Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 1 Thread

DemonKing

Arcane
MasPingon said:

Actually I used to get exactly the same bug in KOTOR with some ATI drivers, so it's probably a Bioware engine/ATI problem.

Just one of the reasons I switched back to Nvidia.

Catalina

Scholar
Out of curiosity, are there in-game settings to fiddle with the amount of violence and/or sexual content in game? Or are parts only censored in certain countries?

cardtrick

Arbiter
No in-game options for violence/sexuality, at least as far as I can tell. (I got the UK version, though, so maybe it's different in others.)

So, I've played quite a bit more and I'm still really loving this game. Oddly enough, dialog translation quality has actually improved, as has voice acting; it's weird, but I think the intro/prologue might be the weakest part of the game. Seems like a poor introduction.

It's not perfect, and it's probably not a masterpiece, but it's totally unique and a lot of fun. I'm having a great time.

There are a couple of things that I forgot to mention earlier:

If you're the sort of person to be upset or offended by violence, racism, or sexism, this is not the game for you. There have been references to children being killed/enslaved, women raped, nonhumans slaughtered like dogs, and several references to women being beaten by their husbands. Not all of this is presented as outrageous, either, particularly the stuff against women (peasant women being beaten by their husbands is presented as commonplace), so if you expect that to bother you then you might give this a miss. On the other hand, it definitely fits the setting. Oh, there's also some profanity, but I can't imagine that bothering anyone here ("Your mother sucks dwarf cock!" and "Abso-fucking-lutely" are my favorites).

NPC scripts/schedules! I forgot to mention these earlier. They work great and they're really immersive. NPCs work or visit the inn during the day, sleep in their beds at night, take cover when it rains, have short scripted conversations with one another, etc. It's very similar to Gothic and not at all like Oblivion.

One major annoyance: for no imaginable reason, you cannot name your saved games. This is just dumb.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
bozia2012 said:
In Germany they censor blood&gore (true?)
Actually, publishers censor blood&gore to avoid the fate of The Witcher and recieve "no youth clearance" by the USK.
It's funny though that the entire Gothic series is USK12. Maybe the testers missed the part about consciously murdering people, or maybe they honour the fact that you can spare people, but I doubt it.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
cardtrick said:

The overall atmoshpere is sometimes really heavy - the outskirts of Vyzima are really extreme if you conduct the investigation correctly and get to know the whole truth. And it's just a beginning.

The game has lots of quests in which you have to bring the trophy of more powerful monsters (usually the head) - is this gore? How would you censor this?

Driads are easy to censor - just put them in a nice bikini.

Destroid

Arcane
DemonKing said:
MasPingon said:

Actually I used to get exactly the same bug in KOTOR with some ATI drivers, so it's probably a Bioware engine/ATI problem.

Just one of the reasons I switched back to Nvidia.

Lol, a similar bug afflicted the eve forums when I used to play, some people would miss their heads, leaving only the clothes, eyes and hair, which looked really odd.

yarpen

Novice
Callaxes said:
Add to this the fact that Vader composed a song about the game and They have a stunt crew!

All that money and they still have reviews giving them 7/10. I realy doupth this game will ever sell enough to compansate the cost, is there actualy someone here naive enough to think otherwise?
It's not *that* much money, when comparing to AAA games by Western developers. With this first title we (CDPR) plan to introduce hero/world/IP rather than make trucks of money. I imagine it may be a little frustrating for world publisher, tho. They release two solid RPGs (MOTB and The Witcher) and they both get 70% (in days when the typical rating seems to be in 9.675-9.783 scale or whatever). Wont comment on our game, but arguments like: "It really isn't for anyone other than the devoted western-RPG head" (when reviewing an RPG!) are retarded.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I love the little combat animations. When I do a knockdown spell on someone, Geralt would finish the victim off with a vicious stab on the neck, or sometimes garrote from the back. I could be mistaken, but I saw a head decapitation.

Badesumofu

Novice
I like you CDPR guys, you have attitude and wit. You aren't afraid to criticise things that suck, like Oblivion and reviews that mark an RPG down because it will apeal to RPG fans.

Oarfish

Prophet
You can take some consolation in the strength of the user reviews at least, though they are often more extreme than 'professional' reviews.

The EU first release seems like a bit of a mistake on Atari's part too, given the biggest English gaming sites are US based. I would hope that most places are going to give 80% and above, despite the fact that you can't choose your eyebrow colour or go swimming prevents you from truly roleplaying.

Oh, and congrats on shipping such a great game in 2007, lets hope it gets the attention and critical reception it deserves.

"It really isn't for anyone other than the devoted western-RPG head"

Means 'I don't like RPGs'. Which makes you wonder why the hell he was reviewing one.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I wish reviewers would deduct 2 points off every jRPG since 'it isn't for anyone other than the devoted Japanese-RPG head.'

Monolith

Prophet
yarpen said:
It's not *that* much money, when comparing to AAA games by Western developers. With this first title we (CDPR) plan to introduce hero/world/IP rather than make trucks of money. I imagine it may be a little frustrating for world publisher, tho. They release two solid RPGs (MOTB and The Witcher) and they both get 70% (in days when the typical rating seems to be in 9.675-9.783 scale or whatever). Wont comment on our game, but arguments like: "It really isn't for anyone other than the devoted western-RPG head" (when reviewing an RPG!) are retarded.
Welcome to the world of professional journalism...

BTW, can you comment on how good The Witcher is selling? As expected? I'd really like to see more from you guys so I really hope that it's making you truckloads of money.

The_Pope

Scholar
Oarfish said:
The EU first release seems like a bit of a mistake on Atari's part too, given the biggest English gaming sites are US based. I would hope that most places are going to give 80% and above, despite the fact that you can't choose your eyebrow colour or go swimming prevents you from truly roleplaying.

How can you roleplay when the game won't let you have lavender eyes?

Kraszu

Prophet
Maybe "tutorial" lower scores a little also, professional reviews probably don't games long before giving scores to them. They like never notice depth, or game design flaws at least.

I comment on tutorial based on other people opinion I am waiting for god damn 8800GT.

Ladonna

Arcane

:lol:

Only non RPG's get ratings in the 96-100 band. I can imagine Baldurs Gate 2 getting a 70 something today as well, and that was fairly popular amongst even the fringe.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
RK47 said:
I love the little combat animations. When I do a knockdown spell on someone, Geralt would finish the victim off with a vicious stab on the neck, or sometimes garrote from the back. I could be mistaken, but I saw a head decapitation.

Fights are pretty graphic if you press really hard on your opponents. Sometimes they loose heads even from normal blows (criticals?) and I think I've cut someone's arm off.
All combat animations are fuckin' great. Dodging (tumbling past the opponents), sword-swinging and of course the finishers (what you see depends on the state of the enemy and your weapon) are done exceptionall well. Still it's more realistic than consolish.

I love the Bioware-Aurora2007-Powered logo - it looks like CDPR contributed only the script and art.

Hazelnut

Erudite
Hazelnut said:
scypior said:
they made stupid requirement for the processors, and Athlons XP prior to 64bit and some others without SSE2 aren't supported

Oh, I'm used to being min spec or thereabouts, but if it needs SSE2 and I don't have it then that's me out of the running for purchase.. damn. I've been looking forward to this game for quite a while and until the recent MotB gushing started it was most likely candidate to join Orange Box for my xmas games.
(snip)
Unless I can find a very cheap MB that takes a cheap C2D and my DDR1 + AGP 6600gt maybe. That doesn't require more power than my current PSU can provide... probably 300-350W since it's 5+ years old. :roll:

Okay, this prompted me to have a look around because I really want to play this game. I found a motherboard that takes AGP & PCI-E and DDR1 & DDR2!! So I can upgrade just the board and CPU, keeping GF6600gt & RAM... brilliant. At <£100 I can afford that. Then in a year or so I'll upgrade the memory, followed by the gfx card as finances allow. Without needing a new mainboard. Pure genius by ASRock.

What I've ordered is:

Asrock 4CoreDual-SATA2 (Socket 775) PCI-Express/AGP DDR2 Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo E2140 "LGA775 Conroe" 1.60GHz (800FSB) - Retail

It's the cheapest C2D that's out. Hopefully it will overclock a bit, even with my PC333 DDR RAM. This should be quite a step over my XP2200+. The only possible fly in the ointment might be the power supply... but I think it will be okay until I get a new gfx card. (any comments welcome)

Deleted member 7219

Come on guys everybody knows only console FPS games get 9.5 and above. Oblivion, Bioshock, Halo 3....

Rulion

Liturgist
I'm simply loving this game. The fact that I'm at work right now but checking this thread for a fix kinda tells you something. Yarpen - you guys have done an amazing job, and I really hope this pays off financially so you can continue making games of the same caliber.

Out of curiousity, what camera angle is everyone using? I started off with the default high isometric, moved on to low isometric, but was surprised when I found OTS to work best for me. It makes the combat feel more intense, and I don't think the isometric cameras are too intuitive.

On a sidenote, I decided to get in on the fist-fighting tournament in that first town after the castle - his animations are pretty badass.

Oarfish

Prophet
Yeah, I'm playing with the OTS, used to it from Gothic. It works great except when you are fighting in crowded rooms and get clipping issues- it would be much better if people just plied out of the garden shed sized buildings rather than waiting for you to slaughter your way to them. A minor niggle :)

vrok

Liturgist
OTS cam and hard mode all the way. Anything else doesn't do the game justice.

The only problem I have with the OTS cam is that big enemies surrounding you can often get in the way of the crosshair, making you unable to hit the target in front of you without repositioning. However, since combos can continue on different enemies and repositioning just requires a double tap, it's not that big of a deal. A little further zoom out range wouldn't hurt though I suppose.

Currently replaying the game as an elf lover (I couldn't have sex with them the first time) and I was thoroughly surprised when a seemingly irrelevant, or so I thought, choice in chapter 1 resulted in the death of a character I talked to for a few quests in my earlier playthrough where I did my best to play a truly neutral hardass. I really didn't expect such a vicious outcome from what seemed like a "kill x drowners quest".

cardtrick

Arbiter
I use OTS for exploring and for easy fights or fights against one opponent. This is a really cinematic game, and OTS takes full advantage of that. I have trouble controlling my positioning in OTS for harder fights, though, so I switch to low isometric if I feel like I'm getting overwhelmed.

I fucking love this game.

Besides my more detailed review earlier, it just has some quality that's hard to define. You can tell that the developers loved what they were doing and were proud of the game. It has soul. I think this is definitely in my top 5.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom