Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Expansion Thread

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Also the combat is fucked up. I enjoy fights 1vs1 (somewhat resembling boss fights) but like I've said before: it's a circus when there are 3+ opponents.
How is that a flaw? Would you prefer a Diablo-style "kill millions of mobs with a single click" system? In my opinion it scales well.

An example: with level 1 Geralt (Hard diff. lvl) I can easily deal with one level 4 Drowner. 2 Drowners simultaneously will still be relatively easy. 3 will require some patience and skill. 4 will be very difficult and 5 practically impossible. This is exactly how it should work in a game like that, imo. You shouldn't be able to use the same tactics fighting one mob and 4 mobs. You should almost always die when trying to fight 5 or more enemies at the same time. Unless, of course, they are low level compared to you.

Make a video.

made

Arcane
Inventory is fine, certainly better than TW2. Just needs more tabs, and there's the wasted space at the bottom left where tooltips go when you use a pad which could be modded to enlarge the inventory grid. And the crafting window is a mess ofc, should replace the list with a grid and split the ingredients into several sections.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
But there is a form of level scaling. Have you tried fighting enemies 10 levels above you? You deal no damage. Because of level difference, not because they have higher armor value or some shit.

Actually, yeah, I have killed stuff over 10 levels higher than myself on death march.

Depends on the mob.

Lvl18 I've killed a Fiend lvl 22 and then I went for a Basilisk(?) lvl 24 -> I did 1000+ dmg and I did not put a dent on it. Gave up.

The same with fighting dwarfs on lvl 23. I cannot hurt them with anything: sword, bombs, igni, you name it.

Doktor Best

Arcane
So i'm at baron, and so far this is the best Witcher. I realy couldn't stomach w1 and 2 , but this one is great. I'm hoping that witcher 4 will let you create a custom character at start and there will be actual stats.
Who are you and what have you done to Makabb

Its the game. It simply is fucking excellent. It is so good that even the gamer pedant of the grinch, the standard codexian, will be forced to like it.

bonescraper

That's how you incoporate a song into your game, Bioware.

Also, it's pretty good.

English version, worse, unsurprisingly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Quatlo

Arcane

That's how you incoporate a song into your game, Bioware.

Also, it's pretty good.

English version, worse, unsurprisingly.

Priscillla :((((((

Nie kurwa serio, rozdziera mi to duszę ;(

Last edited:

norolim

Arcane
So i'm at baron, and so far this is the best Witcher. I realy couldn't stomach w1 and 2 , but this one is great. I'm hoping that witcher 4 will let you create a custom character at start and there will be actual stats.
We have a convert bros.

WhiteGuts

Arcane
Ghosts of the past.

Haha, I love how you can find Letho just doing some second-hand quest, that's pretty clever writing. It looked a bit too "generic" of a quest, but still didn't really expect it.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
And there absolutely is penalty for rolling - drains stamina, as it should. You can negate it by drinking the werewolf decoction but that has a very high toxicity so use carefuly. All in all I very much appreciate how they resolved the rolling problem from W2.
Do you mean on the hardest difficulty level? Because on Hard it only stops stamina from regenerating. Doesn't drain it at all.

Well shit, you're right.

Zeriel

Arcane
I don't think they really "resolved" the problem insofar as the side-dodge has replaced the utility of rolling in 2 and comes with no attached penalty. You can safely say that rolling is no longer a dominant strategy, but that's because they replaced it with a new dominant strategy with no downside.

Though worth mentioning that I didn't really consider roll-spam (and now dodge-spam) as inherently crippling problems with the game like some people, they are just core gameplay tenets. If they didn't exist, the combat would have to be radically different.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
And there absolutely is penalty for rolling - drains stamina, as it should. You can negate it by drinking the werewolf decoction but that has a very high toxicity so use carefuly. All in all I very much appreciate how they resolved the rolling problem from W2.
Do you mean on the hardest difficulty level? Because on Hard it only stops stamina from regenerating. Doesn't drain it at all.

Well shit, you're right.
Yep, I noticed that too. I don't really care either way, because dodging is a more effective move, rolling puts you into a bigger danger because many enemies jumps after you with a hit. I only roll if I fucked up big time and I am surrounded.

Perkel

Arcane
Carnal Desire quest... holy fuck. I thought i did it right.
Bravo CDPR. Bravo.

My jaw hit the floor.

Inventory needs more tabs. The "Usable items" one is a clusterfuck, needs separate tab for witcher items and one for readable stuff.

It's the weirdest thing, too, because Oils automatically sort to the top of the useable list. Why wouldn't witchers potions act the same way?

Zeriel

Arcane
Carnal Desire quest... holy fuck. I thought i did it right.
Bravo CDPR. Bravo.

My jaw hit the floor.

Just did that quest today. Personally, I found the twist, if you want to call it that way, to be somewhat bullshit.

That's CDPR's favorite type of twist.

"There are two outcomes to this quest! Both fuck you over uniquely. Isn't this fun? :')"

Honestly I don't even think that sort of writing is bad, it resonates with how reality works, no matter what you do you have regrets, but I think it would work better with a fully linear game where you don't have choices.

norolim

Arcane
Make a video.
Couldn't find a save where I hadn't yet killed those 4 drowners near the village, so I had to come up with sth else. Also, I had to record in half size, because fraps was killing my FPS, so the quality of that video is crap. You can see what you need to see, though.

3 drowners, the 4th one joins in the middle of the fight. Geralt at level 1. Drowners at level 3 (they are all level 3 in WO):

Zeriel

Arcane
Make a video.
Couldn't find a save where I hadn't yet killed those 4 drowners near the village, so I had to come up with sth else. Also, I had to record in half size, because fraps was killing my FPS, so the quality of that video is crap. You can see what you need to see, though.

3 drowners, the 4th one joins in the middle of the fight. Geralt at level 1. Drowners at level 3 (they are all level 3 in WO):

>using igni
>using strong attack

muh nigga, where'd you learn to witcher like that? the toilet store?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I'm late to the party, but remember when Geralt did all those things in the books and then a peasant with a pitchfork killed him? Good times.

I'm late to the party, but remember when Geralt did all those things in the books and then a peasant with a pitchfork killed him? Good times.
you mean do we still remember that sapkowski had no idea how to finish 5th book so he just killed of his entire team and than "killed" geralt and teleported him and his slut to some shitty misty island? Thats anything but good times.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom