Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 1 Thread

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Whenever you extract an ingredient from monster, it should be automatically be broken down into their base elements like Aether, etc.

It is also really difficult to loot when there are a bunch of corpses around. I noticed that sometimes clicking on some remains will make Geralt go to the other side and start looting from a completely different place. I assume its because of body parts. It would also be a LOT easier if you could click on the "Remains" sign instead on the actual remains.

Nah, these suggestions would really take away from the feeling of the game. It's an rpg, not a diablo or hellgate clone.

Texas Red

Whiner
It wont take the feeling away from anything. Looting is just hard, especially when the bodies start disappearing or turning in to that pile of bones which is difficult to see.

Solaris

Scholar
I don't agree about the ingedients being broken down or sorted automatically. It seems more realistic there are the same properties in different items. As for the inventory, surely the innkeepers storage is enough?.....with your backpack and storage there is tons of slots imo, unless you're a fucking squirrel (hoarder). Since I meditate from an inn most times its just a case of grabbing the appropriate ingredients first that I need for potion making.

As the person a couple of posts above says, its more 'rpg'' this way.

KazikluBey

Cipher
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
RK47 said:
Alchemy change please!
Whenever you extract an ingredient from monster, it should be automatically be broken down into their base elements like Aether, etc.
How would that help? Many ingredients contain two elements and give produced potions bonus effects if all ingredients contain a certain secondary component, so that would require dumbing down the alchemy system.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
KazikluBey said:
Factual error about the combat/difficulty setting. The Gamespot reviewer says that your mouse cursor doesn't light up in the medium difficulty and suggests people start playing on easy to get the hang of combat because of it.

The manual contains the same error. They probably just didn't play on medium.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
KazikluBey said:
Not my manual...

The printed manual is incorrect in that it says the flaming sword is only available in easy. The PDF manual is correct in saying that it is available in medium as well.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Have it break down to that specified Special property then? I frankly feel the cluttering caused is a simple case of 'too much loot variety'

Just look a the food! Gosh, there's like dozens of them and they're nearly useless in this game.

What I'm asking is a simple fix: Make Alchemy less tedious to manage in the inventory, the current solution to the problem is by being a non-sticky finger. Basically don't loot what you don't need. I am on my second playthrough and I really don't feel like doing alchemy anymore because of the hassles involved. I just make sure I have the ones I need and don't bother with other recipes.

Deleted member 7219

The Gamespot reviewer is a shameful liar, then. I am playing on medium difficulty and the flaming sword appears. First a red, then a yellow.

Balor

Arcane
Playing it on hard, don't have any probs pulling out combos.
I think that 'flaming sword' actually distracts from the game - relying on hearing 'swish'instead of watching the cursor leaves more room to see what your character is actually doing.

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
The combo came quite easy to me on hard. First I paid attention to when he leaves a yellow trail and after act1 I don't need to look anymore, it comes naturally. Act 2 is pretty cool, lots of talking. Although that fight with Hamrammeat Whateverhisnameis was a bit ridiculous, getting swarmed by a horde of thugs from nowhere (and they all die from one or two hits).

KazikluBey

Cipher
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Jaime Lannister said:
The printed manual is incorrect in that it says the flaming sword is only available in easy. The PDF manual is correct in saying that it is available in medium as well.
As I said, not in my (printed) manual. The difficulty modes section of the manual does say "Attack sequences are not assisted" (Quite hazy, no?) for medium, but 6.2.2 Sequences paragraph makes it very clear that the flaming cursor is available in both easy and medium modes.

RK47 said:
What I'm asking is a simple fix: Make Alchemy less tedious to manage in the inventory, the current solution to the problem is by being a non-sticky finger. Basically don't loot what you don't need. I am on my second playthrough and I really don't feel like doing alchemy anymore because of the hassles involved. I just make sure I have the ones I need and don't bother with other recipes.
What is wrong about making you consider what you pick up, about making you think: "Do I actually need this, should I take the ring to sell for money or the ingredient for potions?"? I have no trouble managing my inventory. I dump everything I don't need with the innkeeper and when I need to make potions I just take what I need to make them. Some sort of auto-sort, at least for the innkeeper and preferably sortable by alchemy element types as well, is the only thing I really miss or wish they did differently.

Texas Red

Whiner
Ok, the finishing moves still concern me. As I said before in the tutorial Geralt made several of them but after that, none. During combat Ive seen my enemies stop for awhile and act as though theyre dizzy or in pain(effects of stun and pain perhaps), but Geralt continues to attack them just as usual.

Kingston said:
The combo came quite easy to me on hard. First I paid attention to when he leaves a yellow trail and after act1 I don't need to look anymore, it comes naturally. Act 2 is pretty cool, lots of talking. Although that fight with Hamrammeat Whateverhisnameis was a bit ridiculous, getting swarmed by a horde of thugs from nowhere (and they all die from one or two hits).

I believe they came from downstairts.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
The Walkin' Dude said:
Ok, the finishing moves still concern me. As I said before in the tutorial Geralt made several of them but after that, none. During combat Ive seen my enemies stop for awhile and act as though theyre dizzy or in pain(effects of stun and pain perhaps), but Geralt continues to attack them just as usual.
I think you must use Aard sign to make finishing moves outside tutorial.

suleo

Scholar
Kingston said:

Invest on the group style and double-tap "w" when you're surrounded. Works very well.

Of course, on hard, the swallow potion is a must, especially on early chapters. I always have 10 of those around and enough ingredients to make more.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I'm pleasantly surprised. I had fears the game would barely run on my 6600GT card. But, after I turned AA down to 2x and turned off the blur effect, the game looks fabulously and runs flawlessly with EVERYTHING (view distance, details etc) maxed out! Fantastic.

(With 3 GBs of RAM.)

Direwolf

Arcane
The only other thing that pissed me off in the game, other than memory leaks and loading times, is when in Act 4 you complete the quest where you scare away the Wild Hunt and you can pick a hut as a reward.
NPC that gives the quest claims, that you can use it to store items and rest, but there is no storage container and you cannot meditate in there. That's so stupid, that you can walk outside into the fields crawling with monsters and beasts and rest by the fire, but you can't rest in your own fucking house.

indigo

Novice
250km south from The Witcher's creators office
BUG: When you give amulet to Yaren Bolt on swamps he gives you some money in return. On screen it is shown you received 400, but actually when you check inventory there is only 200. (According to manual he's gonna pay you 200 not 400 only if you deceived him before)

Have you noticed that sun/moon are not where they should be in this game? This is especially noticeable in sunset - bright vivid lighting but no sun on sky, so where all those light is coming from?. Also Geralt's/NPC's shadows dont match with sun/moon position. Its not ruining experience just looks somewhat unnatural.

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
My favourite execution animation so far is the one where after knocking down the opponent, Geralt impales the guy's leg, locking him to the ground, and proceeds to jump on his body and bloodily stab his face with the knife. Only had it once though. Damn awesome.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Matt7895 said:
The Gamespot reviewer is a shameful liar, then. I am playing on medium difficulty and the flaming sword appears. First a red, then a yellow.
before the patch i had no flaming sword during the whole prologue on medium, so it doesn't have to be a lie. haven't played on medium since, though.

made

Arcane
caliban said:
Saxon1974 said:
dragonfk said:
caliban said:
Shouldn't they at least get mad or
something?

Riiight...

A professional killer with a nasty scar on his face and a big, mean-looking sword on his back comes into your household and steals your ale and cheese. What do you do?

a - attack! (a'la Oblivion/Morrowind/etc.)
b - call the guards/militia (yeah... like they give a shit about some peasant's possesions...)
c - whistle and look away

C'mon, you think that in reality they wouldnt say anything? Its unnatural. I dont mean that they should attack player, but they should tell him something and maybe after harsh response from the witcher they would withdrawn their objections.

Agree, no way that you could walk into many people's houses and steal there stuff with no reaction at all. Maybe they could mutter something like "Im going to go to the guards if you dont put that back", then give you the option to threaten. The same thing happens in houses with 2 or 3 thugs....you really think they wouldn't say anything?? It's not a deal breaker but just seems a bit silly.
Yeah, I know, I was just making a strawman there ;)

I agree the NPCs should at least comment the fact that someone is ransacking their house. Still, it doesn't bother me all that much, really.

Actually, I do seem to remember hearing one of the thugs say "Who does he think he is?" or something to that effect when looking around his house. Although I'm not sure if that was just a random line or in response to looting a cupboard. That was in the Polish version, by the way.

Anyway, it doesn't bother me either way, since as someone already said, the stuff you get from plundering village dwellings is trivial; no +3 swords hidden in the kitchen or anything worth making a fuss over.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
hm, i just killed a couple of city guards for fun, when you do that, an invincible headhunter is sent after you, against whom no sword attacks work, and who always interrupts your signs. kinda stupid mechanic, considering how guards in temple district are blue and therefore can be harmed accidentally.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom