Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

The Witcher 3 GOTY Edition

Discussion in 'CD Projekt Red' started by Infinitron, Jul 6, 2016.

1. AwesomeButton Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle Patron

AwesomeButton
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I would try W3EE but make combat less deadly through adjusting the damage multiplier sliders in the mod's options. They are customizeable ingame.

I spent like 50 hours trying to play W3EE but I found that combat was very much not meant to be played in the one/two-hit kills mode, and there are occasionally bugs which may block your progress if you are not careful with saving your games.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2021
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Tyrr Savant

Tyrr
    The Witcher 3 - Black Edition

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Shackleton Arcane Patron

Shackleton
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Personally I got quite far into it with 'W3: Ghost mode' mod and found it pretty good. Just didn't have the energy to play through the whole thing again.

• Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  4. PorkyThePaladin Arcane

PorkyThePaladin
    https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/witcher-3-alternative-modding-guide.132572/

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Old Hans Arcane

Old Hans
    I just played through the Surge 2 and realized that was the kind of combat Witcher 3 originally wanted, where you target body parts, but since they suck ass at making interesting systems they settled for the most basic boring combat every created in the history of mankind

^ Top  
  6. RNGsus Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    Do you recommend Surge 2 then?

• Yes Yes x 4
    ^ Top  
  7. Wunderbar Arcane

Wunderbar
    don't expect it to be like Witcher 3 though, it's one of those souls-like action-adventures.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Haplo Prophet Patron

Haplo
    Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Yes, although I liked the general ambiance of Surge 1 more. Surge 2 has more polished systems, though.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. gurugeorge Arcane Patron

gurugeorge
    Strap Yourselves In
    God help me, I'm contemplating another playthrough (I'm in a graphics whore mood).

When I played this I quite enjoyed Ghost Mode as a main tweaks mod, but I notice that hasn't been updated since the end of 2020. However, Lore Friendly Tweaks seems to be up to the minute. Anybody got any experience with that? (W3EE was never my cup of tea, too idiosyncratic a vision.)

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Cheers!! Cheers!! x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Semiurge Cipher

Semiurge
    Completed "Lynch Mob", having feelings of shame. The things we do for 20 pieces of silver experience. The writers should've made it an option to just watch the Nilfgaardian deserter hang and earn the EXP the same.

• Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Kem0sabe Arcane

Kem0sabe

• popamole popamole x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. onemananadhisdroid Augur

onemananadhisdroid
    Alternatively, you could just grab your popcorn and watch the hours of cutscenes on Youtube at the core of the gig (whilst skipping on the rest of the experience witcher sensing itself anyway).

• Edgy Edgy x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. TheHeroOfTime Arcane

TheHeroOfTime
    Cool little changes that the game has if you do things in a different order.

If only the game would have encouraged this type of things more instead of gatekeeping the process with autolevel and the red skulls system...

^ Top  
  14. Danikas Arcane

Danikas
    That's why Im playing with Witcher 3 enhanced edition mod with it you can go straight to Skellige or start hearts of stone right after finishing the tutorial it's really fun doing stuff in different order and the game narrative was designed with this in mind but someone in the gameplay department fuck up really bad with those shitty hp and damage bonuses that high lvl enemies have so 99% of the people playing will do things in this exact order Velen>Novigrad>Skellige.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Starwars Arcane

Starwars
    Replaying this and just did the Crones part of the main quest. To me, that really is the highlight of the game. The atmosphere is just outstanding, from the music, the setting of the swamp, the design of the Crones (of course, the gameplay of fighting basically drowners and the odd water hag throughout the questline is terribly boring). And while I still wished for something more regarding the Whispering Hillock quest, it's still pretty creepy. I like that you don't really get much info on them overall, except in the She Who Knows in-game book.

It's such a shame that you actually fight and kill the crones later on. It's A) so anticlimactic and B) really robs them of their mystery and feeling of danger.

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  16. ga♥ Arcane Vatnik

ga♥
    Agreed. Also they
    Show Spoiler

become servants of the nazi elves

It really sounded like they had no clue how to close that story arc and came up with a very bad solution.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  17. Kem0sabe Arcane

Kem0sabe
    You dont kill all the crones in the first fight with them playing as Ciri, one escapes and depending on your choices, it can kill Ciri post ending.

^ Top  
  18. Starwars Arcane

Starwars
    Oh, I actually didn't remember that and didn't know about the post ending thing. Still, I think it's more the fact that you get to fight and beat them in a boss fight. And their appearance again at that point in the game feels somewhat sudden as well (especially if you do the Velen parts first and then Novigrad+Skellige).

^ Top  
  19. Kem0sabe Arcane

Kem0sabe
    Sorry i was mixing things up.

The worst ending for Geralt and Ciri, depending on your choices:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. TheHeroOfTime Arcane

TheHeroOfTime
    Considering how rushed the third act is compared to the rest of the game I don't think the resolution of the Crones is bad at all. I like the setting and the atmosphere of the sabbath. It could have benefited more from a slower pace though.

^ Top  
  21. gurugeorge Arcane Patron

gurugeorge
    Strap Yourselves In
    I thought that too, better to have left them as they were in the memory of that big conversation with them. That sequence of events in that area, from seeing the tapestry of the three crones in their youth, meeting with the blue creature, culminating in meeting the three crones in the flesh is one of the most amazing, evocative experiences in all of gaming storytelling. On first playthrough, it felt so hyper-real that one really felt one was in the presence of these disgusting, tricksy, eldritch entities. The kind of aesthetic experience of transport (to another world) that's totally unique to gaming.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Starwars Arcane

Starwars
    It's a shame regarding the pacing of the game too. For me, playing through the game for the first time, I was left very impressed with the Crones/Baron questline in Velen. But following the level recommended main quest, you go to Novigrad after and it's just not nearly as impactful or special. Not to say that some lighthearted fun with Dandelion and Zoltan can't be fun, but it just feels a lot thinner than the Velen questline. And then, I headed to Skellige last which... well, to be honest I kind of rushed through because by then it's easy to feel kind of fatigued by the game. And Skellige is a more "annoying" area as well with the islands.
    For my current playthrough, I'm trying to weave into Skellige earlier to hopefully keep it fresher. Already ran into some stuff that I just didn't experience before which is fun.

But yeah, the quality and atmosphere of the Crones stuff is just so far above the rest of the game when it comes to story. They hit upon something special there, and that special something isn't there for the rest of the game. And it kinda makes it feel like the game blows its load early on.

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    On the upside, there's still Hearts of Stone and Blood & Wine. If Witcher 3 was just the base game, I'd consider it a lot worse, but together with those it's great.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  24. gurugeorge Arcane Patron

gurugeorge
    Strap Yourselves In
    I think it's the deep folklore, sort of mythic aspect. The game is at its best when it's doing that sort of thing (like with the lore around the monsters), it's at its weakest when it's doing citified stuff, intrigue, etc. Not that that side of the game is bad exactly, it's still pretty well done, but it just doesn't have the weight of the folkloric side of the game, it doesn't tickle your hindbrain as much, make you feel a sense of wonder like the crones stuff does.

• Prestigious Prestigious x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. cretin Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Douchebag! Possibly Retarded Edgy

cretin
    W3EE is mandatory IMO. It fixes too many systems that were just slapdash and not thought out.

• No No x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.