Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Expansion Thread

Eirikur

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
There's nothing politically correct about TW3. Saying that it's PC because it includes three non-hetero NPCs is like saying that GamerGate is PC because Milo Yiannapolous is homosexual. The tranny tailor scene is funny because of how much it disturbs Geralt. And the video above has nothing to do with feminism, it's likely an in-joke about TW1 where you slept with (and collected sex cards from) damsels in distress. The vast majority of female NPCs are housewives or prostitutes (which can only be used as sex objects), and all the female main characters are the kind of perfect slender sex symbols that feminists hate.

... and what other RPG has gone here.

Capture.jpg

Last edited:

Gerrard

Arcane
oh nevermind, you're just a raging sperg. I bet you can't see a black person in a bioware game without shitting your pants in rage.

Why do you say raging sperg when you're the unemployed morbidly obese fat guy who got mocked after posting youtube videos, and here you are gettin pumped over Eurofag girl power?

Another example of subjectively good writing in Witcher 3:

Gay liberal vampire who doesnt drink blood, betrays his race and then stabs his homeboy in the back. No wonder why you identify so hard with this cuck franchise.
3gIBFdM.jpg

Witcher has shit combat

ohlookitstahtmemeagain.jpg

Last edited:

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
The tranny tailor scene is funny because of how much it disturbs Geralt.
Yeah. If anything, I'm surprised that there hasn't be an SJW outcry about some of these scenes yet. They're piss-poor examples if you want to prove any kind of political agenda.

The game's writing does have some major issues, though, especially considering the main quest and several of the villains. A lot of that was directly inherited from Sapkowski, but CDPR could've done a lot better on several occasions. Then again, pointing out that stuff would probably require some actual though and effort, so let's just throw a hissy fit because of a comic relief tranny instead.

Gord

Arcane
He makes some valid points (e.g. the evil=ugly thing), but a lot of it is greatly exaggerated and giving too much credit to the older parts, imo.
E.g. the old games had their share of "obviously evil" chars as well and there are still a lot of quests in W3 where there isn't any obviously right choice - in fact there seem to be precious little quests where that is the case (but then I've not played that much of W3 yet).
And Sexuality? Biggest change seems a clear reduction of potential love interests, but that's happening since W2. Nudity? There's still plenty, if you care about that.
But ultimately, vidya game sex is probably more appealing to some teenage boys than a mature audience. Whatever.

Last edited:

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Well Im just saying, your examples of "bad writing" are literally just cherrypicked examples that dont speak to the whole. You have a serious and troubling issue with portrayals of people that are not 'normal' to you. Im just some kind of freak, I guess, I can talk to an openly gay person in a videogame and not get immediately upset and write the entire series off as poorly written because I dont get triggered by gays or whatever. The witcher is pretty balanced politically and most of the source material is written extrenely sarcastically, that is in fact, at least in Poland, the main appeal of the character. But you know, keep literally shitting your pants over minir parts of a massive game....:edgy:

It's not cherry picking when I can open up any part of the game and point to an example of fag/hipster pandering. But if you're some shitlib nerd who likes that stuff whatever, How about the fact you can master all dialogue checks before you even hit level 1 in the first 5 minutes by hitting up 3 power stones, or the fact that the combat is no longer skill based but loot based, so if your numbers arent high enough you just break your weapons on the enemy even if you can dodge and punish every attack thereby penalizing the skillful player, having to grind for every little thing, I mean it's just mechanically shit. How about leveling being incredibly slow in a point grind game?
we were talking about the writing, not the mechanics. And have you heard of confirmation bias? You open the game up and look for "fag pandering" wherever you go, youre gonna find it.

But you really lost the argument by changing the subject to whining about the mechanics. I know youre incapable of recognizing such, so Im just gonna drop the discussion.

Youve got some way to go, and I wish you luck. :love:

For a games anal ist you sure are an unthinking, uncritical, publisher worshipping passive aggressive fuckhead. Heres to hoping you die alone, and unwanted, as you are now.

Heres some more fag shit that only exists because i'm looking for it, fresh out of Schrodingers Box, delivered to you by Quantum Eddy.

That's funny.
I met that bitchy elf girl a few days ago and while telling the racist bunch to leave her alone too I picked "You're welcome." for the last dialogue choice.
To which she responds with more condescending bitching. Or did she just say fuck off and walk away? Can't remember exactly but they didn't make her backpedal to appear more likeable. Whoever wrote that was very aware of the fact that she's just another asshole you come across.
And she's not alone, most Scoia'tael supporters are just racist shitstains too.
Also she seemed to have something to hide. The mob actually had a point about the missing bucket.
Weird and unnecessary that she would lie, seemed like something was off with her. I didn't bother to ask because none of my business though, and I told the mob to leave her alone for the same reason. But the bitch was ungrateful.

Witcher world is an ugly one and blind hatred gets answered with blind hatred.

Fells very much like the real world imo.

Last edited:

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
The tranny tailor scene is funny because of how much it disturbs Geralt.
Yeah. If anything, I'm surprised that there hasn't be an SJW outcry about some of these scenes yet. They're piss-poor examples if you want to prove any kind of political agenda.

Wasn't that dude just a cross dresser? Don't think it was ever stated he was gay. Also for some reason it didn't feel forced and Geralt (who has been pretty damn heterosexual) in the games didn't have the option for ass fucking. Also they didn't make Dandelion gay for him either which is what I thought was going to happen. The reason games get shit on is that they go overboard in faggotry (DA2) or add SJW crap for no apparent reason (SoD). That scene with the tailor was just so bizarre and without any moral preaching that no one cared.

Toffeli

Atomkrieg, ja bitte
Patron
Wasteland 2
Just on a random note. Thought about it since the album came out this March or so, but came to my mind today again. Doesn't this Amon Amarth track sound a lot like Dusk of a Northern Kingom (TW1)/Geralt of Rivia(TW3)

Perkel

Arcane
Fields of Ard Skellig are based on some celtic folk song as i heard.

Either way TW3 ost is fucking amazing even without percival remixed old songs and ard skellig one:

Perkel

Arcane
btw i wonder how much they got paid to do this ( i mean those girl posing as elves)

Tytus

Arcane
Funny little tidbit of information about Percival:

CDPR wanted Percival to do the make music for thr game as far as Witcher 1 so they sent them a proposition through e-mail. But the becasue Percival didn't have an agent they managed all their correspondence themselves. But the guy who taking care of e-mails (Percival lead) overlooked the e-mail. (At least that what he said during an interview on the Radio when they were going to play in Biskupin).

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
just got to skellige. will i be able to return to novigrad later? i have some side quests unfinished

Perkel

Arcane
just got to skellige. will i be able to return to novigrad later? i have some side quests unfinished

Game will literaly tell you via popup that you reach point of no return.

Enjoy skellige i finished second time game with all expansions and still finished like 20% of skellige quests :(

Though i play hour a day finishing stuff.

Red Rogue

Learned
I bought this game on the 7th, and I already have 35 hours in it.
Been enjoying myself so much that I immediately went and purchased The Witcher 1 and 2, excited to play those eventually.

In the first area of the game, White Orchard/No mans land, the scope of POI's/Sidequests felt about right, and I went to every POI in the area.
However upon getting to Velen I've chosen to stop doing everything and only do things that seem interesting. There's simply too much and I don't want to get burnout.

For example, I didn't help the pellar after I was done with him in Family Matters because I hated the character. I will say though, The Witcher 3 does a much better job of handling an "open world" than Bioware did with Dragon Age Inquisition. I hated that game, it was 99 percent garbage filler content. In TW3 at least, there are sidequests with actual effort put into them. Sidequests that many players may possibly miss because there's a good amount of them. One example is the quest in Velen where you have to clear monsters out of the ladies manor, but OH SHIT SURPRISE Letho is chilling there and we get to explore some content with him.

Anyway, I also wanted to say that I find the characterization incredibly well done. There are some characters I ran across, that I just fucking hated. I didn't want to help them, I felt legitimately frustrated playing a fictional fantasy game. That strikes me as an example of quality writing. Then there are others characters that I really vibe with and want to complete every quest associated with them. Like The Bloody Baron, that guy is awesome.

There's a lot of love put into this game, really can't say enough about it. Just got to Novigrad and I'm looking forward to more and also exploring the other two games.
Side note: Gwent is my favorite minigame since Triple Triad.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Been enjoying myself so much that I immediately went and purchased The Witcher 1 and 2, excited to play those eventually.

In the first area of the game, White Orchard/No mans land, the scope of POI's/Sidequests felt about right, and I went to every POI in the area.
However upon getting to Velen I've chosen to stop doing everything and only do things that seem interesting. There's simply too much and I don't want to get burnout.

For example, I didn't help the pellar after I was done with him in Family Matters because I hated the character. I will say though, The Witcher 3 does a much better job of handling an "open world" than Bioware did with Dragon Age Inquisition. I hated that game, it was 99 percent garbage filler content. In TW3 at least, there are sidequests with actual effort put into them. Sidequests that many players may possibly miss because there's a good amount of them. One example is the quest in Velen where you have to clear monsters out of the ladies manor, but OH SHIT SURPRISE Letho is chilling there and we get to explore some content with him.

Anyway, I also wanted to say that I find the characterization incredibly well done. There are some characters I ran across, that I just fucking hated. I didn't want to help them, I felt legitimately frustrated playing a fictional fantasy game. That strikes me as an example of quality writing. Then there are others characters that I really vibe with and want to complete every quest associated with them. Like The Bloody Baron, that guy is awesome.

There's a lot of love put into this game, really can't say enough about it. Just got to Novigrad and I'm looking forward to more and also exploring the other two games.
Do side quests and witcher quests too! Those witcher contracts often turn out to be no less interesting and turn out to be more complex than just slashing monsters (some of them are that though).

I got this game a week ago and I'm still playing it every day for like 10 hours. I went to Skellige recently and it's even better due to amazing atmosphere and environment, even better than Velen.

This game is great, but combat is meh and those map filler monters are pissing me off sometimes when I'm exploring.

Sodafish

Arcane
I admit I'm only part way through B&W at the mo, but so far I have no real complaints. Yes it's clear HoS is better in the writing department, but extra content is always welcome and it's still good value IMO.

Red Rogue

Learned

Do side quests and witcher quests too! Those witcher contracts often turn out to be no less interesting and turn out to be more complex than just slashing monsters (some of them are that though).

I got this game a week ago and I'm still playing it every day for like 10 hours. I went to Skellige recently and it's even better due to amazing atmosphere and environment, even better than Velen.

This game is great, but combat is meh and those map filler monters are pissing me off sometimes when I'm exploring.

The combat isn't the best I've ever played but I'll say it's passable. Feels like it took some influences from Dark Souls and Batman. Ends up.... okay. I did notice that the witcher contracts often have some backstory, that was unexpected. Like the one where you have to find the missing wife in the woods and it turns into much more going on than that. It's just hard to tell which ones are worth going for because then you'll have something like "Go kill the swamp monster", and then you just track footprints and kill a foglet and that's that.

Anyway how come you guys don't like blood and wine? I haven't played either expansion but the description made BandW seem like an interesting setting.

Sam Ecorners

Arcane
Patron
B&W is the Old World Blues of TW3. Full of lulz and funneh, while having a pretty mediocre story. Characterization is still top notch and Toussant is beautiful, but compared to many parts of OC and HoS it was a let down.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom