Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 1 Thread

Semiurge

Cipher
Have any of you replayed the original lately ? What's your experience with the CTDs ? I'm trying to replay the enhanced edition director cut GOG version and it crashes a lot. Mostly when initiating cinematic sequences or when loading levels. I haven't installed the memory patch or anything yet, the internet isn't quite clear on what causes the game not to work on newer rigs with win10.
https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/The_Witcher#Frequent_game_crashes is the go-to for any issues with old games
So, launching directly from the .exe in admin mode instead of the shortcut solved the problem apparently.

My last playthrough was on Win7 and the only frequent crashes happened in places where I knew to expect them, the Vizima trade quarter during peak NPC hours and then the Salamandra base at the end of chapter 3 where the infinitely respawning nonhumans/knights and Javed's goons have a little rumble.

Is Witcher 1 more unstable on Win10/11 ?

Gerrard

Arcane
So apparently you can make nvidia filters work with any game by simply changing the name of the executable.
Normal game with SSAO through profile inspector
2cGEXq1.jpg

With SSRTGI
c0a2ykp.jpg

OC5qYcy.jpg

Ml0LK5s.jpg

Unfortunately there's some issue with depth buffer where some objects are ignored and the effects show through them, and some don't affect the light/occlusion at all like the boxes here.

3N3nQxi.jpg

JDR13

Arcane
So apparently you can make nvidia filters work with any game by simply changing the name of the executable.
Not impressed. Maybe it looks better when the scene is in motion, but I think it looks oversaturated with too much bloom.

Dwarvophile

Liturgist
Have any of you replayed the original lately ? What's your experience with the CTDs ? I'm trying to replay the enhanced edition director cut GOG version and it crashes a lot. Mostly when initiating cinematic sequences or when loading levels. I haven't installed the memory patch or anything yet, the internet isn't quite clear on what causes the game not to work on newer rigs with win10.
https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/The_Witcher#Frequent_game_crashes is the go-to for any issues with old games
So, launching directly from the .exe in admin mode instead of the shortcut solved the problem apparently.

My last playthrough was on Win7 and the only frequent crashes happened in places where I knew to expect them, the Vizima trade quarter during peak NPC hours and then the Salamandra base at the end of chapter 3 where the infinitely respawning nonhumans/knights and Javed's goons have a little rumble.

Is Witcher 1 more unstable on Win10/11 ?

I have Win10. I mean I can't remember how it was with WIn 7 since I played it more than 10 years ago & quite shortly. But it's quite stable now that I launch it directly from the .exe. Only one CTD in 10 hours of gameplay, and I think it was caused by my external soundcard.

Gerrard

Arcane
Not impressed. Maybe it looks better when the scene is in motion, but I think it looks oversaturated with too much bloom.
There is no difference in saturation my dude. You might be blind. There is difference in contrast due to the occlusion.
The bloom is an in-game effect, I don't remember if there's a way to turn it off, there isn't in the options.

Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
I played partway through this game and ended up disliking it more and more until I dropped it. This is supposed to be more mechanically complex and hardcore than the average Console RPG, yet the game is easy and all you need to use to win are a couple Potions. Swallow to heal, and Blizzard to enter God Mode where you avoid all attacks in bullet time. They are both relatively cheap-to-make as well. You can also instakill most single enemies with the first spell you get in the game, by stabbing them after. The swamp plant and ghost dog are the only difficult enemies. This makes oils and bombs useless.

The quest system is decent in this game, and I liked some of the side quests like the Vodyanoi. Most of them are fetch quests though. Already at 2007 it showed exactly where to go on the map and had quest markers, too bad.

The story is some cucked "racism is bad" shit, and is more aggressive than usual; this time "racism" has the power to drive people to randomly kill strangers on the spot. The way you are introduced to game is defending a dwarf who is getting murdered by a group of three cuz raycizm. From what I've heard the main villain hates dwarves and elves for no reason at all. You can see the fantasy staple races getting messed up, where now Dwarves are jews and Elves are american indians. There's also the typical dig at religion and an innocent witch being tried.
If you want to cry about "racism is bad" shit, where Elves are the poor, oppressed race who are 1000x more evolved than humans, go play Dragon Age: Inquisition. Elves in the Witcher world are so fucked, they have some factions of terrorists as their last hope, and those are gonna die out (or remain small forever). It's too late for them. Even when they talk about human cities being built on the ruins of (Better) Eleven ones, you find out the Elves just found that and took it from another race. Exactly what the humans are doing to them, but they don't like the taste of their own medicine. Witcher 1 is based as fuck.

In DA:I, everything is about elves (+bonus SJW retcons). Go scream into the void by playing that franchise instead.

JDR13

Arcane
There is no difference in saturation my dude. You might be blind. There is difference in contrast due to the occlusion.
The bloom is an in-game effect, I don't remember if there's a way to turn it off, there isn't in the options.
Well for whatever reason, the bloom is way worse with that filter applied.

Gastrick

Cipher
I played partway through this game and ended up disliking it more and more until I dropped it. This is supposed to be more mechanically complex and hardcore than the average Console RPG, yet the game is easy and all you need to use to win are a couple Potions. Swallow to heal, and Blizzard to enter God Mode where you avoid all attacks in bullet time. They are both relatively cheap-to-make as well. You can also instakill most single enemies with the first spell you get in the game, by stabbing them after. The swamp plant and ghost dog are the only difficult enemies. This makes oils and bombs useless.

The quest system is decent in this game, and I liked some of the side quests like the Vodyanoi. Most of them are fetch quests though. Already at 2007 it showed exactly where to go on the map and had quest markers, too bad.

The story is some cucked "racism is bad" shit, and is more aggressive than usual; this time "racism" has the power to drive people to randomly kill strangers on the spot. The way you are introduced to game is defending a dwarf who is getting murdered by a group of three cuz raycizm. From what I've heard the main villain hates dwarves and elves for no reason at all. You can see the fantasy staple races getting messed up, where now Dwarves are jews and Elves are american indians. There's also the typical dig at religion and an innocent witch being tried.
If you want to cry about "racism is bad" shit, where Elves are the poor, oppressed race who are 1000x more evolved than humans, go play Dragon Age: Inquisition. Elves in the Witcher world are so fucked, they have some factions of terrorists as their last hope, and those are gonna die out (or remain small forever). It's too late for them. Even when they talk about human cities being built on the ruins of (Better) Eleven ones, you find out the Elves just found that and took it from another race. Exactly what the humans are doing to them, but they don't like the taste of their own medicine. Witcher 1 is based as fuck.

In DA:I, everything is about elves (+bonus SJW retcons). Go scream into the void by playing that franchise instead.
This post is my early thoughts after playing the first two acts. From what I've read in this thread, it does get more based as it goes along, since it shows that the elves hate humans and are brutal terrorists, making the Knightly Order side more reasonable in their actions and beliefs. The group of three randomly deciding to kill Chivay, could be explained as them being murderers to begin with, and them being less hesitant and more willing when it's a dwarf.

Last edited:
Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.

This post is my early thoughts after playing the first two acts. From what I've read in this thread, it does get more based as it goes along, since it shows that the elves hate humans and are brutal terrorists, making the Knightly Order side more reasonable in their actions and beliefs. The group of three randomly deciding to kill Chivay, could be better explained as them being murderers to begin with, and them being less hesitant and more willing when it's a dwarf.
Sounds like it's time to finish more acts by killing/fucking the elves whenever you can + teaching a small kid to be racist against them.

Dwarvophile

Liturgist
Ok, I'm in chapter 3 and already 5 redhead girls hitting on Geralt, now this is getting far too supernatural. Obviously, one of the devs had a fetish. Is Geralt supposed to have sex with them all, does it give access to a special mutagen?

The game is good, great atmosphere, good writing, and at higher difficulty the clunkyness of the combat system forces u to use potions & get into alchemy which, I mean in most games I don't even bother to resort to crafting.

I find the graphics aged well & the music is quite good. Just, the ambient sounds could be better (is there a monkey hidden in the swamps? wtf is this whoosh sound everytime I enter/exit a building?).

Last edited:

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I can't find the remake forum?. But apparently there's Youtube videos stating W1 remake might be full of wokery. Something about this ESG stuff that they have to comply with or it effects investment in the company. I'm just gonna wait and see. FIrst game was fine.

Glop_dweller

Prophet
Combat was (of course) the best part of the game; later it being the most damaging changed/omission/simplification to the series ( among the unfortunate many :( ). This adversely affected both sequels—ruining the mechanics, and the atmosphere of those sequels by ultimately making it impossible to play Geralt in character. Geralt was a pragmatist, and an expert swordsman, who by the middle of the series was reduced to flailing his weapon, rolling in the dirt, on stairs, and having to guess in advance what potions he might possibly need active before his future encounters, which at times could come as an unanticipated ambush.

:nocountryforshitposters:

Last edited:

Frozen

Arcane
TW1 combat is no worse than TW3 combat. Both are simplistic and stupid.

TW1 main problem is small stupid things like difficulty jump in that dog boss fight, or how you could get stuck in chapter 5 because of a fight outside a door you must enter or so much filler backtracking (read: swamp)

But even with those bad 2007 stuff it's still by far the best Witcher game. If you play it properly (hardest difficulty) it has best itemization and potions actually are important.

Never understood people who act like Witcher 1 combat is the worst thing ever. There's an entire genre of games (diablo clones) that literally do the same thing of having you click on enemies until they die. And Neverwinter Nights combat is certainly far less complex for all non-casting classes, so you can't say the devs didn't drastically improve on the engine they started with.

Glop_dweller

Prophet
...click on enemies until they die...
This is (at times ;)) a gross simplification. While it often does technically play out like that, in RPGs it depicts the character's personal ability to achieve success in combat; you point, they punch—they fail if inept or unlucky; which is as it always should be in an RPG... as opposed to a costume quest.

Frozen

Arcane
TW1 is great example how less is more, born probably from necessity more than planned.

In TW3 99% of all items are useless junk including potions. You just trade them for money, and you trade that to look pretty because all armor buffs have zero effect on your stats, so they don't force you play in a different way.

Beside different looking Witcher armors and different damage number to 1000000 very special swords, only really important item is food. Food>>>>>>> all other useless potions and decoctions.

If you delete 99% of items in TW3 you would still play the same way and have the same (even better) experience.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom