Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News THQ Nordic want to remake Gothic, playable teaser released to owners of previous Piranha Bytes games

Discussion in 'News & Content Feedback' started by Infinitron, Dec 13, 2019.

1. Smejki Warhorse Studios Developer

Smejki
    This had to be done
    [​IMG]

• Funny x 12
    • Brofist x 2
    • Cheers!! x 1
    • decline x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • Thanks! x 1
    • Creative x 1
    • (autism) x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Colonel Novice

Colonel
    When watching the comparison video the original Gothic looks better than the remake.

• Agree x 3
    • Brofist x 1
    • decline x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Lord of Riva Prophet Patron

Lord of Riva
    Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Don't get the comment about the females in game. It's a Penal colony for forced Labor, apart from the most powerful Men in the colony which probably got female convicts due to their extortion of the king there is no reason for them to have some female convicts there.

In fact I would argue that it would be counter productive to enable the convicts to just have "families" et all for the purposes the colony exists.

But yeah, from my point of view this "remake" is absolutely atrocious.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • cuck cuck x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Reader Learned

Reader
    I'll add to comment about women.
    It's not like people are living there for ages. Situation with the barrier is relatively new and two camps are trying to find the way to escape. For them this situation is temporary, so nobody cares much about women.
    Also it is mentioned somewhere that some gals are handed down to lower henchmen eventually.

• decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Junmarko Arcane Patron

Junmarko
    Agreed. Diego should only ever be portrayed as an homage to Sean Connery as Ramirez, from Hylander (loosely of course - no Quickening [​IMG])

[​IMG][​IMG]

Lol it was? I only remember Gomez and his Mafiosi having that luxury.

• Brofist x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • incline x 1
    • Creative x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Dexter Arcane

Dexter
    I don't really see that much of a problem with that, since it's specifically not "SARCASTIC"/"RUDE"/"FRIENDLY" replies, it's just the same ol' 4 dialogue options hidden behind a first dialogue option ordered to be easily selectable with a controller, and you even see the full sentence at the bottom when you're hovering over a specific one.

They very much care about women, they care about them as whores, servants and currency though since they're in a prison colony with barely any of them. In fact they're specifically mentioned during the Original Gothic's intro as such as they're being brought down with the other cargo and Orry also talks about it:

And Gomez always had like 2 concubines standing around his throne and a few others scrubbing the floor or whatever in the castle, somehow I don't see this making it in a "modern" Remake of Gothic for some reason...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

^ Top  
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2019
    • Despair Despair x 5
    • Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Reader Learned

Reader
    Well, you're not seeing them on the streets exactly, i just believe someone mentions about their eventual miserable existence.

I obviously meant that Gomez&Co aren't going to build some healthy society or to breed manpower. Neither they're gonna leave these women to their own devices which could lead to "breaking up unbelievable sausage party" as Smejki suggested.

You forgot the current Gomez's favorite bathing in his bedroom heh.
    And yeah, scrubbing the floor probably won't make it to the remake.
    But hey, it's a spain developer so you never know..

^ Top  
  9. You had to post this video, don't you? Now I feel the urge to play Gothic again. I wasn't supposed to play cRPGs this month. I will stop visiting this fucking site, you fucking people.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • incline incline x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Lord of Riva Prophet Patron

Lord of Riva
    Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    The actual truth is that they will not be eaten by Lurkers like any other male in the colony. Not sure if scrubbing the floor and prostituting yourself is comparably worse for them.

EDIT: Also them being a spanish developer is not something that points to an interesting Dynamic when it comes to the sexes. Spain has some of the most feminist friendly laws (read unjust) in Europe.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Smejki Warhorse Studios Developer

Smejki
    None of this is in the game
    Stop using headcanon. It's a shitty approach for excusing holes in story, plot, or world building.
    And considering how sequels handled female NPCs, the state of Gothic 1 is not a coincidence. The disproportion of women in population (about 20:1) of Gothic 2 and 3 is laughable.
    Wasn't Gothic about building a believable world? Immersion? I had no idea it was meant to sell me the immersion of being in a gay bar.

Gothic 1:
    1) Shows a woman descending down the elevator right at the start. This implies she's either a convict or requested prize (by Gomez)
    2) Gomez has a painting of himself surrounded by scantily clad women. This implies approprietly fucked up relation to women
    3) Then there are the 3 strippers in Swamp camp (EDIT: and 2 in the castle)
    And that's it. Nobody talks about this interesting issue anywhere in the game. In this state it would be better if there were no women at all. Then you could assume it's a male-only prison or that the young team didn't have the resources to create females NPCs.

• retadred retadred x 3
    • /facepalm/ /facepalm/ x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Smejki Warhorse Studios Developer

Smejki
    I suspected Gomez to have them in the castle physically but I wasn't sure. Thx for the correction

^ Top  
  13. Junmarko Arcane Patron

Junmarko
    A positive thing about this dev team at least, they are clearly fans as the demo is restricted to people who already own Gothic on Steam. Releasing a vertical slice this early to one specific audience is at least a good indication that they want to get this remake done right with proper feedback.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 3
    • Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Elhoim Iron Tower Studio Developer

Elhoim
    Gameplay video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzR-faBQT2g

Definitely a lot of decisions in the bad direction.

- Main character talking all the time, and what's worse, it's just commenting on what's he's doing.
    - Cutscenes galore, again with the MC talking all the time trying to be funny.
    - NPCs as friendly lore dispensers, speaking to the player, not the character.
    - Cinematic dialogue, which to makes matters worse, has bad writing.
    - Floating health bars definitely look bad in games of this type, as they move around too much and distract. Even Skyrim got that right.
    - Devs, you are not forced to use every post-effect UE4 offers you. Pick and choose.
    - Lens flare for torches... I'll let the game say it for me:

upload_2019-12-15_10-52-59.png

And I could go on...

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Despair Despair x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. Psquit Arcane

Psquit
    Obligatory

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    • Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  16. toro Arcane

toro
    Old.

^ Top  
  17. Smejki Warhorse Studios Developer

Smejki
    Timeless

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    • Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  18. thesecret1 Arcane

thesecret1
    Are you retarded? This was all explained right there in the game. It was a penal colony, ie. only for men that'd do hard labour (mining) for the state. It was never intended for women and was never used as such. The fact there were any women at all in the Old Camp was used as an example of how Gomez managed to turn the situation around thanks to the barrier and is now extorting the king for special favours – the rule of no women in the colony was broken so as to placate Gomez, and they're all strippers because Gomez wanted sluts to fuck. The only thing ridiculous here is you, who pretends to be an authority on Gothic while not knowing the most basic thing about the setting (that it's a penal colony used for hard labour).

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  19. Metro Arcane Beg Auditor

Metro
    At the very least it seems like the combat system is universally disliked. Hopefully they change it.

^ Top  
  20. krist2 Augur Patron

krist2
    Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    wow, must be something of the worst thing I have ever tried, and I played Daikatana ;)

Terrible FOV, bad effects,

And the way the game and history is presented/built up, I must come to the conlusion that the makers of this abomination has never played a Ghotic game, except maybe Arcania a gothic tale...

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Edgy Edgy x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    Now it's been a while since I last played G2 but I'm fairly sure there are loads of women in Khorinis and the surrounding farms. It's certainly not 20:1, unless you're counting the orcs too.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. JDR13 Magister

JDR13
    The teaser left a lot to be desired, but the hyperbole here is kind of funny.

• [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Psquit Arcane

Psquit
    I'm doing my part chief. Who knows maybe the games is going to be fine like new vegas.

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. zwanzig_zwoelf Graverobber Foundation Developer

zwanzig_zwoelf
    Played it for about an hour.

I was right.

This is a Thi4f-tier trainwreck.

• Yes Yes x 3
    ^ Top  
  25. Smejki Warhorse Studios Developer

Smejki
    Well, the ratio is off but still justifiable. After all a bunch of men escaped the colony not too long ago.
    But even with that considered, there are about 10-15 women in Khorinis (some 3-5 traders, 2-3 brothel whores, the thief guild leader, the cook in shanty town, some upper town no-names) and some 3-6 more on the farms.
    Men? My bet is on over a hundred. That's a genetic cesspool. Although G2 is better than G1 in this regard it still hurts (not ruins) the immersion for me.
    Gothic 3 is the worst in this regard. There are like 3 women in the entire Nordmar. I wish I was kidding. Not to mention the abysmal quests with various dancers in Varant where some 15 dancers are the only female population.
    I played Gothic 3 back in September so this is fresh in my memory.

• rolleyes rolleyes x 1
    • NPC #61873 came up with this opinion all by his / herself NPC #61873 came up with this opinion all by his / herself x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.