Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Worst Raped Game Franchise of All Time (Poll)

Which game franchise has been raped the worst?

• Fallout franchise (Fallout 3 & 4, Fallout 76)

• The Elder Scrolls franchise (Oblivion, Skyrim)

• Ultima franchise (Ultima 8 & 9, The Shroud of the Avatar, Underworld Ascendent)

• XCOM franchise (Interceptor, nuXCOM)

• Jagged Alliance franchise (Back in Action, JA Online, Flashback, JA: Rage)

• Baldur's Gate franchise (Beamdog Enhanced Editions)

• Dragon Age franchise (DA 2, DA:I)

• Diablo franchise (Diablo 3, Diablo: Immortal)

• Dungeon Keeper franchise

• Fable franchise

• Mass Effect franchise (Mass Effect 3, Andromeda)

• Battlefield franchise (Battlefield 5)

• Heroes of Might and Magic franchise (everything after 3, arguably 4)

• Some other game franchise

• Grimoire franchise (Kingkomrade)

• Sonic the Hedhehog franchise

• Sonic the Hedgehog franchise

• SimCity franchise

• Resident Evil franchise

• DOOM franchise

• Warhammer franchise

• Command & Conquer franchise

• Final Fantasy franchise

• Wizardry franchise

• The Settlers franchise

• Metal Gear franchise

• Civilization franchise

• Tom Clancy franchise

• Total War franchise

• Tomb Raider franchise

• Warcraft franchise

• Syndicate franchise

Results are only viewable after voting.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Anything that was purchased by EA. Bethesda turned Fallout into Oblivion with guns, but Fallout isn't as dear to me as to most Codexers. New Vegas was pretty good and that was made when the IP was already owned by Bethesda, so it's not all bad. Personally I'm more butthurt about how they raped Elder Scrolls - Morrowind is one of my all-time favorites and Oblivion destroyed everything I loved about it. But at least the rapey sequels are still single player RPGs with a high level of moddability, so modders keep fixing it.

Compared to what EA does with literally every IP they get their slimy hands on, Bethesda's treatment of Fallout and their own Elder Scrolls series is mild.

EA bought out tons of studios, both oldschool and newschool. Every RPG fan has something to be butthurt about when it comes to EA, from oldschool Ultima fans to newschool Bioware fans. Same with strategy game fans, simulation fans, etc etc. There's not a single beloved genre that hasn't been molested by EA's flaccid cock. The list of studios that were acquired and subsequently dismantled by EA is huge. Origin, Westwood, Bullfrog, Maxis, Bioware, Virgin Interactive, Phenomic, Mythic, DICE, Pandemic.

Series that got slowly diluted and destroyed by EA: Command & Conquer, Dungeon Keeper, the entire "Sim" franchise (Sim City, The Sims, Sim [insert countless others]), Ultima, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, the entire fucking line of Star Wars video games, Wing Commander, Need for Speed, Syndicate, Medal of Honor. And I'm probably forgetting some.

I didn't even mention IPs they own and haven't made a game in for over a decade, they just sit in their vault never to be revived again (and if they do, you can be 100% sure it will be a mobile game driven by microtransactions).

Other studios may turn beloved IPs into casualized console trash, but EA goes one step further. They're the king of microtransactions, shoehorning them even into the most unlikely games. They also turn everything into a fucking mobile game, even Dungeon Keeper and Ultima.

EA's track record is such that if your studio gets acquired by them, you have a maximum of 5 years or so before you are turned into a shovelware-producing shadow of your former self, with your new products bearing no resemblance to the classics that once made your studio popular. The latest example of that is Bioware, which used to be known for RTwP RPGs with decent storytelling and character interaction, and has now been reduced to a producer of looter-shooters.

If you like games, chances are EA has raped at least one studio you cared about.

vota DC

Augur
Anything that was purchased by EA. Bethesda turned Fallout into Oblivion with guns, but Fallout isn't as dear to me as to most Codexers. New Vegas was pretty good and that was made when the IP was already owned by Bethesda, so it's not all bad. Personally I'm more butthurt about how they raped Elder Scrolls - Morrowind is one of my all-time favorites and Oblivion destroyed everything I loved about it. But at least the rapey sequels are still single player RPGs with a high level of moddability, so modders keep fixing it.

Compared to what EA does with literally every IP they get their slimy hands on, Bethesda's treatment of Fallout and their own Elder Scrolls series is mild.

EA bought out tons of studios, both oldschool and newschool. Every RPG fan has something to be butthurt about when it comes to EA, from oldschool Ultima fans to newschool Bioware fans. Same with strategy game fans, simulation fans, etc etc. There's not a single beloved genre that hasn't been molested by EA's flaccid cock. The list of studios that were acquired and subsequently dismantled by EA is huge. Origin, Westwood, Bullfrog, Maxis, Bioware, Virgin Interactive, Phenomic, Mythic, DICE, Pandemic.

Series that got slowly diluted and destroyed by EA: Command & Conquer, Dungeon Keeper, the entire "Sim" franchise (Sim City, The Sims, Sim [insert countless others]), Ultima, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, the entire fucking line of Star Wars video games, Wing Commander, Need for Speed, Syndicate, Medal of Honor. And I'm probably forgetting some.

I didn't even mention IPs they own and haven't made a game in for over a decade, they just sit in their vault never to be revived again (and if they do, you can be 100% sure it will be a mobile game driven by microtransactions).

Other studios may turn beloved IPs into casualized console trash, but EA goes one step further. They're the king of microtransactions, shoehorning them even into the most unlikely games. They also turn everything into a fucking mobile game, even Dungeon Keeper and Ultima.

EA's track record is such that if your studio gets acquired by them, you have a maximum of 5 years or so before you are turned into a shovelware-producing shadow of your former self, with your new products bearing no resemblance to the classics that once made your studio popular. The latest example of that is Bioware, which used to be known for RTwP RPGs with decent storytelling and character interaction, and has now been reduced to a producer of looter-shooters.

If you like games, chances are EA has raped at least one studio you cared about.

The fun thing is that they were able to make something decent like C&C Generals (despite many features were cut shortly before release) or Battle for Middle Earth but they *evolved* with stuff like C&C 4. Their main target has always been to stop others to make games, they have a 20 years old license to do Dune games too.

Dodo1610

Arcane
Gothic is clearly missing especially since it's currently being raped with the Remake.
JA is clearly suffering more than Fallout since all the new games were low budget, low effort garbage Fallout games were at least more or less AAA productions and it even got New Vegas.

Nyast

Cipher
Ultima, Ultima, Ultima. Pagan was decline, UIX simply shit over the franchise, and Ascendent developers took a dump on the whole thing 20 years after.

Suicidal

Arcane
C&C for me. The Fallout rape was pretty brutal but I simply haven't played any of the Bethesda Fallout games because I immediately saw that I wouldn't like them because I don't like Bethesda's game design. So as a result I kinda don't give a shit about any of that.

C&C 4 I did play and I tried to like it but it was so terrible and felt more like some cheap mobile game version of an RTS than the type of RTS the series was prior to this. The actual mobile game announcement at E3 was painful to watch. All of this left a much more sour taste in my mouth than the Fallout travesty.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Mass Effect Andromeda and the Dragon Age sequels are pretty bad. Fallout 3 is of course super derp compared to the originals, but it was many years later and a different team entirely (and New Vegas redeemed the franchise). As I said in the "biggest decline" thread, Oblivion is absolutely the game that felt like the biggest kick in the balls. Morrowind to Oblivion is a direct line in a relatively normal amount of development time by the same developer, and feels like a total ass rape of what made Morrowind great.

Citizen

C&C 4 I did play and I tried to like it but it was so terrible and felt more like some cheap mobile game version of an RTS than the type of RTS the series was prior to this. The actual mobile game announcement at E3 was painful to watch. All of this left a much more sour taste in my mouth than the Fallout travesty.

Yep, that was a world record drop in quality. Maybe not so much for people that didn't like the RA3, but I did and expected the new C&C to be just as fun

Nito

Educated
Patron
As much as I'd like to say Command & Conquer, the series I lament the most; C&C got 5 incredibly strong titles and 3 pretty good ones (depending on who you ask). Undoubtledly the answer is Fallout, a series that still managed to be a classic despite getting strangled in the crib.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
I would say TES.

Next up would be Fallout. Followed by pretty much all games companies that EA touch of shit smeared all over - although in Ultima's case I can't say it was raped, I mean sure they killed with U9, but that was it, they didn't milk it to death and Ascendant is technically not apart of it.

There's some odd choices here:

Sonic?
While mostly having a bad ouput ever since the 6th generation has enjoyed some pretty good titles, both in 2D - Sonic Mania was released in 2017 and is easily one of the top 5 best Sonic games - and even in the 3D realm - it's actually kind of funny how one year they finally realise the secret formula for a good 3D title but the following they seem to completely forgot every lesson they've learned.

Metal Gear?
The series should've ended in MGS3 like Kojima wanted and MGS4 was the equivalent of the Star Wars prequels, but that's it really. Peace Walker was nice and MGS5 has an indisputably excellent gameplay and an AI that puts 99.9% of videogames to shame. Plus the spin-offs haven't been bad, AC!D was fun, Revegeance has some issues but it's Revengeance, and people only bitched about Survive's because of the whole Kojima-Konami debacle.

Resident Evil?
Only a edgy contrarian would say 4 was bad game, and 5 and 6 while stupid where pretty fun. The series even got a small revival with RE7 and REmake 2 (although it's obvious that didn't last long now that REmake 3 is out).

I would say the most underrated game franchise in that list in terms of a good long rape, are the Tom Clancy games.
Not counting Rainbow 6 Siege, which is now a fucking CS competitor, there wasn't been a single good game since Double Agent. That is 14 years and 19 shit games!

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I didn't even have to vote to unlock the results and know what the general consensus would be because it's a foregone conclusion that the Fallout franchise is going to be the primary target of Codex's circle-jerk of collective butthurt here but I would have preferred to see the Gothic series on the ballot too but I ended up voting for Final Fantasy anyway.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
I vote SimCity. Most of the games on the list are either still alive or have remasters or whatever. SimCity got raped so hard it died.

In a way SimCity is still alive. It just changed its name to Cities - Skylines.

curds

Magister
Was gonna vote Fallout, but at least you can still buy the original games. Not a massive fan of BG but that series is the most fucked because you can't even buy the real, original versions anymore.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Not a massive fan of BG but that series is the most fucked because you can't even buy the real, original versions anymore.
https://af.gog.com/game/baldurs_gate_enhanced_edition?as=1649904300
Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition includes the classic Baldur's Gate: The Original Saga.

https://af.gog.com/game/baldurs_gate_2_enhanced_edition?as=1649904300
Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition includes the classic Baldur's Gate 2 Complete

Last edited by a moderator:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The enhanced editions have all been $5 in numerous sales and come with the originals. Also the originals were on GOG for years before the EEs came out, with similar sale prices. People just like to bitch and whine.

Cael

Arcane
The enhanced editions have all been $5 in numerous sales and come with the originals. Also the originals were on GOG for years before the EEs came out, with similar sale prices. People just like to bitch and whine.
There are some of us who refuse to pay plagiarisers and standover men.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom