 Bronze, 102 Silver and 33 Gold talents to choose from.
    • 11 Bronze talents are free: Level One in the 6 swords styles (you begin with them) and 5 magic signs (you acquire them during the story).
    • 2 Bronze talents (Potion Brewing, Flaying) are given during the Prologue.
    • 1 Bronze talent (Monster Lore) provides bestiary entries that can be acquired during the game by reading books, so there is no point taking it.
    • 4 Bronze talents (True Grit, Moonrise, Mutation, Predator) can only be acquired from Mutagenic potions made using special ingredients. You must kill the Werewolf in Chapter 3 to get the Fur necessary for the Predator potion. This mod lets you buy the required ingredient in Chapter 5, another mod lets you buy it in Chapter 4.
    • The modified total is therefore 93 / 102 / 33.
  • You are therefore short 22 Silver Talents and 8 Gold Talents, IF you reach level 50.
I don't call that character building to be honest, it's very very weak. By the end, you have access to 80% of the silver skills and 75% of the gold skills.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom