Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

octavius

Arcane
Patron
So I met Professor Wunderland. He told us to leave and we did. When I entered his room again he was gone.
Will I get another chance to talk to him, or is it a one shot deal?

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Old rattkin who tells you about city history? Can't remember much, but he is important, he has key to Old City. Try leaving building or even city and entering again.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Old rattkin who tells you about city history? Can't remember much, but he is important, he has key to Old City. Try leaving building or even city and entering again.

Yes, that's the one.
I've played out a few scenarios with old Ratty, and in some cases he flees during combat, which means no key.
Just tried leaving the Library, and now he turned up again. Thanks!

Tigranes

Arcane
The Philosophers #1 died several times in the Arnika-Trynton Road and in Trynton entryway, so hotfooted it back to Arnika for now. The guys are on Level 6/7, but if they get surrounded they seem to have trouble even with regular mobs.

DraQ

Arcane
The Philosophers #1 died several times in the Arnika-Trynton Road and in Trynton entryway, so hotfooted it back to Arnika for now. The guys are on Level 6/7, but if they get surrounded they seem to have trouble even with regular mobs.
Don't get surrounded.
Exploit everything that can be used as chokepoint and don't camp anywhere that isn't either completely safe or surrounded by impassable terrain as much as possible.

Alchemy shines with high level instakill and status inflicting spells which are inaccessible for hybrids bar excessive grinding.
I don't know, blinding flash should be handy, especially for ranged attacker, while mixing bombs goes well with thrown weapons.

Rpgsaurus Rex

btw you need very little time (30 min?) to grind Alchemy sky-high, just use the Vault door. The benefits are immense.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
btw you need very little time (30 min?) to grind Alchemy sky-high, just use the Vault door. The benefits are immense.
Do you mean casting knock knock over and over on the vault door you get to from the hole in the floor at the jail? Are there any other quick, effective ways to raise skills?

Tigranes

Arcane
Well, I've been going back and forth between Arnika and Trynton making sure I haven't missed anything. Hitting Level 7, Leibniz is finally able to cast Freeze Flesh and Fireball, which dramatically increases the explodability factor. We even took down a Hogar, though it was dependent on the Paralysis spell hitting. Of course, nothing dropped. So far it's not terribly exciting loot-wise, though I'm sure I'm missing things and there are a bunch of modern world bits and pieces I can't use.

I heard that there's a Graveyard in the Arnika-Trynton Road but I can't find it; the only unexplored area left is an ominous bridge with some enemies on the other side, which I'm going to check out now. Otherwise, it's off to Trynton proper.

I_am_Ian

Arbiter
Patron
Do you mean casting knock knock over and over on the vault door you get to from the hole in the floor at the jail? Are there any other quick, effective ways to raise skills?

Yes. Besides the vault door you can train by casting charm repeatedly on NPCs. You can also use the trapped coffin in the monestary to repeatedly cause damage and status effects to your party and then cast healing and cure lesser condition spells on them. There are other ways to train your skills including stealth but the processes escape me. I really am against training so I don't practice it anymore.

Rpgsaurus Rex

Vault door training is the least tedious one tho. Mash the button fast and furious. Spamming charm and mindread can kill your will to live.

Tigranes

Graveyard is East from the A-T road. Stick to the right hand side and you won't miss it. Oh you also wanna have a dagger (or was it sword?) in your inventory for some oldskool puzzle.

I_am_Ian

Arbiter
Patron
Yes, charm and mindread are pretty tedious but not every school can cast knock-knock and if you want to train specific realms these are the only options.

And it is a dagger you need at the graveyard. The longsword is needed in the southeast wilderness. Or was it the short staff? No I think that's needed in the area adjacent to the Umpani base camp. Oh and bring your graph paper if you're going in there. The automap does not work.

DraQ

Arcane
Short staff in Northern Wilderness, dagger on A-T Road, Long Sword in Mountain Wilderness, IIRC.

Also, I remember meeting seven or so Sages's Ghosts or somesuch "in there", when the combat started each of them proceeded to psionic blast my party at high die - when I finally got the initiative on the first turn my party was already down to a fighter with half of his HP.
I just sat there staring at the screen and whimpering faintly.
Good thing it wasn't an ironman playthrough.

I'll never go "in there" again without at least portal set up somewhere safe and active X-Ray spell.

Tigranes

Arcane
Great. I think I found it when I stopped, but I'll have to run all the way back to Arnika to buy a dagger then.

I had no expectations so it doesn't bother me, but the game has truly terrible environments. Guess that's what comes with the series.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
So, is it normal that both Wunderland and Ratsputin (heh!) attack you? Would Ratsputin have been one of the competitors looking for maps?

This game must be absolutely brutal with new characters. The New City not so bad, but the Old City with it's poison spewing Oozes and annoying Faery Bitches was so bad I decided to head for Orkogre Castle instead. Right outside the gate I barely survived against Ratsputin and five Rattkin Hunters.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
So, is it normal that both Wunderland and Ratsputin (heh!) attack you?
No. Looks like you pissed off all rattkins. What have you done, eh? ;)
Would Ratsputin have been one of the competitors looking for maps?
Yes, but usually he very fast killed by other competitors.
This game must be absolutely brutal with new characters. The New City not so bad, but the Old City with it's poison spewing Oozes and annoying Faery Bitches was so bad I decided to head for Orkogre Castle instead.
Old City is not the place for new characters. Return later. Orkogre Castle is a good choice, but Munkharama is fine too (and you should explore river around bridge on the way to Munkharama for very nice item)
Right outside the gate I barely survived against Ratsputin and five Rattkin Hunters.
One less, heh.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
So, is it normal that both Wunderland and Ratsputin (heh!) attack you?
No. Looks like you pissed off all rattkins. What have you done, eh? ;)

Hmm...freeing the Gorn Captain? Attacking the Savant Guards?
The Gorns and Rattkin obviously don't like each other, and the Rattkin seems to be allied with the Savants.

The game is definitely more dynamic and open than Wiz 6, but it (so far at least) lacks the unique "atmosphere" and dark story of Wiz 6.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
I didn't think they were that bad. The roads suck, but that's cause there's not a lot of movement one way or another. They're just roads and you've got no where else to go.
Mountain Wilderness, Trynton, and a number of other places are pretty damn good.

On a side note, did anyone think that the Monastery was the best or one of the best dungeons in the game?
I certainly did.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
It's fun to explore but overall, Wizards and Warriors has way better dungeons.

Hey, what are the consequences of accepting Rattus Rattus' quest and robbing the bank?

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
The guards at the bank go a bit batty and you have to kill everybody.
I don't recall if you could ever complete the quest though anyway, at least I'm not sure if you could beyond robbing the place.
It's not like Rattus could give you an in with the Don, though that would have been nice if he had.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom