Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

logrus

Augur
Project: Eternity
What did people think of the NPC's that joined your party?
They were ok for me, being funny, usable and diversified but I really didn't like the "I won't go there" routine. It forces you to frequently switch NPCs, or not use any, while I like to keep those I chose for the whole game. Once you can teleport left and right that's another story of course. So while I understand the will of the game makers to have you use most of the NPCs instead of stubbornly clinging to the first two you took, like I'm prone to do, I hate being forced into it.
Same feelings here. I hate when suddenly in the middle of nowhere 2 party members start to complain about going further. It's a pity because recruitable NPCs are really fun in Wiz8 and I like the comments they make on various occasions. But apart from the very first walkthrough if I decide to get additional party members, I usually stick with just RFS-81.

Kashrlyyk

Scholar
Same feelings here. I hate when suddenly in the middle of nowhere 2 party members start to complain about going further. It's a pity because recruitable NPCs are really fun in Wiz8 and I like the comments they make on various occasions. But apart from the very first walkthrough if I decide to get additional party members, I usually stick with just RFS-81.

You might be able to change that with the Cosmic Forge Wiz8 Editor. Saxx for example has the entry "Entered Bayjin" under the "RPC Script" tab. It contains a "RPC takes leave" command. RFS-81 has the same entry but doesn't have that command. So you could just delete it and it shouldn't cause any trouble, still a back up would be a good idea. Couldn't find anything about fixing the constant complaining. But you could right click on the "Quote" in "Complain in a Bad Place 1" entry and change it to "Suppress visual message."

Rpgsaurus Rex

Run until the party members gets knocked unconscious, then drag him to wherever you need.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
So, is there any in game clue that I should say "reflextion" (note the "t") to Blienmise to get the ring that teaches the Reflexion skill? Or is it a spelling error in the game?
Walkthroughs just tell me to say "reflextion", but not how I learn that word.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Mindread, maybe? Also try standard fare - "name, job, bye, rumors" :lol:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Mindread, maybe? Also try standard fare - "name, job, bye, rumors" :lol:
Thanks, that worked (after several tries)! :salute:
"Ring of Reflextion" was on Blienmeis' mind.

Don't know about exact mechanic, but I always tried to use something two handed with "melee"-mode. As secondary weapon I used that cursed poisonous dagger and something else, can't remember now.

Found a good explanation here.
Seems you can get two attacks per round with both the primary and secondary weapon, if you are level 13+.

BTW, if you use not loaded musket in the battle, the firearms skill still rise.
Now that's just silly.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Damned that Fun House is frustrating. Easily one of the most mind numblingly tedious areas in any CRPG I've played.
Illogical, contrived puzzles that would even make Adventure games expert Keith Campbell (RIP) weep.
Ladders and pits don't align properly, so I gave up on mapping and followed the Crusaders Hint Book instead.
I definitely wouldn't have the patience to finish this game without the hint book...kudos to those who have actually completed this game without any help or cheating.

EDIT:
Grrrr! Just found out that a character doesn't actually need to be a Bard to use a musical instrument, as long as they have Music skill, even though Assaying the instruments says they are Bard only.

Duckard

Augur
I think I found a bug. I can't seem to enter the buildings in the Umpani Base Camp (except the one with the stairs). It's like the little ledge that's there is slightly too high or something.

I can enter if I turn the graphics options on the setup to Software, but that makes the game super laggy. Is there any solution? Entering and exiting the game twice whenever I want to visit the shop would be a pain and the game's really too laggy to play in Software mode.

moraes

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Just run against the ledge. You'll be bounced up and eventually be able to climb it. At least that's what I remember doing.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Yep, there are few places in the game where something like that can happen. You just need to get a good run-up and smash into the obstacle full speed ahead.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
That puzzle with the Bo was evil.

Grrrr! Just found out that a character doesn't actually need to be a Bard to use a musical instrument, as long as they have Music skill, even though Assaying the instruments says they are Bard only.
Oh yes, Wiz7 is awesome like this. ;)

Black

Arcane
I think I just disabled full hardware acceleration or set nvidia settings from high performance to high quality and that fixed it.

mondblut

Arcane
Yes, the Funhouse is the only place in Wiz7 I don't miss. I think it was a deliberate trolling of the player, 10 years before trolling was invented.

Or, a shameless desire to cash on the hintbooks.

Duckard

Augur
Thanks guys. It was kind of a combination of what you suggested. I had already tried sprinting, but it didn't work. After changing my ATI settings from balanced to quality, I was able to sprint and "jump" into the buildings.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
So what do people think are the most difficult areas, relatively speaking?
I've done areas in the following order:
New City
Orkogre
Munkharama
Lost Temple
Ukpyr and the area north of it
Nycalinth
Rattkin Ruins
Old City
Witches Mountain and currently doing Witches Cave.

Apart from the Savant Troopers and Controler New City was easy.
Orkorgre was very difficult if you met Gorn Shamans, samurais or the very rare Gorn Lords. Some of the inmates were deadly too, not to mention the flock of Spectral Ravens.
Munkharama was one of the most difficult areas with the Dark Forest Munks, Munk Ninjas and Mad Warders spamming annoying spells east and west. Lost Temple was even more difficult if you fell down the pit and met diseased Munks and Giants. And the Skeleton Lords were very hard to beat.
After that things got easier. I breezed through Ukpyr, Nycalinth, and Old City. Rattkin Ruins was only dangerous if you met Ronins that could critically hit you, and of course the Fun House was too much of an Adventure game.
The Witches' Cave I'm currently in is suspiciously easy...

I'm using imported characters with all the über weapons except Excalibur. I shudder at the thought of going through half the game with mundane weapons.

mondblut

Arcane
Yep, Munkharama is probably the hardest in terms of encounter strength vs proximity to the beginning. I mean, unless you imported an Umpani or Trang start from Wiz6, chances are Munkharama will be your second area to visit after New City - either that, or Orkogre. And Orkogre is, like, 10 times as easy.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
So where is that Giant Cave? After exploring Witch Mountain and the Witch cave, I climbed down what I assume is the same sheer cliff I found when I explored the area north of Ukpyr. At that time all I found was the Sphinx Cave and some areas where you are supposed to wear or use an item found in the Giant Cave.

mondblut

Arcane
Duh, don't remember, but there is plenty of cliffs to climb in the mountain area, 5 or so. You have to pick up several vine pieces and combine them into one to climb them. One place features a locked backdoor to the Funhouse, unless I am mistaken.

octavius

Arcane
Patron

Thanks, that map was very nice and helpful indeed. It turns I was fooled by the Hint Book. It says I need to climb down a vine to reach the Giant Cave, but climbing down the vine just leads me to area north of Ukpyr where the Sphinx Cave is. The Giant Cave is on the other side of the Witch Mountain at the one place I hadn't explored yet.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
So, is there any in-game clue whatsoever that I need to wear the Necromatic (sic) Helmet in the grove north of Ukpyr to be able to speak to someone there, to solve the riddles in the Witches Cave?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Wiz 6 seemed like it was partly inspired by classics like Moby Dick and Heart of Darkness, but I wonder where Dewey got the inspiration for this:
"Your eyes bulge at the decadent obscene pulse of bodies that are strewn about the chamber, ripe with wine and orgasm..."

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Where is it from? Dane's tower?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom