Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 GOTY Edition

Codex Year of the Donut
Have they fixed the missing cutscenes or are they just going to leave it like that?
Turns out there were no missing cutscenes at all. The retard that reported that had mods previously installed, updated the game, didn't remove the broken mods, and his game got fucked. Later on he recognized it was actually all there.
80& of the issues retards on steam are reporting comes from this. OH NOEZ MY FOLIAGE LOOKS LIKE MINECRAFT NOW FUCKING CDPR. Turns out nigger has some outdated mod installed.
imagine blaming the end user who had an update forced on them

if only there was some way they could have released this without shitting on people's existing installs
https://store.steampowered.com/app/373420/Divinity_Original_Sin__Enhanced_Edition/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/230230/Divinity_Original_Sin_Classic/
truly, we will never know

Ezekiel

Arcane
My no screen effects mod isn't working on the new version. It's not something I can get over. Last played this in the rain about a week ago, and now that I'm back there are the super idiotic droplets on the screen. When it doesn't rain, I will have to deal with the super idiotic constant dry moisture, like glasses that haven't been cleaned in days. Just put it in the menu finally, shit!

ferratilis

Magister
My no screen effects mod isn't working on the new version. It's not something I can get over. Last played this in the rain about a week ago, and now that I'm back there are the super idiotic droplets on the screen. When it doesn't rain, I will have to deal with the super idiotic constant dry moisture, like glasses that haven't been cleaned in days. Just put it in the menu finally, shit!
It doesn't work because one of those modules is now included in the game (dirty camera lens effect can be toggled on and off), which makes it incompatible with Screen FX Removal mod. Tbh, what they included here is enough, because that effect was really annoying. The ones that remain in the game are not nearly as hard to look at.

ferratilis

Magister
I made a quick comparison to show the difference. With this toggle, there's no need for that mod anymore imo.
ON:
20221220232720-1.jpg
OFF:
20221220232738-1.jpg

Ezekiel

Arcane
It doesn't work because one of those modules is now included in the game (dirty camera lens effect can be toggled on and off), which makes it incompatible with Screen FX Removal mod. Tbh, what they included here is enough, because that effect was really annoying. The ones that remain in the game are not nearly as hard to look at.

I did turn that off. So, fresh water droplets on screen in, dry moisture effect out? Okay. :(

ferratilis

Magister
Yeah, from what I played so far, there are fresh water droplets, toxicity effects, mud on the screen if a water hag throws it at you and a few others. But they don't seem nearly as aggressive as before. I hope more developers realize how stupid those effects are. Who the fuck wants to look at the game through a dirty camera lens, or with film grain, chromatic aberration and other bullshit. Leave that to movies.

Ryzer

Prophet
Vatnik
But guys, did they finally fix the gameplay? And did they reworked how the game world works or is it still like in Assassin's Creed?
Maybe this was the primary matter of concern rather than graphics whoring.
God I hate this trend on graphics!!!!!111!

Gerrard

Arcane
How the fuck did they need to wait until this update to fix the fall damage, Jesus Christ...

How the fuck did they need to wait until this update to fix the fall damage, Jesus Christ...

Do you still die at the start of the game in the flashback when you jump down from Yennefer's room? If so then the game hasn't been dumbed down enough for me, I've done that twice.

Dhaze

Cipher
Yeah, from what I played so far, there are fresh water droplets, toxicity effects, mud on the screen if a water hag throws it at you and a few others. But they don't seem nearly as aggressive as before. I hope more developers realize how stupid those effects are. Who the fuck wants to look at the game through a dirty camera lens, or with film grain, chromatic aberration and other bullshit. Leave that to movies.

It's perhaps not a 'dirty camera lens' per se, and more importantly it's in the first person view rather than the third thus it feels different, but in the Metro series the effects of condensation, smeared dirt, blood splatters, or even outright cracked glass for the gas mask are very well done and quite important.

But even in third person interesting things can be done, notably with effects that diminish your vision. If my character becomes temporarily blinded by magic or some such while fighting, instead of leaving the screen intact but inflicting me with some goofy-looking percentage-based chance to miss, I'd rather the screen went almost entirely black save for a small portion in the middle, forcing me to rely mostly on audio cues. Though that requires some solid work on the devs' part, instead of just throwing dirt on the screen and calling it done.

If anything, I hope more developers dig a little bit to see what can be done in that department.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In

Not sure if this is real or a mod for clickbait, but it's probably one of the worst quality animations in the game if it is. There are fan patches with higher quality than this.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Downloading the "The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Complete Edition (Part X of 10)" from the left column of GOG "The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Complete Edition" library entry downloads the same files as downloading "Witcher 3 Classic 1.32 PartX" from the right column of the same library entry, under "Extras". The latter was supposed to be the non-next gen version :lol:

Until CDPR fix the urls, the only way to install the non-next gen is to install from the old library entry "The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt". You know it, the one that existed before CDPR created the Witcher 3 GOTY edition as a separate library entry, with all DLCs bundled in the same install files.

Gotta love it when indie studios of 5 people are better at managing their releases than a publicly traded million-dollar AAA company.

Starwars

Arcane
I fired it up to give the update a go. Feels a bit messy to me, have a little bit of what feels like input lag when moving Geralt. Thought it was my imagination at first but nope, looked around on forums and it seems to be a thing with the next gen patch. Also had some bugs with the music stopping. Yay for "updates" I suppose.

As far as the visuals go, I can't use RT so no idea about that. I can run Cyberpunk pretty well with some of the RT options on but no go here, it just drops the framerate too much.
Running it with the rest on Ultra+ though.

I feel like the interiors look weird, can't put my finger on it. Not sure if it's the lighting, new textures or a combination. It just doesn't come together.

The exteriors do look fantastic though I have to say. Running around White Orchard, it's a pretty big upgrade, at least for someone who hasn't dabbled in mods.

garren

Arcane
Patron
I fired it up to give the update a go. Feels a bit messy to me, have a little bit of what feels like input lag when moving Geralt. Thought it was my imagination at first but nope, looked around on forums and it seems to be a thing with the next gen patch.
I noticed the input lag too, really annoying. Gonna wait until they fix that before I'll play around some more.

Gerrard

Arcane
I see the regular shadows are still fucked on default settings like in the old version.
This is shadows on Ultra.
honk honk!

On Ultra+ you get an extra 5-10 meters of detailed shadows distance.

Ultra
zwtiKbi.jpg

hW46BUy.jpg

Ultra+
d59J9lt.jpg

LDyDUic.jpg

The funniest thing is, in the old version I used a mod that added more graphic options to change the shadow rendering parameters, increased the distance of the highest detail shadows way beyond this, and it barely affects FPS.

In the end game was one of the most beautiful games around. Perfect marriage of design and technology
:lol:
Also, the new version stutters like crazy for me.

Gerrard

Arcane
Gerrard is it "Light and Shadow", that mod?
The mod I used was "Ultimate Graphic Options Mod", basically gives you access to ini settings from inside the game.

Another thing, despite them apparently making new volumetric clouds the cloud shadows are still completely fake and don't match the actual clouds at all.

Last edited:

Semiurge

Cipher
I love how they call this the "next-gen patch". Yeah, more like how the game would have looked like on release on PC if they didn't have to dumped the graphics down to make it work on peasant console hardware lmao.

It could've looked better still, like the pre-downgrade version. That would've been truly next-gen, probably too taxing for the hardware of its time.

Gerrard

Arcane
I reinstalled the old version, there is zero stuttering (the new one stutters on both DX versions), even in town. Whatever they did, they fucked something up big time.

Old Hans

Arcane
I see the regular shadows are still fucked on default settings like in the old version.
honk honk!

Ultra
zwtiKbi.jpg

hW46BUy.jpg

Ultra+
d59J9lt.jpg

LDyDUic.jpg

The funniest thing is, in the old version I used a mod that added more graphic options to change the shadow rendering parameters, increased the distance of the highest detail shadows way beyond this, and it barely affects FPS.

In the end game was one of the most beautiful games around. Perfect marriage of design and technology

for real this is my biggest pet peeve with modern games. shitty shadow cascading. I was playing elden ring and that game has some of of the worst, low res blobby most distracting shadows ive ever seen.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I reinstalled the old version, there is zero stuttering (the new one stutters on both DX versions), even in town. Whatever they did, they fucked something up big time.
On that subject, there is the tech review by Nvidia Cuckoldry. They seem biased when it comes to how much graphics are improved, but fair when it comes to the performance issues, which is the latter third of the video.

honk honk!

Ultra
zwtiKbi.jpg

hW46BUy.jpg

Ultra+
d59J9lt.jpg

LDyDUic.jpg

for real this is my biggest pet peeve with modern games. shitty shadow cascading. I was playing elden ring and that game has some of of the worst, low res blobby most distracting shadows ive ever seen.

I don't understand how devs can spend time implementing raytracing that wastes 2/3rds of our performance when instead using their time to fix egregious shit like this would cost 10%.

Actually, nevermind, I do understand: Nvidia bribing them.

On that subject, there is the tech review by Nvidia Cuckoldry. They seem biased when it comes to how much graphics are improved, but fair when it comes to the performance issues, which is the latter third of the video.

>skip a few minutes into the video
>3:05
>"If you look, every single torchbearer's torch is actually casting shadows"
>said while the torches cast shadows on only 10% of the stuff in view
It's actually laughable what a small visual improvement raytracing is for such a large performance hit. They must be only tracing them in a radius of like 5 feet or something because you can clearly see the torch held by the guy on the back left side not illuminating the shadow of the guy on the back right or causing him to cast his own shadow relative to that torch.

I can only imagine that actual accurate shadow raycasting in this scene across the whole image would cost like 10x as much GPU power as it does now. We could just do normal fucking dynamic shadows like every other game in existence did for 20 years and still run at 200 FPS and have virtually the same image (with shadows being cast across the whole screen), but no, we need this fucking raytraced crap.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom