Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 GOTY Edition

ferratilis

Magister
How's the gameplay different in Nextgen edition?
Barely. They added the feature from FCR3 where most skills are maxed at 3 to make it easier to swap them out and try different things, but I haven't noticed any other balance changes. They added some smaller features, like being able to instantly cast signs, stamina being infinite out of combat etc. But nothing major tbh. There are three new armor sets, but they aren't better than the existing ones (not that the game needs stronger gear because it's already too easy).

ferratilis

Magister
I'm trying to, but there's a fucking thunderstorm right now.
In case you didn't know, they added an option to turn off that horrendous dirty camera lens effect, in graphics settings. I always hated it and used mods to disable it, but now it's a toggle, thank god.

Justicar

Dead game
Glory to Ukraine
Witcher 1 vibes niggers

thewitcher316_12_20221fexi.png

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
doesnt increased LOD mod destroy your fps?i loose 10-15 when i use it.
You are right, this was taking about 20-25 fps when riding around Velen. I disabled it.

I also removed the Enhanced Texture 2 after I found out it doesn't change resolutions, just color balance.

Apparently my first screenshot was actually from somewhere earlier than 5AM. Here is one now from 5:11:

Vxg6eta.jpg

Trees don't look terribly different from this distance, certainly not enough to justify 20-something fps drop while exploring.

The ingame sharpening filter is actually doing some wonders here in bringing out the straws in the thatched roofs and the details in the little hill you see in the center across the river.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
In the next-gen version, I keep getting an annoying shimmer in the distance as I'm riding through forest paths. What seems to be causing it is the improved shadowing on trees in combination with disabled AA at 4K resolution.

I finally managed to work around it by enabling TAAU antialiasing, and then turning the ingame Sharpening to High, because otherwise the game looks like I'm short-sighted and without glasses. So you enable AA to get rid of aliasing artefacts, and then put a sharpening filter to combat the smudgy antialiasing. Crazy. And I don't need to do this in the non-next gen, where I simply don't have aliasing artefacts with far away shadows.

Another issue I was having was that the next-gen game was automatically enabling some kind of HDR mode as soon as I launch it, and has no way to turn it off. The solution happens to be to simply turn off HDR from windows' Display Settings. In contrast, I keep Windows' HDR turned on and have tuned my TV settings in a way that I can play Cyberpunk, and non-next gen Witcher 3 for example, and they look just fine. But for next-gen Witcher 3, I either have to re-tune the TV, which I can't be bothered to try, or I have to turn HDR off from Windows. At least I finally got it to look decent, and no shimmering. The FPS is around 45-50 in White Orchard. Is it worth it, I wonder.

Edit: shit, on a sidenote, there is a fucking horse customization mod: https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/6132

Yosharian

Arcane
According to a random Nexus user, the author of W3EE says he is not going to update the mod to work with Witcher 3.

What is a man to do. Witcher 3 cannot be played without this mod anymore.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Sooo has W3EE been updated to work with this yet?

I am not even gonna consider playing this game without it
Do you play W3EE with M&K or a controller?
Why teh fuck would i play Witcher 3 with a controller?
I thought there may be some better way to play W3EE combat that doesn't involve keyboard and mouse. In my experience doing those long-distance attacks where you change direction in the middle of the animation is very uncomfortable to do with a mouse.

The ony way I could play the EE is to give enemies a big handicap in damage dealt, and only gradually remove it from that point on. However I feel like I will need scores of hours of playing time and I simply can't make that time investment. With the default settings a fight with the drowners in the Twisted Firestarter sidequest turns into an epic battle that I spend like half an hour replaying until I get it right. I really like the alchemy and crafing and I wish I could install them separately, but the combat is like learning a new game.

Yosharian

Arcane

I thought there may be some better way to play W3EE combat that doesn't involve keyboard and mouse. In my experience doing those long-distance attacks where you change direction in the middle of the animation is very uncomfortable to do with a mouse.

The ony way I could play the EE is to give enemies a big handicap in damage dealt, and only gradually remove it from that point on. However I feel like I will need scores of hours of playing time and I simply can't make that time investment. With the default settings a fight with the drowners in the Twisted Firestarter sidequest turns into an epic battle that I spend like half an hour replaying until I get it right. I really like the alchemy and crafing and I wish I could install them separately, but the combat is like learning a new game.
Oh yeah it's insanely difficult. I lowered the damage settings too.

But that's not why I like the mod.

Anyway, it looks like a third party who makes a spin-off mod might be cooking something up

Old Hans

Arcane

Doesnt EE have a whole bunch of settings that you change? I remember that's what I did so It played like normal, but it had the cool alchemy system.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Doesnt EE have a whole bunch of settings that you change? I remember that's what I did so It played like normal, but it had the cool alchemy system.
That's what I'm saying, handicapping the enemies' damage multiplier is a must, I don't think many people besides the mod author can play with a damage multiplier of 1.

That's what I'm saying, handicapping the enemies' damage multiplier is a must, I don't think many people besides the mod author can play with a damage multiplier of 1.

It's doable, you have the get the dodges down. The only real problem is the random animations that I talked about earlier in the thread, which makes the amount of time it takes to complete your attack random and therefore you eat hits that you shouldn't when it takes too long to hit something.

I think all I modified was: Collect like 5x as many ingredients while harvesting and the horse collect thing works in a huge radius, made inventory limitless, and increased the rate of gaining skills by something like 100%. So I was able to stay constantly high on potions and try out varied tactics with all the spells/abilities to see what works and still remain decently skilled. Even then the leveling rate is pretty slow, you're kind of incentivized to spam signs while you're just running around.

Also I think I cheesed like 1/3rd of the bosses by spamming bombs. Still counts though, OK?

Justicar

Dead game
Glory to Ukraine
According to a random Nexus user, the author of W3EE says he is not going to update the mod to work with Witcher 3.

What is a man to do. Witcher 3 cannot be played without this mod anymore.
I think W3EE redux will be updated for next gen but dont quote me on that. Im missing this mod too I liked the skill progression by use and the fact that you could go straight to Skellige or do Hearts of stone dlc after finishing the tutorial zone if you wanted and knew what you were doing since the shitty lvl system was removed. It also fixed economy and enhanced the alchemy system. The removed lvl restrictions for gear were also great no more waiting for 34 to wear mastercrafted witcher sets if you had the crafting materials, money and diagrams you were set.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom