Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

mondblut

Arcane
So, is there any in-game clue whatsoever that I need to wear the Necromatic (sic) Helmet in the grove north of Ukpyr to be able to speak to someone there, to solve the riddles in the Witches Cave?

I am pretty sure one of the *maps* tells a clue about the witches.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
So what's up with that 1 square of brick wall in The Lesser Wilds? Am I supposed to do anything there?
I've tried searching on all four side, but nothing.

Oh, and how do you kill a Myxlmynx? Those minxes seem to be totally immune to magic, scream so loud that my party turns insanse, casts nasty spells like Prismic Missile, Blink in and out, have a poison attak, have hundreds of HP and then just vanishes.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Interesting...you can pour lots of spell points into spells like Armorplate, Enchanted Weapon and Directions to make them last longer, but too much and the spell is dispelled.

And I feel like a bloody fool. I didn't realize that H'Jenn-Ra T'Rang and the Queen of the T'Rang was the same entity. I thought H'Jenn-Ra was the military leader and that the queen was just an egg factory, and that she was blown up along with her eggs. How fitting that she held the *FOOLS map...

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Interesting...you can pour lots of spell points into spells like Armorplate, Enchanted Weapon and Directions to make them last longer, but too much and the spell is dispelled.
Variable overflow, maybe.

octavius said:
And I feel like a bloody fool. I didn't realize that H'Jenn-Ra T'Rang and the Queen of the T'Rang was the same entity. I thought H'Jenn-Ra was the military leader and that the queen was just an egg factory, and that she was blown up along with her eggs. How fitting that she held the *FOOLS map...
I hope, you first recharged thermal pineapple? ;)
I liked Nyctalinth ruins. Just a crumbling stones, howling of wind and mostly (or all, can't remember) undead adversaries.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
AAARGHH! GODZYLLI!
Man, that was one mean, tough bugger! But lots of experience for my surviving characters.
Didn't get any special message, so I assume this a rare random encounter, like the Myxlmynx?
EDIT: Oh, no!

Magic seems to be useless, except for buffing, healing and summoning critters, against high level enemies.

I hope, you first recharged thermal pineapple? ;)

You mean it can be used as a weapon? Damned, didn't think of that. :(

EDIT: Hmm...another mystery square, this time in the Greater Wilds. Looks like a road behind the tree, from every angle.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
So, is there any in-game clue whatsoever that I need to wear the Necromatic (sic) Helmet in the grove north of Ukpyr to be able to speak to someone there, to solve the riddles in the Witches Cave?

I am pretty sure one of the *maps* tells a clue about the witches.

Actually it turns out that the clue is in the Book of Fables, mentioning a grove, the withching hour and seeing though "witching glass". That last one is rather far fetched, of course.

Anyway, I'm now circling in on the Isle of Crypts, so I think the end may be in sight.
The whole inter factional dynamics fizzled out after General Yuma got himself killed, and there isn't much direction in the game. Just explore every square inch and hope you figure things out. Fighting the same enemies over and over and over again is also getting tired.

BTW, how difficult is Wiz 8? IMO it's highly advicable to transfer characters and items from Wiz 6 to Wiz 7, but is it necessary from Wiz 7 to Wiz 8?

mondblut

Arcane
Anyway, I'm now circling in on the Isle of Crypts, so I think the end may be in sight.

There is still a fuckton of places ahead, but most are indoors.

there isn't much direction in the game. Just explore every square inch and hope you figure things out.

You say it like it's something bad :smug:

BTW, how difficult is Wiz 8? IMO it's highly advicable to transfer characters and items from Wiz 6 to Wiz 7, but is it necessary from Wiz 7 to Wiz 8?

Diamong ring, man, it never gets old. Other stuff you may transfer definitely helps, too. Also, a starting bonus of +4 levels and a starting place different from the monastery, depending on your ending (but there is no new content at umpani and trang starting places, and the monastery gets locked out, so you actually lose content if you have a start different than the monastery).

octavius

Arcane
Patron
With the insane amount of combat in this game I think it would have been better if it had totally random enemy groupings like in Might&Magic 2. Exploring the Sea of Sorrows there are like 324367 different encounters but they all boil down to four different ones:
Red Fish
Floaters
Black Birds
Eerie Moths

octavius

Arcane
Patron
This is stupid...Komodo Dragons being much tougher than Green Dragons? :roll:

What do you guys pick from the Preservation Deposit in the City of Sky?
Since I already have good weapons I went with the Light Shield. -10 AC and 90% resistance to Cold and Fire makes is extremely much more useful than any other shields I've seen, and it's even useable by Samurais, who usually are glass cannons.

mondblut

Arcane
What do you guys pick from the Preservation Deposit in the City of Sky?

Everything :D Use diamond ring. Can't remember if it stays with you, though.

When without the ring, normally *light sword*. Best weapon in game in terms of raw stats, and second (well, third) best after cane(s) of corpus in terms of total kill output.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Light Sword.
If you use Diamond Ring to get second item, it will be destroyed.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Just killed the Gorror Horragoth.
I think keeping class changing to a minimum has paid off, for his spells (wasn't able to silence him) and his fiery littles chums' breathing hardly touched my party. They were levels 22-29 before the fight.
Horragoth also had a "normal" amount of HP, unlike the Godzylas.

I thought these guys were supposed to be ultra hard? Or did my party stumble in on the Gorrors' kindergarten?

EDIT: Heh, the Beast of a Thousand Eyes was another matter entirely...
EDIT2: Checked in the editor: the fucking freak has over 9000 HP. :eek:

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Oh yes, beasty-beasty.
Try kill him just before finishing the game. Bat necklace is your friend.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Oh yes, beasty-beasty.
Try kill him just before finishing the game. Bat necklace is your friend.

Even with Bat Necklace + Necromatic Helm for 100% Light resistance + Magic Screen + Superman even my highest level warrior dies before we can kill it. Maybe if Boo was here he could have tipped the scales?

Oh well, I only had 5 Keys of Gorror, so I guess I have a valid reason for skipping the Beast of 1000 Eyes...
The second toughest Gorror was Mighty Mouse The Fiend of 9 Worlds. The Poison is strong in that one. Only two of my party survived.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
I remember trying to kill Fiend without any losses. It was hard. Try to kill Beast when your party will be around 35-40 level.

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
I say you should just give up on the Beast of 1000 Eyes. In my Wiz7 playthrough I went full mondblut and abused class-changing to give all my characters ninjutsu and kirijutsu, and when they fought the Gorrors all of them were high-level hybrid fighters swinging top-tier weapons such as Light Sword, Muramasa Blade, Maenad's Lance, Cane of Corpus and Avenger. It still took me more than one hour IRL to kill the Beast. IIRC there wasn't anything fun about it either; basically you just arm everyone with items that give light resistance and hope for the best. I can't recall the party's level when they tried to kill it, but I think it's around 30.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Heh, I bet many players hated the Hall of the Past. As a mappingfag I love it. Reminds me of Chaos Strikes Back and parts of Bard's Tale 2. And not using the auto-map (dropped it somewhere and don't remember where) only adds to the fun. :D

I say you should just give up on the Beast of 1000 Eyes. In my Wiz7 playthrough I went full mondblut and abused class-changing to give all my characters ninjutsu and kirijutsu, and when they fought the Gorrors all of them were high-level hybrid fighters swinging top-tier weapons such as Light Sword, Muramasa Blade, Maenad's Lance, Cane of Corpus and Avenger. It still took me more than one hour IRL to kill the Beast. IIRC there wasn't anything fun about it either; basically you just arm everyone with items that give light resistance and hope for the best. I can't recall the party's level when they tried to kill it, but I think it's around 30.

If I find another Key of Gorrors I think I'll return and try again. Even though the fight is tedious it does give some bragging rights if you manage to kill the infamous Beast of 1000 Eyes.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Heh, I bet many players hated the Hall of the Past. As a mappingfag I love it. Reminds me of Chaos Strikes Back and parts of Bard's Tale 2.
For me it was more like Dark Heart of Uukrlul Cube maze. I don't played Chaos Strikes Back, though.

And not using the auto-map (dropped it somewhere and don't remember where) only adds to the fun. :D
Oh you, fumble-fingers! :lol:

If I find another Key of Gorrors I think I'll return and try again. Even though the fight is tedious it does give some bragging rights if you manage to kill the infamous Beast of 1000 Eyes.
Indeed. It's really cockspirit-raising thing. :love:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
So what now?
I have explored as much as I can of the eight levels of the Halls of the Past. There are at least 50 teleporters and I've mapped them all.
There are two gates on the water level I can't open, but one of them doesn't need to be opened. There are two other gates; one next to the large area with all the teleporters and one to a single square room. The single square room is probably at the end of a teleporter though, if I have understood the Wizard's Eye correctly.
I found one Key of Waters which led to the mana restoring Fountain.
There is supposed to be a second Key of Waters, if I do the Pentagram puzzle correctly. But this is where I'm stuck. I figured out the sequence to touch seven of the eight crystals and the walkthroughs confirm it. But they disagree about when to touch the Sun crystal. I have tried all three different sequences the hint book and the walkthroughs suggest, but nothing happens when I step on the Penetagram. The wall to the right is supposed to open, leading to a chest containing a Key of Waters. And if I do it incorrectly the wall to the left is supposed to open. But none of the walls open? :?

I know I need the Star Map to complete the second Crusaders Test, and I assume that is the reward for completing the Halls of the Past.

So what am I missing?

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
octavius
Read the ?CRYSTAL? map to solve the puzzle. The DRAGON is 'D' etc. (Note that it spells out 'DOMINAE'.)
Press Dragon, Tower, Moon, Cross, Skull, Sun. Star and Egg. Now equip the Locket of the Tomb and step into the pentagram at H to open a secret door to 61.
Do you have Locket of the Tomb?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
octavius
Read the ?CRYSTAL? map to solve the puzzle. The DRAGON is 'D' etc. (Note that it spells out 'DOMINAE'.)
Press Dragon, Tower, Moon, Cross, Skull, Sun. Star and Egg. Now equip the Locket of the Tomb and step into the pentagram at H to open a secret door to 61.
Do you have Locket of the Tomb?

Ah, somehow I missed that from the walkthrough.
So that is what the Jewel of the Sun was for. I guess the Crypt map hints very cryptically at how to find the Locket, but what possible in game explanation is there for using the Locket on the Penetagram?

EDIT:
Ok, found the Star Map at last thanks to a walkthrough. Who the fuck would have thought that the teleporter in the middle of the teleporter room could any be reached from the west side, and then it's only a 50% chance of reaching it by somehow running past the teleporter in front of it? :mad:

And how the the hell do you figure out the sequence on stone tablet on the second Crusader Test from the Star Map?!? :retarded:

EDIT 2: OK, I missed/forgot the clue inside one of the pillars near the Isle of the Crypts. Using the Jewel of the Sun, and finding and using the Locket makes much more sense now.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Yay, finally managed to beat The Beast of 1000 Eyes! :D
For some reason I thought Resurrection couldn't be used in combat (that's what I get for playing too much Gold Box games, I guess), but this I tried it and managed to keep four of the party (barely) alive. My characters were levels 28-36.
The loot in the chest was underwhelming, though :(

Now let's hunt some robot. The "death machine" in the Crusader Test went down in one hit, so maybe these robots are less dangerous than those in Might and Magic 6?

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Hm.
Pause here a moment - I promised I'd explain the solution to the
Second Test in Sky City. Did you read the runes on the GAELIN Stone
here? (At 4) If you did, you'll know that rearranged to read
counter-clockwise from the south, they are as follows:

South East North West
TEMPLE BOAT SERPENT DRAGON
Man Pyramd Moon - Devil Boat Cross - Towr Serpnt Lantrn - Dragn Chest Key
SPHYNX CRYPT CRYSTAL STAR
Egg Chimra Wand Skull Jewel Statu Cube Ball Gate Tablt Statu Star

The ?STAR? map says 'find a man, then read rightly' (in conjunction
with the buttons at the second test). To the right of 'Man' is
'Pyramid', which matches one of the test buttons. 'Devil' does not,
nor does 'Boat, but 'Cross' does. 'Tower' does not but 'Serpent' does.
'Lantern does not but 'Dragon' does. So the first four buttons to
push are Pyramid, Cross, Serpent and Dragon. The map then says 'when
you have come full circle, go below 'Man' and read rightly'. Thus in
like manner, we find Wand, Skull, Gate and Star. OK?
Maybe this helps?

Yay, finally managed to beat The Beast of 1000 Eyes! :D
For some reason I thought Resurrection couldn't be used in combat (that's what I get for playing too much Gold Box games, I guess), but this I tried it and managed to keep four of the party (barely) alive. My characters were levels 28-36.
Congratulations!
The loot in the chest was underwhelming, though :(
RNG is jerk. :lol:
Now let's hunt some robot. The "death machine" in the Crusader Test went down in one hit, so maybe these robots are less dangerous than those in Might and Magic 6?
Wiz7 robots are definitely less dangerous.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom