Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
Did any of you tried to wear a full plate armor or any armor of any kind? No? Then shut the fuck up and stop pretending like you know your shit.
Geralt is a mutant who can shot fire,slow time,blow air from his asshole and you tell me he can't wear a 40 pound armor because you don't feel like he can't?
Shut your retarded hole your fucking stupid turd and dont speak unless you are spoken to! You fucking brainless cheap shit.

Where the fuck did you get that out from?

Carthweels? for fuck sake... to what length will people go to excuse some shit entertainment they like... for fuck sake...

proper full plate armor not done by some hack provides full movement of all joints.
Full steel plate would weight 15-25 kg which is less than modern infantry equipment and what is most important it was spread through whole body evenly so if you had 15kg plate you wouldn't really feel it that much

It was made for a war not for a fucking faggot stone figure walks like in movies so it had to be light and at the same time provide full movement. In reality soldier in full plate would be just little bit slower than unarmored soldier.

Original full plate armor set (owned by polish king) along with DLC horse armor.

Royal_armoury_Stockholm_1.jpg

I am very well aware that plate armor was not as prohibitive or as heavy as some people think... unless it was a heavy plate armor which you know... was extra heavy, but it sure as hell was not something you would do fucking cartwheels in.

Plate armor does not provide full movement of ALL joints, which is EXACTLY what can be observed in that fucking stupid video you yourself posted - WHICH IS NOT FULL METAL PLATE ARMOR AT ALL.
Look at that fucking picture above!

Another big difference is between a guy dicking around in parts of a half plate without helmet for five minutes and someone engaged in fucking deadly combat which require maximal physical extortion and therefore depletes stamina extremely quickly.

And then that 15-20 kilos of stiff armor - which always includes various other protective clothing underneath tends to become a MUCH BIGGER PROBLEM.

Now, as your precious witcher is concerned i dont give a flying fuck what he wears and how many fucking cartwheels he makes in this stupid fucking game.
But dont go around trying to create your fucking version of reality just so you can feel better about the fucking action fantasy game - because inventing idiotic things about real armors and real fucking use and effects of them have nothing to fucking do with this fucking video game.

I like how you keep talking like you know exactly how it feels to wear one.That's what i really love about people these days,they keep talking like they experienced everything in life ,yet they never left their fucking dungeon since they were born.Don't even know why i bothered to reply to such a fucking dumb creature.

hiver

Do you know how it feels to wear one? Does someone even need to actually wear fucking plate armor to know how it affects movement and stamina?
Do you think it is not possible to learn something by fucking reading about it?

Then what the fuck are you talking about you cretinous fucking imbecile?? Who the fuck asked you anything? And who the fuck told you to go screaming around about other peoples posts like you are some goddamn sheriff telling anyone what they are supposed to talk about?!?
SHUT THE FUCK UP!

Another myth:
Archers were weak.
Who the fuck ever said that archers are weak?
What the fuck are you talking about?

Reality.
Average archer had better musculature than average foot soldier or knight.
whaaaat?

Thats "reality" is it?
You just write reality and put a punctuation point behind it and thats it! Reality. Bam!

What the fuck is average and how the fuck do you know who is average or not?

Last edited by a moderator:

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
Do you know how it feels to wear one? Does someone even need to actually wear fucking plate armor to know how it affects movement and stamina?
Do you think it is not possible to learn something by fucking reading about it?

Then what the fuck are you talking about you cretinous fucking imbecile?? Who the fuck asked you anything? And who the fuck told you to go screaming around about other peoples posts like you are some goddamn sheriff telling anyone what they are supposed to talk about?!?
SHUT THE FUCK UP!
Hearing and reading about something does not qualify as perceiving or experiencing it.I hate people like you,the ''know it all'' type that spew bullshit everywhere they go like they experienced everything in life,then they tell you ''Oh i read about it in some book 20 years ago''.
Piss off and stop making a fool out of yourself.

hiver

Hearing and reading about something does not qualify as perceiving or experiencing it.I hate people like you,the ''know it all'' type that spew bullshit everywhere they go like they experienced everything in life,then they tell you ''Oh i read about it in some book 20 years ago''.
Piss off and stop making a fool out of yourself.
I dont know everything you fucking cretinous stupid turd. What you hate is your own fucking stupid brain thats splurging those idiotic fucking ideas.
Have you ever fucking heard of studying something? Going to school?
No?

well shut the fuck up you stupid fucking moron.

Conan did a thing about this.

Conan is cool.

Stupid. But cool.

Not a lot of people can claim that achievement.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
It is not that plate rmor is very movement restrictive on the battlefield, but in the context of The Witcher (book lore), wearing it makes no sense. Geralt was always an extreme case of agility and mobility, 'strike and not be striked' kind of fighter. That was because no armor would protect him from super-strong monsters, and dodging their attacks was the only defence he had available. Even parrying was out of the question, as his silver sword was too brittle for that, and most of the monsters were so strong that it would do no good anyway. The only 'monster parrying' he had done was grazing them with the blade to cause pain and recoil (silver was harmful to them). He would really only parry with his steel sword, when fighting humans.

Geralt was also never mentioned to be superhumanly strong, he was just pretty strong for a human. Something like 7/10, maybe 8. ;)

In books he only wore leather, to get some general protection and not leave skin exposed (because many monsters he fought were poisonous?), but I do not remember any instance when it was mentioned that his 'armour' saved him from an attack that would otherwise be deadly/crippling/whatever (might be a case faulty memory, though). He never even considered wearing anything heavier, because it was clear from context that would be suicide.

Obviously, having more armour types in the game is better for many gamers' perspective, and CDPR clearly does not give a shit about book lore when moving away from it makes better gameplay (in their opinion). For me, it would be great if there were five types of armour in the game (Gothic style, woohoo) and if wearing breastplate would mean you lose enough edge to not be able to dodge those superhumanly fast monsters (which should one-shot you, basically), but I do understand that designers want to give people more options. Although once again it comes to mind that artificially forcing all these RPG mechanics in is somewhat detrimental to the game, and it would be better if they made it more of an action-adventure.

And maybe fans will make a Lore Accurate Rebalance Patch (L.A.R.P.) at some point.

hiver

That was actually a very good episode. Made me lol a lot. Unicorn secx :lol:

At least he is honest about how much he is invested and what actually attracts players in this game. What will be the though process of most of its players.
Surprising to see the other guy actually knowing the finer details of the canon lore.

Talk about armors is unnecessary crap. The games never followed lore that closely since the beginning so it makes no fucking sense to complain about it now. Especially for a fucking action game with thousands of combat encounters.

Last edited by a moderator:

made

Arcane
If we're talking realism here, Geralt should definitely be dual wielding Katanas instead of those lame longswords of his since they've been proven on numerous occasions to offer superior penetration - especially if you need to fight ice golems and such.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
If we're talking realism here, Geralt should definitely be dual wielding Katanas instead of those lame longswords of his since they've been proven on numerous occasions to offer superior penetration - especially if you need to fight ice golems and such.

Nah, he should Igni his sword.

hiver

We are not talking realism.

Its just that Perkel tried to distort realism in order to excuse things in the game, which makes no sense anyway and is nothing but hypocrisy.

made

Arcane

Nah, he should Igni his sword.
Please, take your animu crap elsewhere. This is serious discussion.

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
Geralt does plenty of pest control in the games, in the form of the monster hunting contracts he gets in every new location. And those are the weakest parts of the games imo. I hated going in circle in that fucking valley looking for noonwraiths in TW1.

In TW3, monster hunting is a more fleshed-out experience, with unique monsters that behave like bosses, with emphasis on preparation and investigation (so they say) before the encounter. I fully support this approach.

I didn't explain this well. The investigation, the monster behaviour, necessary preparation (although WH removes drinking potions only before combat, which is a nice meta restriction), all great! My issue is with the bosses looking like actual bosses, and their visual and functional design. They're very colourful and very mythological. Griffin looks like a griffin, cyclops looks like a cyclops. The books had the monsters be completely new, or things we would recognize by name, but not by looks. A griffin in the style of the books might be a quadruped dino bird, one that developed wings from a third pair of limbs (additional limbs could be magical mutation). A cyclops in the book style could be a great ape with a prominent skin mark in the middle of its forehead, perhaps a heat sensing patch, or an echo location hole. Or it might not be a mammal at all, instead it's a giant land squid, cohabitating in a mass of poisonous fungus, with tentacles and probosces and one giant squid eye.

Certainly, the mythological creatures are there, Geralt meets a powerful ancient elf, BUT, the elf lives in a cave and confuses humans by painting blue bison on its walls. Geralt meets a fertility goddess, but is she really a mythological god as we understand them? Or is she a being from another dimension that's lived in this world for thousands of years?

I don't think I remember any actual undead from the books. Ghouls? Sure, they're living corpse eaters though. Vampires? Not really undead. Ghosts? (I'm not sure) Demons especially are described as irrational incredibly Other beings from other dimensions, that almost never appear and can (supposedly) only be dragged into this dimension by the most powerful sorcerers. (yet W1 has you fighting quite a few elemental demons at the end, iirc)

I'm not saying it's bad what they're doing, just that I enjoyed this design approach to monsters more, like the endregas and arachas and the kayran and so on.

Geralt was also never mentioned to be superhumanly strong, he was just pretty strong for a human. Something like 7/10, maybe 8.

Assuming that's the level of someone like a special forces soldier, still doesn't sound like it's enough. Even though it's fantasy and he has potions and enhanced senses, wouldn't he have to be more than simply "pretty strong human" to make a living out of fighting big ass monsters with swords? Just the effort needed to dodge their attacks would require him to be on Batman levels.

Stompa

Arcane
yet W1 has you fighting quite a few elemental demons at the end, iirc

The only elementals in W1 were stated to be fire-based variety of djinns. The last segment with ice and shit was Jacques de Aldersberg's mental dungeon, so that doesn't quite count.

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Geralt was also never mentioned to be superhumanly strong, he was just pretty strong for a human. Something like 7/10, maybe 8.

Assuming that's the level of someone like a special forces soldier, still doesn't sound like it's enough. Even though it's fantasy and he has potions and enhanced senses, wouldn't he have to be more than simply "pretty strong human" to make a living out of fighting big ass monsters with swords? Just the effort needed to dodge their attacks would require him to be on Batman levels.

He's actually THE STRONKEST PERSON 11/10 because of his mutations and constant training but easily increases his power level by drinking potions and shit. One of my favorite moments from the first book (Blood of Elves) of Witcher saga was when a group of extremely well trained and efficient mercenary swordsmen (who worked in two coordinated pairs) attack Geralt in the middle of the night. The fight was tense because they were THE SHEEEET but they still got cut down by our beloved sorceress fucker. The sheer terror of realizing (it was told from the perspective of their leader) that some douchebag has hired them to attack a MONSTA SLAYA ON STEROIDS was simply glorious.

TL;DR - Witchers are only in danger when they are facing monsters (who are, in most cases, on their own turf) or are attacked by humanoid suckers in numbers or unprepared (or preferably for them, both).

Gerrard

Arcane
The problem with the games is that they have a monster hiding behind every tree and under every rock, while in the books Geralt many times said that there's barely any work for witchers left in the north because of human expansion.

Disgruntled

Savant
I want to like W3, I really do. But these videos coming out all make it look so generic and mmoish.
3rd person fantasy littered with a myriad of UI markers turns me off so much these days.

Wish I was in the market for a gtx 970 so I could have it with no buyers regret (inb4 3.5gb jokes)

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
He's actually THE STRONKEST PERSON 11/10 because of his mutations and constant training but easily increases his power level by drinking potions and shit. One of my favorite moments from the first book (Blood of Elves) of Witcher saga was when a group of extremely well trained and efficient mercenary swordsmen (who worked in two coordinated pairs) attack Geralt in the middle of the night. The fight was tense because they were THE SHEEEET but they still got cut down by our beloved sorceress fucker.

Yeah I can imagine even a group of four fucking Mountains wouldn't stand a chance against a dude that can paralyze you, set you on fire and then fus-ro-dah you over a cliff edge.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Although once again it comes to mind that artificially forcing all these RPG mechanics in is somewhat detrimental to the game, and it would be better if they made it more of an action-adventure.

I completely agree. While reading your post, I found myself thinking the exact same, and then you dropped that line.

In fact, that's what TW2 feels like, a story-driven action-adventure with skilltrees. Maybe they should just focus on that, and drop the shitty, vague RPG elements altogether.

One main problem with the Witcher is that, well, one is forced to play as Geralt and none other. Consequently, being forced to fight as Geralt forces the player to rely heavily on sword combat, because that's what Geralt does. Even the signs are vastly overplayed, in the game, compared to the books.

I wonder if, for this game, they couldn't just let the player "roll" a witcher of their choice (which would justify stats, skills, armour types), and keep Geralt as part of the storyline or something. Yes, I think they should just keep the lore (the world is just awesome and lively, and brimming with opportunities for creating characters and storylines) but be done with Geralt altogether, because they're only really fucking both their own game and the character, as it already exists in the books, up.

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Although once again it comes to mind that artificially forcing all these RPG mechanics in is somewhat detrimental to the game, and it would be better if they made it more of an action-adventure.

I completely agree. While reading your post, I found myself thinking the exact same, and then you dropped that line.

In fact, that's what TW2 feels like, a story-driven action-adventure with skilltrees. Maybe they should just focus on that, and drop the shitty, vague RPG elements altogether.

One main problem with the Witcher is that, well, one is forced to play as Geralt and none other. Consequently, being forced to fight as Geralt forces the player to rely heavily on sword combat, because that's what Geralt does. Even the signs are vastly overplayed, in the game, compared to the books.

I wonder if, for this game, they couldn't just let the player "roll" a witcher of their choice (which would justify stats, skills, armour types), and keep Geralt as part of the storyline or something. Yes, I think they should just keep the lore (the world is just awesome and lively, and brimming with opportunities for creating characters and storylines) but be done with Geralt altogether, because they're only really fucking both their own game and the character, as it already exists in the books, up.

Even better - CDProjekt should make a deal with Logic Arts by hiring them to do a Expeditions-like TB RPG with The Witcher 3 assets.
Cheap and glorious.

:yeah:

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2

Even better - CDProjekt should make a deal with Logic Arts by hiring them to do a Expeditions-like TB RPG with The Witcher 3 assets.
Cheap and glorious.

:yeah:

:dead:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom