Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 GOTY Edition

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Perkel , the W3EE Redux documentation says that "Meditating at places of power will distribute one skill point to its respective sign". However, when I meditate, with or without starting a fire, next to a place of power, I don't see anything changing about the amount of progress to a skill point. Have you been able to do this, do you know if there is a "right way" to?

Perkel

Arcane
Perkel , the W3EE Redux documentation says that "Meditating at places of power will distribute one skill point to its respective sign". However, when I meditate, with or without starting a fire, next to a place of power, I don't see anything changing about the amount of progress to a skill point. Have you been able to do this, do you know if there is a "right way" to?
maybe old documentation.

currently all skills are earned as you use them. So if you want to upgrade Yrden you have to use Yrden. Can't become now igni master while not casting igni even once.

You use the place of power and go into a meditation stance and get a point. Problem is that its very buggy and you only get one after trying dozens of times. Not sure if its an issue with you needing to be in a certain position or just weird coding issues. A few PoPs I gave up trying at.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
maybe old documentation.

currently all skills are earned as you use them. So if you want to upgrade Yrden you have to use Yrden. Can't become now igni master while not casting igni even once.
No, actually I was the dumb one. The points were noted underneath all the skill icons.

ferratilis

Magister
It's crazy how easy this game has become with this new version (not that it was particularly hard before). I'm playing on Death March, with enemy upscaling to try to make it at least a bit challenging. Nope, still feel like a god. I noticed they increased the knockdown chance when using Quen exploding shield or just when you're blocking and parrying, so there are many situations where you block an attack, the enemy gets knocked down and then you just do the finisher on them. Other than using Swallow here and there, there's no need for potions and decoctions because it's already trivial as it is. Can't wait for Ghost Mode to be updated tbh.

Until you wander 100 feet across an invisible area barrier and run into level 20 drowners that one hit you.

aloeh

Novice
for real this is my biggest pet peeve with modern games. shitty shadow cascading. I was playing elden ring and that game has some of of the worst, low res blobby most distracting shadows ive ever seen.

Shadows are INCREDIBLY expensive because their cost rises in logarithm instead of linear fashion. With each new light you have to recalculate whole scene another time and take into account existing shadows. So by 6 light source casting shadows you are looking at power of 6. Only real way to deal with that problem is either bake them aka no dynamic shadows/lights or raytracing which skips whole issue as nothing is recalculated with each new light source and shadows are just lack of light rays thought it creates its own power hungry set of issues.

You can have 1000s of dynamic lights without shadows but you can only have like 6-7 lights with shadows IN MODERN GAMES. So usually you have your sun casting shadows, few nearest lights casting shadows and character torch/light casting shadow and that's it. And even those have very aggressive limits.

So only raytracing can help here and by that i mean path tracing rather than hybrid we use today.

Ray tracing can improve a lot with more firepower on gpus. Path tracing is impossible with wath we have now. One game with complexy of the witcher 3 in path tracing will only viable in 10~15 years.

I work with archviz, I have a 3070 and do Gpu rendering, when I render one image in 2k, 1 frame usually need 5 min to render one image.

The Ray tracing technology improves over 2000% in performance at some areas, still I need 5 minutes.

To render in real time 30 fps will need a amount of firepower that is beyond me.

AwesomeButton

Patron
It's crazy how easy this game has become with this new version (not that it was particularly hard before). I'm playing on Death March, with enemy upscaling to try to make it at least a bit challenging. Nope, still feel like a god. I noticed they increased the knockdown chance when using Quen exploding shield or just when you're blocking and parrying, so there are many situations where you block an attack, the enemy gets knocked down and then you just do the finisher on them. Other than using Swallow here and there, there's no need for potions and decoctions because it's already trivial as it is. Can't wait for Ghost Mode to be updated tbh.
The "FCR" rebalance mod tends to make the game easier if you get ahead of the character points curve, and it's integrated into the next gen version.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Started watching whole "secrets of TW3" on yt. Damn it. Quests have so many different interactions that me finishing game like 4 times hardly saw half of those.

The real stunner are those weird ones that you think no one would think of but somehow they did. In that Lambert/Gerlat quest in Kaer Mohren where you go with boat across lake you can actually ignore finding boat and just swim across. When you arrive to cave there will be actually a cutscene where Lambert says that Geralt is fucking weird swimming across whole lake.

missing in action:

lords of undvik:

I have noticed this kind of stuff more in this playthrough. There's a lot of attention to detail. Villagers talk about the last events (Monster contracts and stuff) and side events/missions has consequences between them. Like you can talk with a "merchant" at Oxenfurt bridge that sells you a fake pass, he will give you the task of protecting a guy who is looting the near battlefield. I actually found that guy earlier, tried to help him but he died to the monsters. When talking with the merchant there's a funny dialoge where Geralt directly tells him the guy is already dead, and then the merchant refuses to help you anymore.

About mu graphics: Overall, the visual improvements are nice. But they butchered the performance at certain areas, like Novigrad. For me it runs worse than before (Drops to 35 FPS). Meanwhile before the patch it did run at 60 FPS with occasional 55 drops, at very high/ultra settings.

Justicar

Dead game
Glory to Ukraine
witcher3_2022-12-26_21-57-26.png
witcher3_2022-12-28_00-08-52.png
witcher3_2022-12-26_22-18-59.png
6IAuv4u.png
16726653690442508bfd1.png

Ezekiel

Arcane
Wow, Geralt's hair looks better static. That white crap hanging off his jaw looks like a field of grass blowing in the wind with Hairworks on. I've probably never seen good hair in a game. It always moves too lightly or is too neatly aligned or both. Would rather have good hair than ray tracing and DLSS, which I don't use anyway.

Last edited:

Tyrr

Liturgist
That nvidia hairworks was always a scam. Back when W3 was first released, and again today.

Semiurge

Cipher
Wow, Geralt's hair looks better static. That white crap hanging off his jaw looks like a field of grass blowing in the wind with Hairworks on. I've probably never seen good hair in a game. It always moves too lightly or is too neatly aligned or both. Would rather have good hair than ray tracing and DLSS, which I don't use anyway.

wVnpAnS.gif

Perkel

Arcane
got out of white orchard and completely forgot i didn't play W3EE. Went to some bandits in village and started pounding some bandit. like 50 hits with sword just because they are 5 levels higher...

In W3EE you were looking mostly what type of enemy you face which decided if could be killed easily or not. Vampires were near impossible to kill at start, bandits were dangerous in group if you were sloppy to get hit few times.

Ibn Sina

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Man.. Reading all those comments about all the little interactivity and reactions... I keep wondering how can they go from this to CP277, where the game is like a linear movie. No different scenes, no interactivity, nothing. 99% Quests consist of shoot and kill

AwesomeButton

Patron
I keep wondering how can they go from this to CP277, where the game is like a linear movie
Pressure to release. It's understated how incomplete CP77 actually is, and it's a testament to the state of the "specialized" media and of the audience in general that no one has picked up on this for these two years.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Vampires were near impossible to kill at start,
I turn all enemy types' damage multiplier to 0.5, and still the Noonwraith in White Orchard and the Ekimmara in Dragonslayer's Grotto would kick my ass mercilessly. The noonwraith because its hits were hard to avoid, and because it's heаlth pool was giving it good longevity. The ekimmara was simply too fast and for nearly every hit I make I would also take one myself.

I like going for the Griffin armor soon after I reach the Baron, so that was kind of a problem. In the end I stole the schematics while the ekimmara was fighting the leshen which was bugging out and finding itself inside the cave. It normally walks the hill above us, but there is some clipping issue. I don't know what it's caused by, but it was also present when I was playing with FCR recently, and it has been there in all my EE attempts.

Last edited:

Ezekiel

Arcane
My plan was to focus more on the side quests this time, since I didn't enjoy the story that much years ago. But I feel buried. There is too much to do, too many odd jobs. The game has been telling me to find a boat to Skellige for hours and hours now and I'm still swamped in Novigrad, not even counting all the Witcher contracts I left open, which go beyond the city. No sense of urgency, no penalty for being obsessive.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Man.. Reading all those comments about all the little interactivity and reactions... I keep wondering how can they go from this to CP277, where the game is like a linear movie. No different scenes, no interactivity, nothing. 99% Quests consist of shoot and kill
This is what happens when management gets up in their own asses. Happens to plenty of companies not just in gaming industry. Company works well -> new management decides they have to show off and save every penny on everything (look, we have record earnings now because we replaced all experienced stuff with graduates!) -> things derail -> everyone pretends it's fine or quits -> end product is shit -> WHAT WENT WRONG?! (not our fault of course!) -> nothing learned, next product will be just as shit

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom