Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

catfood

AGAIN
Souleater is a pushover if your dudes get lucky rolls their mind affecting saves. Having a couple of casters who can cast sane mind helps too, unless those two are among the ones being driven insane, then it sucks. But yeah, he was easily the toughest boss in all Ascension Peak. Kinda dissapointing that the DS goes down so easily, or rather he goes down slowly but he never manages to inflict any serious damage so it's all about waiting for your fighters to penetrate through his (presumably) insane armor score.

I just recently finished my second playthrough of the game and so far the only encounter that I had to avoid because it was too hard was Nessie. Unfortunately I forgot to pay her a visit with my fully leveled party before I took on the DS. Now I'm too lazy to go back and find out how hard the fight is going to be. :P

BTW, how do you get to fight the big magma golem thing in the Rapax Rift? I thought for sure he was going to be a mandatory boss but I've managed to miss him somehow.

Rpgsaurus Rex

re: magma golem
Use the Flamequencher thingie on the flame barrier IIRC and he'll jump your butt.

Funnily enough despite max mind resists (soul shield casted by me ASAP) the multiheaded dick still left all of my party turncoated/insane in the second round. I played on hard though, maybe that's why. Since it was endgame anyway and since all XP/loot was irrelevant by then, I just ran past.

I'm the same as you Octavius but I'm much more extreme. In a party-based RPG I usually name the warrior "GORE", the thief "VOL" ("theft" in french), the paladin "FLIC" ("cop"), the cleric "CURE" (Curé is how we name the old guys who dwell in churches) and the mage, well, "MAGE".
At least I don't have to remember the class of Fryndhyr the Third from the House of Avalon.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
So of course this thread yet again made me start a fresh playthrough.

Running a VAL, ROG, MON, RAN, GAD and MAG. I just killed Nessie being level 15-16, got an utterly shit drop in Davy Jones' Locker as usual. That wrecked my mood, but when I started the buccaneer ghost encounter the first one I killed dropped a vaporizer and the light sword. Have to say I never used that weapon before, never got a patience for the savescumming usually required to get it.

So anyway, I gave it to my rogue, replacing the Bloodlust and wondering what the result will be. Just a minute after she killed a Rynjin Battlelord (lvl 20) with a single blow (not critical) :what:

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
What do you think?
I think you think too much. This game (as many others) can be completed without all this metagaming crap. What it really takes to make you "one of those who finish it" as opposed to "one of those who talk about finishing it" is time and determination. You've made it through 6 and have ready to import characters ? Just play motherfucker ! :rpgcodex:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Motherfuck, changing class right before importing was not a good idea.
HP was reduced to about 10, and skills to a pathetic 1-3!!! Might as well have started with new characters.

So I'll use the experienced party instead. Being elite classes they will at least get average mana regeneration.

I think the morale is: unless you plan on grinding, keep class changing to a minimum. Higher level makes everything easier, and sticking to one class means higher stats which again translates into better mana regen in Wiz 7 if Pie+Pie+Vit is high enough.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Oh yeah. Fucking Light Sword is game over man, game over. So fucking rare tho. Such a great weapon. I actually wish Savant Enemies used it as well, or at least some sort of anti-savant Higardi of insanely high levels. Something that would be fun.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
This has been discussed a million times, but the DOS version is better because in the GOLD version all of the dialogue will instantly scroll in the text window. You will not be able to read a single thing with the GOLD version. There is no fix for the text scrolling by at lightening speed for GOLD.

Black

Arcane
So of course this thread yet again made me start a fresh playthrough.

Running a VAL, ROG, MON, RAN, GAD and MAG. I just killed Nessie being level 15-16, got an utterly shit drop in Davy Jones' Locker as usual. That wrecked my mood, but when I started the buccaneer ghost encounter the first one I killed dropped a vaporizer and the light sword. Have to say I never used that weapon before, never got a patience for the savescumming usually required to get it.

So anyway, I gave it to my rogue, replacing the Bloodlust and wondering what the result will be. Just a minute after she killed a Rynjin Battlelord (lvl 20) with a single blow (not critical) :what:
I think the only time I got an Excaliber(ur?) from the Davy locker is when nobody in my party could use it.
Fun!

Shadenuat

Arcane
In all these years, noone bothered to make a mod which replaces random loot with hand-placed loot?

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
I did, but the problem becomes the fact that if you go down too early, you get the best weapon in the fucking game, etc and it's just too good.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
I also killed Mad Marten for the first time, never occurred to me before. He only drops some shitty cursed cloak it seems :decline: Over 100k exp for everyone is always nice though.

Does killing him have any consequences?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
What do you think?
I think you think too much. This game (as many others) can be completed without all this metagaming crap. What it really takes to make you "one of those who finish it" as opposed to "one of those who talk about finishing it" is time and determination. You've made it through 6 and have ready to import characters ? Just play motherfucker ! :rpgcodex:

It's excactly because this game requires so much time and determination that I need to get a good start.
I've heard about some players using several months to complete this game, even when playing several hours per day.

I think I'll even use a walkthrough for this game to avoid wasting too much time finding out where I'm supposed to go.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Nope, he gives it to you automatically after you answer his questions, so you have it already before you can initiate a fight. He does drop the key to the caves though, which is not even necessary anyway.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Is he still around after he gives it to you?
I thought he always disappeared after he gave it to you.
Plus, he can drop one of the nastiest greatswords in the game, one of the two massive flaming ones.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Also, I do wish that there was more to do in Bayjin, more than just fight anyway. Would have been nice to at least have the option of participating of what RS-87 described as a civil war.
Would have been nice to see some backstory to that place as well, other than just a big ass temple made of stone from a people that apparently live in straw caves and huts. Would have loved to see more.
Also, did anyone notice how Myles is one of the only guys who's not afraid of the Rapax Rift?
Apparently, cut content, but he was originally supposed to be in one of the cages and you would rescue him. He tried to do something on his own, some major robbery, and got caught and was ready to be sacrificed to the lava lord along with the other poor bastard.
Would have been nice to have that put back in. Add a little bit to his character.

I_am_Ian

Arbiter
Patron
Anybody else get creeped out the first time they walked into Marten's tomb and you see his ghost laying there and he suddenly gets up? And after he is done talking to your party he just slowly disappears. The whole sea caves story is eerie. Finding the place where those people barricaded themselves in. The more I think about it, Wizardry 8 has a fascinating back story.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Is he still around after he gives it to you?
No, he disappears when you say goodbye, so the only chance you have is to attack him through dialogue after asking him all you want. He is level 38 though and all your party goes insane in the second round from the Destinae Dominus, so you have to give an equip command in the first round to the character with the Helm of Serenity, after that it's pretty easy, especially if you cast a high level Elemental Shield in the first round as well.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Don't change levels in the New City, but after you get 9-10 level, start gradually multiclass all your mages. You can level-up your multiclassed character to 4-5 level just in the several battles. Believe me, moderate multiclassing is extremely useful. And, by the way, you don't need extra high level characters, maybe just for killing Beast of the 1000 eyes or slaying that octopus without fatal accidents. So multiclass! It's not like Guardia have shortage of endless encounters. Experience is abundant, just explore Sea of Sorrows, for example.
And start training swimming early, you can find pool in the dungeon nearby.

catfood

AGAIN
I almost forgot: I did the Umpani - T'rang allliance thing but I never got to see anything. Rodan and Drazic stay with Yamir and tell me that we'll all meet up at Ascension Peak but nothing happens. Am I missing something?

Rpgsaurus Rex

No, it just isn't in the game. Wiz8 is an unfinished game in many ways, I think they ran out of money/time.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I did, but the problem becomes the fact that if you go down too early, you get the best weapon in the fucking game, etc and it's just too good.
What do you mean? Won't putting these best weapons inside bellies of strongest monsters around solve the problem? For example, *Light* *Sword* inside Nessie.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom