Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 GOTY Edition

Perkel

Arcane
for real this is my biggest pet peeve with modern games. shitty shadow cascading. I was playing elden ring and that game has some of of the worst, low res blobby most distracting shadows ive ever seen.

Shadows are INCREDIBLY expensive because their cost rises in logarithm instead of linear fashion. With each new light you have to recalculate whole scene another time and take into account existing shadows. So by 6 light source casting shadows you are looking at power of 6. Only real way to deal with that problem is either bake them aka no dynamic shadows/lights or raytracing which skips whole issue as nothing is recalculated with each new light source and shadows are just lack of light rays thought it creates its own power hungry set of issues.

You can have 1000s of dynamic lights without shadows but you can only have like 6-7 lights with shadows IN MODERN GAMES. So usually you have your sun casting shadows, few nearest lights casting shadows and character torch/light casting shadow and that's it. And even those have very aggressive limits.

So only raytracing can help here and by that i mean path tracing rather than hybrid we use today.

Last edited:

Old Hans

Arcane
So only raytracing can help here and by that i mean path tracing rather than hybrid we use today.
this is the tech im really excited about, lights and shadows that dont require a bunch of developer tricks, like in that video a couple posts above, at the 5-minute mark. thats what im talking about. now all I need is a computer that isn't NINE YEARS OLD. then I can re-immerse myself back into the Witcher 3 where I will spend hours admiring my ray traced horse saddles

Dhaze

Cipher
for real this is my biggest pet peeve with modern games. shitty shadow cascading. I was playing elden ring and that game has some of of the worst, low res blobby most distracting shadows ive ever seen.

FromSoft really struggle with shadows; and they have possibly the worst implementation of SSAO I've ever seen. It was bad in DS2, bad in DS3, then became outright awful in Sekiro and remained like so in Elden Ring. In some places you can have a sort of faint white-ish aura or glow that englobes your character. Overall I don't care much about graphics, yet even I find that disctracting.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I just learned that HBAO+ has mysteriously disappeared from the DX11 version of the Next Gen Witcher 3. In other words, buy raytracing-enabled cards, you scrooges! :lol:

Downloading the "The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Complete Edition (Part X of 10)" from the left column of GOG "The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Complete Edition" library entry downloads the same files as downloading "Witcher 3 Classic 1.32 PartX" from the right column of the same library entry, under "Extras". The latter was supposed to be the non-next gen version :lol:

Until CDPR fix the urls, the only way to install the non-next gen is to install from the old library entry "The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt". You know it, the one that existed before CDPR created the Witcher 3 GOTY edition as a separate library entry, with all DLCs bundled in the same install files.

Gotta love it when indie studios of 5 people are better at managing their releases than a publicly traded million-dollar AAA company.
This has been fixed, after I wrote to support about it, and likely I wasn't the only one.

ferratilis

Magister
Sorry for graphical faggotry, but I took a glance at that DF video, and found something interesting. They use this location to show the difference between non-RT and RT:
image.png
He keeps yapping on about how the non-RT version looks bad.

And then I took a screenshot of my own, I can only play non-RT, this is how it looks:
20221225001214-1.jpg
Despite the difference in weather, there's a ton of detail missing in their shot, along with shadows and AO. I can only guess they deliberately lowered the settings to upsell RT. It wouldn't be surprising from them tbh.

Old Hans

Arcane
Sorry for graphical faggotry, but I took a glance at that DF video, and found something interesting. They use this location to show the difference between non-RT and RT:
image.png

And then I took a screenshot of my own, I can only play non-RT, this is how it looks:
20221225001214-1.jpg
Despite the difference in weather, there's a ton of detail missing in their shot, along with shadows and AO. I can only guess they deliberately lowered the settings to upsell RT. It wouldn't be surprising from them tbh.
of course when the sun is out in Vanilla looks nice. once you remove the sun everything looks flat. I remember some of the interiors like the barber shop were just totally devoid of lighting and shadows. it looked terrible

Perkel

Arcane
image.png

20221225001214-1.jpg

Do the same thing at night.

don_tomaso

Liturgist
image.png

20221225001214-1.jpg
of course when the sun is out in Vanilla looks nice. once you remove the sun everything looks flat. I remember some of the interiors like the barber shop were just totally devoid of lighting and shadows. it looked terrible

You are doing quite a retarded comparison there. The whole point was to show of how it looks when there are no direct sunlight in the environment. Non-GI games usually look extremely ugly then, which they are showing very well imo. Come back with a screenshot matched with their time of day and complain instead. I'm sure the "missing" AO is just because of the increased image contrast resulting from the sun in your pic, you don't noticed the AO as well.

Perkel

Arcane
Started watching whole "secrets of TW3" on yt. Damn it. Quests have so many different interactions that me finishing game like 4 times hardly saw half of those.

The real stunner are those weird ones that you think no one would think of but somehow they did. In that Lambert/Gerlat quest in Kaer Mohren where you go with boat across lake you can actually ignore finding boat and just swim across. When you arrive to cave there will be actually a cutscene where Lambert says that Geralt is fucking weird swimming across whole lake.

missing in action:

lords of undvik:

Starwars

Arcane
There's a lot of cool, small stuff in the Witcher 3, lots of nice reactivity. There's a bunch of that type of stuff in Cyberpunk too (though not as much afaik).

It's fun for novelty but I still feel like it doesn't add as much as it should. The game is so vast and the details are usually so small (cool as they can be) that I find it all gets a bit lost in the grand scheme of things. And while walking around White Orchard, for example, is a treat for the eye, in most of the houses there's just filler loot. It doesn't really encourage exploring it in depth, so finding that the Nilfgaardian soldier moves in with the Temerian family is a nice touch but... still a very very small *reward* for wading through a lot of generic houses. It's like... I'm sure there's cool stuff you can find in Novigrad in some house or another, but who's gonna go through all that shit? It all looks fantastic but the game never managed to pull me in in a way that I really wanted to go around and explore every nook and cranny.

I'm not usually one to complain about small, hidden reactivity, I love that stuff, but in Witcher 3 I really wished they had focused the overall experience a bit more and opened quests up in more interesting ways.

And while you can do a lot of the quests in weird order or whatever, and get a reaction for it, they just try to railroad you so much that you have to go out of the way to do in a weird order. It's a shame since there is an effort in the game to have that reactivity, but nothing about the game encourages you to go about the quests in a more creative way. You get level indicactors, quest compasses, it just tries too hard to guide you.

Gerrard

Arcane
Too bad they didn't apply that attention to detail to not having the same scripted conversation play from the same NPCs every time you pass them.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Too bad they didn't apply that attention to detail to not having the same scripted conversation play from the same NPCs every time you pass them.
They've grown on me actually, I find them fun. It's also cool to check out the variations in different localizations for things like songs, and some dialogues. They sometimes have little in common, or are worth experiencing in a different language.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
I started this up again after the new upgrade/update for my PS5. Well worth another playthrough. This is one of those games I bounced off of pretty hard the first time around, but I'm glad I stuck with it . . . even though I wouln't really consider this a hardcore RPG. :smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom