Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Anyone know of there is level scaling in Wiz 7?
I noticed that we frequently faced Komodo Dragons right after reaching lvl 12, and Luna Mothras right after reaching lvl 13.

What do people usually do with the T'Rang? Say yes or no to Sithris' offer to join them against the Umpani? I said no, and then we met Sithris again right after having explored the Forbidden Zone in New City. First battle his assassins kept paralyzing my characters and it was hopeless. Second try I was lucky that he was joined by Wisers, who were no threat once silenced. Sithris himself wasted his actions on my summoned creatures, while we chipped away his hit points, all thousand (it felt like) of them.

Is there an "evil" and (relatively) "good" path in this game?

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Anyone know of there is level scaling in Wiz 7?
I noticed that we frequently faced Komodo Dragons right after reaching lvl 12, and Luna Mothras right after reaching lvl 13.
I think they are more place dependent.

What do people usually do with the T'Rang? Say yes or no to Sithris' offer to join them against the Umpani? I said no, and then we met Sithris again right after having explored the Forbidden Zone in New City. First battle his assassins kept paralyzing my characters and it was hopeless. Second try I was lucky that he was joined by Wisers, who were no threat once silenced. Sithris himself wasted his actions on my summoned creatures, while we chipped away his hit points, all thousand (it felt like) of them.
You can play on both sides for some time. But you should not, definitely, trust T'Rang too much.
Is there an "evil" and (relatively) "good" path in this game?
Maybe joining T'Rangs and slaying most peaceful NPC (as Wunderbar) counts as evil one, dunno ;) But you will have some choice in the end of game. Don't want to spoil it.

Duckard

Augur
Why are the AI spellcasters so much more difficult than the normal mobs? 2 frightmares can pretty much assure my party's death before I even close the distance. Leaf sprites in trynton were just as bad, but I managed by running like a little bitch and hiding behind the roaming trynnie hunters and shit.

Also, is the combat supposed to involve kiting the fuck out of enemies like that, or am I doing something wrong?

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Kiting? I don't believe I've ever kited an enemy.
Spell casters you usually go for first, or you out cast them.
And yes, AI spellcasters can certainly be difficult. It's what makes them so fucking fun!

Kashrlyyk

Scholar
Oh, one superbly amusing thing:

Recently, after talking with Z'Ant and getting hefty amount of XPs my game went slightly bonkers. Vi (multiclassed to Fighter) wanted to comment about her level up, but by the time she managed to I tried to exit conversation. She must have tried to say goodbye and her level up thing simultaneously, and as a result game stuttered, complained several times about Vi missing the quote, then made her saying her (unused) text for after beating the Dark Savant. Then the conversation looped and couldn't be exited, so I had to kill the process and reload.
:lol:

(That's what I call " The Brazilian Slaughter ".)

I had the same problem with Myles. First time I entered Arnika on my current playthrough I ran past him, but he forces a conversation on you. By the time the conversation started I was past him and he was hidden behind a column so I was talking to noone. Everytime I tried to exit a missing quote message appeared. The game probably checks the conversation partner to get the right quote. No partner no quote. In all the years of me playing the game that never happened before.

BTW am I the only one here who hates the lockpick minigame?? Is it even possible to open 8 tumbler locks without any additional help like Knockpicks or spells?? Or would you go mad before you manage to do it??

Duckard

Augur
By kiting I mean running away and having the enemy follow you do a different position that is more advantageous for whatever reason. I guess I was using the word wrong. Sometimes I've gotten raped by the same monsters that posed no threat when I lure them around a corner (ranged) or into a bottleneck (melee) or into friendly NPCs (everything). I understand that positioning is supposed to be important, but it feels like it makes more of a difference than it should. Seems like running or walking back is pretty much always the best first move in combat. I don't know if this is normal, because most people just say you go up against a corner and don't move that much in Wiz 8.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Why are the AI spellcasters so much more difficult than the normal mobs? 2 frightmares can pretty much assure my party's death before I even close the distance. Leaf sprites in trynton were just as bad, but I managed by running like a little bitch and hiding behind the roaming trynnie hunters and shit.
Because you cannot block their spells by hiding behind other mobs and they also have unlimited range so they usually get 2-3 free turns before you get to them. Also, pretty much every mob has a ridiculously high resistance to one or two realms, and pretty soon everything becomes resistant to everything while for your party getting respectable resistances takes quite some time...

Also, is the combat supposed to involve kiting the fuck out of enemies like that, or am I doing something wrong?
...and that is exactly why you have to have the 7dice magic screen up all the time. Again - because it cannot be underlined enough - the adventure buffs are the most important spells in the game period. Elemental shield and soul shield are also pretty much a must if you want to defeat certain enemies at certain points in the game (like for example the trees in Pagoda Armory as soon as you get there).

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Heh, Sergeant Balbrak. :roll:
Slightly more subtle than the girls' PE teacher Balbricker in the movie Porky's.

W.T.F? I have to pay for my standard N.E.P.S. issue (including a collector's edition I.U.F.S.T.F.N.E.P. insignia badge)?!? And the supply officer (Sergeant Kabomm :roll:) won't even accept an I.O.U.
Maybe I should have sided with the T'Rang after all...

EDIT: just beat Mick the Pick (a relative of Mick the Prick, fresh out of nick?) and got the Crypt Map. Damned what a wuss he was. I thought he would be tougher than Wunderland and Ratsputin.

DraQ

Arcane
By kiting I mean running away and having the enemy follow you do a different position that is more advantageous for whatever reason. I guess I was using the word wrong. Sometimes I've gotten raped by the same monsters that posed no threat when I lure them around a corner (ranged) or into a bottleneck (melee) or into friendly NPCs (everything). I understand that positioning is supposed to be important, but it feels like it makes more of a difference than it should. Seems like running or walking back is pretty much always the best first move in combat. I don't know if this is normal, because most people just say you go up against a corner and don't move that much in Wiz 8.
Well, positioning is important. Duh.
There are some exploits (combat sneak), but getting into a defensible spot is perfectly legit way to gain advantage.

And running isn't always the best first move - sometimes you might prefer to stay put and enjoy free turn or two of pelting melee attackers with stuff, sometimes you might want to get buffs up ASAP, or maybe cast your disruptive spells before enemy gets to start fucking you up.

BTW am I the only one here who hates the lockpick minigame?? Is it even possible to open 8 tumbler locks without any additional help like Knockpicks or spells?? Or would you go mad before you manage to do it??
Actually I consider it quite decent, though less of a minigame (because clicking till effective is not game - mini or otherwise), more of an attention sink that's also faking interactivity to prevent you from getting bored while your party struggles with a lock.

Elemental shield and soul shield are also pretty much a must if you want to defeat certain enemies at certain points in the game (like for example the trees in Pagoda Armory as soon as you get there).
Trees don't really require element shield (although they can fuck you up badly with stuff like toxic cloud), but try fighting Rynjin without soul shield.

And finally:
derb79.jpg

Vi getting her script mixed.

Monocause

Arcane
The first one, beside her portrait: "If only you had used that passion to good ends! Even when you took my eye... You scared me TO DEATH, you... ah, I don't know. Maybe it's naivete, maybe *I* am naive; yet even back then I thought that there is still hope for you. What a terrible mistake that was!" (This is probably the cut version as even in Polish i can't quite make much sense of it)

The next one, down there: "So that's it. He's dead. It's... ah, I can't really describe what I feel. I probably should be happy, so happy. Curse you, Savant, for the hell you've put me through! I... I still thought that there's more to you than that. I just thought so."

Or something along that lines.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
"Ssso that'sss it. He's dead. It'ssss... ah, I can't really desscribe what I feel. I probably should be happy, ssso happy. Curssse you, Ssssavant, for the hell you've put me through! I... I ssstill thought that there's more to you than that. I jussst thought ssso."
Fixed.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Uh oh! Seems the Umpani master tracker has a grudge against Sirthis T'Rang. I hope he won't be too upset that my party killed Sirthis and robbed him of his vengeance...

Try to hit bull's eye three times on the shooting range.
After returning from the first scouting mission my best "musketeer" had a skill of 44 in Firearms and hit bull's eye on first try. I was surprised that a musket could be used a secondary weapon.
Which reminds me...I can't quite work out how the number of attacks per round works. I thought only dual wielding or fighting bare handed, and having DEX 12+, would get you two attacks per round, with additional hits per attack being dependent on SPD (+12 to qualify to get extra hits) and character level.
But my Valkyrie wielding the a lance gets 2 attacks per round with up to 3 hits per attack, so it seems using one good weapon is better than using one good + one not quite so good.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron

Mostly because their resistances/HP are better than yours, they spam annoying status effects which you lack immunity against and very few players go for Iron Will for the whole party. Which brings me to (imho) the most fun party in terms of building/grinding against monsters: 4 pure elf casters of each school, max int/pie first, save as many picks as humanly possible, after you got all lvl 6,7 picks you want dual each one over to a hybrid. It is surpisingly easy, makes for great tactical usage of debuffs and once the party matures you can simply nuke everything out of existence while enjoying all the wepaon combat benefits of the hybrids.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Don't know about exact mechanic, but I always tried to use something two handed with "melee"-mode. As secondary weapon I used that cursed poisonous dagger and something else, can't remember now.
BTW, if you use not loaded musket in the battle, the firearms skill still rise.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
"Ssso that'sss it. He's dead. It'ssss... ah, I can't really desscribe what I feel. I probably should be happy, ssso happy. Curssse you, Ssssavant, for the hell you've put me through! I... I ssstill thought that there's more to you than that. I jussst thought ssso."
Fixed.
Except that's Vi speaking.
Oh yes, sorry. Vazdru cannot into potato bug text. :oops:

What did people think of the NPC's that joined your party?
They were ok for me, being funny, usable and diversified but I really didn't like the "I won't go there" routine. It forces you to frequently switch NPCs, or not use any, while I like to keep those I chose for the whole game. Once you can teleport left and right that's another story of course. So while I understand the will of the game makers to have you use most of the NPCs instead of stubbornly clinging to the first two you took, like I'm prone to do, I hate being forced into it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom