Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 GOTY Edition

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Finished Witcher once 1-2 years ago and am on the mood for a second playthrough but i am not sure how do i want to go about it and would like to know if you guys think if the new game plus mode worth it? Should i check any mods since i played the game so far unmodded?

I can only tolerate mods regarding level scaling, loot and combat. The rest of the game is fine as it is.
I would try W3EE but make combat less deadly through adjusting the damage multiplier sliders in the mod's options. They are customizeable ingame.

I spent like 50 hours trying to play W3EE but I found that combat was very much not meant to be played in the one/two-hit kills mode, and there are occasionally bugs which may block your progress if you are not careful with saving your games.

Which values would you recommend?

AetherVagrant

Cipher
Patron
that is lacking in depth

Seriously? You are utterly retarded. Witcher 3 has some of the best attention to detail of any game ever made. It is not a combatfag crpg, it is a narrative-focused crpg, and it is the best ever made in that regard. You are completely and utterly retarded and bashing on one of the greatest games ever made just for codex brownie points. And it is pointless, as let's be honest RPGCodex's "critical consesus" for CRPGs is a joke and has been a joke for a long time and the whole internet knows it at this point, so i don't get what is the point of blatantly lying to bash one of the greatest crpgs just to fit in with the edgelords here.
Someone criticizing their legitimate complaints about a game that they also point out as one they enjoy and have spent much time from is very far from "retarded bashing" You are the one being an edgelord with shit like that.

The main story and characters are VERY underdeveloped, if you blow through the main quests you are expected to care about all these characters that you get very little on screen time with and can get to the endgame in maybe 20hrs. He's not saying the narrative or story sucks just that (like skyrim) the main quest shouldn't feel like something you could do in an afternoon. And Geralt's friends and companions should have more side quests and involvement rather that simply appearing out of the blue to help with a leg then take off for half the story.

I love the game, but didn't love that the plot was so rushed if you followed it, that the side quests rarely tied into the other characters or greater goings on.

Robotigan

Learned
Because "level 1" is an abstract concept that has no bearing on the fiction.
Sure, but you even start out killing weak mobs and doing the introductory "I've lost me fryin pan" quest. Narratively, it just doesn't make sense.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Sure, but you even start out killing weak mobs and doing the introductory "I've lost me fryin pan" quest. Narratively, it just doesn't make sense.
Sure it does. Geralt has been an exterminator for decades. No reason he should suddenly be too good to kill rats.

Robotigan

Learned
Sure it does. Geralt has been an exterminator for decades. No reason he should suddenly be too good to kill rats.
I guess I would say if you're gonna be an RPG with a level system, think about why you want to be an RPG with a level system. Like in Fallout you're a Vault dweller stepping out into the wasteland for the first time. It makes sense you would get substantially stronger and gain new skills as you adapt to the surface world. It makes no sense that a 100-year-old Witcher badass would make any meaningful improvement over the course of weeks or months. It has a level system because it's an RPG so people expect one, but taken on its own it doesn't make sense why you would tell this story with these particular game mechanics.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
BTW, is there an in-game explanation of why Geralt starts as a level 1 character in Witcher 2 and 3?
Amnesia, sort of. Geralt lost his memory and had lost some of his skills in the process.

This explains Geralt's starting level in Witcher 1, but not in its sequels.
That's easy. Post 1 and before 2 he was too busy banging Triss and prior to 3 his beard growth took up most of his time.

Arbiter

Scholar
BTW, is there an in-game explanation of why Geralt starts as a level 1 character in Witcher 2 and 3?

If we assume that level 1 in Witcher 3 actually represents, say, level 31 on Witcher 2 scale, then why is everyone else in the world at least level 31 too? Numbers can be abstract, but Geralt post Witcher 1 and 2 should be much more powerful than most entities in the world. If he is level 1 then common bandits should be level -30.

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
No, he is not. You can easily find human opponents that can kill a level 1 or post-White Orchard (likely level 3-4) Geralt.
No, they can't .. unless in your game Geralt is a time-traveling Jesus who literally resurrects himself dozens of times over the course of a playthrough. Weird how no one ever mentions it.

Zombra

Patron
No, he is not. You can easily find human opponents that can kill a level 1 or post-White Orchard (likely level 3-4) Geralt.
No, they can't .. unless in your game Geralt is a time-traveling Jesus who literally resurrects himself dozens of times over the course of a playthrough. Weird how no one ever mentions it.
Playing in ironman mode?
No. Talking about a normal playthrough with as many Load Games as you care to button press. Nothing "actually" happens in your playthrough until you save it. Since you can't save the game when Geralt is dead, in your playthrough Geralt never met anyone who was able to kill him.

Arbiter

Scholar
Playing in ironman mode?
No. Talking about a normal playthrough with as many Load Games as you care to button press. Nothing "actually" happens in your playthrough until you save it. Since you can't save the game when Geralt is dead, in your playthrough Geralt never met anyone who was able to kill him.

By that logic every game with saves is trivial. And if the game relies on RNG and save scumming is possible, you can beat it on any difficulty, even if your character is vastly inferior to enemies.

You can abuse most games in various ways to beat stronger opponents, but this is diverting far from my original question about Geralt's level being reset to 1 in each sequel.

Codex Year of the Donut
Ludonarrative dissonance
The most amusing part of this is when you see recurring characters who remain just as strong/are stronger.

I like when games at least try some form of explanation as to why you're not as powerful as you were at the end of the last game. Mass Effect 2 is actually a great example here because you die at the start of the game and Shepard's body goes a long period without oxygen, brain function, etc., You don't even know if you're the real Shepard or not.

Arbiter

Scholar
Ludonarrative dissonance
The most amusing part of this is when you see recurring characters who remain just as strong/are stronger.

I like when games at least try some form of explanation as to why you're not as powerful as you were at the end of the last game. Mass Effect 2 is actually a great example here because you die at the start of the game and Shepard's body goes a long period without oxygen, brain function, etc., You don't even know if you're the real Shepard or not.

Gothic 2 intro provides a plausible explanation - the hero was buried under rubble and brought back by Xardas: "He is weak and has forgotten much, but he is alive".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom