Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 1 Thread

Saxon1974

Prophet
RK47 said:
they're locked forever. sometimes there's a key nearby, but otherwise don't expect a stealth approach to this game. It's basically sword and sorcery with bribes and intimidations in between.

Too bad, I guess I can live with it though. I never found any keys to any of the lock doors I saw.

Liking the game alot so far, and I think the English Dialog is actually pretty good. Although I am fond of english accents in RPG's....for some reason American accents just dont sound right to me.

Only complaints are that you can go into someone's house and steal everything there and they don't care. Shouldn't they at least get mad or something? Don't like the lack of lockpicking either.

The combat is not that great either, although I am a fan of turn-based and don't like real time much.

But still a very good game so far, good job devs.

caliban

Scholar
Shouldn't they at least get mad or
something?

Riiight...

A professional killer with a nasty scar on his face and a big, mean-looking sword on his back comes into your household and steals your ale and cheese. What do you do?

a - attack! (a'la Oblivion/Morrowind/etc.)
b - call the guards/militia (yeah... like they give a shit about some peasant's possesions...)
c - whistle and look away

Anyway, the looting doesn't bother me - all the stuff you can find is relatively minor (like, beer, bread, 2 coins, flint etc.), there aren't any gems/magic items/hundreds of coins laying around unattended NWN-style.

I'm not quite sure if there are any consequences for slaughtering random NPCs at night. I've heard you can get a price on your head for that - true or false?

dragonfk

Erudite
caliban said:
something?

Riiight...

A professional killer with a nasty scar on his face and a big, mean-looking sword on his back comes into your household and steals your ale and cheese. What do you do?

b - call the guards/militia (yeah... like they give a shit about some peasant's possesions...)

C'mon, you think that in reality they wouldnt say anything? Its unnatural. I dont mean that they should attack player, but they should tell him something and maybe after harsh response from the witcher they would withdrawn their objections.

indigo

Novice
250km south from The Witcher's creators office
All right, so Ive run through all 31 pages and tried to summarize your (and my) patch suggestions.

Only included those problems that are "patchable". Lockpicking, swimming, silly invisible barriers, acrobatics, quest logic etc. are design and engine problems and no one should expect patch for them (although CDPR should consider those when working on their next title).

So here are our demands so far, summarized:

(improvements)
- faster loading/saving
- bigger/unlimited inventory
- inventory auto-sort option
- improved item stacking (maybe allow all item types to be stacked?)
- highlight of recently received items
- toggle-able autosaves ("Autosave on/off" option) (since saving is very time consuming)
- kicking out from dialogue screen (Geralt saying Farewell) so one have to initiate dialouge with particular character again
- sometimes when fighting enemies, friendly people come to Geralt's side but one can accidentally harm them and they turn "red" - some improvement here would be nice
- too many skill points - to the end of a game fights are just too easy
- Geralt not hiding sword automatically

(fixes)
- jams during fights

I also think CDPR crew should take a look here: http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=21134 and rethink what happened and what can be done about it now - Yes! it is a problem! It appears that english speaking gamers lose part of TW expierience because of that!

edit: hope you're still here yarpen, if so plz pass those suggestions - thank you ver much!

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
indigo said:
So here are our demands so far, summarized:

- bigger/unlimited inventory
- inventory auto-sort option
!

This demands are on the level of Oblivion fanboys.

indigo

Novice
250km south from The Witcher's creators office
Hamster said:

Yes, that is beacuse Iam Oblivion fanatic with a mission to make every game more like IT - satisfied? ... :roll:

Seriously: the thing with bigger/unlimited inventory is that in current state of loading performance it can be VERY frustrating to run back and forth to inn to pick some stuff. And about auto-sort - I cannot see whats wrong with that as long it is an option - a "Sort" button in inventory. If you find organizing tiny items a truly rpg challenge go and clean your room - its a quest im giving you - go! now! :cool:

edit: Does Gothic have limited inventory? No. Does Gothic sort inventory? Yes. Dare to compare Gothic to Oblivion and I kill you, then eat you, then shit you and then eat you again :evil:

dragonfk

Erudite
indigo said:
Hamster said:

Yes, that is beacuse Iam Oblivion fanatic with a mission to make every game more like IT - satisfied? ... :roll:

At first read I was astonished. In a split of seconds I visualised all the torments, all the pain you were to suffer. Ow God free bashing contest and then... and then you ruined it all.

Saxon1974

Prophet
dragonfk said:
caliban said:
something?

Riiight...

C'mon, you think that in reality they wouldnt say anything? Its unnatural. I dont mean that they should attack player, but they should tell him something and maybe after harsh response from the witcher they would withdrawn their objections.

Agree, no way that you could walk into many people's houses and steal there stuff with no reaction at all. Maybe they could mutter something like "Im going to go to the guards if you dont put that back", then give you the option to threaten. The same thing happens in houses with 2 or 3 thugs....you really think they wouldn't say anything?? It's not a deal breaker but just seems a bit silly.

caliban

Scholar
Saxon1974 said:
dragonfk said:
caliban said:
something?

Riiight...

Agree, no way that you could walk into many people's houses and steal there stuff with no reaction at all. Maybe they could mutter something like "Im going to go to the guards if you dont put that back", then give you the option to threaten. The same thing happens in houses with 2 or 3 thugs....you really think they wouldn't say anything?? It's not a deal breaker but just seems a bit silly.
Yeah, I know, I was just making a strawman there ;)

I agree the NPCs should at least comment the fact that someone is ransacking their house. Still, it doesn't bother me all that much, really.

Darkflame

Scholar
The Walkin' Dude said:
Did any of you NOT help Abigail? I thought it was pretty clear that the villagers are dirty bastards.

If you read the journal entry for the beast, and then listen to what the NPCs (I think it was Odo) say about the beast staring in Abigail's window, etc, that whole decision becomes less clear. Sure the villagers are dirtbags, but so is Abigail.

Mayday

Augur
I'm getting graphical artifacts, even though my card isn't overclocked and the game runs smoothy.

What

The

Fuck

Darkflame

Scholar
Mayday said:
I'm getting graphical artifacts, even though my card isn't overclocked and the game runs smoothy.

What

The

Fuck

Nvidia? I had it during the intro, had to tone graphics down to medium.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Artifacts are almost always a result of overheating. Turn off your PC and clean out all the dust bunnies. If problem persists, take off the heatsin/fan from your GPU and CPU and clean everything properly, and apply new thermal paste to your CPU.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
A simple way to make looting of houses more believable is probably integrating the boxing mini-game into the houses. So people who wanted to 'loot' around will be forced to deal with a minor annoyance. And let them gang up on you while in boxing mode. 1 v 1 is just too easy.

AZ

Liturgist
What's are the real system requirements?
I have a notebook whit core duo 1600hz, 1gb ram and an intel mobile 945 124mb gf card. Is it hopeless?

Marsal

Arcane
AZ said:
I have a notebook whit core duo 1600hz, 1gb ram and an intel mobile 945 124mb gf card. Is it hopeless?
Yes. No point in even trying.

Rulion

Liturgist
AZ said:
Completely hopeless. No sarcasm, it's just not meant to play the game.

roshan

Arcane
Gamespot said:
Could have done a better job introducing the new combat mechanics

What the hell? Deducting points for this? Couldnt the retard have just figured out the combat for himself?

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
roshan said:
Gamespot said:
Could have done a better job introducing the new combat mechanics

What the hell? Deducting points for this? Couldnt the retard have just figured out the combat for himself?

It's strange, because they actually praise the combat to an extent in the review.

Mayday

Augur
OK, removing the dust from the radiator actually helped with the artifacts. Thanks, guys!

KazikluBey

Cipher
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Factual error about the combat/difficulty setting. The Gamespot reviewer says that your mouse cursor doesn't light up in the medium difficulty and suggests people start playing on easy to get the hang of combat because of it.

dragonfk

Erudite
It just killed me...

IGN Hellgate London review said:
Sadly, there's far too much action and not nearly enough story in Hellgate. Most of the time players are simply wandering from level to level killing anything that moves with no more understanding of what's going on than the simple one-line quest instructions provide.

I definitely love the whole dynamic of collecting loot and leveling up my character's stats and tinkering with my items to see just how much of a badass I could become, at the end of the day Hellgate is an RPG game in an action format, not the other way around.

So definition of RPGs according to IGN is to have plenty of loot and plenty of fucking stats for your fictional alter ego...

Story? Changing the world by your decisions? Artistical level design? Seems they are outdated qualities. And because of this The Witcher is the one who is named Action-RPG and Hellgate London is a RPG. N/C.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Alchemy change please!
Whenever you extract an ingredient from monster, it should be automatically be broken down into their base elements like Aether, etc.

I seriously think part of the inventory clutter is caused by these 'same function, different name' alchemical components that just keeps being dropped. Change the loot tables, and make the monster parts only drop for quest. This should solve a lot of inventory management problems.

Texas Red

Whiner
RK47 said:
Alchemy change please!
Whenever you extract an ingredient from monster, it should be automatically be broken down into their base elements like Aether, etc.

I seriously think part of the inventory clutter is caused by these 'same function, different name' alchemical components that just keeps being dropped. Change the loot tables, and make the monster parts only drop for quest. This should solve a lot of inventory management problems.

That takes away... something. During meditation you should be able to extract ingredients from your stuff but before that they should remain intact. Right now its really hard to follow what you have and what you need.

It is also really difficult to loot when there are a bunch of corpses around. I noticed that sometimes clicking on some remains will make Geralt go to the other side and start looting from a completely different place. I assume its because of body parts. It would also be a LOT easier if you could click on the "Remains" sign instead on the actual remains.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom