Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky's new game at Obsidian is being published by Take-Two Interactive

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Borderlands: Obsidian Edition?

Die Hard: Nakatomi Plaza RPG, where you play the role of John Mclane. The evil boss and the henchmen are being controlled by other players as well.

oYURqYT.jpg

Yippee Ki Yay.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Let’s not jump the gun on assuming this will be a watered down faux-RPG. It’s almost definitely a multi platform action RPG, BUT:

New interview with Boyarsky at PCgamesN:

https://www.pcgamesn.com/leonard-boyarsky-new-obsidian-game-vampire-making-of-diablo-3-story

He says it will be a hardcore RPG with lots of C&C. He says it’s got a lot of focus on the story “and how you play the story.” He describes Obsidian’s recruitment process as “hey, come make another game that you create from scratch, a hardcore RPG in the Troika/Obsidian style.”

And, “it’s pretty obvious that I’m insane and dedicated to making difficult, difficult games with lots of choices and consequence.”

That makes it sounds like something more in the vein of New Vegas or Bloodlines. I think if it was a huge departure from what he did with Tim Cain before, he would be saying very different things. You don’t get two thirds of the Troika band back together if you’re not planning to make something that has a lot in common with Fallout 1/Troika. Plus, for the Sawyer/Obsidian detractors, everything Leonard says makes it sound like the new game is all him and Tim (also Tim Cain looks a little like Orson Welles as he gets older and gradually expands).

PS. What did people think of Diablo 3? I don’t think the new Obsidian title will be anything like it. But apparently Boyarsky was involved in the world building and making it more story focused/lore intensive, which he says was probably a mistake for Diablo. Kind of makes me want to try it, though. Should I bother?

Jrpgfan

Erudite
This game is going to be a console/multiplatform action-RPG with some mechanics apparently influenced by Tim's experience with MMO design. I'd guess that it will be less "classic" than Fallout: New Vegas.

They said it's gonna be an in-depth, reactive RPG which fans of his old games would like. Regardless of the combat system and other systems implemented, that's reason enough to be optimistic.

Trashos

Arcane
Let’s not jump the gun on assuming this will be a watered down faux-RPG. It’s almost definitely a multi platform action RPG, BUT:

New interview with Boyarsky at PCgamesN:

https://www.pcgamesn.com/leonard-boyarsky-new-obsidian-game-vampire-making-of-diablo-3-story

He says it will be a hardcore RPG with lots of C&C. He says it’s got a lot of focus on the story “and how you play the story.” He describes Obsidian’s recruitment process as “hey, come make another game that you create from scratch, a hardcore RPG in the Troika/Obsidian style.”

And, “it’s pretty obvious that I’m insane and dedicated to making difficult, difficult games with lots of choices and consequence.”

That makes it sounds like something more in the vein of New Vegas or Bloodlines. I think if it was a huge departure from what he did with Tim Cain before, he would be saying very different things. You don’t get two thirds of the Troika band back together if you’re not planning to make something that has a lot in common with Fallout 1/Troika. Plus, for the Sawyer/Obsidian detractors, everything Leonard says makes it sound like the new game is all him and Tim (also Tim Cain looks a little like Orson Welles as he gets older and gradually expands).

PS. What did people think of Diablo 3? I don’t think the new Obsidian title will be anything like it. But apparently Boyarsky was involved in the world building and making it more story focused/lore intensive, which he says was probably a mistake for Diablo. Kind of makes me want to try it, though. Should I bother?

I think we can be optimistic about the world the duo is going to create, but combatwise.... eh, I don't know.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Arcanum II.

You know you want it.

Alas, they've said repeatedly that it's a new IP. Given their track record, though, I'm pretty enthusiastic.
Activision owns the rights to Arcanum so a sequel can't happen, but they could release a spiritual successor in a setting that's just Arcanum with the serial numbers filed off. It's not gonna happen though, since Arcanum steampunk has been ruined by hipster faggots gluing gears to top hats and is now firmly in its grave.

DeepOcean

Arcane
I learned that they are called landwhales....
Think positively, it is well known the the square root of the amount of belly fat times calories consumed is equal the incline factor. This must mean it will be a very, very incline game.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
FNV sign - hint, or bait?

It's a none-too-subtle reminder of the greatest game Obsidian has ever developed; that's all. Best not to read too much into it.

It can't possibly be a Fallout-related hint, because the new game is being published by the titular new indie publishing label, which is a subsidiary of Take-Two Interactive. Bethesdumb and Zionmax would never allow a rival to publish a Fallout-related game.

That's probably why you got a retarded rating, but I wouldn't worry about it. We don't expect game developers to actually be smart or anything, so you're fine.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron

Bethesda will never EVER let anyone outside of their control write their games again. FNV is an aberration from the quartet of Morrowind/Oblivion/Skyrim/Fallout3, and Fallout 4 is returning to form.

And everyone knows that ultimately, the reason was because they saw how shit their own work was.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Bethesda will never EVER let anyone outside of their control write their games again. FNV is an aberration from the quartet of Morrowind/Oblivion/Skyrim/Fallout3, and Fallout 4 is returning to form.

And everyone knows that ultimately, the reason was because they saw how shit their own work was.

I really wonder about this. Could Todd Howard’s insecurity truly be overpowering his colossal greed? Does Zenimax care about his insecurity??

I think we haven’t gotten any third party Fallout spinoffs yet because they’re still milking 4—just released the GOTY edition (I wonder how hard they had to dig to find someone that named it game of the year) and the VR version.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Bethesda truly believes 3 and 4 are better than New Vegas because they don’t particularly enjoy RPG elements and care so much more about the hiking simulator aspect and cinematic storytelling. I bet when they played F:NV they thought to themselves: “walking around the desert is so boring and where are all the cutscenes?”

The other reason might be that, other than Obsidian, which has been busy with its own IPs, who else could they get to make it? How many mid tier RPG developers are left? You think they’d trust InXile? Maybe they only want a pseudo RPG developer and go with the guys who made Horizon Zero Dawn, which would be entirely the wrong direction (although the lead writer from F:NV works for them now), but also seems like a very Bethesda decision.

Here’s an idea: when Deadfire is done, Obsidian should offer to make another Sawyer Fallout spinoff, but as a $50 or $60 Bethesda creation club DLC for Fallout 4. Todd would probably go for that.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I really wonder about this. Could Todd Howard’s insecurity truly be overpowering his colossal greed? Does Zenimax care about his insecurity??

I think we haven’t gotten any third party Fallout spinoffs yet because they’re still milking 4—just released the GOTY edition (I wonder how hard they had to dig to find someone that named it game of the year) and the VR version.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Bethesda truly believes 3 and 4 are better than New Vegas because they don’t particularly enjoy RPG elements and care so much more about the hiking simulator aspect and cinematic storytelling. I bet when they played F:NV they thought to themselves: “walking around the desert is so boring and where are all the cutscenes?”

Loose-lipped Jason Schreier spilled the beans (and then deleted when he realized he shouldn't have).

DQOp3H2WkAInw61.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom