Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

octavius

Arcane
Patron
It just means you can't unequip it without casting remove curse.

That's what I thought/hoped too, but I just discovered that it's worse than that. The character wearing the Ring of Invisibility got nauseated and no amount of Cure Lesser Condition fixes it, and after several rest periods he suddenly turned insane; insanity which repeatedly castings of Sane Mind doesn't cure. Fucker was dieased, not nauseated.

<Sigh> this game is quite brutal. Massive amounts of random encounters with monsters that spam all sorts of paralyzing, poisonous and nasty spells/attacks at you, inane puzzles, and page upon page of pompous pretensious purple prose that would make a Vogon poet cry.
Spell points takes ages to regenerate, so you can't just unleash hell against every monster group either, and if you do you can be sure half the spells backfire or fizzle.
Bane of the Cosmic Forge was fun, but this game is starting to feel like work. I can only imagine how it would be starting with lvl 1 characters, and having no super weapons like the Murmasa Blade, Bushido Blade and Maena's Lance.

Mackerel

Augur
That must have been unrelated to the ring, and I don't recall what would cause that. It's been a long time, but I do remember using that ring with no ill effect.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
That must have been unrelated to the ring, and I don't recall what would cause that. It's been a long time, but I do remember using that ring with no ill effect.

Ooops! You were right. I reran the battle against some Frothing Munks, and it turns out their attacks make character hit diseased, not nauseated. It's the same visuals, so I was fooled. Bloody annoying that it can't say in plain words on the character sheet what's wrong with them.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
<Sigh> this game is quite brutal. Massive amounts of random encounters with monsters that spam all sorts of paralyzing, poisonous and nasty spells/attacks at you, inane puzzles,
Inane and evil, very evil. Wait until Munkharama puzzle with (afair) stones and chalices.
Spell points takes ages to regenerate, so you can't just unleash hell against every monster group either, and if you do you can be sure half the spells backfire or fizzle.
Rest/find a fountain/Take Staff of Stars in Munkharama.
Bane of the Cosmic Forge was fun, but this game is starting to feel like work. I can only imagine how it would be starting with lvl 1 characters, and having no super weapons like the Murmasa Blade, Bushido Blade and Maena's Lance.
Oh, I forgot that you have good weapons. So nevermind my advice about river exploration. That two-handed axe +2 was livesaver to me when I played without imported characters.
And Wiz7 is a terrific fun. Just make breakes when you feel what you can't take more. ;)

DraQ

Arcane
We really need to do a proper Codexian Mod for this game.
Besides changing axes around and adding new ones, what needs to be done?
Apart from renaming Soul Eater?
:mhd:

I'd tweak Gadgeteer - more gadgets, especially early in game, more recipes for useful items (like weapons), maybe mutually exclusive recipes (due to lack of components) or tiered recipes (as with taken out demon doll and jack-in-box), turn certain misc items into either gadgets or modern weapons (flame fucking thrower), maybe turn certain gadgets into modern weapons using a lot of stamina and firing spells instead of normal projectiles (like microwave blaster), finally, maybe give gadgeteer special ability allowing him to randomly produce small quantities of ammo for one of the modern weapons equipped by party.
Hmm... thinking of combining Tinker's Carry-all Bracer with plate to make a suit of exoskeleton (gadgeteer only plate with bracers' bonuses), but that's just for lulz.

I'd definitely tweak Lord - first I'd add special ability that would make him behave as if constantly affected by remove curse spell, then I'd probably change his class skill (shield would be ok, but offhand Diamond-Eyes, man :( ).

I might tweak Samurai's lightning strike, but I'm not sure how it should work, would definitely make polearms one of their skills and tweak available spears accordingly, would also give them starting points in spears and bows.

I'd probably tweak lvl1 offensive spells - for example there is no functional difference between Frost and Acid Splash - I'd probably flavour those spells up a bit in a manner similar to Mind Stab - for example chance to blind on Acid Splash, chance to slow on Frost, and not sure what on Energy Blast and Make Wounds.

I'd try tweaking monsters' resistances in a way that would still make sense but eliminate grading of realms (for example fire rules early, but then sucks horribly).

I'd seek to eliminate feminazi dominance (not only do they have awesome exclusive class, but also a whole class of items - pendants, usually with +stamina - to themselves, males should get something to offset this).

I'd make non-specialty gear less class restricted - for example I don't know why my Bard can't use musket.

I'd remove most of Ninja's weapon restriction - those guys are supposed to be resourceful, I can get why they wouldn't use a big-ass two handed sword or warhammer, but fucking stiletto?

I'd allow Ninja use at least clothes and robes - that wouldn't change game balance but would help with those dual class ninjas having to walk around butt-naked 'till at least Crock.

As for the axes, I'd make most 1h ones offhand-enabled, and, like I said, (at least) triple damage output of Axe of Many Runes.

I'd probably make some shortswords offhand-enabled too - at least regular shortsword and Cutlass of The Damned come to mind.

I might tweak RPCs somewhat (including Sexus), maybe immortalize Cleve somehow in a lulzy manner.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
I like dual combat for the Lord, but giving him shields isn't a bad idea.
Also, might have to give dual weapons to the fighter as well.
Axes: I'd give a bit of a damage buff to some onehanded ones, such as beast axe and plague axe (especially plague axe) and make them off-hand equipable.
Plus, with axes I've noticed something: they are the weapons that most often (I believe anyway) give double damage bonuses. That woodsman's axe and beast axe are examples.
I'd also create some others that do double damage to a specific type of creature, save for daemons and androids. That appears to be the sword realm.
Also, I'd like to see a final fight against a fake Savant (wasn't there something like that in 7?) and then make the Savant battle insanely more difficult, and NOT have Vi Domina leave the party for that battle.

Maybe make the Sorceress battle tougher as well, with more cultists.
Also, make an upgraded form of the Death Lord. Don't think there is one actually.
Make some of the weapons like Vorpal Sword either drop at a lower level or change it up enough to where it's a good weapon.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
It always pissed me off like crazy.

Also, I was pissed royally that so many of the lesser swords weren't wieldable in either hand. I would think that at least the lighter blades would be useable in either or.

Would have also made the Rapax King much harder, given that he's king of the FUCKING RAPAX. He was surprisingly straight forward for such a badass.
I'd have doubled his life at least, given him a few more guards, and given him at least 3 attacks per turn. Plus, give him a weapon known as the King's Scepter, a mace that was so heavy it requires at least strength 75 to wield, but can be used by Fighters, Lords, Valks and does heavy damage for a 1 handed weapon, but also has other abilities with it.

I can go on. And on. And on.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
<Sigh> this game is quite brutal. Massive amounts of random encounters with monsters that spam all sorts of paralyzing, poisonous and nasty spells/attacks at you, inane puzzles,
Inane and evil, very evil. Wait until Munkharama puzzle with (afair) stones and chalices.

For this game I admit I have absolutely no qualms about using the Crusader Hint Book to solve inane puzzles. :smug:
I stopped playing Adventure games decades ago since I really don't have patience with illogical puzzles.

Rest/find a fountain/Take Staff of Stars in Munkharama.

What does that one do? I picked the Ring of Invisibility since I needed the extra dex for class changing, and of the items weapons is what I need the least.

Someone needs to do a LP.

Someone tried, but didn't finish it.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
David fucking Bradley how annoying Disease is in this game if you don't have the Cure Disease spell!
I found a way out of the Lost Temple and got back to Munkharama. One Cure Disease potion cost me half my money but my character had by now turned insane. I had to use about 200 spell points to make him sane again! :mad:

Since I hate grinding, and I won't head back to the Lost Temple until I've got the Cure Disease spell (should have picked it when I had the chance) where's a good place to explore next? South of Munkharama seems like a good place, since the encounters there were easier than the Lost Temple.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
You know, one thing I definitely wish is that the other status ailments were just as brutal as disease.
That fucking thing was devastating.
First time I played I got diseased and didn't realize how bad it was and it fucking wrecked my Dracon. Damn that was great.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
You know, one thing I definitely wish is that the other status ailments were just as brutal as disease.
That fucking thing was devastating.
First time I played I got diseased and didn't realize how bad it was and it fucking wrecked my Dracon. Damn that was great.

Funny, in another thread I just posted about how annoying disease is in Wiz 7.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, I saw that. It reminded me of disease in 8.
Such a great status, such a nasty one as well.

Especially when your Samurai wielding the Muramasa blade turns insane and turs on his comrades. Thankfully I reached the apothecary in Munkharama before that scenario had a chance to play out.

So I guess a good piece of advice in both Wiz 7 and 8 would be "get Cure Disease as soon as you can"?

rashiakas

Cipher
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Most of those changes you guys want can be done in a few minutes using the cosmic forge editor.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
What does that one do? I picked the Ring of Invisibility since I needed the extra dex for class changing, and of the items weapons is what I need the least.
Rechargable source of spell points with strength of (afair) 6. Mana Stone can be fine too.

Since I hate grinding, and I won't head back to the Lost Temple until I've got the Cure Disease spell (should have picked it when I had the chance) where's a good place to explore next? South of Munkharama seems like a good place, since the encounters there were easier than the Lost Temple.
I that direction lays Ukpyr. Good choice. Also you can travel north and explore mountains, rattkin ruins or just go to the Dyonysceus.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom