Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Things T:TON Did Right and Constructive Criticism for a Sequel

Iri

Educated
There already is a thread to crap all over T:TON so let's try to keep that in the release thread.

Inevitably InExile will try and figure out what they did right and wrong with this game. They will probably do an internal review or something and go looking for feedback from outside parties.

The Codex is ridiculous and also really good at tearing games apart and pointing out what works. If InExile do decide to do a sequel/expansions/restore-cut-content it will be a no-brainer to look on the Codex to get feedback.

Criticisms aside, what did people like or want to see more of?

What was done right?

What suggestions do people have that could save alot of time, energy and money (it is obvious they ran out) for a possible sequel?

• :thumbsup:

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
I am afraid MCA doesn't want to do that for some imperscrutable reason.

But yeah, basically, "force" somehow MCA to make Chris Avellone: The Game

waveplay

Literate
I'd say if you're gonna make a game that has such a focus on dialog and dialog trees, let the players maximize the dialog interface. In fact, they should add that functionality in an update.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
What was done right?

- Most of the companions were likeable enough and the plot was, at it's core, good.
- I liked the Bloom and think you could have connected it better with the other parts of the story (that thing could have been something of a gross source of ressources for Saigus Cliff or something like that).
-The build up of the locations was not bad. We got a medieval city and stopped with giant guts. Not bad.

What suggestions do people have that could save alot of time, energy and money (it is obvious they ran out) for a possible sequel?

- More crisisevents, more choices, more gameplay overall.
- Put somebody in charge, who takes care, that the pacing and the mainplot doesn't get lost.
- Connect the factions and the plotthreads better with each other.

Mikeal

Arcane
Improve crisis system. Idea was nice but in 99 % of the fights it was easier and faster to kill enemies and don't care for the goals. In that 1% we were forced to achieve crisis goal due to inifinite spam of enemies which is pretty boring and retarded. Also enemy AI needs improvements. In my first fight with Sorrow fragment, enemy spend first 3 turns on powering himself up and not noticing that my team and other castoffs are gangbanging him. He propably would do something in his 4 turn but Erritis killed him before he had a chance.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
  1. improving Crisis system following the steps of Divinity: Originial sin 2 (maybe even Pillars of Eternity 2 if that turns out better system)
  2. deeper character customization and more abilities
  3. additional cities and exploring more geography of Numenera and beyond
  4. improvements in Cyphers and crafting numenera
  5. improving the narrative to be more compelling
  6. faster paced gameplay overall

Lord Andre

Arcane
I liked the writing, quests and general handling of the 3 kids in Cliffs's Edge. The same goes for the mutant kid Paqio or something and his friend in Underbelly, Crooked Qeek or something.

The above characters worked because there was no Mary Sue special snowflake fake drama about them. Their story comes from something very real: being poor, weak and/or ugly.

The psi-op team in the Inn was also good. The fact that the old dude died fighting and they kept an illusion of him around had dramatic impact.

Also about the psi-op guys, VERY IMPORTANT, they were doing something now as opposed to "they did something in the past".

Most NPCs loredump you about shit they did. Who gives a shit ? A good NPC tells you what he is doing now, so you can get involved, so you can care, you know...actual player involvement and interaction...almost like an rpg one would say.

It wasn't important that they were fighting the adversary, it was important that you could join them in the fight.

I'll write more if it comes to me.

Oh yeah the secret chamber in first city, the one with the magic mirrors, that was good. When a player discovers a hidden place that only he and maybe a few know how to access that's good world building, you feel like you have a hideout just for yourself. That place should have had a bit more numenera to eventualy interact with and you should have the option to rest there for free. A proper temporary hideout. Maybe even a chest for loot...

So the guys/gals responsible for the above stuff, promote them, the rest, fire them...

Last edited:

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
- Make Crises less meh, make them like D:OS combat, or something like that, or just take them away.

- Make Meres into Crises, or turn them into actual locations and quests or dreamlike sequences, or take them away entirely. The game already feels like a visual novel, so I do not really feel the need to include this sort of visual novel minigame, whose transition to and from the main game is actually quite abrupt.

-More interaction with the world. Using objects, combining them, and the likes of, like you would in a traditional point&click adventure game.

-More player abilities, skills, and a mechanics system that is actually well-integrated into the gameplay, and that will allow for different approaches to solving quests.

-Better and harder puzzles, both in- and out-side the Crises.

-Definitively more and bigger locations.

-Definitively a more engaging and compelling plot, and more interesting characters, both NPC and party members.

-Make Cyphers actually useful. I finished the whole game easily and without using a single one, nor actually even reading what they actually did.

-C&Cs, on all levels. The player's actions should be a tad more influential.

-Breathe some life into the world. Add factions, things, gossip, or anything that would make the world feel more alive.

-More "traditional" UI. Someone (citation needed, sorry but I can't recall who it was) said it looks like a Winamp skin, and the definition is spot-on.

-Better balanced XP curve or game difficulty: like many others, I reached level cap 2/3rds into the game, and I had been fairly OP since 1/3rd in.

-Some degree of "exploration".

FeelTheRads

Arcane
-More "traditional" UI. Someone (citation needed, sorry but I can't recall who it was) said it looks like a Winamp skin, and the definition is spot-on.

Unless someone proves otherwise, I take credit for that. Although to be honest I started comparing it to a Sonique skin (much more similar) but gradually dumbed it down for people who never heard of that one.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2

Unless someone proves otherwise, I take credit for that. Although to be honest I started comparing it to a Sonique skin (much more similar) but gradually dumbed it down for people who never heard of that one.

It might have been you, but coming to think of it, it actually might have been in that review from some greek website someone posted here.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron

I just found the source. Sorry, it wasn't you, here it is:

Some people wanted consensus. Thanks to a "Totally fair (and random) Number Generator"™ several posts from this magnificent thread were chosen to express general opinion about the game.

numenera_rating.jpg

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
-provided many opportunities to throw insults and laugh at Fraudgo and his cuck crew

-unified Codexian brotherhood through hate

-boosted Youtube view counts of Dragostea din tei

FeelTheRads

Arcane

Some people wanted consensus. Thanks to a "Totally fair (and random) Number Generator"™ several posts from this magnificent thread were chosen to express general opinion about the game.

numenera_rating.jpg

I was calling the UI a winamp skin when TT1 wasn't even born.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
- building characters around cyphers is a good idea, few CRPG's have characters built around consumables. Also cypher sickness. Could use a skill that actually makes cyphers more effective rather than being able to carry more of them

- The tides are ok as a moral system (certainly better and more consistent than PoE's dispositions), they just need to have more effects and be less volatile (oh, I just did one thing... now I'm no longer red!). Also being attuned to two tides at the same time struck me as retarded and dilutive

- T:ToN didn't have to allude to death at every turn like PS:T does. Also in this context, characters that project an anti-SJW agenda like The Genocide were well written and interesting.

- I rather liked the itemization in the game in general

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

numenera_rating.jpg

I was calling the UI a winamp skin then TT1 wasn't even born.

Well, you can always show your post where you called before me. Otherwise you're just a crying moron baby

Here:

Hgjersy.jpg

Last edited:

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Constructive criticism for a sequel: please don't.
Either go back and actually make ToN worthwile, or just don't.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom