Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 1 Thread

cardtrick

Arbiter
bozia2012 said:
I liked the quest in which you had to kill some "plants". The questgiver put a nice tempo on the alcohol-absorption so when I went outside the house I had to fight 10ft tall "plants" while being completely drunk.

Yeah, that was very cool. I missed something with that questline that hopefully I'll see on my next playthrough . . . after you went out the next day, the dog starts growling and guarding a spot of dirt, but I couldn't figure out how to do anything about it. I mean, I'm pretty sure I know (based on later conversations) what was there, but it would still be nice to see it for myself.

jasondragon

Novice
Just played it this morning for about an hour. Wow. Loved the introduction, the tutorial/beginning story is just fabulous! I'm having a blast. It's been a long time since I've enjoyed a game this much.

The story/characters reminds me a little of the Metal Gear games for PS/PS2 in relation to see these new enemies up close and getting to know them a little. The combat requires a little bit of interaction which makes it more than a click fest. Great music, great cutscenes, and interesting characters. Loving it so far.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
jasondragon said:
the tutorial/beginning story is just fabulous!
is it? i found the linearity pretty lame. the only interesting thing about the prologue is the atmosphere of the castle, and the choice in the middle.. rest of the game is much much better than that. can't wait to finish it and make completely different decisions...
cardtrick said:
the blurred vision, staggering, and decreased combat abilities would be fine, if only you didn't walk so slowly.
wives' tears pots ftw!

Vandal

Novice
bozia2012 said:
Walkin slowly is the only downside. I liked the quest in which you had to kill some "plants". The questgiver put a nice tempo on the alcohol-absorption so when I went outside the house I had to fight 10ft tall "plants" while being completely drunk.
Oh man, that pissed me right off :). It made me immediately pop a couple points into the booze-related resistances and whatnot, just in case I get to another point in the game where I get drunk as a skunk and have to fight. Love the drunkenness effects, though.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
I had a better one.

I was at Shani's place, we were drinking hard and I passed out - the old lady from the ground floor threw me out of the house.The city map loaded and the game autosaved (I generally don't save - I do it only when I knew some shit may happen). I was lying unconscious near the gutter and generally having a good time but several seconds later a thug (who was jus' passin' by) killed me :) Thank God it wasn't Roqua.

Texas Red

Whiner
Good game but not as great as the forums would suggest. May it is though, Im only in the outskirts. What bothers me are MMOG-like collect me rat tail quests and the insane amount of barrels with loot inside them. There are these generic houses with nothing in them except loot and it takes AGES of loading to leave them.

Im pretty much hopeless, but any way to boost the loading times?

BTW, I literally lolled when another witcher asked me if I know somebody, and Geralt responed in a slightly sarcastic voice, "I have amnesia.":D

I will post real impressions once Im longer in the game.

Oarfish

Prophet

If you have 2 gigs, defrag might help. Use contig to just defrag game files.

insane amount of barrels with loot inside them

I find it best to just let go of the klepto urge - there's bugger all of value in barrels.

collect me rat tail quests

Chapter 1 has lots of that, that is kind of his job. More variety in chapter II, including a good detective quest.

cardtrick

Arbiter
The Walkin' Dude said:
Im pretty much hopeless, but any way to boost the loading times?.

If you haven't defragged in a while, there are reports that doing so might shave off as much as 10 seconds of load times. More ram is certainly your best bet.

There have also been several people on the official forums posting about something called GameXP which is supposed to help, but the website is a little vague on what exactly it does and I certainly can't vouch for it myself.

Still, loadtimes seem to suck for everyone. It's definitely annoying.

indigo

Novice
250km south from The Witcher's creators office
Hmm I've just noticed something, maybe I lack the knowledge but according to Sapkowski's short story "Wiedzmin" ("The Witcher"), the same included in polish edtion of game, Adda is a name of Foltest's sister. Incest relationship of Adda and Foltest resulted in conception and birth of monster child. Adda died during delivery.14 years later Geralt was hired to take off the curse and bring back the child to human form.

Yet, on page 8 of polish game instruction (Instrukcja do gry), in section "Important characters" we can read that Adda is a incest conceived princess, former monster-child rescued by Geralt.

My question is WTF? Is this a mistake (authors didnt read carefully and confused mother with daughter - it would be quite scandalous), or intended difference between Sapkowski's story and the game? :?:

ps. I admit before, and I admit it now again - I haven't read other Sapkowski's books, just this short story. Maybe daughter was named after mother, I don't know. Maybe someone with better knowledge explain it.

ricolikesrice

Arcane
Jaime Lannister said:

TVG said:
The Witcher matches the style and substance typically associated with a Bioware RPG - perhaps the finest recommendation we can make.

ok, cancelled my order

just kidding, but that sounds like

"Operation Flashpoint matches the style and substance typically associated with the Halo franchise - perhaps the finest recommendation we can make"

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
indigo said:
Maybe daughter was named after mother, I don't know..
Most likely. IIRC it was never mentioned in the books, but it is entirely logical and i don't see any "wtf" here.

dragonfk

Erudite
indigo said:
Hmm I've just noticed something, maybe I lack the knowledge but according to Sapkowski's short story "Wiedzmin" ("The Witcher"), the same included in polish edtion of game, Adda is a name of Foltest's sister. Incest relationship of Adda and Foltest resulted in conception and birth of monster child. Adda died during delivery.14 years later Geralt was hired to take off the curse and bring back the child to human form.

Yet, on page 8 of polish game instruction (Instrukcja do gry), in section "Important characters" we can read that Adda is a incest conceived princess, former monster-child rescued by Geralt.

My question is WTF? Is this a mistake (authors didnt read carefully and confused mother with daughter - it would be quite scandalous), or intended difference between Sapkowski's story and the game? :?:

ps. I admit before, and I admit it now again - I haven't read other Sapkowski's books, just this short story. Maybe daughter was named after mother, I don't know. Maybe someone with better knowledge explain it.

I dont recall any other info about Foltests child in later books. So I would bet that she was named after her mother.

indigo

Novice
250km south from The Witcher's creators office
Hamster said:
indigo said:
Maybe daughter was named after mother, I don't know..
Most likely. IIRC it was never mentioned in the books, but it is entirely logical and i don't see any "wtf" here.

It what-the-fucked me completely - I pay close attention to details, if something doesn't match I can't sleep, have problems with erection, sweat etc. But seriously thanks for reply, if there is no mention in books then ok. After reading short story I got confused.

Novice
The Walkin' Dude said:

I'm playing TW at the moment on my laptop with 2 gigs and noticed that lowering textures and shadow detail to lowest helps a lot with loading times and game doesn't look bad at all. I think it is a good compromise between quality and loading time. In task manager memory usage went from 1,2 gig to 800 mb thanks to lowering texture detail.

a_nevels666

Novice
Jasede said:
I am considering it too, even though I already know I am going to find it distasteful. But so was Ultima 7(-2) in its gore and sexuality, while still being the best game ever.

I hope I can get Polish voices and text. It's gonna help me learn the language. If anyone has the German version, does the DVD also come with a Polish-language one?

Ultima 7 had gore and sexuality? I don't remember that at all. Guess it's time to replay it.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
uh. right at start. we see....body parts. and a whorehouse in buc's den.

i'm playing on normal difficulty at the moment. Quite a nice contrast between day and night cycle. During the day I was busy gathering herbs, talking to people and exploring the country side while at night, I was killing monsters left and right to complete my contracts. Then back to the tavern for a little dice game or fist fight and meditate/alchemy.

What disappointed me was the fact that some area are simply sealed off till the quest giver tells you to head over. I found a locked Crypt that would not open till I talked to a guard about clearing it out.

Best moment in game was running into the crypt without a night vision potion or torch ready. I ran in...killed the first ghoul. No problem. Ran a bit further inside, heard weird noises, decided to keep going ahead...suddenly I realized there were probably more than 4-5 of them on me. Popped a quick reflex potion that made everything slow-mo to survive. Pretty nice come back.

Note: I have trouble finding stuff in the dark, is there a way to highlight or make interactables text to show over them aside form turning it on constantly in the game options?

pug987

Scholar
RK47 said:
Note: I have trouble finding stuff in the dark, is there a way to highlight or make interactables text to show over them aside form turning it on constantly in the game options?

The Alt key.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
RK47 said:
What disappointed me was the fact that some area are simply sealed off till the quest giver tells you to head over. I found a locked Crypt that would not open till I talked to a guard about clearing it out.
it's even more annoying. a passage in the crypt is sealed until you finish the quest, and the new area isn't even at all quest related...
they are both explained ingame, as the guard gives you the key for the crypt, and later a few guards clear the passage, but still annoying.

awesome game despite all the shortcomings, though. the end of act 1 is pretty neat, and the main quest in act 2 is pure goodness.

suleo

Scholar
RK47 said:

One is the alt key as mentioned above.

Better yet, make a Cat potion. It gives you nightvision. I always pack 5-6 of those, together with 10 swallows. Good potions for generic dungeon-clearing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom