Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's like DA: O all over again. Might as well be have some Polish translation of "Are you mother fucking ready!!!"

I particularly liked how one of the dirty peasants with a spear, fighting Geralt, did some one leg leap 3 feet into the air like he was some sort of reincarnation of Achilles. They done fucked it up son.

Well, Geralt was murdered by a peasant once.

hiver

Kinda ridiculous seeing Geralt wear plate armor, though, or at least pieces of it. Isn't that armor heavy and cumbersome and the whole point of witcher fighting styles is, like, being fast and agile?

in movies perhaps. full plate armor wasn't that heavy and you could easily jump, run, do cartwheels and so on.

"Cumberstone" part was that in sun metal quickly gets hot and inside of it you have something like kitchen. Same with cold. Another part of that is that when you walk 20miles then you should do it without armor or on horse. But that is full plate. If you had something like breasplate + mail then you would be essentially super protected and you would be able to be fast almost as dude without armor.

Basically it was like spear. Its only downsides were that you couldn't take it to nearest pub

Where the fuck did you get that out from?

Carthweels? for fuck sake... to what length will people go to excuse some shit entertainment they like... for fuck sake...

There's another video where he does cartwheels. The idea of plate turning you into a monolith is a balance measure for games. Geralt is above the average human's strength, anyway. He'd probably be pretty mobile even if he used a full suit like the guy in the video.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
Kinda ridiculous seeing Geralt wear plate armor, though, or at least pieces of it. Isn't that armor heavy and cumbersome and the whole point of witcher fighting styles is, like, being fast and agile?

in movies perhaps. full plate armor wasn't that heavy and you could easily jump, run, do cartwheels and so on.

"Cumberstone" part was that in sun metal quickly gets hot and inside of it you have something like kitchen. Same with cold. Another part of that is that when you walk 20miles then you should do it without armor or on horse. But that is full plate. If you had something like breasplate + mail then you would be essentially super protected and you would be able to be fast almost as dude without armor.

Basically it was like spear. Its only downsides were that you couldn't take it to nearest pub

Carthweels? for fuck sake... to what length will people go to excuse some shit entertainment they like... for fuck sake...

Did any of you tried to wear a full plate armor or any armor of any kind? No? Then shut the fuck up and stop pretending like you know your shit.

Geralt is a mutant who can shot fire,slow time,blow air from his asshole and you tell me he can't wear a 40 pound armor because you don't feel like he can't?

pippin

There's another video where he does cartwheels. The idea of plate turning you into a monolith is a balance measure for games. Geralt is above the average human's strength, anyway. He'd probably be pretty mobile even if he used a full suit like the guy in the video.

Mobility was a problem when it came to late medieval european warfare- the british won at Agincourt because french knights were too heavy to move quickly enough in the muddy battlefield.

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.

I'll be your reasonable response. Full plate wasn't that heavy. There is a lot of myths out there about knights being unable to get up after falling over or being lifted by cranes onto horses. Yeah that didn't happen.

It's one of those myths that gets circulated around so much people just automatically believe. Like... The eskimo's having 80 different words for snow (they don't, it is in fact variations of the word snow.... much like English e.g. snowing, snowed, snowstorm, snowy, icy, ice.), or that humans only use X% of their brain (we use all of it, no hidden potential for psychic powers is hiding inside our skulls). It's all complete and utter bullshit. Follow any such rumor to its original source, and you find some retarded journalist or tv presenter who in his desire to shock and amaze, twists information given from an actual professional to an absolutely surreal level of dumbfuckery. People watch or read said piece of information, and OMG much information, wow, so clever.

That's not to say plate armor was light. It would still slow you down, its harder to breathe with a helm on, the joints can jam up etc. But it's not any worse than what most modern military army service men have to put up with.

Mobility was a problem when it came to late medieval european warfare- the british won at Agincourt because french knights were too heavy to move quickly enough in the muddy battlefield.

Correct, but that's because of environmental conditions making it a bad choice for the occasion and not because the armor itself was badly designed and turned them into statues.

Perkel

Arcane

proper full plate armor not done by some hack provides full movement of all joints.
Full steel plate would weight 15-25 kg which is less than modern infantry equipment and what is most important it was spread through whole body evenly so if you had 15kg plate you wouldn't really feel it that much

It was made for a war not for a fucking faggot stone figure walks like in movies so it had to be light and at the same time provide full movement. In reality soldier in full plate would be just little bit slower than unarmored soldier.

Original full plate armor set (owned by polish king) along with DLC horse armor.

Royal_armoury_Stockholm_1.jpg

That's not to say plate armor was light. It would still slow you down, its harder to breathe with a helm on, the joints can jam up etc. But it's not any worse than what most modern military army service men have to put up with.

Actually it is fine for breathing. I tried full plate and most of air i breathed was inhaled by vents in front of mouth.
But yes it would be major problem in hot sun. This is also why there were so many types of helms. Some people prefered more open ones, some prefered completely closed ones.

Did any of you tried to wear a full plate armor or any armor of any kind? No? Then shut the fuck up and stop pretending like you know your shit.

Geralt is a mutant who can shot fire,slow time,blow air from his asshole and you tell me he can't wear a 40 pound armor because you don't feel like he can't?

Actually i wore full plate along with several other (trip with friends in college) If you are in poland in several places there are museums that don't mind people trying out that stuff and ton of medieval weapons you can dick around with.

Most awesome was chainmail + breastplate. Basically felt like you wore heavy clothes not armor.

Full plate doesn't mean what most of people think.
People think that full plate mean that even joints are some kind of hard shaped thing. Far from truth. Sure some design had those (but they were not common) but most of the time you didn't really need anything other than trousers as front was fully secure by extended boots(?) and you would need to be really unlucky to get hit in back of joint. As for upper joins mail would do without problem.

So you have basically shaped hard metal where you don't have joints thus 0 movement problems.

Last edited:

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space

It's like DA: O all over again. Might as well be have some Polish translation of "Are you mother fucking ready!!!"

I particularly liked how one of the dirty peasants with a spear, fighting Geralt, did some one leg leap 3 feet into the air like he was some sort of reincarnation of Achilles. They done fucked it up son.

Actually this is fairly accurate.. Polish farmers from the mid 1600's were commonly trained by a roman soldier from each city in the art of air lunge warfare where the katana could actually cut through 3 inches of steel in one swipe and could slice bullets in half, I also have no idea what I am talking about and hate when history nerds devolve every conversation into this bullshit.

Perkel

Arcane
Is that polish armour based on the Lion armour set?
7076352219_f99fa3ed90.jpg

Naaah ornamental sets for kings and higher nobility were pretty much similar in design because most of the time they were made mostly by same people.

But that plate looks great though. Still it would be probably worse in actual battle than normal basic plate due to all those crap decorations weight. Steel wasn't really good material to sculpt so i assume those sculptures are from different metal heavier one.

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.

Actually this is fairly accurate.. Polish farmers from the mid 1600's were commonly trained by a roman soldier from each city in the art of air lunge warfare where the katana could actually cut through 3 inches of steel in one swipe and could slice bullets in half, I also have no idea what I am talking about and hate when history nerds devolve every conversation into this bullshit.

Tis not about historical accuracy my son. When thou chooseth to entertain 'A for awesome' popamoleth, thou incites the devil to entereth one's heart. Thou yonder beholdeth :decline: and the masses do despair.

Perkel

Arcane
Another myth:
Archers were weak.

Reality.
Average archer had better musculature than average foot soldier or knight.

Average archer had to sustain fire and be accurate shooting from 50-60kg draw warbow (some had even 80kg draw!!!).

A modern longbow's draw is typically 25kg or less, and by modern convention measured at 28 inches (71.1 cm). Historically, hunting bows usually had draw weights of 25-28 kg (220–270 N), which is enough for all but the very largest game and which most reasonably fit adults can manage with practice. Today, there are few modern longbowmen capable of using 80 kg (800–820 N) bows accurately.[10][11]

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Another myth:
Archers were weak.

Reality.
Average archer had better musculature than average foot soldier or knight.

Average archer had to sustain fire and be accurate shooting from 50-60kg draw warbow (some had even 80kg draw!!!).

A modern longbow's draw is typically 25kg or less, and by modern convention measured at 28 inches (71.1 cm). Historically, hunting bows usually had draw weights of 25-28 kg (220–270 N), which is enough for all but the very largest game and which most reasonably fit adults can manage with practice. Today, there are few modern longbowmen capable of using 80 kg (800–820 N) bows accurately.[10][11]

Okay this was actually interesting to read.. but explain why Might affects Fire arm damage.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
In b4 Dual Flintlock with Silver Bullet in Witcher 4

Perkel

Arcane
Another myth:
Archers were weak.

Okay this was actually interesting to read.. but explain why Might affects Fire arm damage.

Well PoE might idea imo is bad but reasoning behind is sound. Might isn't strength. It is simply how good you are naturally in combat (technique ?). So better aiming, better swings, better chanting etc.

In b4 Dual Flintlock with Silver Bullet in Witcher 4

They had ninja stars in books sooo....

also TW world is set just before start of industrial revolution so muskets and stuff like that wouldn't be that far fetched.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Will this game have combo attacks unlocked like Arkham Asylum?
Or will I continue to abuse the same move from the start till finish?

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Maybe better aiming causes you to hit squishier bits, thus causing more damage? idk, damage and HP are already pretty abstract to begin with.

I'm just being antagonistic, I don't care one ounce how realistic my RPG's are when it comes to stat abstractions.. I can think of a list of things wrong with PoE and Might being a poor abstraction for damage on long ranged weapons doesn't even come close to something important to me.

hiver

Shut your retarded hole your fucking stupid turd and dont speak unless you are spoken to! You fucking brainless cheap shit.

proper full plate armor not done by some hack provides full movement of all joints.
Full steel plate would weight 15-25 kg which is less than modern infantry equipment and what is most important it was spread through whole body evenly so if you had 15kg plate you wouldn't really feel it that much

It was made for a war not for a fucking faggot stone figure walks like in movies so it had to be light and at the same time provide full movement. In reality soldier in full plate would be just little bit slower than unarmored soldier.

Original full plate armor set (owned by polish king) along with DLC horse armor.

Royal_armoury_Stockholm_1.jpg

I am very well aware that plate armor was not as prohibitive or as heavy as some people think... unless it was a heavy plate armor which you know... was extra heavy, but it sure as hell was not something you would do fucking cartwheels in.

Plate armor does not provide full movement of ALL joints, which is EXACTLY what can be observed in that fucking stupid video you yourself posted - WHICH IS NOT FULL METAL PLATE ARMOR AT ALL.
Look at that fucking picture above!

Another big difference is between a guy dicking around in parts of a half plate without helmet for five minutes and someone engaged in fucking deadly combat which require maximal physical extortion and therefore depletes stamina extremely quickly.

And then that 15-20 kilos of stiff armor - which always includes various other protective clothing underneath tends to become a MUCH BIGGER PROBLEM.

Now, as your precious witcher is concerned i dont give a flying fuck what he wears and how many fucking cartwheels he makes in this stupid fucking game.
But dont go around trying to create your fucking version of reality just so you can feel better about the fucking action fantasy game - because inventing idiotic things about real armors and real fucking use and effects of them have nothing to fucking do with this fucking video game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom