Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Telltale Presents The Witcher

bonescraper

Although once again it comes to mind that artificially forcing all these RPG mechanics in is somewhat detrimental to the game, and it would be better if they made it more of an action-adventure.

I completely agree. While reading your post, I found myself thinking the exact same, and then you dropped that line.

In fact, that's what TW2 feels like, a story-driven action-adventure with skilltrees. Maybe they should just focus on that, and drop the shitty, vague RPG elements altogether.
But it pretty much is exactly that. This game is very much like let's say, Ass Creed IV: Black Flag. TW3 has dialogue options, loot and plenty of C&C on top of that, and i definitely wouldn't want those elements out.

Sykar

Arcane
I heard Iwinski is selling CDPR to EA. Next Witcher gonna be an MMO FPS in space with dialogue wheel and visceral combat.

tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
But it pretty much is exactly that. This game is very much like let's say, Ass Creed IV: Black Flag. TW3 has dialogue options, loot and plenty of C&C on top of that, and i definitely wouldn't want those elements out.

:nocountryforshitposters:

Call me oldfashioned but I'm pretty sure C&C, dialogue options and character development is precisely what turns an action adventure into an RPG.

bonescraper

I heard Iwinski is selling CDPR to EA. Next Witcher gonna be an MMO FPS in space with dialogue wheel and visceral combat.

:nocountryforshitposters:

Call me oldfashioned but I'm pretty sure C&C, dialogue options and character development is precisely what turns an action adventure into an RPG.
Then why would anyone want those out? Action adventure games keep gaining features and RPGs should lose them? The fuck?

Gerrard

Arcane
God, SSAO still looks like shit. I wish there was an option to only have it on static objects and not characters.

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
Obviously, having more armour types in the game is better for many gamers' perspective, and CDPR clearly does not give a shit about book lore when moving away from it makes better gameplay (in their opinion). For me, it would be great if there were five types of armour in the game (Gothic style, woohoo) and if wearing breastplate would mean you lose enough edge to not be able to dodge those superhumanly fast monsters (which should one-shot you, basically), but I do understand that designers want to give people more options. Although once again it comes to mind that artificially forcing all these RPG mechanics in is somewhat detrimental to the game, and it would be better if they made it more of an action-adventure.

Maybe they should do what they've did with swords.

Steel for Humans. Silver for monsters.

Plate for Humans. Leather for monsters.

jk, it's shit idea

ZagorTeNej

Arcane

No, it isn't exactly like that. I don't play Ass Creed (well I did the first one and it was a sleep-inducing experience so I never bothered with sequels) but in action adventures your character is more or less set in terms of power and ability while in both Witchers Geralt's power increases drastically the further you are into the game which makes no sense lore-wise. Standard RPG progression just isn't a good fit when your protagonist is someone like Geralt.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
OK, I am pretty sure you guys are all talking past each other

I THINK what at least one person here is trying to say is that the game should remove all stats, but keep the C&C elements, as supposedly seen in action-adventure games like AC4: Black Flag.

Gerrard

Arcane
God, SSAO still looks like shit. I wish there was an option to only have it on static objects and not characters.

there will be few modes for ssao including superior hbao
Does it actually look better though? I know it's supposed to be faster.

This is so cheap and distasteful. Showing Geralts ass to attract all those Bioware faggots playing lgbt gangbang simulators. It's so fucking bad CDPR, you should be ashamed. Really.
Watch the video and see the bathing scene at the start if you think that's bad.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
I THINK what at least one person here is trying to say is that the game should remove all stats, but keep the C&C elements, as supposedly seen in action-adventure games like AC4: Black Flag.

More or less, yes (though I have no idea if AC4 has C&C). I'd be fine with Geralt learning some new moves to expand his options in combat similar to Batman Arkham games but not much more than that. I don't want to start the game having to use 5+ hits to kill a regular soldier and end up one-hitting Dragons, I don't have particular fondness for such character progression in general but I especially dislike it in this case.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom