Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The XP for Combat Megathread! DISCUSS!

in general I think XP for treasure and quests is superior.

Why treasure? Because it rewards creative gameplay AND gameplay design. Getting the same amount of XP no matter if you kill the monsters or just sneak past them or steal it or whatever meas people don't feel they are 'missing' something by taking alternate non-combat options. In many RPG's people may try to work the non-combat solution and then will end up killing the monsters or quest giver anyway, all so they can get the XP they feel they woould otherwise be missing.

Only rewarding quest completion and treasure eliminates this issue and I think it creates an entire atmosphere whereby both the player and game designers start thinking about more creative and varied solutions to these issues. All of this leads to better RPG experience IMO. Combat should still be the main focus of RPG's IMO, but it is often too heavily weighted and much of this is because of how experience points have been historically handled

(although certain versions of D&D used to reward very little monster XP and much more quest and treasure XP -- even trap detection and removal---they also encouraged GM's to reward specific players XP for creative solutions or even witty conversation in order to try and provoke varied gameplay etc.)

Hmmm. Why do I have the impression that people here don't really read each other posts and arguing with imaginary strawmen? Oh, that's the 'dex, right.

What I don't really get is why powergamers, who use diplomacy and then kill the quest-giver are the reason to remove killEXP altogether. One - if my GMing days thought me something is that there always would be munchkins playing games (ты их в дверь, они в окно). And if you implement one homerule to prevent the abuse of a game's core mechanic, they will find another. That's to say, munchkins are a problem for a GM and other players, and they should be dealt with. But why are they considered as a problem when they play CRPG alone? They aren't hurting anyone's enjoyment of the game, not even themselves. "But it's wrong way to play the game!", you'll say. Fine, it's wrong, but revamping all XP system which will affect people who haven't ever killed a quest giver in any game - why is it believed to be a best solution? For example, in tabletop ADnD long-ish campaigns there sometimes would rise a problem of alignment, if DM wasn't experienced or was plainly dumb. Some player with a trololo tendency would roll an evil character and would go merrily fucking with both party objectives and DM's story. Smart DM would use this tendency to create additional conflict, while ensuring that player won't fuck up their NPCs. Inexperienced DM would remove all evil alignments altogether in their game. It's not a direct comparison, of course, but the approach to some problem is somewhat similar.

Two - let's not mix flies and beefsteaks, when citing the reason why KillEXP was good or bad concept. It was in IE games because it was ADnD's core mechanic, which's because wargame roots, abstraction, gameism and so on. To argue that it isn't realistic - well, second edition ADnD (and the former, and the later editions as well) weren't really realistic in many aspects. When Obsidian created the kickstarter campaign for PoE, they have said multiple times that one of their goals is to recreate IE-game's feel. For me one of those "feelings" lies in game's mechanics. I don't need them to use ADnD rule set, but coming with improvements which will change the core game - well. I'm not sure that it's a good idea, that's all. I, for example, can live without combat experience, as I already have said multiple times. But combat for exp and loot was one of IE games' staples, and I can very well imagine that for some people it would be a deal-breaker. And this doesn't make them wrong or degenerate.

Three - a question for megathread regulars[1]! Are experience points awarded to a player at the end of the larger part of the game, or right at the end of an objective?

([1] And that's why I really don't like megathreads, because it's fucking impossible to find info there if you don't hang in them day and night.)

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Revamping all XP system which will affect people who haven't ever killed a quest giver in any game - why is it believed to be a best solution?
What no one has said yet is why it hurts the gameplay experience to remove combat XP. We have dozens of posts saying there are other ways to solve the problem, or it isn't broke so it shouldn't be fixed ... but no one has really said why combat XP is a good, positive thing and a triumph of design.

When Obsidian created the kickstarter campaign for PoE, they said that one of their goals is to recreate IE-game's feel. For me one of those "feelings" lies in game's mechanics. I can very well imagine that for some people it would be a deal-breaker. And this doesn't make them wrong or degenerate.
Can't argue with this. If someone only wants IE mechanics, and they recognize that this is not an IE mechanic, then they have discovered a mechanic that they do not want. Is this a "betrayal" on the part of Obsidian? Maybe. Personally, I don't care, as I agree with them that it will make a better game. I always expected them to make conscientious improvements.

And anyway, I haven't really seen anyone here saying, "Any deviation from IE is bad!". It's noble of you to stand up for the theoretical "some people", but no one here is really that shallow ... are they?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"but no one has really said why combat XP is a good, positive thing and a triumph of design."

That's an easy one and many have said so.

Combat xp rewards the player for overcoming a challenge.

Simple, huh?

Now, not every RPG needs it. I was fine with SRR not having combat xp. Other games also have had no combat xp and it worked out to different degrees. Some failed.

People claim that xp for combat is bad and it rewards 'degenerate' play btu that's illogical stupid combat in games that are focused on combat and forces player to take part.

People should be rewarded for successfully over coming a challenge. That's what xp represents. It's why you get xp for completing quests, and what not as well.

People whining that giving xp for combat hurts dialogue focused characetrs but does not compute when combat is forced on everyone.
\
And, also, trying to balancing the game for retarts who do quests than kill quest giver is fukkin' retarted. Balancing the game because some idiot feels the need to hunt down every last xfart for 7xp each is pathetic design.

REWARD THE PLAYER FOR OVERCOMING CHALLENGES!

That's what xp is for. Be it for combat, dialogue skills, quest completion, exploration, or whatever bullshit.

GAME FUKKIN' OVER.

What no one has said yet is why it hurts the gameplay experience to remove combat XP. We have dozens of posts saying there are other ways to solve the problem, or it isn't broke so it shouldn't be fixed ... but no one has really said why combat XP is a good, positive thing and a triumph of design.
Erm, there's not much to be said for this, people love the sense of progression, else we wouldn't be seeing so-called "RPG elements" in so many games, both from big publishers and indies. I won't argue whether it's inherently good or bad approach, I think it's a matter of personal preference. People like to be rewarded for their actions, especially if said action required an effort. If combat is interesting and tough (while some can say winning is a reward in itself) people both like to be rewarded with XP and loot, and are conditioned by playing previous games that it should be so. Deviating from that formula will create something of a cognitive dissonance[1].

Can't argue with this. If someone only wants IE mechanics, and they recognize that this is not an IE mechanic, then they have discovered a mechanic that they do not want. Is this a "betrayal" on the part of Obsidian? Maybe. Personally, I don't care, as I agree with them that it will make a better game. I always expected them to make conscientious improvements.
Eh. Where did you ever find a word "BETRAYAL!!1" in my post? I just stated that it stands to reason if something is marketed as a "spiritual successor", then it should have the core elements of a source. Spiritual successor may iterate on a predecessor's elements, but they still should be present. For example of misleading marketing one can look at Dragon Age and Bioware's shameless marketing as "BG's spiritual successor". It specifically targeted the crowd who played and enjoyed BG games, but at the end the only element which really resembled BG was a party drama and Bio's famous cliches, and also dividing game in parts. And I'm not saying that Obsidian does this, or that they betrayed anyone, it's just that combat XP was one of the core mechanics of ADnD and, by extension, of IE games, and ditching it altogether isn't a 100% positive thing.

And anyway, I haven't really seen anyone here saying, "Any deviation from IE is bad!". It's noble of you to stand up for the theoretical "some people", but no one here is really that shallow ... are they?
Mate, I wasn't whiteknighting for anyone, don't try to paint it that way. Some people, who were raised on ADnD and 3rd edition DnD probably, IMO, are conditioned to find KillEXP one of the core elements of a RPG. But degree of importance of that element would vary from person to person, that's all I've said.

[1] It seems that I'm somewhat agreeing in this part of my post with Volourn. Wow, there's a first time for everything. :?

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
XP/build points should be given for overcoming a challenge, I totally agree with Volourn there.
But I would say that overcoming a challenge should be winning the fight, not killing a single enemy within the fight.
Nothing is gained when fighting three enemies, killing two, then the last one gets you. Instead, you should gain XP for having killed three enemies (or a general won-a-fight-reward, whatever fits) once you won the fight.

Giving XP for single kills encourages munchkinism a lot. For example, in most MMOs, you get XP for every single killed enemy. This encourages players to just pick some enemies, then leave. There is no sense of a "challenging situation" that would need to be solved.
It also leads to players wanting to kill things just for XP instead of wanting to kill things to help solving a problem. So it really does hurt roleplaying.

Funny enough, in Defiance, which is an MMO shooter with VERY light RPG strapped onto it, they do it really good.
You do gain minimal XP for every kill - which I guess is because kids these days need constant rewards. There is a number popping up when killing something - yay!
But the vast majority of XP and loot is gained by doing quests, defending against invasions, etc. Nobody there is running around randomly killing things. Everyone is following a special purpose, which really leads to a much nicer overall experience.

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Simple, huh?
Yep. Turns out PoE does this anyway! Phew! Good thing I told you. Now that you know, I guess you're OK with it, huh?

People claim that xp for combat is bad and it rewards 'degenerate' play
For the record, I'm not interested in 'degenerate play' or whatever. I'm interested in equal rewards for equal solutions.

People whining that giving xp for combat hurts dialogue focused characetrs but does not compute when combat is forced on everyone.
Shrug. That's not me, not in this context. Every PoE character is a combat character, so that would be dumb.

If we were talking RPGs in general, that'd be a different story, but let's not open that box of crumpets.

And, also, trying to balancing the game for retarts who do quests than kill quest giver is fukkin' retarted. Balancing the game because some idiot feels the need to hunt down every last xfart for 7xp each is pathetic design.
Mmmm, don't agree. Bad design is giving a wonderful reward to OCD xvart hunters, but not to the guy who does the job just as well even though he lets some things live.

REWARD THE PLAYER FOR OVERCOMING CHALLENGES!
Yep. This game does it. So everyone's happy, or so you'd think.

People love the sense of progression, else we wouldn't be seeing so-called "RPG elements" in so many games, both from big publishers and indies. I won't argue whether it's inherently good or bad approach, I think it's a matter of personal preference. People like to be rewarded for their actions, especially if said action required an effort. If combat is interesting and tough (while some can say winning is a reward in itself) people both like to be rewarded with XP and loot, and are conditioned by playing previous games that it should be so.
So basically the Skinner box is a good thing and desirable in my entertainment products. OK, that's a valid perspective. Let's put this mildly: I disagree.

Deviating from that formula will create something of a cognitive dissonance.
I don't disagree here. Personally I am OK with a game that tries something new (especially when the new idea makes good sense). If IE addicts get headaches and cry because something isn't exactly what they're used to, good. They need to have their horizons broadened. If P&P games didn't variate on the original formula, we'd all still be playing Basic D&D. Fuck, we wouldn't even have D&D, just Chainmail. The P&P games I play today make D&D look like the childish silliness it is. Fine for kids. I'm delighted that my CRPGs are starting to grow up a little bit too. XP addicts need their brains stretched.

Eh. Where did you ever find a word "BETRAYAL!!1" in my post?
Sorry, I'm not trying to paint you as a lunatic. But you did talk about Obsidian stating their intent to succeed IE, and then went on to point out that this was one way in which they are not doing so. Why did you bring it up if not to call attention to their ... call it hypocrisy, betrayal, incompetence, a change of heart, or whatever you want, but you clearly mean to show that, in making this change, they're not living up to what was advertised.

I just stated that it stands to reason if something is marketed as a "spiritual successor", then it should have the core elements of a source.
I don't disagree, but I do disagree with your later statement that combat XP is a "core element" of the IE games or D&D in general.

Mate, I wasn't whiteknighting for anyone, don't try to paint it that way. Some people, who were raised on ADnD and 3rd edition DnD probably, IMO, are conditioned to find KillEXP one of the core elements of a RPG. But degree of importance of that element would vary from person to person, that's all I've said.
Herm. When you say "some people may feel this way and we must take those thoughts and feelings into consideration", I'm sorry, I can't see it any other way. Let these people speak for themselves. Maybe we'll get lucky and find out that nobody is actually that dumb. :)

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Yep. Turns out PoE does this anyway! Phew! Good thing I told you. Now that you know, I guess you're OK with it, huh?"

No, it doesn't. Not at all. Not even close.

"For the record, I'm not interested in 'degenerate play' or whatever. I'm interested in equal rewards for equal solutions."

Equality is for losers. And, 2 differerent solutions should NEVER be equal or why have them be different. Sometimes diplomacy shoudl give you more xp sometimes not.

"Yep. This game does it."

No. SSR does. M&M 6 does. PE does not. CAPICHE!?!

Telengard

Arcane
Way back, when d&d was a purely dungeon delving exercise, getting adventurer experience for killing things and taking their stuff was a fine solution for measuring character growth as a skilled adventurer - the more one killed and looted, the better one became at killing and looting. That is what the system was intended to measure, and that is what it did.

But when the game moved out of that to epic storyfaggotry and quest rewards, adventurer xp becomes a less and less elegant solution for the issues at hand. It was no longer rewarding people for what they were actually doing. And then, quest rewards giving adventurer xp always has the usual oddity of the same fed-ex quest giving more adventurer xp for performing the same action simply because the task was assigned later in the game, even though it was no more difficult to accomplish. And, of course, the usual silliness of the fact that now mailmen should be the most experienced adventurers in all the land, since they are constantly delivering bundles of letters and packages to multiple people every day, and thus should be constantly earning lots and lots of phat adventurer xp. But besides the silliness, there is the issue that quest rewards are a rating of where one is in the story, not of how skilled the adventurers are at adventuring. And thus, characters are getting adventurer experience for simply listening to a story.

Now, for pure storyfaggotry, like the Storyteller RPGs (Vampire, Werewolf, etc), dropping adventurer xp and rating larping quality and rewarding it is an elegant solution to the situation at hand. But if the larp was not rated for quality, it would have the same issue encountered in combat oriented games with flat quest grants as the sole source of adventurer xp. And that is: xp is a complex and rigidly numerical solution to a really simple problem - how powerful is the party going to be at any given point.

Once combat xp is gone from a combat-oriented game, there is no viable reason to retain the complex and numerical system that is xp. Once that is the case, it is a far better and more elegant solution to do away with xp entirely and do as Infinitron suggested, and just have progression occur at certain set points in the story, such as at the end of chapters. Because the player's progression is already a fixed value anyway, since it is derived solely by where they are in the story. So, then, it is much more elegant design if the progression is decided by the story, and doesn't contain all of that unnecessary math that is the xp system. For one, all of those quest rewards have to be programmed, tested, balanced, and debugged. That, when it's not doing anything to the gameplay. For another, players have to track an arbitrary list of numerical values. And people don't like math. That, when the numbers have no meaning, since it is simply a measure of which quests one has completed.

Once you are no longer measuring how experienced adventurers are at adventuring, there is no reason to retain a complex system intended to measure the adventurers' experience at adventuring. When xp is all about where one is in the story, it is best to ditch the unnecessary complexity and have the story grant powers as the story needs to. It is silly to have a complex solution to a simple problem.

So basically the Skinner box is a good thing and desirable in my entertainment products. OK, that's a valid perspective. Let's put this mildly: I disagree.
People often like to cite Skinner's box as an evil mechanic, while it simply demonstrated one of the principles of a human's (well, and a rat's, behaviorists sure do liked their rats) behavior from a behaviorist's perspective. I don't adhere to behaviorist theory entirely, but they had their moments. Skinner's box was a conditioning experiment, it taught a rat to behave in a way that rewarded repetitive, similar or exact actions over and over. You can say that grindan MMO use mechanics akin to Operant conditioning chamber, because grinding doesn't really have neither challenge, nor risk, so game rewards low-risk, low-challenge repetitive actions, which without said reward would be really boring. What I have said, though, it's that a game should reward winning challenging combat encounter with experience points, if the game uses experience points system. Giving reward for solving a problem which requres tactical skills on a player's part != Skinner's box.

I don't disagree here. Personally I am OK with a game that tries something new (especially when the new idea makes good sense). If IE addicts get headaches and cry because something isn't exactly what they're used to, good. They need to have their horizons broadened. If P&P games didn't variate on the original formula, we'd all still be playing Basic D&D. Fuck, we wouldn't even have D&D, just Chainmail. The P&P games I play today make D&D look like the childish silliness it is. Fine for kids. I'm delighted that my CRPGs are starting to grow up a little bit too. XP addicts need their brains stretched.
Well, in oWoD Storyteller could reward a player for an outstanding combat effort though. Many other systems have interesting mechanics that do reward combat as well as overcoming non-combat challenges. Also, I never said that ADnD was an ~unattainable ideal~, I said that if you say that you're making an oldschool RPG maybe it's unwise to ditch old-school mechanics.

Sorry, I'm not trying to paint you as a lunatic. But you did talk about Obsidian stating their intent to succeed IE, and then went on to point out that this was one way in which they are not doing so. Why did you bring it up if not to call attention to their ... call it hypocrisy, betrayal, incompetence, a change of heart, or whatever you want, but you clearly mean to show that, in making this change, they're not living up to what was advertised.
"hypocrisy, betrayal, incompetence, a change of heart", whelp. Where did I ever state that, talking about Obsidian at least. No, I just think that Sawyer has a burning desire to innovate and improve, and while it's not a bad drive in itself, it doesn't always lead to good results.

I don't disagree, but I do disagree with your later statement that combat XP is a "core element" of the IE games or D&D in general.
But combat XP is a core element of (A)DnD systems. At least the first three editions, never played the fourth one.

Herm. When you say "some people may feel this way and we must take those thoughts and feelings into consideration", I'm sorry, I can't see it any other way. Let these people speak for themselves. Maybe we'll get lucky and find out that nobody is actually that dumb. :)
Eh. I'd argue that they aren't "dumb", it's just for you engaging in combat probably is an intrinsic motivation in itself, and for them (and, partly, me) engaging in combat has an extrinsic motivation, i.e. combat is a reward in itself VS overcoming challenge (including combat) should net a reward or isn't really worth it.

Gah, that selective quoting is a pain in the ass though.

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
"but no one has really said why combat XP is a good, positive thing and a triumph of design."

One thing that came to my mind, especially with NPC, is - very often a NPC worthy of killing for XP is also an interesting challenge actually worthy of XP. One example would be Shandalar from BG1, a special quest giver who sends you into new location in add-on, and it is obvious devs did not want you to kill him. His AC was so good you could only hit him on maybe natural 20, and he had magic resistance, and he teleported away with a script after a while... and I think the only reliable way to kill him was to attack before going into quest, thus skipping quest.
But he was worthy of what, 10000 xp and had some good loot. Noone asked player to kill him, but it was a challenge to find right tactic.
Just like noone asked player to face Drizzt or his party, clean beholder lairs, lich tombs, fight random adventuring parties... I wonder, if you kill ogre without any quest, will you get something?

Btw, objective-based XP also promotes it's own behaviour in players - namely getting into every quest no matter if it makes sense for the character or not. An example of that would be Bloodlines. You be an elitist ventrue or butt ugly nosferatu, you might want to break into every room, hack every computer, pick every lock, crawl through vents like a ninja - all to hunt for maximum character points.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
What I don't really get is why powergamers, who use diplomacy and then kill the quest-giver are the reason to remove killEXP altogether. One - if my GMing days thought me something is that there always would be munchkins playing games (ты их в дверь, они в окно). And if you implement one homerule to prevent the abuse of a game's core mechanic, they will find another. That's to say, munchkins are a problem for a GM and other players, and they should be dealt with. But why are they considered as a problem when they play CRPG alone? They aren't hurting anyone's enjoyment of the game, not even themselves. "But it's wrong way to play the game!", you'll say.

That's a thing I too don't understand. You read a lot of "Now finally you can't kill quest givers for xp anymore" but I really wonder... why is that a problem? I mean, don't get me wrong - I never killed quest givers. It would kill my immersion. But as you say, in a cRPG why shouldn't powergamers be allowed to powergame? I don't have to do it after all. It all comes down to "You're playing it wrong" and well, the codex laughed at Tim Schafer when he said that but now we are doing it ourselves? I don't think there's a "wrong" way to play a game as long as you enjoy it.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
Yep. Turns out PoE does this anyway! Phew! Good thing I told you. Now that you know, I guess you're OK with it, huh?

Nah, PoE rewards you for completing an objective/quest, not for overcoming a challenging fight. Case in point, Brennecke wasn't rewarded when he (finally) overcame mighty beetles of humiliation but he sure as hell was rewarded when he rolled over that slow, one-dimensional ogre.

If IE games (supposedly) rewarded mass killings, PoE rewards bounty hunter like mentality - kill only those critters that are part of fetch/kill quests (those unfortunate souls for whom DM Sawyer put a price on their heads). Having only one source of character growth (quests) also promotes certain behaviour and limits player choice.

Now I certainly see advantages of no kill XP system, I just disagree that it's a 100% perfect solution with no drawbacks for a tactical IE successor type game in which every class is a monster in combat. In FPS/RPG/Stealth hybrids (Bloodlines, Deus EX etc.) sure, I think no kill XP system is perfect.

Zombra

Patron
Good post SV.
Giving reward for solving a problem which requres tactical skills on a player's part != Skinner's box.
Agreed, but what most of us have been talking about really is Skinner's box. "Hey look, a squirrel, it's worth 2xp, better kill it." Players have been conditioned not only to kill everything in sight, but to expect a cookie for every murder.

As for rewarding problem-solving, that's exactly what PoE seems to be attempting. Does it give piecemeal rewards for every step of the way? Maybe not, but does it need to? Killing the beetles is just an obstacle that's part and parcel of dealing with the ogre; otherwise, there's no reason to do it except "for the exercise". One can certainly argue that doing stuff "for the exercise (xp)" is a valid style of gameplay, but there are certainly just as valid game styles that only reward results.

Well, in oWoD Storyteller could reward a player for an outstanding combat effort though. Many other systems have interesting mechanics that do reward combat as well as overcoming non-combat challenges.
Sure. No one here ever said that combat XP was an abomination that needs to be purged from every game.

Also, I never said that ADnD was an ~unattainable ideal~, I said that if you say that you're making an oldschool RPG maybe it's unwise to ditch old-school mechanics.
Sure, maybe. I don't really see how it can bite them though. Untold thousands will play the game without ever caring about where their XP comes from as long as they level up once in a while. Some hard core critics will gnash their teeth and wail about the change and loss of "freedom to grind", and others will defend the increase in player agency in problem solving. At the end of the day, it's a new game and a new system, and this isn't going to make or break it for anybody.

"hypocrisy, betrayal, incompetence, a change of heart", whelp. Where did I ever state that, talking about Obsidian at least. No, I just think that Sawyer has a burning desire to innovate and improve, and while it's not a bad drive in itself, it doesn't always lead to good results.
OK then, you tell me. Why did you bring up their stated intent and then illustrate their failure to meet that intent? Here it is:
[Combat XP] was in IE games because it was ADnD's core mechanic. When Obsidian created the kickstarter campaign for PoE, they have said multiple times that one of their goals is to recreate IE-game's feel. For me one of those "feelings" lies in game's mechanics.
Anyway, to respond to what you just said, I don't think that Sawyer can do no wrong or anything, but I believe that in this case he did a good job and the results will be sound. Innovation isn't always beneficial, but this time, I think it'll work out for the best.

But XP is a core element of (A)DnD systems. At least the first three editions, never played the fourth one.
I agree that XP is a core element of the systems, but disagree that tracking XP per kill was necessary or permanent to any of them. Do you remember when you got 1 XP for every gold piece worth of treasure you found? Find 5,000 GP on the ground, instantly receive 5,000 XP. How's that for random and senseless? The system underwent several revisions, and I don't think that any one iteration could be said to be the One True System of D&D XP. Even if they all had kill XP in common, they varied enough that it's not that big a reach to redefine it again 40 years later.

Eh. I'd argue that they aren't "dumb", it's just for you engaging in combat probably is an intrinsic motivation in itself, and for them (and, partly, me) engaging in combat has an extrinsic motivation, i.e. combat is a reward in itself VS overcoming challenge (including combat) should net a reward or isn't really worth it.
Yeah. I contend that that extrinsic motivation is one that we as players should seek to free ourselves of. I understand the joy of getting a cookie too, believe me. I feel better about gaming when I play to deeper, "realer" motivations. Having tried it both ways, I believe that letting go of the murder cookie is the way forward for RPGs.

Gah, that selective quoting is a pain in the ass though.
Heh, yeah.

Having only one source of character growth (quests) also promotes certain behaviour and limits player choice.
Sure, if you want to look at it like that, every time you take away an incentive here, you're essentially adding an incentive over there. If killing doesn't give discrete rewards, then on some level players will feel that they aren't "supposed" to be doing lots of killing. In this case, the behavior being promoted is to find and resolve all the conflicts written into the game. Is this really horribly limiting? Maybe, but I can think of worse behaviors to promote.

Now I certainly see advantages of no kill XP system, I just disagree that it's a 100% perfect solution with no drawbacks for a tactical IE successor type game in which every class is a monster in combat. In FPS/RPG/Stealth hybrids (Bloodlines, Deus EX etc.) sure, I think no kill XP system is perfect.
100% perfect? I don't think anyone thinks that. And it is an ... interesting ... decision, to say the least, for such a combat-heavy game. But personally I like what this decision tells me: getting the job done is the most important thing, how I get there is entirely up to me, and I'm not going to miss out on anything if I choose not to slaughter everything in sight.

I wish I was tired. I really need to get some sleep.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Since it's Josh's game he can in fact decide which behaviors he wants to discourage.

I've read a lot of legit arguments in favor of dropping combat xp. This is not one of them.

-> Quest givers are only worth 1 XP after you you help or spare them.

Problem solved.
Josh said:
given the choice between obfuscating a mechanic to appeal to irrationality and removing a mechanic entirely if it may be considered superfluous in the grand scheme of things, I'd prefer the latter.

Weasel
Since it's Josh's game he can in fact decide which behaviors he wants to discourage.
I hope a future kickstarter is marketed as "Josh's game" instead of name-dropping the likes of BG/IWD. Just think of the benefits: no annoying grognardian expectations, no compromises, no arguments over how things should be done in a project appealing to nostalgia. Then he'll be free to unleash his brilliance and produce that dream game you've been hinting at for so long... :)

imweasel

I've read a lot of legit arguments in favor of dropping combat xp. This is not one of them.

-> Quest givers are only worth 1 XP after you you help or spare them.

Problem solved.
Josh said:
given the choice between obfuscating a mechanic to appeal to irrationality and removing a mechanic entirely if it may be considered superfluous in the grand scheme of things, I'd prefer the latter.
"By gamers, for gamers me."

It is quite obvious that many people have a problem with this mechanic, so it would be better to a.) return to the old system or b.) create something different that pleases everyone. A NPC that rewards the player with XP and gold/items for killing creatures could possibly work.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It is quite obvious that many people have a problem with this mechanic,
Josh said:
I think the biggest thing I took away, more definitively than ever, is that how things actually work matters more than how people react to the idea of how they will work. I.e., there are really two levels of response to something in the game: the idea of what it is (often interpreted outside of the game) and the reality of what it is. The idea is often more upsetting or disconcerting to people than the reality.

so it would be better to a.) return to the old system
Absolutely not.

or b.) create something different that pleases everyone.
You can't please everyone.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
In the playthrough I am doing of the PoE beta, I am just going to different maps and attacking hostiles/picking the [attack them] option in wilderness/dungeon dialogues. I have cleared 2 wilderness maps, a dungeon and the Ogre cave. I haven't gained a level and the character sheet shows 10 000/15 000xp for next level (or something like that), which is what you start with.

How does that make you feel?

Shadenuat

Arcane
There's that thread at Obsi now: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/67140-experience-point-system-in-the-beta-and-onwards/
I think in the end the simpliest argument that Volourn made would make devs tweak their XP system, to not piss off "I walked into tomb full of shadows and fought for 5 hours and game didn't care a fuck" folk.

In the end there is no universal answer for anything in design, every game has it's own unique feel and things that support it and make it fun.

Alex

Arcane
Alex what are your thoughts about this?

This thread is really big, so chances are I am probably just parroting someone I didn't read. So apologies in advance.

Anyway, looking at this last page, people seem to be commenting about how XP is an incentive for the player to do the "objective" of the game. Like Telengard mentioned old D&D having XP for killing and looting. I think one big issue to discussing this is that this isn't the complete vision of what experience points are. To understand this better, let's turn to tabletop gaming for a second.

I think the best P&P rules systems don't treat experience as something taken for granted. In many games, or at least, in many groups, nowadays, the PCs evolve in XP more or less together. If one player is particularly gifted (maybe he roleplays really well, or maybe he comes up with good ideas every session), he might shoot ahead. If one is particularly obnoxious (maybe he makes death prone PCs every time), he might lag behind. But even the death prone guy will probably keep making characters that have more XP from the last, as he would be in disadvantage from the other PCs otherwise.

Now, the issue with a game like this is that XP isn't really its own mechanic. Experience points aren't really important per se. Depending on how you performed in the game, you might be a little ahead or behind the expected "power level", but in this kind of game, it is usually much more important how you used the XP than how much you have. That is, how you built your PC (games without some customization aspect played this way would be just boring). So, XP might be important so you can get that one ability that will make a "killer combo", almost like a M:tG card to a deck.

Now, many CRPGs* treat XP just like this, in that they are designed with specific character levels in mind for each area and dungeon and so on. Even the original Baldur's Gate did that. In these games, XP is a matter of time, and player skill comes in the form of character, or party, building. A good example of this is the many ways people try to "solo" BG2.

So, getting back to the issue at hand, since these games are more or less made with a specific level in mind for each area, it seems like a design mistake to have a "non finite" source of XP in the game. Especially when there is no risk attached. In a non iron man game, the player is never under any risk. The only thing stopping the player from using random encounters with weak monsters to increase his level is tedium. Furthermore, it seems like managing to go over the intended level for an area would only make the fights in the area easier and less interesting.

Thus, if CRPGs are going to have XP not be important in themselves, and if combat XP create design issues like these, keeping them seems counterproductive. I believe that is more or less the way Mr. Sawyer sees the issue. If the party is supposed to be in a certain level range at different points in the game, making XP work as a "progress meter" makes a whole lot of sense.

Let's take a break from quest only XP, however, and look at Planescape: Torment. PS:T had combat experience in it, but the great bulk of XP came from quest. Now, the thing about PS:T is that while combat was far from stellar, the game had a whole lot to explore. There were a lot of interesting PCs to talk to, a lot of interesting stories, a lot of strange items you could interact in dialog and a lot of quests that, rather than just sending you off somewhere to accomplish some tasks, worked as a way to show the strange setting.

My point is that experience in Planescape wasn't a measure of how far along you were in the story, but rather of how much of the game you had explored. It was somewhat similar, in fact, in how adventure game scores worked. Unfortunately, XP in PS:T wasn't really an example of how to implement it. First, even though XP was (mostly) a reward for exploring the world, getting experience didn't help much with the exploration itself (in paper and pen games, at least, the point of XP is that you get it for doing what the whole game is about, the point of the game, and getting it help you go further along with that. So, in an exploration centric game, earning XP should open up new exploration options). At best, it helped you raise your stats to open up new dialog options and made going through battles easier. It also allowed you to try out new mage spells, but those didn't usually do anything interesting in themselves either, they were more interesting as another element of the setting to experiment with.

But my point in bring this up is that although PS:T may look like an example of what quest only XP should be, I don't think it is what Mr. Sawyer has in mind. I think he wants simple to make XP more akin to a progress meter that will ensure the player can play through the game not worrying about XP in itself, but just how levels work. Maybe I am wrong here, and he is planning to have exploration be an important aspect of PoE, but I think his point is to make experience more "transparent".

Now, I mentioned that as CRPGs work nowadays, the XP is a more or less "broken" mechanic. Without risk and with level design and character systems made around certain expectations about the powers the PC have, it might seem counterproductive to defend the way RPGs have worked up to now. Even if you don't mind the incentives to replay battles ad nausea, the lack of risk behind combat mean you are still "breaking" the game. I believe the issue here is that some people have a more exploration based approach to combat.

In Baldur's Gate 2, there were many different ways to use your abilities. Different spells that needed to be used against different enemies, different ways to use summoned creatures, different ways to use thief traps, et ceteri multi. If you were only worried about winning the combat, things could get boring fast. Once you learned some good tricks to use in combat, you could always just repeat those, until a situation forced you to learn a new one. However, if you were curious to see all the different ways you could use to win, then there was a lot of variety in that game. This is also the case, I reckon, in the later Wizardry games. The character system in Wizardry 6 and 7, especially with the class change mechanics, is broken as hell. But seeing all the different character builds you could make was a lot of fun!

Now, from what I have gathered from PoE, the game isn't concerned so much with the exploration of character building and combat tactics, but rather in how they are used. The challenge comes not so much from finding the right combinations, but knowing which abilities and combination of abilities to use on different situations. I usually think of this a bit like the gameplay in moba games. That is not to say that PoE will be only about timing abilities, but rather that the challenge is more in executing plans correctly rather than coming up with them.

Now, I prefer games that are exploration based myself. The Ultima series is still my favorite CRPG series, so that shouldn't be a surprise. But given the game is going to focus in a different kind of gameplay anyway, I suppose choosing patching up the experience system makes sense. I think, however, they could have made XP work differently rather than simply diminishing its importance. For instance, I think an interesting idea would be to somehow measure how well the player does in each combat, and giving him XP depending on how well he does. You know, much like fighting games give a mark to the player on different categories depending on how he fights. Of course, the player would be given XP only once for each "kind" of fight. So fighting poorly the same group of goblins, or a very similar fight (no idea how to measure if a fight is similar to another, though) won't give you more XP. But improving your marks give you more XP. So the game is rewarding the point of the game, and the lack of risk isn't really an issue.

Of course, some people dislike the idea that there would be any difference in how much XP you get depending on how you solve problems. Of course some people prefer for XP to not be an element of the game at all. But I think this makes the game poorer. It makes the player's actions matter less, much like regenerating health and small inventory spaces in FPSs. It is true, if you want to maximize how many XPs you get, this means the game is more or less defining how you should play. But that is a decision you make by yourself. I will agree, however, that it is bad decisions to have different paths for accomplishing things be objectively better or worse than each other. But having different actions not be directly comparable to each other makes for a richer game than simply equalizing everything, I think. For instance, sneaking past an enemy encampment might give you less XP than killing them, but it might open different quests or give you different options if you later can talk with the enemies after you killed their boss, allowing you to hire them yourself.

Now, I think there is room for a lot more interesting XP systems. I originally wanted to look at interesting P&P XP systems and comment on how they could be implemented, but this post is long enough already, so maybe next time.

*One example of CRPG that didn't treat XP just as a "fact of life" is Fallout. Because of its very open advancement system, and world design, the game instead encouraged the player to simply explore the many options. Of course, as mentioned before, BG had an important exploration aspect in its party building feature, but fallout was all about exploration. In fact, I think a Fallout game where XP worked more or less like an adventure game's scoring system, where you get XP for finding and/or doing secrets besides moving the game forward could work really well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom