Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Expansion Thread

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Make a video.
Couldn't find a save where I hadn't yet killed those 4 drowners near the village, so I had to come up with sth else. Also, I had to record in half size, because fraps was killing my FPS, so the quality of that video is crap. You can see what you need to see, though.

3 drowners, the 4th one joins in the middle of the fight. Geralt at level 1. Drowners at level 3 (they are all level 3 in WO):

The thing is your video proves that 3+ enemies combat is a button smashing fest. Also you killed them all this time but at the same time the fight could have ended badly.

On the Death March! difficulty every mob is moving faster and your fight would look different. It would be even more chaotic.

Actually I think there is no point in pursuing Death March! difficulty cause it unbalances the game and this shit affects the overall experience.

Edit: I'm an idiot and I'm tired. It's obvious your are an dodge expert. The question is: Is there such a big difference between difficulty levels?

Last edited:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Sorry for double post but ... I fucking hate Novigrad. The city is nice and the architecture is awesome but the avalanche of dull quests is simply unbearable.

The entire Dandelion quest-line is too long for its own sake. The Baron and Keira quest-lines remain the best until now.

Monkeysattva

Cipher
The best quest is on An Skellig

when the new king is crowned, with the druid who you have to "give back his voice."

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Carnal Desire quest... holy fuck. I thought i did it right.
Bravo CDPR. Bravo.

My jaw hit the floor.

You mean Carnal Sins? The one with the serial killer? Because I thought that's one of the worst quests in the game.

Meh. For me the song was average.

Aye, everyone's freaking out about this song but I found it too weepy and waily. Whatever, the rest of the music is absolutely world class (although I wish there were more tracks for Skellige).

Sorry for double post but ... I fucking hate Novigrad. The city is nice and the architecture is awesome but the avalanche of dull quests is simply unbearable.

Yeah, I hated the Dandelion quest. It was too long and too boring. Plus the dude is a douche.

Last edited:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Bravo CDPR. Bravo.

My jaw hit the floor.

You mean Carnal Sins? The one with the serial killer? Because I thought that's one of the worst quests in the game.

I agree on this. But some anonymous guy is describing this better:

First, let me say that I am LOVING this game, way more than I thought I would. It's rocketed to the top of my (very short) GOTY nominees for this year. However, does anyone else think that the mission called "Carnal Sins" was wildly out of place and noticeably and uncharacteristically poorly written?

It takes place after one of the boring "fetch things related to Dandelion" quests that just kind of exist and all of a sudden BOOM, Priscilla's had an unscheduled tracheotomy and I'm in the middle of CSI: Novigrad. I immediately meet a shady doctor who's like "Dude, let's go to the morgue and do a gross autopsy on a dwarf, what part do you want to cut into first" and I'm like "Genitals, duh." Later we meet a shady coroner and the doctor's like "This is my mentor who taught me" and I'm thinking "Wow, he looks younger than you" and the doctor says very suspiciously "You haven't changed in thirty years!" and I (out of game) am immediately like "Well, clearly he's some sort of vampire or something and has access to formaldehyde (which was used in the killings) so he's probably the murderer." But Geralt completely misses the line because he's thinking about boobs or something and it's never brought up in conversation, even when I'm talking about the coroner to the doctor later. I do my cursory investigation and the coroner sends me a message that says "There was totally another murder, come see the autopsy" so I go there and he pulls a note out of the guy's chest that says the name of the next victim (conveniently this is part of the murderer's MO). So I go to her house and she's just been killed and I'm chasing the murderer, and I'm thinking "Ok, maybe I was wrong about the coroner because why would he send me here if he was just going to come here and murder her, and also how did he have time to get here and ritually kill her?" So she's got another note with the next victim's name and I go there and OF COURSE it's a naked woman with a clothed guy in the room, because apparently there is a law against guys actually taking their clothes off ever, and mandates that women be nude at least four hours of every day. I'm no prude but it's a little obvious when you go to a bathhouse and literally every woman is completely naked and every guy is wearing a towel.

Anyway, so the completely clothed guy is torturing the nude woman, but Geralt intelligently deduces that he ISN'T the murderer, even though the woman is gagged and screaming, because he doesn't have his formaldehyde. So he immediately runs off to see the coroner who--SURPRISE--is totally a vampire and if he explains why he sent me to the lady's house even though he was just about to go there and kill her I wasn't listening because I was too embarrassed for the game at that point. Anyway he was EXTREMELY easy to kill even though the glossary had prepared me for a difficult battle and I got a sword which was marginally better than the sword I was using, so yay. I go to see Dandelion and Priscilla to see how she's doing and she's recovering quickly and talking despite the fact that she was LITERALLY STABBED THROUGH THE LARYNX BY A VAMPIRE, and that's never explained in the least, nor is it ever explained how Geralt missed the obvious clue that the doctor gave him about the coroner not aging.

Unspeakable. I actually think that the game sort of lost its way when I got to Novigrad. Quests became boring and the atmosphere became very dull in comparison to what had gone before. I'm hoping things pick up where they left off again now that I'm through with all the dull city quests and I'm about to sail to Skellige.

Perkel

Arcane
Bravo CDPR. Bravo.

My jaw hit the floor.

Just did that quest today. Personally, I found the twist, if you want to call it that way, to be somewhat bullshit.

Why ? By the time i got to the priest i didn't want to question him. I just butchered him. No questions were needed.
This was the mistake.

Game never tells you about outcome. So i sat on my as filled with joy that fucker is dead. Then i find the body and another letter.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Lol, good summary :D

It isn't badly written as such, it just drops the ball in a few places. The sentence "You haven't changed in thirty years" is particularly moronic, it's like someone from Blizzard wrote it. It basically gave away the whole plot right there.

Game never tells you about outcome. So i sat on my as filled with joy that fucker is dead. Then i find the body and another letter.

So how does the quest end if you whack the wrong killer? There are more bodies and eventually you sniff out the right one?

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
In case it hasn't been mentioned yet, avoid the quest King's Gambit on Skellige until it has been fixed. Currently you'll get stuck in an infinite loading screen half-way through.

TedNugent

Arcane
I noticed something when the patch came out. My sign bonus intensity was at around 75%. I thought, that's odd, because my mutagens alone give me +40% times two slots, so it should be >80%.

So I moved both of my blue mutagens off and back on again and suddenly my bonus sign intensity went up to 95%. Noticed a big difference in the effectiveness of signs. Seems like a bug with the intensity stacking. It also seems to reset when I change gear with + sign intensity %.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Bloodborne had same enemies level scaled in different areas as well and it never bothered me the slightest. How is this different or more noticeable?

Really? In Souls games they usually bother to reskin them at the very least. Sometimes tune the AI a bit as well, even though the moveset stays the same.

Gerrard

Arcane
I noticed the game has fake cloud shadows, you get shadows from clouds that don't exist. Pretty sure that TW2 had, if not actual volumetric clouds that would cast shadows, then at least it faked them well.

Also, what the fuck happened to the moon and sun? Why are they 10 times bigger than they should be? Did mentally challenged people work on this game?

Perkel

Arcane
In case it hasn't been mentioned yet, avoid the quest King's Gambit on Skellige until it has been fixed. Currently you'll get stuck in an infinite loading screen half-way through.

Worked for me.
In fact in my 66 hours of gameplay i was talking earlier i never had even single crash/bug/glitch.

I noticed the game has fake cloud shadows, you get shadows from clouds that don't exist. Pretty sure that TW2 had, if not actual volumetric clouds that would cast shadows, then at least it faked them well.

Also, what the fuck happened to the moon and sun? Why are they 10 times bigger than they should be? Did mentally challenged people work on this game?

TW2 didn't have anything volumetric. Cloud shadows were faked same as in TW3. TW2 rendering engine was crude either way as it was really barebones DX9 tech. TW2 looked very good because of mainly art and postproccesing.

TW2 lighting engine compared to TW3 one is completely outdated and it falls apart everytime game changes "colors".

Gerrard

Arcane
TW2 didn't have anything volumetric. Cloud shadows were faked same as in TW3. TW2 rendering engine was crude either way as it was really barebones DX9 tech. TW2 looked very good because of mainly art and postproccesing.

TW2 lighting engine compared to TW3 one is completely outdated and it falls apart everytime game changes "colors".
You sound as retarded as Makabb right now.

Even if the shadows were faked in TW2, at least it has fucking clouds moving across the sun.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane

You sound as retarded as Makabb right now.

Even if the shadows were faked in TW2, at least it has fucking clouds moving across the sun.

Those are exact same thing that TW3 has. Difference here is that TW3 has more states than night day calm/rainy
And yes clouds do move:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Bloodborne had same enemies level scaled in different areas as well and it never bothered me the slightest. How is this different or more noticeable?
That's some lofty standards of deep RPGs you're holding Tit Witcher 3 up to, bro.

Ivan

Arcane
4 hours in:

-game runs great; is beautiful
-combat feels sluggish (it's annoying swinging and missing by a hair against an npc)
-I wish there was a bind key for the World Map

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
- cancel for animation. You can dodge mid swing.

Lies. No matter how much I mash B, Garrett of Rivendell insists on twirling and pirouetting into certain death.
Lies double, can cancel swing by dodging.

Also lol gamepad.

Lies triple. Tested after I came home. You can't animation cancel until after the swing lands/misses. (So you can cancel the follow-through). But the enemies usually hit while you're doing the dumbass twirling pirouette thing. That can't be cancelled.

And yeah. I play console games with a game pad. Even the ones ported to pc. Problem? :smug:

SumDrunkGuy

Well Bloodborne's enemies aren't retarded for one, so it's a bit more forgivable. And also what that other dude said about different skins.

That's some lofty standards of deep RPGs you're holding Tit Witcher 3 up to, bro.

Are you schizophrenic or something? Who said anything about Bloodborne being a deep RPG? I mean sure it's better than this sloppily thrown together shit-heap, like, in every conceivable way possible, but it's not a deep RPG. It barely fucking qualifies as a RPG. Who made that claim?

Perkel

Arcane
Lies triple. Tested after I came home. You can't animation cancel until after the swing lands/misses. (So you can cancel the follow-through). But the enemies usually hit while you're doing the dumbass twirling pirouette thing. That can't be cancelled.

And yeah. I play console games with a game pad. Even the ones ported to pc. Problem? :smug:

You can cancel animation before geralt will in full swing. That is how cancelation should work and how it works in other combat games.
Cancelling anim when he is almost done with swing would be stupid.

Perkel

Arcane
18118440036_8a7252b5bf_o.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom