Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Also, is there a way to get the Astral Dominae if you kill the Don when you first meet him?

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Mt Gigas caves are annoyingly boring, apart from that I liked all the areas. And yes, Monastery was one of the better ones.

As for the Astral Dominae that is actually an interesting question though I wouldn't be surprised if he dropped it anyway, despite claiming that he doesn't have it.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
On a side note, did anyone think that the Monastery was the best or one of the best dungeons in the game?
I certainly did.
To me it's not only a good but also the only real dungeon of the game. The rest are just "locations" and don't feel like dungeons, including Marten's bluff and Rapax castle. That's one of my main gripes with Wiz8, too damn open.

Tigranes

Arcane
The Monastery was good, though nothing amazing; certainly what I expected from a reputable dungeon crawler. I also enjoyed Arnika, but the roads have been pretty boring, so we'll see what Trynton brings tonight.

I mean, with the combat system it has, open areas like the Roads are terrible - you're just going to be backing up to a wall every fight anyway. I did like my big fight with a gazillion plants in the Trynton bridge area.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
In Marten's Bluff/Mt Gigas you will get an access to teleporting machines and there are also set/return to portal spells. All that will make the travelling much less annoying.

Edit: The one in Mt Gigas isn't all that useful though as it just dumps you on Arnika road pretty far from the town, but the one that spider blob things have is heaven.

DraQ

Arcane
I've always thought that Wiz8 had some nice, diverse locations.
Not necessarily roads and wilderness areas (apart from Mountain Wilderness which pretty cool), but still nice. Also, Mt. Gigas Caves' unexplored area was a proper dungeon.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Do mages, priests and alchemists get more skill points for their magic skills per level than samurais, valks/lords and ninjas do? It takes forever to raise these skills with only 3-4 points per level, and I could really need higher level spells like Cure Poison and Levitate, to name a few that would have been handy.
So, do I change class to get higher skill levels or do I stick to current classes to get the all important class levels as high as possible?
One downside to changing to basic spell caster classes is that they will no longer be able to use the best weapons.

Tigranes

Arcane
So, did you find the retro dungeon?

I hit some runes then couldn't find anything for twenty minutes, so I looked up on the guide on what to do with the dagger, but still couldn't get it to work. Then I saw how 'retro' the retro dungeon is and gave up. Maybe I'll go back to it later, I'm not even level 8 yet anyway.

Good to know you get teleport/portals later, I don't mind it early game.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Do mages, priests and alchemists get more skill points for their magic skills per level than samurais, valks/lords and ninjas do?
Oh yes! Now you should understand, why class change is so necessary. Some skills like mapping and scouting can be trained only on level ups.
One downside to changing to basic spell caster classes is that they will no longer be able to use the best weapons.
Just change one character in time and revert him to previous class before changing another.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Do mages, priests and alchemists get more skill points for their magic skills per level than samurais, valks/lords and ninjas do?
Oh yes! Now you should understand, why class change is so necessary. Some skills like mapping and scouting can be trained only on level ups.

I think the cause of this problem is that you can't distribute skill points freely. You have to allocate "useless" weapons skills (useless since they rise so quickly anyway) and that leaves little for the precious magic skills. In Wiz 6 it was therefore easier to get high magic skills.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
By the way, one of Wiz7 versions (DOS or Gold, can't remember) had annoying bag. You can't leave level-up screen if you do not distribute all points, and if you have all 100 in one subcategory... Go figure. I just changed class to open some useless for this character skills.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Might&Magic is better than Wizardry in at least two respects:
1. Much more fun to explore. So far I have found no interesting places overland map in Wiz 7.
2. More user friendly interface. Information is always a key stroke or two away. In Wiz 6 and 7 it would have been nice to see not only your current spell points, but also max spell points when casting spells in combat. Buying and selling in Wiz 6 and 7 is also a chore, and easier access to a character's inventory would have been nice. It's rather cumbersome having to open to sell menu to see what a character is currently equipped with.
But most rage inducing of all: in Wiz 6 and 7 there is no textual or visual indictation that a character is currently Silenced. :mad:

Stabwound

Arcane
By the way, one of Wiz7 versions (DOS or Gold, can't remember) had annoying bag. You can't leave level-up screen if you do not distribute all points, and if you have all 100 in one subcategory... Go figure. I just changed class to open some useless for this character skills.
I think you're thinking of Wiz 6, not 7. Wiz 6 definitely has that bug, anyway.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
I actually would have wanted some more retro dungeons actually.
The ones they had were great overall. Loved them.
Required a shit ton of map work and general paying attention to.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Rapax Castle is quite a dungeon. Remember storming it for the first time and being angry you can't get that catapult from Marten's Bluff and unload rain of fire on those fucking archers, mages, samurai and whatever swarming walls from above.

Actually, well, I always thought whole Wiz8 is just a very big dungeon. With some safe resting places like He'Li tavern and such. Everything else is fighting/puzzles/loot.

You can also make it even more so (whole game as a dungeon) if you make every faction in the game hate you :troll:

kmonster

Augur
Hmm? The ninja got from 4-7 academic skill points. Lower than for the others, though, which looked abnormally high. Do you get twice the skill points when playing on expert difficulty?
The difficulty setting doesn't change what happens at level up, at expert difficulty you face one extra monster per group which lets you level faster for an easier game. Ninjas with INT+PIE >35 get 3-7 academic skill points.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
So what's up with that scroll that occasionally appear in the bottom right corner when moving? And sometimes a cloak appears?
Couldn't find any mention of it in the manual.

DUH! Nevermind, turned out it was cursed items I had thrown away. :oops:

DraQ

Arcane
Woohoo - Umpani Base Camp after picking Demonsting weapons from the monastery, still no fatalities.

Enlisted and went hunting for books, as usual. My bishop slowly starts to cease sucking - just learned Hypnotic Lures and Blinding Flash. Had funny happening with hogar on the road - my ninja hit it with a bag of instakill powder before it even got hostile.
:troll:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
So I got myself a cursed Ring of Invisibility. It gives -4 to AC and some resistances, so it's a nice item.
Does anyone know how the curse manifests itself?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom