Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky's new game at Obsidian is being published by Take-Two Interactive

Trashos

Arcane
He's a literal hack. I have no idea how he got to be in charge over there or why some Codexers STILL worship him.

Come on, now, man, you are being unfair. I do not like some of his design sensitivities and decisions either, but he is out there in the open leading projects, battling against codexers, clueless casuals, and failing companies, and he perseveres. He 's definitely got my respect, although he is not one of my favorite designers. He has done a lot of real work that we all know about. I don't know how anyone could call him a hack.

Latro

Arcane
"Imagine a basketball player and a shoe salesman getting together to go on the road with [a] vaudeville show, and you should have a good idea of the 'what' factor involved."

this is the lamest thing i've read in years

Latro

Arcane
pd_developer_obsidianentertainment_team_final_1920x1080.jpg

Development team photo. Over 60 people at Obsidian working on this project.
can someone convince the chinese men on the left to get feargus to green-light an obsidian ROTK project. maybe water margin rpg!

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Yeah, anyway I guess some people have forgotten they were mad about geometric shapes, but we do have two long years ahead of us.

Nobody forgot, you dumbfuck ass-licker of hacks.

He's a literal hack. I have no idea how he got to be in charge over there or why some Codexers STILL worship him. Perhaps he walked in on one of the senior developers at the time molesting a child while collecting the office trash? Who knows?
I don't hate you JE, but you just seem like a tricky dicky.
I would have to be the smoothest operator in the world to dupe multiple teams/companies into making me a lead designer in spite of apparent incompetence.

Irrelevant. What employers consider competence has little bearing on how good the games are. Else we'd be swimming in good games. People getting hired must mean they're good at what they do after all, right?

Also, what a megalomaniacal quote from someone with his history of failures. But those were never his fault, of course. He was lead designer, he must have been good!

Last edited:

Fairfax

Arcane
Feargus may be the CEO, but I doubt he owns a controlling interest. For such a high level position he probably had to get some
of the other partners on board.
Maybe in some cases he had to talk to all the partners, but at BIS and in PoE's case it was just between him and Feargus.

PoE just wasn’t that bad, especially after all the patching. It had a definite whiff of mediocrity, but I don’t know how much of that was Sawyer and how much was trying to fulfill the all the nostalgia induced Kickstarter promises. Maybe I give him too much credit though. I’d certainly rather punch myself in the face than play IWD2.
I wasn't even arguing about the game's quality. My point is that PoE was by far the most influenced by Saywer, so most of his detractors and fans would use it to criticize or praise his work.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Yeah well, if there's one publisher that isn't absolute utter trash, it's T-T. So that's nice.

ArchAngel

Arcane
He's a literal hack. I have no idea how he got to be in charge over there or why some Codexers STILL worship him. Perhaps he walked in on one of the senior developers at the time molesting a child while collecting the office trash? Who knows?
I don't hate you JE, but you just seem like a tricky dicky.
I would have to be the smoothest operator in the world to dupe multiple teams/companies into making me a lead designer in spite of apparent incompetence.
The only explanation left is that he is "the smoothest operator in the world".

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Yeah, with Tyranny we got an excellent idea of what Obsidian is capable of without Sawyer messing things up.

I remain cautiously optimistic if the interns who worked on Tyranny don't have any significant role on this.
Can't say the same about Deadfire.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Well, he's not wrong. He didn't dupe multiple teams/companies, only Feargus. :M

You're overlooking Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows at Midway.

Also, what a megalomaniacal quote from someone with his history of failures. But those were never his fault, of course. He was lead designer, he must have been good!

New Vegas and Pillars of Eternity were both great from a critical and financial perspective. :cool:

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Hope Tim's bold enough to create good and versatile character systems with an impact even if the game wasn't turnbased.

DeepOcean

Arcane
This game is going to be a console/multiplatform action-RPG with some mechanics apparently influenced by Tim's experience with MMO design. I'd guess that it will be less "classic" than Fallout: New Vegas.
Borderlands: Obsidian Edition?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom