Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Fuck that. You know, first time I fought in the cathedral I got ass raped like you wouldn't believe.Second and third time two.
It was before I understood the necessity of magic screen.
Don't get me wrong, I really like the fights in this game, but I wish there was a bit more background on some of them sometimes.
There's so much devoted to Martin and his caves, but to this, a cathedral in the middle of nowhere where a sorceress is loaded for bear, there ought to be more.

Rpgsaurus Rex

You can just abuse the run command and steal the goodies without having to fight there - the idea is that you get that returning shuriken early in the game so you don't have to worry about ammunition.

I think the only thing you *have* to fight for if you want it is Sorceress's Heart, a component.

DraQ

Arcane
Fuck that. You know, first time I fought in the cathedral I got ass raped like you wouldn't believe.Second and third time two.
It was before I understood the necessity of magic screen.
"Multi-clouded deathlords hitting ass and leg oh god its tpk"?

Don't get me wrong, I really like the fights in this game, but I wish there was a bit more background on some of them sometimes.
There's so much devoted to Martin and his caves, but to this, a cathedral in the middle of nowhere where a sorceress is loaded for bear, there ought to be more.
True dat.

Shadenuat

Arcane
"Multi-clouded deathlords hitting ass and leg oh god its tpk"?
Good times. I've actually missed the place on my first walkthrough :lol: When I visited it I had so many Resurrection Powders that I could use them instead of restoration potions to shrug all nasty effects off and just outlast enemies.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
True. You could try running. But at the same time, you'd have to fight the mummies in the crypt itself.
And the vampire chain, made using the sorceress's heart, is a damn good weapon.

Rpgsaurus Rex

The shuriken is on the balcony IIRC - activate run, get there, activate run, get back. Yep, you'll need to fight the mummies if you need to break into the crypt (though I can't remember for the life of me what they're guarding there).

Rpgsaurus Rex

You don't need to initiate a fight - just stand around the corner, just at the entrance. Press run. While you're running, enemies are frozen and can't see you. End your "run" behind a pillar, before you "run meter" ends, then start another run up the balcony, then get out the same way. It's kinda aimed at a low party, just to get that shuriken ASAP.

DraQ

Arcane
You don't need to initiate a fight - just stand around the corner, just at the entrance. Press run. While you're running, enemies are frozen and can't see you. End your "run" behind a pillar, before you "run meter" ends, then start another run up the balcony, then get out the same way. It's kinda aimed at a low party, just to get that shuriken ASAP.
Is it possible to "combatsneak" through the entire cathedral?

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
I'm sure there's a way to do it, but I for one am not ballsy enough to do it.
That battle put the fear of god into me real early, and though I can beat it now without much difficulty, just the first time fighting it is ingrained in my DNA.

Edit: I love the fact that after 11 or so years after the game, essentially a dungeon crawler, we can still talk about it.
Shows this fucker's staying power.
Plus, dialogue was fucking fun too. I enjoyed asking everyone about all that shit.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
I think it is too. If I recall, books and potions were up on the balconies around the staircases. It was the shuriken, the sword, a helmet, and I think footsies of some sort in the crypt.

DraQ

Arcane
Edit: I love the fact that after 11 or so years after the game, essentially a dungeon crawler, we can still talk about it.
Shows this fucker's staying power.
Well, it's a flexible game. It's hard to grow bored with it.

Plus, dialogue was fucking fun too. I enjoyed asking everyone about all that shit.
Yeah. Not necessarily very good in conventional sense, but fun. NPCs were fun to interact with, they said interesting, often amusing things in often amusing manner and game generally fully embraced the fact it was campy and absurd (sort of like modern day Divinity 2 does).

Honestly, I generally prefer sort of cohesive world kind of experience, but it's just hard to not have shitload of fun with Wizardry 8 and to not notice that the team probably had tons of fun putting it together too - imagine this happening under Bobby "fear and hopelessness" Kotick.

Rpgsaurus Rex

I want to say the boomerang shuriken is being guarded by the mummies in the crypt. I don't think it's possible to retrieve it without fighting them.

:oops:

My memory playing tricks on me.

Is it possible to "combatsneak" through the entire cathedral?

Only the main floor - say, you can avoid the main fight entirely and go straight for the mummy. Which is an easier fight than the "main fight" IIRC, so it's a route worth taking if you just want the shuriken but can't handle the sorceress + friends.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Why would anyone want to bypass one of the best fights in the game ? You like to run ? Play this :

295022-the-activision-decathlon-1983.jpg

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Souleater was great. That thing just came out of nowhere first time I fought the fucker.
I was just WAAAT? One of the toughest fights I fought in that game, simply because I was so unprepared for it.
What is wutsitsname? Tiny? Or the giant salamander?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Wizardry 7: Crusaders of the Dark Savant

So what's best: the original DOS version or the Gold version for Windows?

Just :troll:ing, I know the DOS version is superior.

Anyway, I'm now ready to start this monstrosity of a game, and I need a good start.

This is what I've gathered from reading various threads here (being a good boy and using the Search function) and comments by kmonster on Abandonia:

Nearly everything in combat revolves around comparing levels, as it was in Wiz 6. So unless you work your ass off in a mondblutian sweatshop (AKA grinding), multiclass characters will have a disadvantage in being low level, which in my non-grinding experience from Wiz 6 is not alleviated by more and higher skill levels.
Imported characters will be reduced to lvl 5, but until they level up they will be treated as lvl 1 characters in all combat calculations. This means an imported lvl 5 character will be at an effective lvl 1 for a longer time than a newly created character.

Mana regeneration is painfully slow and it takes a lot of resting to replenish, and you risk being interrupted by hungry monsters.
The mana regeneration rate of your characters is not transfered from Wiz 6, but is set at the start of Wiz 7, depending on Class, Race, Piety and Vitality.
This means for some characters changing class may be a good idea right before trying to grab the Cosmic Forge at the end of Wiz 6, to get better mana regeneration in Wiz 7.
But going "down" from elite classes to regular classes means not being able to equip the best gear which is restricted to Lords, Valks, Samurais and Ninjas, and thus will not transfer to Wiz 7.
To make matters more complicated stats will also be reduced when importings, so character who have enough Pie+Pie+Vit to get extra mana regeneration (42 for +1) may be reduced to less than 42.

Since all skills are nerfed to 30 or less, it seems a good idea to have most of my characters start a new career anyway. Especially my Monk who started as a Thief will lose most of his thieving skills and will have to start over again. Having one of my two Ninjas develop thieving skills will take too long if they start at lvl 5.
Also, skills like Climbing, Swimming and Diplomacy start at 0 for all my characters, so it will go quicker to get these skills if the characters start a new career. And as mentioned the characters are treated as lvl 1 in combat before they level anyway, so it seems to me like the best course of action would be to change class for all but my Lord and Valkyrie at the end of Wiz 6, and maybe change the other two at the start of Wiz 7.

What do you think?

These are my characters right before trying to grab the Cosmic Forge:

ycEwH.png

D8ct1.png

0ofvL.png

xVlzm.png

82F3O.png

xPbG6.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom