Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 1 Thread

dagorkan

Arbiter
Lyric Suite said:
bozia2012 said:
1. People=animals.

Does that make us all furries now? HOGODPERISHTHETHOUGHT!!1

Jasede said:
There's so much beauty in the world

Nonsense. There is no beauty in the world, life is an ugly beast, we are teh animalz, darkness, crawling in my skin, why am i alone, WHY? :emo:

Don't fret too much over this. People who like Gerard are the same faggots who think Deadwood is a masterpiece of cinematographic realism. Bored, overpriviliged, overfed and overprotected pimple faced pseudo-nihilists blathering about 'reality' while playing a computer game in the safety and swollen luxury of a fading civilization of which they know absolutely nothing about. :spat:
LOL

You know what, I was undecided but the reaction on this forum to the game has made me almost certain of not buying it. All the talk of how 'gritty' and radical and the "OMG Geralt is so Funny!" posts, and fanboy brown nosing of the dev posting here are confirming my suspicions.

I really doubt this is the long-awaited successor to Troika, I think it's you guys getting desperate you'll take any click-gaming, twitchy action game based on a retarded Polish Drizzt-do-Urden wannabe so you can have something to talk about and justify your presence on these forums.

I've seen the videos and the reviews. The dialog is cringe-worthy, the jokes are stupid, the mini-game gimmicks are moronic... your actions are not based on skills (you only have combat/alchemy skills). But wow, it has C&C! OK, maybe it's better than Oblivion, comparable to Gothic (not exactly a great RPG either despite it's praise here), but calling it the game of the year and CDP the successor to Troika?

dagorkan

Arbiter
I'm saying this game seems pretty shitty judging by what its fans have to say about it.

spacemoose

Erudite
some real C&C's enough for my money. everything else is a bonus.

sheek is a girl.

it occurred to me just now, that the "SEXUAL ENCOUNTER" cards would make an excellent xbox achievement type thing.

bluecuracao

Novice
Lyric Suite said:
Bored, overpriviliged, overfed and overprotected pimple faced pseudo-nihilists blathering about 'reality' while playing a computer game in the safety and swollen luxury of a fading civilization of which they know absolutely nothing about. :spat:

fading civilization? I think you overdid it a bit here.. civilization is currently at it's peak in most western countries and still rising. We have overcome slavery and mass murder, established democracy, human rights and environmental protection. We're even getting rid off nationalism right now (at least here in europe), one of the major reasons why so many wars were started in the past. The overall worldwide trend is clearly up and not down.

Nutcracker

Scholar
I agree, although i look forward to watcing Lyric Suite or Higher Game bend him over and give him the treatment.

dagorkan

Arbiter
I think he's partly right. The world is obviously a better place materially than ever. Globally more people live longer, more people can read, people have better diets (except in the West for other reasons), child mortality keeps dropping everywhere year by year, etc.

My question is whether that can last or if we're at the 'peak', still making progress (but ever more slowly every year) based on things that happened / started / were done fifty years ago? My view is that the 'West' has been declining 'spiritually' (not necessarily in a religious sense, but in drive, energy, self-belief potential) for fifty years while getting materially better off based on the fifty years before that - and that we will not be able to support the life-style / standards / environment we want (or we will not want them, same thing) in another fifty years unless things change now.

Other regions of the world are the same but a little behind us, Asia and most of South America twenty years behind, Africa maybe fifty.

Where I disagree with LS I think is that I don't believe there is some natural process of good / order / progress turning to chaos / decadence / decline or that democracy is to blame (correct me if I'm wrong). I think there are cycles but they are changable, and based on the actions and choices and mentalities of the people living in that era. Also I think democracy (but not liberalism, which is different) is progress and that feudalism LS seems to believe in is evil - in fact I think the 'decline' of civilization is resulting in a return to feudalism via liberalism (bread and circuses, Rome succeeding Greece etc), but anyway.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Here's the negative stuff that can be improved about the Witcher.

Trivialization of combat.
There's a certain point where some mobs just cease to become a threat to you, and fighting them just involves slicing them twice or less. You still get exp and loot, but it'll be nice if monsters actually FLEE when they see a really strong witcher that has butchered 20-30 (I'm not exaggerating) of their kind, the night before in the swamps.

Language
Sometimes Geralt just spoke too much / too little especially on my screenshot of 'Plot'. Minor translation oddity aside, I'm quite satisfied.

Loot, loot everything.
This bugs me a bit, I'm not sure why CD Projekt took the NWN 1 path of 'every location and every house contains a container that contains something and you are welcome to loot it'.

Inventory management
caused by the above. It'd be best if they highlight recently recieved items such as quest reward, so I can avoid 1-2 min of mouse-overs to find it. Doing backpack feng-shui is a little tedious. Good thing they didn't do Diablo style storage (the innkeeper storage is enough for almost every crap you pick up)

Aside from above, I find nothing really 'bad' about that game. DDR-combat system may not appeal to everyone, but this can be alleviated by lowering the difficulty, the story's there, the setting does not bore, and it's got length (I'm 20 hours in and still not finished with Chapter 2) so I doubt the makers are exaggerating on their '50 hours of gameplay'

Load time is an issue on lower specs, defragmenting my harddisk takes it to less than an minute to load anything. Most small places take 2-3 sec, huge towns and forests at most 20-30 sec. The only problem I felt is the lack of toggle-able autosaves, that can be patched in the future.

Is it enough to call it a 'game to replace Troika'?
No. Frankly, it is nothing like Troika games. Arcanum, TOEE are all unique on their own and so is the Witcher.

It's a breath of fresh air to see a setting that doesn't revolve around good vs evil. We've been waiting for this sort of 'choices and consequences that mattered' for months, why shouldn't we be happy?

dagorkan

Arbiter
Personally I don't think "Good vs evil" is the problem with RPGs or that taking away good or evil options and replacing them with all 'morally grey' options is particularly radical or interesting. I think the problem with RPGs is lack of true choices in how your character reacts. Since in this game you are forced to play a cynically retarded Drizzt look-alike you aren't being given a choice. You have to listen to the faggot either make his dumb jokes or let an old woman ride over you, you have to threaten to cut off the bandit leader's cock and shove it down his throat or apologize and accept to do his quest. I don't see how that's much better than the classic D&D/Bioware "Good vs evil" stuff. I am pretty sure the character development at most will just give you a choice between solving quest the 'fast attack' way or the 'group attack' way. Tell me if I'm wrong.

I don't see that as particularly amazing, revolutionizing or redefining what we call RPGs.

RK47

Patron
Hey it's your 50 bucks ;)
On my final defense of this game, I'm afraid I'm simply tired of NWN 2 'party' combat that I find this new 1 v 1 style more involving than NWN 2 'buff, kick ass' routine, I was happy with MOTB but the combat made me tired.

For the other options other than fast/slow attack to solve quests? There is. In one quest, Geralt tails a guard captain to a warehouse. You can play along when he said you were his back up (he didn't ask you along) or call his bluff. Etc. I'm sure there would be a huge difference between the two (FYI, I took the former, and the captain said he was acting 'undercover' and told me to clean up)

dagorkan

Arbiter
RK47 said:
For the other options other than fast/slow attack to solve quests? There is. In one quest, Geralt tails a guard captain to a warehouse. You can play along when he said you were his back up (he didn't ask you along) or call his bluff. Etc. I'm sure there would be a huge difference between the two (FYI, I took the former, and the captain said he was acting 'undercover' and told me to clean up)
Yeah but does it use stats? That's what I was asking.

Having choices doesn't make something an RPG. I play Civ 3 and I decide whether I want a Monarchy or a Republic. I can also choose whether to build my empire in the mountains or by the sea. Botht influence my game in a major way in the long term but I'm not roleplaying.

bluecuracao

Novice
Spacemoose said:
bluecuracao you're about to get your ass handed to you. get out while you can

what? why should i? There have been thousands of "doom prophets" in the last 4000 years and they all have been proven wrong by history. civilization always came out stronger than before and steadily advanced. They like to spew out a lot of foxy sounding words but that's about it. there is zero evidence to support that "civilization is fading". i already gave you several examples that prove the opposite. And you can't really argue about this because it's just a load of bullshit by people who think they're smart.

cardtrick

Arbiter
dagorkan said:
RK47 said:
Yeah but does it use stats? That's what I was asking.

Having choices doesn't make something an RPG. I play Civ 3 and I decide whether I want a Monarchy or a Republic. I can also choose whether to build my empire in the mountains or by the sea. Botht influence my game in a major way in the long term but I'm not roleplaying.

Depending on whether you consider entries in the journal to be "stats" or not, The Witcher can be thought of as having stat-based dialog . . . but it's kind of a stretch. A lot of what happens in the game depends on what your character knows (which is reflected in journal updates everytime you learn something about anything, whether from conversation, exploration, or reading).

Anyway, I love The Witcher but it definitely isn't for everybody. I'm surprised you're the first person to post negatively about it here . . . not having stat-based dialog is a pretty reasonable complaint, as is not being able to adjust your character's personality.

dagorkan

Arbiter
There's also the click-based combat. Mouse clicking is an exceptionally shitty way to do combat, especially if it's RT (with no time compression slider), single player, and isometric. I might have bought the game despite the other complaints if combat was different or if there wasn't much of it.

Texas Red

Whiner
I like how some Codexers think. Youve got NWN 2, MotB and TW and they dont even bother torrenting them, going "I dunno mang. Some dude on the other forum said that somebody from Gamespot thought that Halo was better"

At least *try* them out for Gods sake. Like Jasede who refused to play NWN 2 because Volourn and VD had a few bad words about it, its not better than the anime/FPS crowds who only buy games if their score is at least a 9.

EDIT: The combat, in its simplicity, is fun and pleasing to the eye. And no, there is not much of it. The larger part of the game is compromised of leg work and talking. I like the combat in TW but hate it in Diablo clones.

RK47

Patron
dagorkan said:
There's also the click-based combat. Mouse clicking is an exceptionally shitty way to do combat, especially if it's RT (with no time compression slider), single player, and isometric. I might have bought the game despite the other complaints if combat was different or if there wasn't much of it.

there is a way to slow it down. it's called Blizzard potion.

dagorkan

Arbiter
Except I don't pretend to only be interested in RPGs, hating all other genres and not having any non-video game hobbies. I can deal with not playing a new RPG every year when I can replay old ones, get mods and spend my money on much better games from other genres than what's on offer under the 'AR-PEE-GEE' marketting label.

For your info I'm currently playing IL-2, that and the joystick for it put me back ~$100, but I'll probably get MotB eventually (have NWN2, didn't like the OC).

there is a way to slow it down. it's called Blizzard potion.
I shouldn't be forced to use an (I assume) rare or expensive potion just to deal with the inherent shittiness of combat design.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
For fucks sake, the fact that there has been rpg drought these last couple of years may throw you off from the sudden praise and the "halleluja, the good times are back again" general thought of mind.

But this doesn't change the fact that The Witcher is a fucking good game. If it had sucked, people would have said so. It doesn't, so shut the fuck up and/or play the game.

spacemoose

Erudite
bluecuracao said:
civilization always came out stronger than before and steadily advanced. They like to spew out a lot of foxy sounding words but that's about it. there is zero evidence to support that "civilization is fading".
well its WESTERN civilization, and western civilizaion is fading (or changing into something very different), because it has lost the conviction that it itself is good, hooray for liberalism/relativism! that's it in a nutshell. I'll leave it to lyric suite and others to expound on this further

And you can't really argue about this because it's just a load of bullshit by people who think they're smart.
oh ok

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Volrath said:
For fucks sake, the fact that there has been rpg drought these last couple of years may throw you off from the sudden praise and the "halleluja, the good times are back again" general thought of mind.

But this doesn't change the fact that The Witcher is a fucking good game. If it had sucked, people would have said so. It doesn't, so shut the fuck up and/or play the game.

100% agreed.

How many people bitched about Diablo not having dialouge trees? None.
Bithcing about would be-should be features that are present in some other games as a deciding factor on buying the game is fucking retatded.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Sheek is showing us again what an utter idiot he is. Like I said to LS, play the game first, then tell us if and how it sucks. So far everybody that has played it likes it, maybe that's a clue? It ain't the second coming, but it's a fun action rpg.

Well, I've had my fill with all the DRAMA here. Back to work!

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Except I don't pretend to only be interested in RPGs, hating all other genres and not having any non-video game hobbies. I can deal with not playing a new RPG every year when I can replay old ones, get mods and spend my money on much better games from other genres than what's on offer under the 'AR-PEE-GEE' marketting label.

For your info I'm currently playing IL-2, that and the joystick for it put me back ~$100, but I'll probably get MotB eventually (have NWN2, didn't like the OC).

Look, stop being an idiot. On the one hand you're saying that you're not narrowly focused on RPGs, on the other hand you keep saying how TW is a shitty game because of its lack of RPG elements.

You're right, its not a fully-fledged RPG like Fallout or Arcanum. Its not any replacement for the past goodness of these games. I absolutly think that on the "true RPG" front MotB is the clear winner here. (Yet we have enough hypocrites here at the codex who won't buy MotB because *whine* NWN 2 sucked...)

Its an Action-RPG in the sense that its character system limits itself to combat abilities in the broader meening of the term and having a twitchy combat system. Despite being clearly an A-Rpg in this regard, its very dialogue and story heavy, it has a rich and detailed world and interesting quests which surpass some of the stuff we know from "traditional" RPGs. It has the C&C feature thrown in, although Ive already stated that it is a bit too gimmicky and "cinematic" for my tastes. It offers alternative quest solutions to a reasonable extent.
It has a coherent dark, rather low-fantasy world, which is a nice change compared to Disneyland games like Oblivion or D&D cliche overkills like NWN 2.
In the polish version, dialogues (and VOs) are ok, nothing special, nothing terrible. I can't comment on the english version, but translating from slavic languages to english is much more difficult than lets say from german to english.I haven't heard "your mother sucks dwarven cook" in the polish version for example. Instead, they some something like "Your mother does it with dwarves" in a pretty harmless way. Just one example how the english version is propably sillifieng the game a bit.
They apperantly screwed up at times, but judgind from other posters its not as bad as one could thing having seen those videos.

Its appearently good enough for a shitload of people to have a blast with it, including such trustworthy posters like Trash, who is a better poster than you could ever hope to be (no attack, im just stating facts. You on the other and are contributing much more good stuff to this forum than me for example).

Of course you're perfectly right not to like the game because all those flaws you mentioned, like the combat system or the lack of stats affecting your non-combat behaviour. Fine.
But don't tell people they are idiots for liking a game or that they only pretend to like it because theyre starved for RPGs.
The codex was starved for RPGs before NWN 2 was released, and the game was smacked the majority of users.
Like it or not, the Witcher is a very good, fun game. If you want to call it so, its Oblivion done right. (Because Oblivion was a terrible game, not just a terrible RPG). Its easily better than the first two Gothics, better executed than the 3rd Gothic but less ambitious in its goals.

Its a very good game on its own, and to a lot of people here its propably better than what they can find in other genres right now. To be honest, I don't see how RPGs are supposed to be the only genre which suffers from trivialization and dumbing down. There's a general lack of good games these days, the Witcher is one. Full stop.

Yes, IL-2 is nice, I have played it to death a long time ago. I don't want to play it again. I don't see any other interesting games I haven't played to death right now That's why I am playing TW and I'm having great fun with it.

Ausir

Arcane
I really doubt this is the long-awaited successor to Troika, I think it's you guys getting desperate you'll take any click-gaming, twitchy action game based on a retarded Polish Drizzt-do-Urden wannabe so you can have something to talk about and justify your presence on these forums.

You do realize that Geralt was created years before Drizzt?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom