Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

I_am_Ian

Arbiter
Patron
Mad God's cosmic forge editor has been updated as recently as July of this year. I guess the mod community is still going strong with this game.

I_am_Ian

Arbiter
Patron
Are any of the mods good? All the ones I've ever tried either made the game too easy or were just too amateurish for me to really want to invest time in. I love vanilla so a good mod to me would just be an overall tweaking and rebalancing maybe.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
I tried Dodd's and Daegon's mod together (this is one of the most highly regarded mods I think?) and they were both extremely bad. Everything was spelled wrong and there were 2 RPCs in the Monastery, one of which was a level 30 valkyrie. It was dumb as hell and I didn't get further than the very beginning.

I'm going to give you a heads up: all mods are bad. All of them for every game.

I would like to try that mod that speeds the game up but it's not working on my computer for some reason. I think the speed is the game's biggest problem. Battles that should take 3 minutes are 15 because animations and movement take forever.

Black

Arcane
Any general mods that balance the game and add things that were supposed to be in (like supposedly Quetzalcoatl) without adding "cool" bullshit? Or maybe we just need to throw Killap at Wiz 8.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Isn't Killap the guy doing the Fallout 2 restoration mod? That's like the poster child for bad mods.

Actually, I think community patches that fix unresolved game bugs are alright, but the second they start adding or changing or rebalancing content, it becomes really, really bad.

rashiakas

Cipher
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Dodds makes the game harder though, but I never really liked it as well. There is also the reforged mod, but I haven't played it (yet).

And what the fuck? How can you play wizardry 8 without the speed tool, even with it on max speed I rage every time I'm in Trynton, waiting for them stupid trannies Trynnies throwing three spears each while blocking my path. :x

kmonster

Augur
What does that one do? I picked the Ring of Invisibility since I needed the extra dex for class changing, and of the items weapons is what I need the least.
Rechargable source of spell points with strength of (afair) 6. Mana Stone can be fine too.

Don't feel bad about about not picking the Staff of Stars. Magicfood refreshes only very litte mana per charge and you loose the items if the last charge is used. So in order to use it effectively you'd have to go near a mana refreshing location (which are also annoying to use since they don't recharge much per use), save the game, cast recharge, check if the item is still there and didn't get destroyed and repeat this save/reload scum many many times ...

You'll come across other items if you want to do so.

Rpgsaurus Rex

Speed mod only affects movement IIRC. The derp with allied patrols stays.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Sometimes it's very fine for quick boost of SP when you amble through Funhouse or caverns leading to Sky City. Of course, another good mana recharge items exist too.

DraQ

Arcane
Yeah, disease is disproportionally brutal compared to the other status effects. To the point where it might actually be better to kill and resurrect a diseased character if you have neither the spell nor potion.

Speaking of death - had first one in my team yesterday - my lvl9 party got beset by whole bunch of high level undead at the cemetery after dealing with hilariously weak (sige ghost and some trynnie ghosts) welcome committee. First there were two sige spirits and lvl13 Flesh Ripper. Spirits succumbed to banishing powders quick enough, but the ripper paralysed, then literally ripped my slutty stock bard open and it wasn't pretty.

Then after slaying the ripper, resurrecting the bard and generally getting back into fighting shape my party assaulted the cemetery proper using the gate as chokepoint, for there were two sige haunts and huge bunch of trynnie haunts in there.
One of the sige haunts managed to silence the party rather thoroughly (ironically, only the ninja didn't end up mute) so I just buffed whomever was in melee with doubleman draught, switched my muted Dracon bishop to breath artillery after turning undead, managed to unleash canned air elemental with my Ninja (had two, but botched first one) and generally kept hacking away.
It went surprisingly smooth - managed to get to the mummy before encounter ended too, elemental whacked it for some 150damage and that was that.

Oh, managed to whack greater picus before (and then ran away like a sissy from a bunch of molochs and unidentified powerful plant) so Sparkle (I needed a ranger) has something new to hit things with in melee.

Isn't Killap the guy doing the Fallout 2 restoration mod? That's like the poster child for bad mods.
Would probably download if it added those furfag critters meant to be in originally.

:oops:

I_am_Ian

Arbiter
Patron
Reading about battles like that one, DraQ, make me want to start a new game. I've done so many monestary runs its hard to get into it at the beginning. I wish I could start in Arnika at level 5 sometimes and explore the monestary backwards somehow.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
You can actually do the cemetery later on in reverse actually, if you start the game from a previous beginning. You can begin at either Martin's Bluff or the Umpani Camp. I don't believe it's possible to begin at Arnika tho. I think that if you don't ally with either and have Vi with you, you still crash at the monastery.

DraQ

Arcane
You can actually do the cemetery later on in reverse actually, if you start the game from a previous beginning. You can begin at either Martin's Bluff or the Umpani Camp.
Ah yes, imports. Never done it, but I also believe you jump from lvl1 to 5 on first LU when importing too.

I don't believe it's possible to begin at Arnika tho. I think that if you don't ally with either and have Vi with you, you still crash at the monastery.
A shame actually - would be cool to crash into Arnika.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Yeah, that level jump is correct, from 1 to 5.
Anyone else wish there was more to that Mook thing about Grimpak than just telling his guys that he's dead?
Dammit dammit dammit.
And Tramain of the HLL too. I definitely wish there was more to do with him and the HLL in general, maybe becoming a member of the group if you do something for them. It doesn't do anything but give you a few stun maces and a gun of some sort, but still would be nice.

Black

Arcane
I still don't know who voiced Dark Savant, any ideas? He sounds black.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom