Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Expansion Thread

made

Arcane
Trees need to chill the fuck out now and then tho. There's a very impressive scene in the swamp where you get a sense that some serious shit is brewing: music picks up, smoke starts to rise, trees shake and bend - except they do that all the time. It cheapens the effect.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Yeah the more I play the more it's clear the crafting in this game is a crock of shit. Soooo much fucking stuff. And for what? The Witcher Sets are far superior to everything you can have on any given level, nothwistanding the Witcher 3: Fashion Hunt since everything looks kinda meh (especially the heavy armors that make you look phat) only the witcher sets look super amazing.

Wouldn't it be far, far better to remove all the stupid crafting altogether and keep only the hunt for witcher sets (plus a few rare materials maybe) that you then bring to blacksmiths. It's clear CDPR wanted to throw absolutely everything into the mix (and in the largest possible quantity) but in this case it's just too much.

made

Arcane
Yeah the more I play the more it's clear the crafting in this game is a crock of shit. Soooo much fucking stuff. And for what? The Witcher Sets are far superior to everything you can have on any given level, nothwistanding the Witcher 3: Fashion Hunt since everything looks kinda meh (especially the heavy armors that make you look phat) only the witcher sets look super amazing.

Wouldn't it be far, far better to remove all the stupid crafting altogether and keep only the hunt for witcher sets (plus a few rare materials maybe) that you then bring to blacksmiths. It's clear CDPR wanted to throw absolutely everything into the mix (and in the largest possible quantity) but in this case it's just too much.

There's too much loot in general. From level 10 or so on every treasure I come across contains a unique sword etc, there's probably enough to equip a whole army by the end of the game. Sometimes it's even the same "unique" sword I found someplace else just 2 levels higher.

WhiteGuts

Arcane
The crafting is unecessarily bloated. I dunno what the fuck they thought they were doing. All those middle components you have to build...because. Why can't we just have "iron" for example ? Why is it necessary to have 56125 types of iron ores, 652063 types of iron bars...etc.

Cromwell

Arcane
The crafting is unecessarily bloated. I dunno what the fuck they thought they were doing. All those middle components you have to build...because. Why can't we just have "iron" for example ? Why is it necessary to have 56125 types of iron ores, 652063 types of iron bars...etc.

Crafting is an integral part of a very well thought out System, it gives you the incentive to look for better materials in this vast open world and encourages you to look for even the best hidden PoI which in turn lets you appreciate how big the world really is.

Idiott

Arcane
Crafting would be a lot better already if it automatically created all the components that you have materials to make. So if you want a sword and only need iron bars but you have iron ore in your inventory, it should just craft the iron ore first without you having to do this manually and wasting 2 minutes to find the iron bar recipe in the first place (because fuck name filters, yay consoles).

Cromwell

Arcane
That sounded too much like a PR statement to be even remotely genuine

In other words it means the idiots had to come up with a system which justifies the useless and way to big open world. If I remember correctly it was a complaint against witcher 1 that, in the swamp area in vizima, you were forced to go back and forth and had to fight drowners again and again.
there were even mods to cut down the monster population.

8 years later they multiply this shit tenfold and just by calling it open world the perkels of thi world fall in a masturbation frenzy.

Perkel

Arcane

Don't craft then. Aside from few bombs and potion i didn't craft and game played as well. MC gives ton of stuff

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I don't think it's there becoz the big open world. Bollocks. It's just there because of the craftfags. Weird as it is there are people in this world that absolutely demand crafting (and enchantments) in every fucking RPG ever, even if it almost always fucks up the itemization and loot balance. I can see why CDPR couldn't have removed crafting completely - the craftfags would cry bloody fucking murder. But there was no reason to make it so damn bloated.

Plus btw the itemization itself in this game isn't anything to write home about either. In fact it's quite bad. Same problem as in Diablo 3 or PoE - only difference between a RELIC1!!1 and a basic bitch sword is a few percentage digits here and there. Do devs never learn or what? Where is the legendary sword that saps your vitality while being cursed at the same time so you can't unequip it without help? Where is the relic axe that has a chance of cleave-in-half instagib? Where is the famous hammer that makes earthquakes? Where is anything special, interesting, different? Where are the flavour texts for legendary weapons? Every fucking signpost has a half-page description but rare weapons are treated as a utter trash. Heck I even found a RELIC fire poker. Wtf?

Are good itemization and loot reward systems really so hard? I don't think I've seen a better ones since Wizardry 7/8 and this is 20 years ago.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm a shameless loot hoarder and try to pick up everything. Witcher 3 cured this curse thankfully, just stopped looting generic containers after getting my 100th ore/vodka/mug. Same with the herbs, only loot if I see something new but I don't really have to since I'm stinkin rich.
Most crafted stuff is just not worth it, only for the looks tbh. I used that long red coat for a long time till I got upgraded Feline set.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Lies triple. Tested after I came home. You can't animation cancel until after the swing lands/misses. (So you can cancel the follow-through). But the enemies usually hit while you're doing the dumbass twirling pirouette thing. That can't be cancelled.

And yeah. I play console games with a game pad. Even the ones ported to pc. Problem? :smug:

You can cancel animation before geralt will in full swing. That is how cancelation should work and how it works in other combat games.
Cancelling anim when he is almost done with swing would be stupid.

I stood in a room. Pressed Y, then held stick left and mashed B immediately. he does his pirouette, swing then dodges during the follow through. So yeah, it's stupid.

Beowulf

Arcane
Crafting, when looked at detached from the game is well thought out system, when you gather basic ingredients to craft more usable ingredients to craft in turn more usable items. For example 0 hides->leather and leather stripes->reinforced leather->leather armour. Craftsman Simulator 201X

It just doesn't really work as one of the games systems, because it's needlessly complicated and brings more dubious decisions like proper loot generation. That, combined with very poor economy system (craft a sword from >500 crowns worth ingredients, sell it for 10, while a water bottle costs 48 from the same merchant) makes it an annoyance at best and basically forces you to ransack every house and check every crate, because you never know if you will a spoon in a bookshelf or meteorite dust in a sack behind poor shack.

I think it would be better if they stick with just few armors and swords, with flatter power curve, and with ingredients easily obtainable from few merchants. The looting could be left for those that really need to check every nook and cranny.

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
These souls games comparisons are silly... This game is desperately wanting to be batman.

Perhaps. Its just that Bloodborne is what I've been devoting myself to presently and I don't want to speng 60 kwallars on something that takes a dirt dive after a few hours.

I was hoping Witcher 3 would fill the open world and intriguing story/dialogue gap.

Last edited:

deranged

Cipher
These souls games comparisons are silly... This game is desperately wanting to be batman.

Perhaps. Its just that Bloodborne is what I've been devoting myself to presently and I don't want to speng 60 kwallars on something that takes a dirt dive after a few hours.

I was hoping Witcher 3 would fill the open world and intriguing story/dialogue gap.

Bloodborne is pure hack 'n slash.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Fuckin hell. The fights with several wraiths at once are tough as hell. And those where you gotta fight several groups of them in a row without rest is absolutely brual on deathmarch. These are the only instances I just had to lower the difficulty - in the scene with the Baron and the botchling and in the Penitent quest. I simply can't reload battles 20 times or more.

FUUUUUU.

deranged

Cipher
Fuckin hell. The fights with several wraiths at once are tough as hell. And those where you gotta fight several groups of them in a row without rest is absolutely brual on deathmarch. These are the only instances I just had to lower the difficulty - in the scene with the Baron and the botchling and in the Penitent quest. I simply can't reload battles 20 times or more.

FUUUUUU.

I found out that if it's a noonwraith the fight is significantly easier during the night. The opposite I guess would hold true for nightwraiths.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Game comes pretty close to how I would imagine my perfect open world action rpg. Throw in the opportunity to design a character, let quests have more solutions based on what skills/class you have and I'd be finally having the game I've envisioned since Arena. Still, what we got here is fantastic in its own right. Been spending an awful amount of time with this and am still not getting close to bored. Haven't seen a world crafted this lovingly since Ultima 7 came around. Makes me genuinly excited to see what they'll come up with in their cyberpunk game.

Dookins

Educated

FUUUUUU.

Man, there's a contract in Skellige you're going to love then.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

FUUUUUU.

Well that's the one with the haunted lighthouse no? That's the Penitent contract. Yeah, fuck that. (Plus it's recommended 17 and I did it at 20. Jesus).

Dookins

Educated

FUUUUUU.

Edit - My bad, you did it already. Anyhow, the Penitent quest was pretty cool, nice touch how they wove another sidequest around it.

Guys how optional is that Gwent shit? I'd rather avoid learning it and skip it completely. Does it come up as mandatory in some quest eventually?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Guys how optional is that Gwent shit? I'd rather avoid learning it and skip it completely. Does it come up as mandatory in some quest eventually?

I'm not bothering with it at all, don't like card games. So far it hasn't been mandatory, the worst that happened is a few unresolved quests remains stuck in your journal.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
you mean do we still remember that sapkowski had no idea how to finish 5th book so he just killed of his entire team and than "killed" geralt and teleported him and his slut to some shitty misty island? Thats anything but good times.

Still canon and giving him such a mundane death was very intentional. :cool:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom