Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 1 Thread

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
I love this line from Geralt:

"Power, sex. Sex, power. They both come to one thing - fucking others".

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Umm how do I get torches outside Vizima? Those nightvision pots are expensive to make.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
RK47 said:
i'm playing on normal difficulty at the moment. (...) Best moment in game was running into the crypt without a night vision potion or torch ready. I ran in...killed the first ghoul. No problem. Ran a bit further inside, heard weird noises, decided to keep going ahead...suddenly I realized there were probably more than 4-5 of them on me. Popped a quick reflex potion that made everything slow-mo to survive. Pretty nice come back.

You see, running on hard difficulty into 4-5 ghuls is insta-kill (if you weren't prepared). During this quest I had to make a special oil, drink sparrow and cat. And I had to dodge a bit while fighting to not get surrounded. IIRC past the blocked passage there's an alghul - unkillable until very late Act I (he has too much HPs and regenerates them). This is more like in the books as in one of the short stories Geralt was fighting with several ghuls and nearly paid his life for it (mostly due to their "poisoned" claws and teeth).

RK47

Patron
ah i was kinda iffy on the combat system, especially the dodging part.

I'm not very confident on dodging blows. Clicking on the ground doesn't seem very intutitive.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
RK47 said:
ah i was kinda iffy on the combat system, especially the dodging part.

I'm not very confident on dodging blows. Clicking on the ground doesn't seem very intutitive.

Ynot? You click on a place you would rather be in this kinda situation AMIRITE?
Dodging won't work sometimes - dunno if it is bugged or it's just not always possible (skill check?).

RK47

Patron
yep that's the dodgy part. Who knows, I'd replay it on hard. You're right on Normal being too easy. I havent really felt challenged yet outside Vizima. Most of the mobs are downed with my usual Aart+Coup De Grace. Retreat till Endurance refills, then repeat. Didn't even put a single point in any sword styles.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Elhoim said:

I really hate this Geralt guy already.

I'd rather have Ultima X. A good one. The more I hear from this game the more distasteful it becomes, not to say tasteless, which means the same but makes this sentence longer, a practice that shows of bad writing though it gives this lengthy sentence a somewhat official touch, as if it was a letter from the tax department.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I just find the setting distasteful, and how Geralt has sex without ever comitting, cheapening himself and the women he is with. You should not have sex without being married.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Umm how do I get torches outside Vizima? Those nightvision pots are expensive to make.

Yup, they are. There are a couple of torches to be found in houses as far as I remember. However, it means exchanging the knife for a torch. I recall a torch in the grandmothers house in the village near the bridge. There are at least a few in that village though, so if I'm wrong with that house try the others. (edit, I'm talking about the outskirts of Vizima)

I just find the setting distasteful, and how Geralt has sex without ever comitting, cheapening himself and the women he is with. You should not have sex without being married.

:roll:

Texas Red

Whiner
Jasede said:

The first time you have sex its with a woman you have a relationship with. Geralt is a real badass though, not an emo Vaan boy.

"Your mother sucks dwarf cock." <----<< WTF?

pkt-zer0

Scholar
Jasede said:
I'm fairly sure that The Witcher's world wasn't intended to be Disneyland.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Sure, that's okay, but I don't like being forced into a character like that.

Unless he has Garrett's voice. :D~~~

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
RK47 said:
yep that's the dodgy part. Who knows, I'd replay it on hard. You're right on Normal being too easy. I havent really felt challenged yet outside Vizima. Most of the mobs are downed with my usual Aart+Coup De Grace. Retreat till Endurance refills, then repeat. Didn't even put a single point in any sword styles.

I've started doing the merchant part of Vyzima and I'm ca. level 21 (are you leveling up faster?) - I'm doing all quests I can. The fights are also starting to get a bit easy - mainly because the group style is a bit overpowered. Still fighting 2 archeospores or a pack of wyverns is beyond my reach - this is mainly because of the combat system: enemies hit hard, often manage to incapacitate you and always try to surround you.

There is a chance that registered owners will get some add-ons and I hope CDPR will release some kind of hardcore mode (levelling slower, swinging and casting should drain more energy). Also you can spam signs as the energy regen is too high - in the books casting strong spells was very exhausting and you had to drain mana from the source to replenish it (which could be fatal if done without preparation). But maybe I'm mistaken and Vyzima is just a playground.

I nominate Jasede for the winner of this thread!
Man, you're either joking, less than 12yo or you live a very sheltered life - anyway good luck!

Oh, yeah guys I hope y'all get the books as soon they're translated!

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
first of all, you're not being forced to act like that. You don't have to have sex with these woman.

Secondly, the character of Geralt is quite interesting. He's basically a nice guy who's a bit rough around the edges. Not that strange considering he's a mutant that's shunned by most people and spends his days butchering the various critters that infest the lands.

Thirdly, having sex with a woman doesn't cheapen you. It's actually a pretty fun way to spend your and her time. Dude, lighten a bit up and try to have some fun. Live is a rather short ride, you might as well try to have a good time while it lasts.

Oh, yeah guys I hope y'all get the books as soon they're translated!

Sure will!

Jasede said:
Elhoim said:

I really hate this Geralt guy already.
It's a dialogue option, your version of Geralt doesn't have to say it - although the line does make sense in relation to the character he's talking too. For fans of Bioware's odious romance dialogues there is the opportunity to engage in a 'meaningful' relationship rather than, or in addition to, casual sex.

Kraszu

Prophet
lol meaningful relationship morons rage, it is more complex and harder to understand for me so it is morally superior. Having fun is immoral? Explain what is wrong whit it, give any logic reasons. If nobody is harmed then there is nothing wrong it, actually it can make others people life better.

Texas Red

Whiner
I feel stupid for asking this because google reveals that Im the only one whos in trouble, but where is the Salamandra hideout? Is it in the crypt? I didnt find it there.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
There is nothing more complex about non-meaningful sexual contact - in fact it is primitive and make us beastly. We're human and shouldn't subscribe to such beastly and animilistic norms.

Why is it wrong/immoral? Well, it's apparent: in my perception of the world, sheltered and naive as it be, there's such a thing as love, and you cheapen it, as well as one of its most intimate expressions, sexuality, by making the latter a common, dirty and meaninfless thing, you ultimately cheapen yourself. I miss the days when coyness and chastity were virtues, and were loved ones would preserve themselves for each other, instead of corrupting themselves with the sin.

Just "having fun" invariably leads to people becoming people I don't like, I have seen it often. They start viewing people no longer as persons, but merely as sexual objects and have no sense of responsibility or attachment left.

Well, logical reasons, Kraszu? That's difficult for me. It's just how I feel, you see? It's just my sense of morality. But if you wanted a logical chain then maybe...

IF you have fun THEN you lower the value physical expressions holds [that value having been reached a sense of rarity, specialness and exclusiveness]. IF you lower the value of physical expression of love THEN you cheapen your partner thus that you can no longer give him this form of appreciation, at least not in the quality that it would have hold had you not lowered the value of it.

Of course if you and your partner are immoral beasts that think sex should be meaningless and "just having fun" is okay, fine. You can be beasts, wild animals if you like. I, myself, cherish being a human, and more than an ape who just looks for the next hole to fill.

Why do you even care? You could care less what people think about you, least of all me. We'll all reap what we sow, one way or another.

Balor

Arcane
Erm, you ARE stupid. You simply cannot avoid it. And it's NOT in the crypt.

Direwolf

Arcane
It is in the one of the two houses on the road leading to the cave, which is bottom middle. The house is guarded by 2 thugs, so you'll see it.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
I miss the days when coyness and chastity were virtues, and were loved ones would preserve themselves for each other, instead of corrupting themselves with the sin.

You mean the days of Adam and Eve? I thought about ripping you a new one. But you're a self admitted furry that hardly ever leaves his house and who by judging that icq prank is rather naive. Basing on your posts you're obviously living in a world that is very far away from what most of us would call reality. Lets just keep at it that my opinion is that our sexuality is as much a part of our humanity as everything else.

Can I ask you one honest question? Do you feel that your live is worthwhile?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom