Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Comrade Goby

Magister
Project: Eternity
It was on PC. Dev on twitter confirmed. Mix if high and ultra.

Either way aside from IGN shitty vid quality it looked v good.

i see xbox icons everywhere, but if this was PC i'm not impressed.
85d73a049345a2eb45c8cce28e26a49e.png
Sorry about that.

Fucking N64 graphics game

Perkel

Arcane
Looks good, plays good, ...hell, might even be good.

Gameplay being good would be first time for CDPR. Both TW1 and TW2 did look good and things like story dialogs were not problems in TW series usually blowing away most of RPGs including ton of older better ones than modern.

hiver

What can i say, i liked how he got killed by the Ghouls.

if they didnt fuck up the quests and the Witchering... i might even tolerate any other silly stuff.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
The combat animations are retarded,, if i attack he should swing his sword and not do 3 flips with his body and then swing his sword, but i guess that is a must have for the console crowd.

Gerrard

Arcane
Unicorn ? Heh looks like Yennefer didn't loose her memory.

Thoughts on video:

- As per usually stellar writing
Really? I thought the dialogues were terrible, they are as awkward as the English version of TW1.

Perkel

Arcane
Really? I thought the dialogues were terrible, they are as awkward as the English version of TW1.

Because you played english version.

Polish version of tw1 both writing and voice acting are superb. Problem was that Atari butchered it.

They mostly fixed by TW2 but on other hand they also improved a lot writing and VO in polish version of TW2 sp those improvements to english version are still several levels below polish version.

Generally sapkowski writing is very hard to convert to english and only few translators managed to do good job (all of them are not eng). There is also a problem with general polish to english translation. For exaple in potato language you could write whole A4 mini adventure using different forms of kurwa and nothing else. Dependin also how it is used kurwa could be positive negative as slur as complement as generally almost everything. Then there is share own thought out words like chedorz sie (plough yourself in tw), rzyc (arse) and other who aren't used in polish beside people who read sapkowski tw saga. So translator needs to essentially try to create new words in translation trying to convey what writer wanted to convey.

Ok that is a book. How it ties to games ?

CDPR or CDPROJECT are first company in poland that started to translate golden era rpgs, and they didn't do it in early west gaming way (shitting up translation or literally making up stories because they couldn't read japanese). They tackled problem head on hiring best actors for roles (not best earning ones) and brilliant translators.

Because above for example BG2 has better voice acting in better quality than native english version (aside from few npcs characters had severe problems and quality issues.

So when tw hit and it was their own product they wanted to do justice to source material.

Aside from very few lore problems they did amazing job and so far tw2 is the best written polisg game and beats almost anything in gamong aside from very few.

Console retardation is completely other topic and like i said somewhere earlier i agree that it would be better if they would go into proper crpg direction than mass effect shit.

Perkel

Arcane
As a ROLE PLAYING game even mass effect is superior to witcher.

As roleplaying game tw1 is better than almost anything.

So far in gaming only tw1 deployed system in which second part of c&c comes after hours not minutes making you acnoweladge choices you made.

Tw2scaled back that system but at same time it literally split game in half in act2 and by act 3 choices made in earlier act made act3 almost completely different to every person playing.

Problem with tw2 was that choices made had biggest impact on backgroud not on main characters.

Neverless you need to play literally twice to see most of content where in normal tpg you could do most of stuff in one playtrough skyrim way being anyonecand taking every quest.

We can say that sandbox rpgs have more variety but personal stories of set characters also can be amazing in rp sense and tw2 even if there are far less dialog trees is good rpg in rp sense

Beowulf

Arcane
Then there is share own thought out words like chedorz sie (plough yourself in tw), rzyc (arse) and other who aren't used in polish beside people who read sapkowski tw saga. So translator needs to essentially try to create new words in translation trying to convey what writer wanted to convey.

You must have been asleep on your Polish lessons, or didn't read old classics enough:M

Granted, Sapkowski made those (and some) expressions more popular and put them in more modern context (he himself admitted fondness for polish old polish literature in some of the interviews).
Anyway - you are right about Witcher 1 and 2 having very good voice acting in polish editions of those games. Judging from what I've seen on youtube, I dare to say, that I like polish version somewhat more.

As to what was lost in translation - no clue; but writing in Witcher 2 (and the first one, for that matter) had a lot of allusions to polish culture (be that moving pictures, books, or any other medium), current political events and history. I doubt I would hold it in so high regard, when I wouldn't have been able to catch all those nuances.[/QUOTE]

Beowulf

Arcane
Too bad all those options led to the same response.

Finishing PoE as we speak. There are some "dialogues", when you can choose from 6+ answers, but regardless of what you pick your interlocutor will still say the same thing (or with a cosmetic change, but to the same effect).
If that's the case, I'd prefer having two "real" branches, than one, but slightly different flavours.

Perkel

Arcane

Yeah he is using old polish but also creates words.

As of english translation i was talking mainly about translating small things which are important to conversation but very hard to translate.

For example geralt, tris, dendelion in english version mostly sound the same using mostly the same english. Where in polish version each of them have distinct type of language.

Tris has very dignified talk type (which is normal for her status), dendelion is a bard and his words are way more "rich" in his dialogues and geralt talks rary but with very sharp words.

Even if you translate ot literally you can lose integral part of character.

Tw2 eng version is way better than tw1 version but most of the time you can't tell status of a person on few dialogue lined where in polish version tris in slmost each line uses different words for same things which tells story about her backgroud.

Gerrard

Arcane

Because you played english version.
Thanks for posting a completely irrelevant wall of text. We're talking about the video, which is in English. And yes the English version of TW1 was bad, WHICH IS WHY I SAID THAT.

Except the language has no relevance to how stiff and awkward the dialogues sound right now, and TW2 wasn't that bad.

Perkel

Arcane
Best way to gove example is to take PST and Annah character. Way she talks on english is very different to other characters.

Each character in polish version have that kind of baggage which is mostly lost on translation.

moon knight

Matt7895's alt
The combat animations are retarded,, if i attack he should swing his sword and not do 3 flips with his body and then swing his sword, but i guess that is a must have for the console crowd.

No, it is just the opposite. Geralt have to do flips and pirouettes, because this is the witcher's combat style.

Perkel

Arcane
I see TW3 continues with only two dialogue options. Ffs even mass effect 2 had more options on a fucking dialogue wheel:lol:

TW is mostly about C&C rather than dialogue trees. Since characters are literally set characters from books so it's not like you could make out of Geralt mass murderer in Fallout esque way without braking his character and because those C&Cs don't resolve after choice it creates some sort of web that is different to other RPGs.

Take for example recent game Pillars of Eternity and first "dungeon".

You have binary choice: Stay and rest or move out.

If you choose A - after rest you loose companion.
If you choose B - you don't loose companion but other companion is worse because of it.

If you would aplly same choice but with TW1 system:

If you choose A - you rest and near the end of dungeon you lose companion (i am fed up with you i will go alone !)
If you choose B - other companion after a while will get severe health problem.

Each of those choices are esentially the same but only TW1 style choices make you stick to your choise since you can't simply reload and pick different choice.

As i heard from few interviews developers agreed that TW2 C&C focused to much on background rather than on foreground thus loosing part of what made TW1 C&C system so good and in many reviews made remarks that they will try to do like in TW1 C&C where consequence part of choice will come much later.

I see TW3 continues with only two dialogue options. Ffs even mass effect 2 had more options on a fucking dialogue wheel:lol:

Implying that renegade/ paragon options had the same result:roll:

Mass_Effect_3.jpg
What the fuck has me3 ending to do with me2 dialogues and quests?
nothing, your choices did not matter at all in the end:troll:

TW is mostly about C&C rather than dialogue trees. Since characters are literally set characters from books so it's not like you could make out of Geralt mass murderer in Fallout esque way without braking his character and because those C&Cs don't resolve after choice it creates some sort of web that is different to other RPGs.

Take for example recent game Pillars of Eternity and first "dungeon".

You have binary choice: Stay and rest or move out.

If you choose A - after rest you loose companion.
If you choose B - you don't loose companion but other companion is worse because of it.

If you would aplly same choice but with TW1 system:

If you choose A - you rest and near the end of dungeon you lose companion (i am fed up with you i will go alone !)
If you choose B - other companion after a while will get severe health problem.

Each of those choices are esentially the same but only TW1 style choices make you stick to your choise since you can't simply reload and pick different choice.

As i heard from few interviews developers agreed that TW2 C&C focused to much on background rather than on foreground thus loosing part of what made TW1 C&C system so good and in many reviews made remarks that they will try to do like in TW1 C&C where consequence part of choice will come much later.
You man those awesome c&c in tw1 where i simply got best armour from different npc?:lol: Or those in tw2 where no matter what i do in 3rd act triss gets her ass saved? C&c in twicher games are all about substituting npcs :M

Anyway I was criticizing streamlined tw2 dialogues cause they are even worse than fucking dragon age 2 dialogue wheel. 1/3 rd of them are simple binary choices and half of the rest is you watching cutscene where geralt talks without any of players input. At least you dont have to click "continue" like in NWN1 :salute:

Sodafish

Arcane
Combat looks nice, although I hope you can turn off that awezum slomo execution shit. That will get annoying fast.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom